The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #201
mat-chow
Side-Kick

Default Re: Darkseid is the Villain in Justice League

Performance capture, with how far it's come, seems to me the best way to go for Darkseid. I can't believe I actually just typed that about an Actually-potentially happening JL movie!!! This movie can kill if they let Darkseid be the true terror he is...

mat-chow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #202
thorstone
Side-Kick

Imagine Hellboy done in CGI. Or Darth Vader. There is nothing about this character's appearance that needs CGI.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #203
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
The reason WW is A-list is because of her place in pop culture. Anybody and almost everybody knows and could identify pictures of Wonder Woman in the general public. She's probably the third best known DC hero after Superman and Batman and before 2008, she was probably more recognizable than Iron Man.

To the people who don't want Darkseid to be CGI, I don't see where YOU guys are coming from :/ A live action man in makeup? I just cannot fathom why WB would do that. The performance capture seems reasonable, but no less than that at least.
Wonder Woman is not that A-list is you think about it. She is iconic in the same way Flash and Green Lantern are iconic, in the sense that you show a picture of them and the average Joe will recognize her but that is about it. Being an A-list iconic character means more than just that. It not only means that everyone including the GA recognizes the character but that everyone also knows some basic things about the character. Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man are recognized by everyone but at the same time, everyone knows a bit about them beyond just the look and powers. Everyone knows their origin, can sum up a "in a nutshell" about their motivations, can recognize some of their supporting cast and villains, and whenever a new movie comes out with them, their names alone are responsible for a good chunk of the sales revenue.

Iron Man falls in the same iconic category at this point. Not only you can show a picture of him to your average Joe and he will recognize him but he also has RDJ's name attached to him and the general audience knows more about him beyond just how he looks like. They know a bit about his character such as his personality, supporting characters, etc. The same can't be applied to Wonder Woman yet thus Iron Man is currently a lot more iconic than she is so I don't understand why she would be an A-list if Iron Man isn't.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #204
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

The word 'icon' gets thrown around too liberally. Superman and Batman are the only icons. They are so far above comic books and movies.

Their movies don't even need their names in the title. People know them by their ****ing nicknames.

Last edited by Jake Cassidy; 12-08-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #205
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Yeah. Superman and Batman are in a league entirely of their own. They have truly transcended the genre. They are so far above A-List. I'd consider the A-Listers:

Robin
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Whoever happens to be big at the moment.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #206
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
The word 'icon' gets thrown around too liberally. Superman and Batman are the only icons. They are so far above comic books and movies.

Their movies don't even need their names in the title. People know them by their ****ing nicknames.
I'd say you can add the Spider to that.

Anyways, about Darkseid as CGi; have you people not seen Avatar (which came out 6 years before JL's supposed release)? The Hulk in The Avengers? Beowulf? Computer animation has come so far, it's basically a no-brainer!

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #207
Sun_Down
Groovy

RT featured this in their Rotten Ideas segment. Seems a bit harsh, no?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #208
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
I'd say you can add the Spider to that.

Anyways, about Darkseid as CGi; have you people not seen Avatar (which came out 6 years before JL's supposed release)? The Hulk in The Avengers? Beowulf? Computer animation has come so far, it's basically a no-brainer!
It just isn't necessary to make a complete CGI Darkseid unless you want to turn him into a giant beast like Hulk. All you need are prosthetics, CGI enhancements and play around with the camera, to make him a really imposing figure.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #209
combocaz
Side-Kick

CGI and Prosthetics, all the close up head shots and acting with prosthetics. CGI for action scenes.i expect darkseid to be atleast 9" tall.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
combocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #210
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
Heres the thing.Creating a world that has superheros running around for a while is not hard.The Incredibles did it in one go.I say set the Justice league in a time where superheroes are the norm-the advantage is that it does away the need for origins just like it did in incredibles.That doesnt mean superheroes are embraced though people still fear them,a fear the Hyperclan can exploit.
Origins would probably be saved for the possible solo movies, but I don't think it has to go as far as superheroes being the norm. As it was mentioned upthread, the New 52 shows the superheroes slowly emerging and being feared by the public. If this movie ties in with "Man of Steel" then he was the first emergence of a superhero, and the public was fearful of him, and after that, suddenly they start getting reports of other emerging superheroes. The New 52 started at a good point where there are reports of superheroes but I think the JL movie should show a little bit more, show the individual heroes in their cities doing what they do even if briefly, and show the reaction in these cities to their appearances. Maybe the sudden emergence of these heroes and the more public exposure of them is because there is the looming threat of Darkseid, and there are incidents occurring around the world because of his doing.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #211
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
Origins would probably be saved for the possible solo movies, but I don't think it has to go as far as superheroes being the norm. As it was mentioned upthread, the New 52 shows the superheroes slowly emerging and being feared by the public. If this movie ties in with "Man of Steel" then he was the first emergence of a superhero, and the public was fearful of him, and after that, suddenly they start getting reports of other emerging superheroes. The New 52 started at a good point where there are reports of superheroes but I think the JL movie should show a little bit more, show the individual heroes in their cities doing what they do even if briefly, and show the reaction in these cities to their appearances. Maybe the sudden emergence of these heroes and the more public exposure of them is because there is the looming threat of Darkseid, and there are incidents occurring around the world because of his doing.
Well, Man of Steel is already teasing how the world is fearful of superheroes with the poster of Supes in cuffs as well as the leaked comic con footage of Superman stepping out of rubble with the military aiming their guns at him. So it seems they will be emulating the New 52 approach of having a world just now getting used to the idea of superpowered beings.

So I don't think nor do I hope that superheroes will be the "norm" in the world of the JL movie. However, they could be in the public eye at least like you said. Getting a glimpse of each hero doing acts of heroism in the city but the public backlashing due to the destruction that follows. A plot point could be the heroes trying to manage the level of destruction that their battles bring about.

But unlike the New 52, it could be cool if at the end of JL, the public still isn't 100% supportive of superheroes leading to the formation of Cadmus and possibly the Suicide Squad? I don't know, I'm still in kicking around ideas mode.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #212
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'd cast Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Darkseid and use prosthetics

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #213
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

If there's a Parademon invasion, how will that be made different from the Chitauri hordes in Avengers?

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #214
TheWatcher
Dapper

It would be all over the world.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #215
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
But unlike the New 52, it could be cool if at the end of JL, the public still isn't 100% supportive of superheroes leading to the formation of Cadmus and possibly the Suicide Squad? I don't know, I'm still in kicking around ideas mode.
The government could set up something to keep an eye on them, like the Green Lantern movie tried to do with the Amanda Waller character. The government would be in a panic if there was an alien invasion and the emergence of vigilante superheroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
If there's a Parademon invasion, how will that be made different from the Chitauri hordes in Avengers?
I agree, that's why I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

I'm hoping that Darkseid influences events and people around the world, criminals, villains, so that it won't just be a parademon invasion from the get-go, with nothing else. As well as a direct battle against Darkseid himself.

Last edited by Willi Berg; 12-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #216
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
The government could set up something to keep an eye on them, like the Green Lantern movie tried to do with the Amanda Waller character. The government would be in a panic if there was an alien invasion and the emergence of vigilante superheroes.

I agree, that's why I'm hoping there's more to it than that.

I'm hoping that Darkseid influences events and people around the world, criminals, villains, so that it won't just be a parademon invasion from the get-go, with nothing else. As well as a direct battle against Darkseid himself.
Yep that's what I meant by Cadmus. It's actually an understandable move on the government's part. Like in real events, since countries have been showing signs of having nuclear weapons, we've gotten wary of their development and have set up all kinds of policies and even started conflicts to make sure they aren't used against us. It's just the basics of survival to try to counteract the most powerful force in the ecosystem.

And to separate Parademons from Chitauri, they could make the Parademons intelligent or at least somewhat so. The Chitauri were the typical mindless henchmen types who's only strength were their numbers. The Parademons should be formidable foes individually as well as collectively. If we see any one of the heroes struggling to take down just one of them in a 1v1 then it'd set the tone for how dramatic of a threat Darkseid's army poses. This was the problem with the lack of danger in Avengers: they were picking off the aliens too easily. Pretty much nothing touched the heroes except in scenes that were constructed for dramatic effect.

Also the Parademons should perform parts in Darkseid's plan rather than just charge in a straight line like the Chitauri. They should be sabotaging, infiltrating, spying, stealing, and the like rather than just being foot soldiers. Maybe even allow some of them to talk so we see that they're intelligent and not just a hive mind.

Or, and this wouldn't be as preferable but, they could not include them at all and just have Darkseid and his posse. It could work, but I don't know :/

Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #217
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also the Parademons should perform parts in Darkseid's plan rather than just charge in a straight line like the Chitauri. They should be sabotaging, infiltrating, spying, stealing, and the like rather than just being foot soldiers. Maybe even allow some of them to talk so we see that they're intelligent and not just a hive mind.

Or, and this wouldn't be as preferable but, they could not include them at all and just have Darkseid and his posse. It could work, but I don't know :/
I wouldn't mind if the focus isn't on the Parademons. Them just invading could get repetitive really quickly.

It would be good to see them do more than just mindlessly attack.

Quote:
Getting a glimpse of each hero doing acts of heroism in the city but the public backlashing due to the destruction that follows. A plot point could be the heroes trying to manage the level of destruction that their battles bring about.
Not just the destruction but the idea of superpowered beings even existing. "Man of Steel" will explore that and now there will be even more "superheroes" - aliens, humans, Amazons etc. That opens up a whole can of worms about what's out there (aliens, gods etc.) and the people of Earth will react and have to get used to that. And initially fear that.

Not that I think that the movie has to dwell on that, but I think it should explore that aspect a bit more than the Avengers movie did.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #218
thorstone
Side-Kick

Perhaps we need to approach Darkseid in reverse.

Darkseid has two sons; and if either appear in the JL film, they will be played by men in costumes. Darkseid, like his sons, was once fleshy and human in appearance. The Omega Force made him look monsterous, but it did not change him into a nine foot tall special effect.

Doomsday is a massive special effects creature. Darkseid is not.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #219
Nathan

I definitely do not want this.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #220
Lobo
Willa ♥

I'd be happy with this design for Darkseid on film

Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #221
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #222
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Perhaps we need to approach Darkseid in reverse.

Darkseid has two sons; and if either appear in the JL film, they will be played by men in costumes. Darkseid, like his sons, was once fleshy and human in appearance. The Omega Force made him look monsterous, but it did not change him into a nine foot tall special effect.

Doomsday is a massive special effects creature. Darkseid is not.
Darkseid has three sons if you count Grayven.

Orion will look human, but Kalibak will require prostethics and CGI for his look. He needs to be a beast. I think Darkseid needs to be taller than any human could possibly be, and larger as well. Personally, I'd like a mixture of protethics and CGI for him too.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #223
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Yeah. Superman and Batman are in a league entirely of their own. They have truly transcended the genre. They are so far above A-List. I'd consider the A-Listers:

Robin
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Whoever happens to be big at the moment.
The A-list is actually:

Batman
Spider-Man
Superman
Hot Names of the moment.

When Wonder Woman gets a motion picture trilogy, or even a movie, call me. Until then, she's not on that level of fame. Anyone who says so is coming at it from a total DC bias (which I guess I should expect on a Justice League board.)

Last edited by KangConquers; 12-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #224
Lobo
Willa ♥

I'd say Wolverine is A list now or bordering it. Hulk, too

but yeah Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman are the premier names. Also before anyone goes ape**** I was just typing their names nit putting them in order of fame.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #225
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I definitely do not want this.

What exactly don't you want?

The design? The scene? The quote? Or the character himself?

But to me, this proves exactly why Darkseid can't just be a guy in a costume. This is his natural size (or at least something close to it) based on how he has been portrayed in a number of mediums. I'd actually be more so in favor of prosthetic with CGI enhancement rather than full one CGI so this doesn't look like a Transformers movie but there is no way they can capture his full visual essence with makeup. More so than most characters, I feel that Darkseid's appearance has a bit of importance as to how effective his portrayal will be.