Raoul Duke
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

oh i'd agree with that.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #527
weezerspider
Side-Kick

If the general consensus for The Hobbit stays fairly moderate, that could boost TDKR chances of getting the blockbuster token spot if they nominate 10 BP.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #528
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Very surprised about The Hobbit. Only 75% on RT with quite a few saying its boring and to stretched out.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #529
Raoul Duke
Banned User

i'm not sure what i'd choose out of rises and avengers if there was to be a token oscar nom for a blockbuster. neither are oscar worthy, but i think avengers was executed better. but then rises was more ambitious and had some truly great acting performances.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #530
Edguy
Banned User

Better not win visual effects, someone seriously needs to teach Nolan how explosions work.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #531
jacobed
Banned User

They deserve special effects big time. The Bat alone deserves it, man alive it looks amazing

Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #532
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
They deserve special effects big time. The Bat alone deserves it, man alive it looks amazing
Yep. How good is Life of Pi's cgi though? Haven't seen it yet.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #533
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Special effects and visual effects are two different things.

Special effects are things like the semi-flip in TDK, done practically and shot on set.

Visual effects are things done on a computer during post-production.

Nolan and his crew are absolute masters of using mostly special effects and mixing them with a few visual effects (look at the opening plane sequence) so I think they more than deserve a nomination.

Free Original Music
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #534
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Very surprised about The Hobbit. Only 75% on RT with quite a few saying its boring and to stretched out.
When you're book is barely 300 pages, cut to three films with added material from the appendices, and it's already announced that there's going to be extended cuts for each film, yeah, I'm not surprised people are bored with it.

It should've either been one, long 3 hour films or two 2 hour films. No more.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #535
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Life of Pi deserves to win best visual effects.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #536
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
i'm not sure what i'd choose out of rises and avengers if there was to be a token oscar nom for a blockbuster. neither are oscar worthy, but i think avengers was executed better. but then rises was more ambitious and had some truly great acting performances.
Don't worry about Avengers getting a token slot. At this point, I cannot imagine a Marvel produced film ever being nominated for anything other than Visual Effects.

TDKR has a very, very slim shot at getting a tenth token slot. Too bad, because the second film was why there were ten nominations in the first place.

--John Adams
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #537
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I can't wrap my mind around Avengers getting a Best Film nomination, even if it's for the "token" blockbuster spot. While it did have some soul along with absolute fantastic action, it wasn't nearly as heart-wrenching of a CBM as TDKR is.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #538
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I can't wrap my mind around Avengers getting a Best Film nomination, even if it's for the "token" blockbuster spot. While it did have some soul along with absolute fantastic action, it wasn't nearly as heart-wrenching of a CBM as TDKR is.
Skyfall will get that spot if there is even one available. It was released close to awards season, so it would be less likely to be forgotten.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #539
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I feel like on some level...when a movie makes over a billion dollars, and is well-reviewed, there should be almost a sense of obligation on the part of the Academy to nominate it. Tentpole filmmaking is what keeps the studios running. The money the studios make on these huge movies is what enables them to make a lot of your typical Oscar season fare, which aren't nearly as profitable.

Large scale filmmaking, when it's done right, ought to be celebrated by the Academy, if only for this reason. So whether it's Skyfall, Avengers, or TDKR, I feel like they should make an effort to nominate at least something outside their comfort zone. It's why the category was expanded in the first place, right? To allow for more variety in an effort to reverse the downward ratings trend?

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #540
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I feel like on some level...when a movie makes over a billion dollars, and is well-reviewed, there should be almost a sense of obligation on the part of the Academy to nominate it. Tentpole filmmaking is what keeps the studios running. The money the studios make on these huge movies is what enables them to make a lot of your typical Oscar season fare, which aren't nearly as profitable.

Large scale filmmaking, when it's done right, ought to be celebrated by the Academy, if only for this reason. So whether it's Skyfall, Avengers, or TDKR, I feel like they should make an effort to nominate at least something outside their comfort zone. It's why the category was expanded in the first place, right? To allow for more variety in an effort to reverse the downward ratings trend?
Agreed...and IMO the best of that bunch is TDKR. However, I'd be happy for any of the three if they were to be nominated.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 AM   #541
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Skyfall probably has the best chance, whatever that's worth.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #542
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Skyfall probably has the best chance, whatever that's worth.
Yeah I agree. Bardem has also been popping at a lot of nominations for the critics groups so Skyfall is definitely on their radar.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #543
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I would say TDKR has a better chance simply because it could be perceived as a nod to the ambition of the whole trilogy--in particular TDK which the Academy infamously snubbed in 2008 thereby creating this whole 10 picture nominating system.

But honestly, TDKR is not as good as TDK. Nor is Skyfall and definitely not Avengers. It is a crowded year and the Academy I think will use that as an excuse to ignore all big tent poles. I only think Nolan and Mendes made films worthy of such consideration, but it probably won't happen. Oh well.

--John Adams
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #544
TheBat812
Side-Kick

One thing I think really holds Nolan films back is that their genius is only appreciated with many repeated viewings. On the surface they tend to exploit convention so well that you know it was entertaining, but then beneath that there's so much thought and meaning put into every little facet. I doubt many Academy voters put that kind of time into it.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #545
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I wouldn't be surprised if SkyFall got a token nom over the other comicbook movies. It's got a director the academy loves and it's been very well reviewed. Plus Bardem. Yes the Academy gave Ledger one and obviously liked Bale enough to give him one but I just don't see the same amount of love surrounding Rises, I see love from some ciricles but it doesn't have the near universal praise that TDK got. Crazier things have happened but if the never nominated for best film Harry Potter didn't a pity nom for the last flick why expect this one to?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #546
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I would say TDKR has a better chance simply because it could be perceived as a nod to the ambition of the whole trilogy--in particular TDK which the Academy infamously snubbed in 2008 thereby creating this whole 10 picture nominating system.
That's kind of how I see it. It's the last chance for the Academy to honor this particular body of work, so I feel like if any tentpole film deserves a nom this year, it's this one.

At the same time, the Bond franchise is another really old, beloved franchise, so I'd be happy for Skyfall to pick up the nomination as well, even though I don't think it's quite as great as TDKR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
One thing I think really holds Nolan films back is that their genius is only appreciated with many repeated viewings. On the surface they tend to exploit convention so well that you know it was entertaining, but then beneath that there's so much thought and meaning put into every little facet. I doubt many Academy voters put that kind of time into it.
I tend to agree. I do think this is probably the case for a good amount of the Academy voters. The problem is they don't consider a CB movie as something worthy of approaching with that level of thought. I think they can tell the movie is "trying" to be smart, and this further turns them off.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #547
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if SkyFall got a token nom over the other comicbook movies. It's got a director the academy loves and it's been very well reviewed. Plus Bardem. Yes the Academy gave Ledger one and obviously liked Bale enough to give him one but I just don't see the same amount of love surrounding Rises, I see love from some ciricles but it doesn't have the near universal praise that TDK got. Crazier things have happened but if the never nominated for best film Harry Potter didn't a pity nom for the last flick why expect this one to?
The only major difference between Nolan's trilogy and Harry Potter is that whether overt or implicit, Nolan's trilogy has had an impact on the "upper" awards at the Academy before in a previous entry. Heath Ledger won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar which was deserved (even if we want to get into the politics of why he actually got it) and was an explicit nod to the film/trilogy. They then changed their format in 2009 to include 10 nominees because of the monumental backlash for snubbing TDK in 2008 from a BP nomination (especially when it was more worthy than at least three of the films nominated). There is the implicit history. Harry Potter was never once recognized or famously snubbed in such a way.

However, I do agree that this by no means improves TDKR. At the end of the day, I don't think any of the fanboy films this year (TDKR, Skyfall and especially Avengers) will get nominated. I'm just saying why I thought TDKR has a better chance than the other two. Anyway, all three are vastly superior to Avatar. If that can get a nomination, any of these three should. And that's coming from someone who doesn't think Avengers should be nominated.

Just my speculation.

--John Adams
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #548
kvz5
HBIC

It made AFI's Top 10 list:

Quote:
AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR

ARGO
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
DJANGO UNCHAINED
LES MISÉRABLES
LIFE OF PI
LINCOLN
MOONRISE KINGDOM
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
ZERO DARK THIRTY
http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/afi-...-2012-winners/

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #549
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Way to go Anne for being in two of AFI's top ten of the year!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #550
kvz5
HBIC

Joe is in 2 of them too. It would've been 3 if he didn't back out of Django.

Closed Thread