The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #726
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man v.2 - Part 3

Yeah, I could understand people not liking the arc or Slott's writing, but to latch onto something like this is just dumb. I'm personally loving everything about this arc and Slott's run in general and can't wait to see what happens next.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #727
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
I have to admit I laughed at the weakened word bubble

"...aaaah...!"
LOL, I'm surprised that didn't lead to his second coronary in 90 seconds.

I thought it was a humorous moment in the middle of a dreary time for Pete.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #728
WeeZiTe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
I have to admit I laughed at the weakened word bubble

"...aaaah...!"
Me too, haha. Just imagining Ock's voice at death's door letting out an "ahh!" whimper is hysterical. I also found Hulk's weakened word bubble where he said, "Hulk not scared." in Avengers #1 this week to be very funny too.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #729
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I don't see the big deal either. Slott's arc is interesting, and dare I say bold, and this was a funny moment in a terrible situation, which helped not to cry :'(.... I don't know, to me, it was totally in character anyway, and I like when writers use the character's history.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #730
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
From a Wacker interview:

Apparently Dan and I are alone in our love for Cardiac

I've always wanted to see Cardiac in a larger spotlight. He's one of the first characters that I followed when I was first getting into comics, starting with Amazing Spider-Man and then through titles like Nightwatch and Wolverine. I LOVE Cardiac.

I do those comicbook binds (my own personal trades basically) and I'm considering making one featuring all of Cardiac's apparances in one collection.
I've always felt Cardiac is EXTREMELY underrated as a character.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #731
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

I just went back and read all the stuff I've missed over the last few days. Anyone else notice that Slott generally takes more exception with what stillanerd says over anyone else's comments more often than not? (Granted, I actually enjoy watching stillanerd make his predictions and seeing Slott blow up at him trying to downplay those predictions). I do have to wonder, though, how many stories have you actually changed because Mike was right, Dan? For some reason I get the feeling that this Doc Ock story was another case of "Mike got it right" but this time you just decided to go with it cause you have too much invested in the story.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to talk badly about you, Dan, just making an observation.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #732
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
I just went back and read all the stuff I've missed over the last few days. Anyone else notice that Slott generally takes more exception with what stillanerd says over anyone else's comments more often than not? (Granted, I actually enjoy watching stillanerd make his predictions and seeing Slott blow up at him trying to downplay those predictions). I do have to wonder, though, how many stories have you actually changed because Mike was right, Dan? For some reason I get the feeling that this Doc Ock story was another case of "Mike got it right" but this time you just decided to go with it cause you have too much invested in the story.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to talk badly about you, Dan, just making an observation.
It's not just to stillanerd, Dan yelled at me too.

But I agree Dan has been more defensive as opposed to just debating. I appreciate his passion for his craft and the character of Spider-Man but it seems like he takes things said on another board and takes out his frustration on all forums he frequents.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #733
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

So what's the deal with issue 699.1? Is it a part of this Doc Ock story, or is it just a side thing? I'm picking this series up for my brother (he has 698 and 699), and am wondering if I should just wait for 700.

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #734
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
So what's the deal with issue 699.1? Is it a part of this Doc Ock story, or is it just a side thing? I'm picking this series up for my brother (he has 698 and 699), and am wondering if I should just wait for 700.
it seems
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
that it takes place right after Spider-Man escapes from the raft with Trapster etc. I imagine he'll encounter the Ock/Spider-Man and not realize that it isn't peter

Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #735
Spider-Jay420
Welcome Back Peter Parker

Yeah, its like a zero issue for Morbius' new ongoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you've got some really good poses in there man. *congrats*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
SpideyJay.....I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nice ass display! They look sweet, man.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #736
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

I haven't been following conversations/debates in this topic too closely, and to a degree it seems ASM is never far from me since it's often either the "book of the week" at my Examiner column or it's one of the 3-4 comics I choose to review for that column at least since the "Big Time" era began roughly 2 years ago. While I wouldn't be honest if I said it's been a run which was flawless or that I had no criticisms with now and then, on the whole it's been a run which I not only have enjoyed tremendously, but it is probably the best run on ASM I have read since at least the 90's when I was a kid. I can't remember liking ASM as much on a regular, monthly basis as consistently since the 90's, pre-CLONE SAGA.

I naturally liked the whole Hobgoblin war thing, and I think the subplot of Kingsley essentially making a living setting up "super villain franchises" both in the states and abroad is brilliant. I'd probably like to see more of that than Morbius.

As for the whole ASM #700 thing, and the lead up to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, while I normally would be a bit wary of such a thing, I've liked this era of ASM enough that I'm not melting down until I see the issues. A reboot was actually planned before Marvel NOW! but I think all of us know that whenever editorial or management decide to "revive" ASM and add SS-M's numbers to its grand total - perhaps in time for another $5.99 and up anniversary or special issue - they will. This is a Marvel which will seriously sell one issue as a FINAL ISSUE on the cover and then have an ad for the fresh #1 coming out next month on the final page (such as for X-MEN LEGACY or UNCANNY X-MEN or so on). That sort of thing happens above the heads of most writers so it's something I deal with. Naturally the biggest concern for me is where Peter Parker ends up, and who is Spidey in SUPERIOR and all that.

I think this story's done a terrific job in making a plot which has been done to death in most pop culture fiction - the "mind swap episode" - and added a lot more suspense and buzz to it. I mean, it's such a well worn trope that when "JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED" did it, they played it to the hilt for comedy. Beyond that one joke about Aunt May (and while it probably was a little cheap, I expected some sort of joke here and there in this story; it's Slott, jokes are his thing), it is being played very seriously. ASM #698 was extremely well done to the point where the cover was the first panel and an immediate re-read was hardly out of order.

My theories?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Since I doubt Ock will still be in Peter's body after ASM #700, I feel what happens is victory with a price. Maybe Ock's experimented on Peter's form to the extent that he can't resume being Peter Parker for a while - sort of like the six-armed phase or one of Spidey's other transformations. Or of course Ock has so tarnished Peter's reputation via some act that he has to lay low until things sort out. I am less convinced that Spider-Man is being replaced mostly because no obvious or even vague suspects have been utilized or built up. Alpha was packed off into his own mini series. Kaine is in his own title now. Miguel O'Hara resulted from a Twitter rumor but that's very out of left field (especially since Miguel wouldn't be born for another few decades). Black horse candidates are Mac Gargan or Spider-Slayer, but both are cyborgs now. There's the last of the MVP clones from A:TI who Slott created, but that's likely more out of left field than Miguel would be.

It is funny how "Big Time" has seemed to parallel John Bryne's run via some details, which saw Peter become a scientist and then be replaced by someone else briefly as Spider-Man too. I suppose it goes to show that it's always the execution which defines a story, not the details.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that I might not like the result of ASM #700, but at this point I'm in it for the long haul, with SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN on my pull. I've liked both "event" style ASM stories Slott has written or co-written, so I'm not in a panic over this one. One thing which does concern me is that ASM's sales have been mostly consistent since 2008, never falling below 52k an issue (not including international sales or subscriptions) in its 2-3 times a month schedule and often rising far above that through sheer storyline promotion. Switching to SS-M risks losing some of those ASM readers and it could backfire. The obvious recent example is when Marvel made WOLVERINE: WEAPON X the core Logan book and allowed Daken to take over WOLVERINE as DARK WOLVERINE. Wolverine's sales have STILL never recovered since then, at least as a solo title. The expected result is that sales spike for the first few issues of SS-M and then resume at normal ASM levels, at which case it'll have done no harm. Ideal result is sales for SS-M spike and remain above ASM levels for a year or more, but that's not as certain. It isn't the story itself which concerns me; it's the "trying to fix what isn't broke" reboot of ASM as something else. Overall it's Spider-Man; he'll be fine. But I'd rather not see embarrassing sales figures down the line for SS-M, which would make a "return of ASM" look more desperate than it should a year or two or whenever down the line.

Naturally ASM #700 will be a huge issue, and I do wonder if a Morbius book will survive as long as SCARLET SPIDER has.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #737
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Still not 100% on a couple of alleged details on Superior, but I'm gonna reserve judgement. At least I know I like the costume. One thing I'm interested to know it the character dynamics between Superior and the old Spider-man's supporting characters and how the other Avengers interact with him.

Also, I'm not up to date on the planned Age of Ultron. Is that going to be contemporary or set in the future like Age of Apocalypse? I'm just wondering if AoU will feature Superior or the genuine article.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #738
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Still not 100% on a couple of alleged details on Superior, but I'm gonna reserve judgement. At least I know I like the costume. One thing I'm interested to know it the character dynamics between Superior and the old Spider-man's supporting characters and how the other Avengers interact with him.

Also, I'm not up to date on the planned Age of Ultron. Is that going to be contemporary or set in the future like Age of Apocalypse? I'm just wondering if AoU will feature Superior or the genuine article.
check out the Superior Spider-man thread in the Spider-man boards

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #739
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Quote:
From the looks of this preview it looks like Peter will be Spider-Man whenever AoU takes place. Given that the story was delayed and may take place in the future, I wouldn't count this as a spoiler towards Superior.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42269

Last edited by SpideyForPrez; 12-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #740
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyForPrez View Post
From the looks of this preview it looks like Peter will be Spider-Man whenever AoU takes place. Given that the story was delayed and may take place in the future, I wouldn't count this as a spoiler towards Superior.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42269
Thanks for the info.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #741
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Just found this old Wizard magazine where a Psychiatrist actually analyzed Doctor Octopus,
and thought you might get a kick out of it. It made me think of how him being in Peter's mind/body
might effect his personality. And why Doc Ock could be Spider-Man.

Dr. Fischoff's analysis: the dichotomy of Octavius' dual personality is key to his treatment.
"His original timidity, which can return in certain situations if he is traumatized, suggests a
softness that might make it possible to reach Dr. Octavius and turn his life around. But he
always seems to revert to his aggressive crime boss at some point, and that is because his
timid state reminds him of his own limitations, and he can't bear that."
As for why the dichotomy exists, Dr. Fischoff suggests the subject may be attempting to
satisfy some "long-ago, unresolved sibling rivalry or issue with his father." This would not
only account for Octavius' original fearfulness and feelings of self doubt, but his newly
found aggressiveness as well.

He goes on to suggest treatment as well such as confronting his past self, getting a CT
scan to see if he has a tumor, because the lab accident that created him also damaged his
brain. He also said that if his brain passes the tests then there are certain cognitive behavioral
approaches, actually teaching him to think differently.
So perhaps Ock being in Peter's body/mind and having all of Peter's memories will effect his own
personality. Maybe this is why he is able to be Superior Spider-Man for so long. He becomes a true hero.
Darker than Peter maybe but not evil perhaps.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #742
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I just got spoiled Amazing Spider-Man #700

Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #743
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I just got spoiled Amazing Spider-Man #700
Aww crap no way? Was it in the Superior Spider-Man thread? I've been avoiding ever since I saw the word spoiler in it this week

Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #744
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
Aww crap no way? Was it in the Superior Spider-Man thread? I've been avoiding ever since I saw the word spoiler in it this week
Spoilers abound. It seems as though there has been another leak.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #745
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spoilers abound. It seems as though there has been another leak.
Im gonna have to be extra careful so, seeing as my copy wont be delivered till the 2nd

Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #746
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
Nope, it leaked online and I accidentally stumbled on it. So be careful.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #747
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Nope, it leaked online and I accidentally stumbled on it. So be careful.
Christ, some people just like spoiling things on people

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #748
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Axel Alonso said today that copies have not been sent to retailers (confirmed by a few sites as well) so the leak came from someone inside Marvel or involved in the printing process. If it came from some comic shop owner that just wanted to something d***ish it's one thing but seeing as how this came from the inside, that's a big betrayal of Marvel's trust and not fair to them.

I decided to look at the pages because I usually don't get too crazy over spoilers. I'm still going to buy ASM 700 and reserve and judgement until I read it cover to cover a few times and let it fully sink in. I'm not gonna go by some cell phone pics (or whatever they were) where panels are cut off.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #749
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

It was Dan Slott himself, posting on twitter that the issue had been spoiled that caused me to go looking for it. Now I regret doing it because I'm not really too happy about.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #750
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Haven't read spoilers personally but I don't think I've seen anyone speak positively on the issue.

Closed Thread