Magneto & Prof x - FC & OT 6 13.04%
No Real Lead (similar to Avengers) 9 19.57%
Wolverine 1 2.17%
Other Character (Name Below) 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #101
Angamb
Banned User

Default Re: Who should the focus be on in DOFP??

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
No its not the first movie, its the fifth movie in the X-Men series even if its a prequel or a spin-off. And compare to Batman Begins, this isn't a reboot but a prequel. And these days, its not easy to achieve 200 million at the domestic box-office. Even though there are couple of big movies this year, so far only 10 movies has yet to surpass the 200 million mark and last year, there were only 7 movies.

There's a possibility for Days of Future Past being huge because of the original cast appearing in the movie. It would probably earn at least 200 million at the domestic box-office and 500 million at the worldwide box-office. But if they decided to make another First Class movie after this one without the cast from the original trilogy, FOX would lose the momentum. Casual viewers are more interested with the original cast/present timeline/X4 thats why I think after this movie, they should move forward with the original cast instead of making another X-Men movie that will showcase events/happenings that already happened in the past. And I'm not being negative and being pointless, I'm just being realistic and I have valid reasons for the things that I'm posting.
it was the fifth movie in franchise, but to general audience, it was a new movie with a whole new cast. So it really worked as a first movie. Many fans didnt go to see it because of the new cast/characters, so that's why the boxoffice was less than previous movies (on USA).

But the sequel would be another issue.

and yes, I think we all are agree that a X4 could lead to a bigger boxoffice. But again, that doesnt mean FC3 could be a pretty decent success, much more than FC and FC3.

So.... I guess the discussion is more about what each fan wants instead about if a FC franchise could be successful or not.

Lets see how much money Start Trek sequel and Amazing Spiderman movies will get compared to the first movies. And we could have a better idea of how much a FC alone sequel could do compared to the first.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #102
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I don't get why FC2 would lose momentum...,

That's like saying Marvel is losing momentum because they going solo with Iron Man 3 and Thor TDW, instead of making Avengers 2 first.

Whether FOX make a X4 or XFC2 I'm sure its not going to Top DOFP, because its an event film. Because its connecting two franchises. Sure box office numbers shows us that more people turned up for X3 then XFC, but those knows numbers doesn't show people's affinity to either one of those films.

Many people consider XFC to be the best XM film, and a lot of people might have not watched it on the big screen. They might have only watched it when it was available to rent/buy or played on TV after hearing how good it was.

Having the OT cast and XFC cast together in one film, will bring in larger audiences, and for those people that haven't watched XFC and only watched the OT, DOFP will convince them to go back and check it out.

I still think DOFP will allow OT stars to get a proper send off, as the franchise moves forward with the FC cast.

The way I see it the end of XFC3 will not lead into X1, if the OT timeline leads to DOFP then the present and future would be changed. So that Singer can arrange the next films without worrying about continuation issues.

And regarding FF we don't know what's happening with the film, Josh Trank really wants do his own thing with that film, yes it will probably set in the same universe as the X-Men but all that really means is that mutants would be part of that world as well, I don't think we would get any X-Men crossing into that franchise.

Trank might think its cool to have FF set in the 80's or rather show the FF has been around for sometime, and add Valeria and Franklin to the family, this could allow a connection to Xavier's School since they are mutants. (Just because its a reboot it doesn't automatically mean that it HAS to do the origin story again.)

By doing that they could even add the idea that Reed Richards and Xavier were good friends, with a friendship that started in the late 80's while Reed was in College or something.

Then when u watch XFC3 they could even have a real small role for Reed in the film whereby he visits the school with Beast and Xavier who share some knowledge with him about mutantation, and all that other science stuff, and its this meeting that drives him to his little space adventure.

Ps just my little example of how FF can connect to XM both in the past, present and future.it doesn't have to be too in your face like SHIELD was in all the MCU films.

Last edited by M-2; 12-10-2012 at 10:14 AM.
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #103
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Yes he was refered to as Alex Summers In the prison.
Thanks, MarvelRobbins! I wonder will they show a family connection (older bro, cousin, uncle) between Cyclops and Havok or will they just ignore it, like they have been doing with other relatives.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #104
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Lets see how much money Start Trek sequel and Amazing Spiderman movies will get compared to the first movies. And we could have a better idea of how much a FC alone sequel could do compared to the first.
I don't think we should compare the First Class series to Star Trek and Amazing Spider-Man. First Class was not a reboot, while those films were reboots. Those movies featured the same leading character/s from the first film of the previous movie series (Spider-Man for Amazing Spider-Man/Spock and Kirk for Star Trek). X-Men: First Class did not have Wolverine as the leading character. Magneto and Professor X were the leading characters but they were the younger versions of them unlike with the first movie. So its different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
I don't get why FC2 would lose momentum...,

That's like saying Marvel is losing momentum because they going solo with Iron Man 3 and Thor TDW, instead of making Avengers 2 first.
I think FC2 would lose momentum because I don't think FC2 would feature Wolverine and Wolverine is money well unless Wolverine joins the 60s X-Men team at the end of DOFP. Wolverine is the #1 star of the X-Men movie series.

Compare to Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. I think their movies will do well on their own given on how their debut film performed at the worldwide box-office.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-10-2012 at 11:04 AM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #105
Angamb
Banned User

It doesnt make a big difference if a movie is a reboot or a prequel.

The main factor is a whole new cast.

And if you want to pay too much attention to the characters who appeared or didnt appear, as a reason why it didnt do as well, then the international numbers prove that it WAS a success in the rest of the world.

So your point loose value then.

FC didnt featttue Big name characters like Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops or Jean and it still was the second highest grossing x-men movie in the whole franchise.

So..... it really proves that the international market didnt care too much if those characters werent there.

So.... if they supported FC with more than 200 millions, they will probably support the sequel much more.

and.... if a second movie were really great written and directed and have bigger action and new characters and the critics love it, the third movie could get even more money.

So.... are Wolverine, Storm, and the rest needed at all?

Definetly no.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #106
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Alright alright!! I think this convo is getting nowhere lets agree to disagree...

Who do u want the focus to in DOFP Angamb and psylockolussus? Regardless if we get XFC2 and X4.

For us to get the best DOFP who should be the main focus? I personally think the best way to tell the story, would be through Prof X and Magento both incarnations of the characters.

I think having the film reveal there constrasting attitudes, beliefs, ideologies and motivations could be quite interesting.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #107
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

The ticket prices were much lower in 2000,2003 and 2006.The only way to get the real result would be knowing the audience.

Alison Blaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #108
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Alright alright!! I think this convo is getting nowhere lets agree to disagree...

Who do u want the focus to in DOFP Angamb and psylockolussus? Regardless if we get XFC2 and X4.

For us to get the best DOFP who should be the main focus? I personally think the best way to tell the story, would be through Prof X and Magento both incarnations of the characters.

I think having the film reveal there constrasting attitudes, beliefs, ideologies and motivations could be quite interesting.
agree about the first comment. We should continue that convo on boxoffice thread, not here.

about the focus....

I think Charles and Eric has had enough focus on four x-men movies to date, so Id put the focus on the a whole team, and taking into account the storyarc, Id say the 60's x-men, with the time traveler. Those four or five characters should share the most screentime. With Charles and Eric of course with great roles.

And I know what some fans will say know, James and Michael are bigger actors.. yes, they are, but this is a team movie, so I think the screentime should be shared between all of them, since they had more screentime on FC. So.. the lead in my opinion should be the 60's x-men, Charles and Eric. (with no real lead)

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #109
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Can't we consider this both FC2 and X4 ???

Great Mind(s) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #110
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

I already said it should be 50-50 but I voted for the original cast because i prefer them more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
It doesnt make a big difference if a movie is a reboot or a prequel. The main factor is a whole new cast.

And if you want to pay too much attention to the characters who appeared or didnt appear, as a reason why it didnt do as well, then the international numbers prove that it WAS a success in the rest of the world. So your point loose value then.

FC didnt featttue Big name characters like Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops or Jean and it still was the second highest grossing x-men movie in the whole franchise. So..... it really proves that the international market didnt care too much if those characters werent there.

So.... if they supported FC with more than 200 millions, they will probably support the sequel much more. and.... if a second movie were really great written and directed and have bigger action and new characters and the critics love it, the third movie could get even more money.

So.... are Wolverine, Storm, and the rest needed at all?

Definetly no.
Well it does make a difference on which character they include in. For example, if Spider-Man wasn't the lead character in a Spider-Man movie it wouldn't do so well and that is also the case with Star Trek. You have to include the most well-known characters in the movie, so it would sell and attract to a bigger audience.

And you keep saying that First Class did so well because of its international box-office numbers but you are ignoring the fact that it is so far the lowest-grossing X-Men movie in the United States - its major and #1 market. Even if XFC earned more foreign gross than X1, X2 and XOW, there's still the price inflation. Every year the price of movie tickets increases. If you adjust the ticket prices of X1, X2 and XOW to the ticket price of 2011, XFC would be in last place when it comes to foreign gross.

Here's the adjusted numbers for the domestic box-office numbers:
1. X-Men: The Last Stand $284,097,400
2. X2: X-Men United $283,034,900
3. X-Men $231,718,000
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine $191,457,300
5. X-Men: First Class $144,387,800

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #111
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Exactly.This film Is sequel to both first Class and eather the bryan Singer films or X-Men trilogy.Fox and the producers knew that It Is more profitable to do film with original
films cast.Even though First Class was sold as the back story of Xavier and Magneto It still Is lowest grossing film worldwide In series.The foreign Box office Is reason the first
Class cast Is contuning.If The Wolverine outgrosses First Class domesticly(which I am counting on happening) that will be another sign they need original trilogy actors.

I still think Wolverine as time traveler Is still a possibilty If Hugh Jackman Is willing to commit to a large role.When Origins making so much money yet It Is regarded as worst
film In series that says audences will pay to see him as Wolverine.X2 regarded as best In series had good balance of characers.X2 always seemed to me as true ensemble film.While we can say Cyclops was shortchanged we can say Bryan Singer can handle ensemble cast.During the large climax Wolverine was mostly dealing with his past while
the others stopped Stryker's and later Magneto's plans.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #112
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
If The Wolverine outgrosses First Class domesticly(which I am counting on happening) that will be another sign they need original trilogy actors.
It would be a sign that Wolverine brings in the money, not necessarily the rest of the original actors. I wouldn't automatically conflate them. After all we never had a film with the original actors minus Wolverine, so it's hard to say how they would have fared without him.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #113
Angamb
Banned User

Wolverine will probably outgross FC for different reasons, not just because its Wolverine.

after the great critics and reception of FC, general audience and comic fans could be a bit more interested on x-men movies now (and many cinema lovers know Fox is on a great track now, with FC, Planet of the apes, Prometheus, etc.)

- then we have the 3D, since The Wolverine will be the very first xmen proyect on 3D.

- then we have normal tickets prize, which isnt the same as on 2009

- and finally its an adaptation of the long awaited Japan storyarc, and visually if will be totally different from the other x-men movies

- and we shouldnt leave out the director, is a respected one from many critics, thanks to a few of his movies, like 3:10 to Yuma, between them.

ALL these factors will make it a successful movie, along with Hugh, but not just because of his name alone or the character. But of course, now some fans will say this is a success because its a Wolverine movie, plain and simple. Tell that to anybody else, thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #114
Alison Blaire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly.This film Is sequel to both first Class and eather the bryan Singer films or X-Men trilogy.Fox and the producers knew that It Is more profitable to do film with original
films cast.Even though First Class was sold as the back story of Xavier and Magneto It still Is lowest grossing film worldwide In series.The foreign Box office Is reason the first
Class cast Is contuning.If The Wolverine outgrosses First Class domesticly(which I am counting on happening) that will be another sign they need original trilogy actors.

I still think Wolverine as time traveler Is still a possibilty If Hugh Jackman Is willing to commit to a large role.When Origins making so much money yet It Is regarded as worst
film In series that says audences will pay to see him as Wolverine.X2 regarded as best In series had good balance of characers.X2 always seemed to me as true ensemble film.While we can say Cyclops was shortchanged we can say Bryan Singer can handle ensemble cast.During the large climax Wolverine was mostly dealing with his past while
the others stopped Stryker's and later Magneto's plans.
Totally agree with you.X2 is the movie with the characters better balance.

Alison Blaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
It would be a sign that Wolverine brings in the money, not necessarily the rest of the original actors. I wouldn't automatically conflate them. After all we never had a film with the original actors minus Wolverine, so it's hard to say how they would have fared without him.
I don't think we would see an X-Men movie with just Storm, Rogue, Iceman and those other characters who were in the original trilogy without Wolverine. Wolverine is the face of the X-Men movies and if they are gonna do X4, X5 and X6, they should definitely include him. If they didn't include him, thats like doing a Transformers movie without Optimus Prime. Of course the inflation of price, 3D tickets and good word of mouth from casual viewers/critics would help the movie earn bigger money than the previous movies like X-Men: First Class. But still Wolverine is a big draw to the audience, so its a must that they include him in the movie.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 12-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #116
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

if the wolverine does really well at box office they will add him even more so in dofp trailers but now Fox are tryin to take a page out of marvels book by expandin the universe they can't have wolverine be the main focus because otherwise whats the point.

And the first class cast were critically praised also

Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #117
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I am all in favour of using the familiar faces from the original trilogy as the 'anchors' of the franchise, allowing the introduction of new actors without the risk of them carrying the film on their own (as happened in First Class and was definitely a reason for its lower box office).

So far we are seeing a lot of enthusiasm for the return of McKellen, Stewart, Janssen and now Cumming. And some hopes for the return of Marsden.

The return of Halle gets more negativity, so if she comes back they really need to try hard with all aspects of Storm - characterisation, costume, hair, powers, flying, etc. Make her look curvy, sexy, leggy, with a skintight costume, even some heels - Storm doesn't run anyway, she glides on air currents to escape so she doesn't need flat shoes! The costuming for Halle has been awful in these films. Just check out that X3 promo where they are all standing in line - she looks short, dumpy, terrible!

Last edited by X-Maniac; 12-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #118
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I want Storm to have a longer hair in DOFP if she's gonna return! And I hope they give her those thunder earrings that she wore in the 90s.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #119
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

She should look like this:

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #120
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
She should look like this:

This would be perfect for Storm's costume/look in DOFP but I don't want the headpiece. I don't think it would look good on film.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #121
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I am all in favour of using the familiar faces from the original trilogy as the 'anchors' of the franchise, allowing the introduction of new actors without the risk of them carrying the film on their own (as happened in First Class and was definitely a reason for its lower box office).

So far we are seeing a lot of enthusiasm for the return of McKellen, Stewart, Janssen and now Cumming. And some hopes for the return of Marsden.

The return of Halle gets more negativity, so if she comes back they really need to try hard with all aspects of Storm - characterisation, costume, hair, powers, flying, etc. Make her look curvy, sexy, leggy, with a skintight costume, even some heels - Storm doesn't run anyway, she glides on air currents to escape so she doesn't need flat shoes! The costuming for Halle has been awful in these films. Just check out that X3 promo where they are all standing in line - she looks short, dumpy, terrible!
Is it official that Janssen and Cumming are returning?? Janssen makes sense since she is in Wolverine? But this the first time I heard about Alan.

I don't think everybody should be returning we need a few big characters dead, so I say Storm should be dead. I really want to see a new actress take on the role, so instead of reminding audiences that Halle Is Storm, just show off her tombstone!

Last edited by M-2; 12-11-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #122
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Is it official that Janssen and Cumming are returning??
Not yet.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #123
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
This would be perfect for Storm's costume/look in DOFP but I don't want the headpiece. I don't think it would look good on film.
Give them all communication earpieces, and make Storm's go across her head to keep her hair off her face, more of a headdress like the comic character. It can be done, just as Nolan found a way to give Catwoman her pointy ears!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #124
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post

It is unbelievable when you think about it just how much Halle Berry and therefore Storm have been maltreated. She has been the victim of bad writing, directing, costuming, make-up, voice coach (that's if Halle even got one, I hear people saying that she never got one for the first film.) And poor halle has to take the blame because she was the face thatwas attached to the terrible portrayal of such an iconic comic book character.

If storm is included I hope Bryan, the writers (Kinberg), costume designers, make-up department etc all pick up a comic book and actually have a lok at how the character is portrayed and then work with Halle to finally do the character justice. It's obvious Berry wants to come back to the character and do her right. Bryan and the powers that be need to give her the chance instead of making her the silent, opinionless, boring, weak black girl in a white wig that we got instead of Storm. Woman is called a Goddess for a reason it's high time they showed it.

NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #125
BMM
Side-Kick

This is Days of Future Past, not the would be X-Men 4 Halle Berry asked fans to demand 6 years ago. If Bryan Singer, the writers, etc. pick up a comic book and look at Storm's portrayal, particularly her portrayal in Days of Future Past, Storm is not going to be a fashionable goddess, wandering around a dystopian future with her 1990s lightning bolt earings intact. A stronger character? Hopefully. But I think some of these suggestions are a bit unrealistic.

Last edited by BMM; 12-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
BMM is offline   Reply With Quote