The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #951
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,941
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Which much of the so-called Christian Right has elevated it to, on no Biblical basis whatsoever, to conveniently make it "worse" than the sins of greed, lying, hubris, etc. that they are conveniently silent about, because they are guilty of them themselves.

Hell, half of them are "guilty" of homosexuality too...

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #952
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,210
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Gene Regulation May Explain How Homosexuality Flourishes

Quote:
Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer
Date: 11 December 2012 Time: 01:57 PM ET


The search for a "gay gene" may be off-target, new research finds. Another process called epigenetics that switches genes on and off may explain why homosexuality runs in families.

Epigenetics are heritable changes caused by factors other than DNA. Instead of traits getting passed down through the genes, epigenetic change happens because of the way genes are regulated, or turned on and off.

These genetic regulators may be the reason homosexuality persists in nature despite the fact that gay people are less likely to reproduce, suggests the new study published in the journal The Quarterly Review of Biology.


"These things have evolved because they're good for the parents, but they sometimes, not [with] high frequency, but sometimes carry over" into offspring, study researcher William Rice, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, told LiveScience. In a male fetus, Rice and his colleagues write, an epigenetic change that benefited the mother may lead to "feminization" of sexual preference — homo- or bisexuality. The same may be true for epigenetic changes passed down by dad to a female fetus. (The terms feminization and masculinization of sexual preference refer to sexual orientation only — not to physical or personality traits of the offspring.)

The findings add to past research suggesting gay men haven't died out, because female relatives of gay men tend to have more children on average than other females. The study researchers specifically found that two genes passed on through the maternal line could produce this effect.

Hormones, epigenetics and orientation

Rice and his colleagues focused on epi-marks, which are molecular changes that act like temporary "switches" to turn genes on and off. If a gene is a blueprint, the epi-mark is the construction foreman who makes sure the product gets built. An epi-mark also determines when, where and how much a gene is expressed, according to the National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.

These molecular switches are usually erased very early in the developmental process, but they can be passed down from generation to generation, too, Rice said.

Some epi-marks are particularly important during fetal development, when they promote normal physical development in the sexes despite natural variations in testosterone during pregnancy. Researchers know that fetal exposure to too much testosterone can masculinize the genitals, brain or behavior of a genetically female fetus. Likewise, too little testosterone can make a genetically male fetus more feminized.

But here's the catch: There's lots of overlap between the levels of testosterone male and female fetuses get exposed to. That means there must be another side to the story, Rice and his colleagues wrote.

That side appears to be epigenetics, Rice said.

"Early in development, we think these epi-marks are laid down so that girl fetuses will be relatively insensitive to testosterone and male fetuses will be relatively sensitive to testosterone," Rice said.

Biological behavior

Thus, if an epi-mark that kept a mother from getting exposed to high testosterone in development gets passed on to her son — the opposite sex — it could desensitize him to testosterone, contributing to his sexual preference for men. Similarly, if a male-specific epi-mark from dad gets passed to a daughter, it could "masculinize" her sexual preference, making her more interested in women.

These findings could explain why twin studies show that homosexuality runs in families, but no "gay gene" can be found, Rice said. In identical twins, there's about a 20 percent chance that if one twin is gay, the other will be too. If genetic change were responsible for homosexuality, you'd expect a much higher match, Rice said. Epigenetics, however, can explain the heritability without the need for a specific genetic change.

The hypothesis could be tested by examining epigenetic marks in parents of kids with gay versus straight offspring, Rice said. There are, of course, concerns that this knowledge could be used by parents who want to avoid gay offspring, Rice said, but that concern already exists around certain hormonal conditions in utero, which are known to contribute to an increased chance of offspring being lesbians.

"That cat's already out of the bag," Rice said. He added that an understanding of the biological underpinnings of homosexuality could help emphasize that same-sex behavior is not "unnatural."

"In fact, it's a major part of the natural world," Rice said. Fourteen percent of Western gulls raise chicks in female-female pairs, he pointed out. And 8 percent of male sheep show zero interest in fertile ewes, but get sexually excited by other rams.

"We think that people who are gay or lesbian have a right to know, what is the biological foundation for this condition?" Rice said.
http://www.livescience.com/25431-gen...sexuality.html

Doctor Evo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #953
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,680
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Gene Regulation May Explain How Homosexuality Flourishes

http://www.livescience.com/25431-gen...sexuality.html

Wait, I have an epi-pen for my peanut allergies. Will it work the next time I feel my gayness acting up?

__________________
If SHH was a toy store, and posters were action figures, someone like Sawyer or a Pink Ranger would be like 1 per case. (posted by Erzengel on 11.20.14)

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #954
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Wait, I have an epi-pen for my peanut allergies. Will it work the next time I feel my gayness acting up?
Depends where you're injecting it

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #955
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Which much of the so-called Christian Right has elevated it to, on no Biblical basis whatsoever, to conveniently make it "worse" than the sins of greed, lying, hubris, etc. that they are conveniently silent about, because they are guilty of them themselves.

Hell, half of them are "guilty" of homosexuality too...
I'm cool with everything you have said...but half? Really?

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #956
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,941
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm cool with everything you have said...but half? Really?
A) im pretty sure that's sarcasm

And

B) majority if bullies do bully out of there own insecuritys. I mean does it really shock anyone anymore when a republican conservative gets caught in a gay sex scandal?

I don't honestly think most straight men comfortable with themselves, are honestly going to hate so hard unless they hate themselves first.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #957
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm cool with everything you have said...but half? Really?
homosexual population worldwide? best guess, about 10%

homosexual population of the Republican Party? about 50%


__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #958
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,933
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
homosexual population worldwide? best guess, about 10%

homosexual population of the Republican Party? about 50%


oh lord....

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #959
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,941
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
homosexual population worldwide? best guess, about 10%

homosexual population of the Republican Party? about 50%

lol

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #960
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,680
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
homosexual population worldwide? best guess, about 10%

homosexual population of the Republican Party? about 50%


Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic!

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?

__________________
If SHH was a toy store, and posters were action figures, someone like Sawyer or a Pink Ranger would be like 1 per case. (posted by Erzengel on 11.20.14)

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #961
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic!

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
Annnnddddddd......Siged.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #962
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
oh lord....
well, they're mostly closeted, so...

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #963
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic!

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
I'm sure they've done the math.


And their heads exploded because, if they use it, they're siding with gays, and if they don't, they're siding with gays.

That's why they have so much closeted gay sex. All that pent up frustration must make it mind blowing.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #964
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 19,733
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

"Half" was just tossed out there hyperbolically. Wasn't literally claiming 50% of conservative Christians are gay.

Quote:
That's why they have so much closeted gay sex. All that pent up frustration must make it mind blowing.
Maybe I need to date a closeted gay Republican. They know how to get their freak on.

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...




Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #965
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Maybe I need to date a closeted gay Republican. They know how to get their freak on.
And you'll never have to worry about not getting any because they'll be addicted to the thrill of getting away with it

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #966
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
"Half" was just tossed out there hyperbolically. Wasn't literally claiming 50% of conservative Christians are gay.



Maybe I need to date a closeted gay Republican. They know how to get their freak on.
As a kid who grew up in catholic school I can tell you there's no group freakier and more fun to have naked hugs with.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #967
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

It's always the repressed

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #968
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon
 
moraldeficiency's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sunny florida
Posts: 9,512
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
It's always the repressed
Not really, catholic school just teaches you A. Everything is a sin so if you're going to hell anyway you might as well have some fun and B. How to be sneaky as ****.

It's basically prison but with better uniforms, meaner guards and apple juice.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Let me see .. Republicans are mostly gay ... Democrats oppose Republicans ... so Democrats are homophobic! :eek:

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #969
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

The Torys do not like the fact marriage is being legalized in England

__________________
"Turkey sucks and you suck, and who made you boss?"
Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #970
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,953
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Did Rick Perry really do "well" with anything? *snickers*
If Rick Perry were the nominee, he would have taken a sizable chunk of Obama's Hispanic voters and probably would have taken Nevada, Florida, and Colorado. And New Mexico would have probably been in play too. Now he still wouldn't have had a chance in hell because Perry would have never won Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, or New Hampshire, but he would have done better in the Electoral College than Romney.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #971
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do
 
Pink Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 22,680
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by moraldeficiency View Post
Annnnddddddd......Siged.
I am honored and privileged.

__________________
If SHH was a toy store, and posters were action figures, someone like Sawyer or a Pink Ranger would be like 1 per case. (posted by Erzengel on 11.20.14)

~H.E.~
Pink Ranger is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #972
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,132
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Surprisingly candid editorial from one of the Justices of our highest court.

Clarence Thomas Editorial: I Get to Determine Whether Gay People Can Marry

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #973
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,419
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Surprisingly candid editorial from one of the Justices of our highest court.

Clarence Thomas Editorial: I Get to Determine Whether Gay People Can Marry
on the Onion website?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #974
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 76,132
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
on the Onion website?

__________________
Avatar by Hunter Rider
Matt is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #975
Schlosser85
Watchful Protector
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Schlosser85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 19,733
Default Re: Discussion: Gay Rights XII

Ha, he made a funny!

__________________
Quote:
In the rain the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
...




Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Schlosser85 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.