The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #51
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Re: Wally Pfister to direct film for Alcon/WB

I wouldn't put it past Pfister to be the DP on his own movie. Let's see... DPs who like shooting anamorphic 35mm:

- Mitchell Amundson
- Amir Mokri
- Ben Seresin
- Dan Mindel
- Janusz Kaminski
- Dean Cundey
- Larry Fong
- John Toll
- Seamus McGarvey (stranger things have happened)
- Don Burgess
- Dante Spinotti

Pfister has quite a few great DPs to choose from. I don't think he'll limit himself to DPs who shoot exclusively on 35mm...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #52
kvz5
HBIC

Lee Smith is on board as the editor:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/1...lks-about.html

Quote:
Regarding future projects for himself and Christopher Nolan, the two-time Academy Award nominee reveals that he is teaming with another veteran Nolan collaborator. “I’m going to do a film for Wally Pfister [The Prestige]. I figured after sitting together in a trailer watching dailies on five films and going through the whole process with Wally, we deserve each other. With Chris’ blessing we’re off to do this film [Transcendence] and he is having a break. But when Chris says he is having a break that just means he is formulating something more complicated than we could ever think.”

Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #53
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Regarding future projects for himself and Christopher Nolan, the two-time Academy Award nominee reveals that he is teaming with another veteran Nolan collaborator. ďIím going to do a film for Wally Pfister [The Prestige]. I figured after sitting together in a trailer watching dailies on five films and going through the whole process with Wally, we deserve each other. With Chrisí blessing weíre off to do this film [Transcendence] and he is having a break. But when Chris says he is having a break that just means he is formulating something more complicated than we could ever think.Ē
This is what I like to see.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #54
Octoberist
point blank

'Transcendence' Revealed: Johnny Depp to Play Supercomputer (Exclusive)
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...68286?page=0,0

Quote:
Johnny Depp plays a scientist whose brain is uploaded into a supercomputer in the highly-anticipated movie, “Transcendence,” whose plot details have previously been shrouded in secrecy, the movie's producer told TheWrap exclusively.

“Transcendence” is being made by the team behind the time-bending thriller “Inception,” Christopher Nolan, who is executive producing, and Wally Pfister, Nolan’s Oscar-winning cinematographer who will direct this as his first feature. The story is by Jack Paglen.

According to a recent script summary obtained by TheWrap, the plot involves a scientist whose brain gets uploaded into a supercomputer with the aim of creating the world’s first machine that can think for itself.

The film's producer Andrew Kosove confirmed the central plot detail in an interview with TheWrap on Tuesday. “It is true Johnny Depp’s brain is uploaded into a computer,“ he said.

Kosove also confirmed that the themes of singularity, nanotechnology and artificial intelligence are at the heart of the closely-held script.

A spokesman for Alcon, which is producing the film, cautioned that any script summary might be outdated and is subject to future revisions.

Both Warner Bros., which is distributing the film domestically, and Lionsgate, which is distributing the film internationally, referred questions to Alcon. A spokesman for Warners Bros. declined to comment on what he called "speculation."

The summary obtained by TheWrap has many details about the futuristic story. In it, three scientists -- Max and the husband and wife team, Will and Evelyn -- have been developing a programming code for the world’s first fully self-aware computer.

Depp will play one of the lead scientists, Will. The other two roles have not yet been cast.

However, a swirl of potential cast names have been circulating around the project. Kosove told TheWrap that Ewan McGregor had passed on an early draft, and that Tom Hardy -- a friend of Pfister's -- was not available due to scheduling. He said that despite published reports, Noomi Rapace is not in the running for a role, and that Kate Winslet is not available.

According to the summary, a group of anti-technology terrorists assassinate Will, Evelyn uploads his brain into a prototype supercomputer. Although she at first finds the experiment seems to have gone wrong, before too long Evelyn finds Will responding in computer form.

She goes on to connect Will to the Internet so he can help make further scientific breakthroughs. Will asks Evelyn to connect a microphone and a camera up to the computer so he can see and speak to her as well.

Will creates a backup of himself to every computer in the world, and furthers his work through accessing online indexes. (Kosove told TheWrap this plot point is no longer in the script.) When the anti-technology organization finds out, they try to steal the supercomputer and destroy it, but Will no longer needs the computer to survive.

Kosove is producing the film with Broderick Johnson, Kate Cohen, Annie Marter, Marisa Polvino and David Valdes, with Nolan and Emma Thomas executive producing. The production is by Alcon Entertainment and Straight Up Films.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
Symbiotic
Let's go catch a Spider

That sounds incredibly badass.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #56
kvz5
HBIC

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/tran...-rebecca-hall/

Quote:
‘Transcendence’ Female Lead Down To Rooney Mara, Emily Blunt, Rebecca Hall

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that the lead actress to star opposite Johnny Depp in Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister’s first directing effort Transcendence will be decided on Friday. Emily Blunt’s dates for All You Need Is Kill are still being worked out and that may affect her availability versus Rooney Mara and Rebecca Hall. Filming on the Alcon Entertainment production starts on March 4th. The screenplay is written by newcomer Jack Paglen and was developed by Annie Marter and Straight Up Films. Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas are executive producing for their longtime collaborator Pfister. Depp will play a scientist whose brain is uploaded into a supercomputer after his death by another scientist Evelyn.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #57
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

that sounds...kind of silly, I don't know, and I'm not even trying to hate on Pfister, I'm sure the movie will look fantastic. As for how he handles narrative elements like story and character, we'll have to see, but come on... brain transplant? really? I mean, that works if you're going sort of a pulpy, quasi-tongue in cheek route like face/off or robocop/robocop 2, but if Pfister's anything like Nolan this movie will take itself as serious as a heart attack.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #58
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Have we really reached the point where being sincere about a premise is a bad thing?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #59
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Sounds amazing. And quite relevant. There is a lot of research and talk about putting the human mind in a machine. What's his face thinks it will be by 2050 ( I can't remember that guys name but he's written tons of books on the subject).

I'm getting more excited about this as time goes on.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #60
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

^ I do believe you're thinking of Ray Kurzweil.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #61
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Yes! That's him lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #62
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

This sounds trippy as ****, very 80's. I want to see Mara play off Depp.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #63
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

Rooney Mara please.

Someone get this hothead out of here!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #64
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Sounds interesting.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #65
dark_b
Side-Kick

my biggest fear is that right now he has no idea how to make a movie but to copy Nolan. i hope it will not look and feel like a Nolan movie. talking about teh script,editing,acting,score.....

Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #66
kvz5
HBIC

Part of the 2012 Black List:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/blac...-2012-winners/

Quote:
TRANSCENDENCE
Jack Paglen

An epic love story set in a time where a dying scientist is able to upload his consciousness into the internet and, facing its global implications, must fight against the forces who are actively working against the existence of a singularity.

Agency: ICM
Agent: Harley Copen
Financier: Warner Brothers
Production: Alcon Entertainment, Syncopy Films, Straight Up Films, Annie Marter

Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #67
bapi
Side-Kick

I read the script (5/1/12 draft) and it's not good at all, to be honest. Some minor spoilers:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
First half is good and reminds me some 90s thrillers but the second one is completely different and it's like something from Terminator Salvation with stupid eco-friendly ending.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #68
kvz5
HBIC

Personally, I thought the script had potential. 'Max' is a badass.

I think Wally made some changes though so who knows how it is now...

Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #69
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Personally, I thought the script had potential. 'Max' is a badass.

I think Wally made some changes though so who knows how it is now...
I didn't know Pfister wrote, so is it an action thriller? because from what I read it sounded more like a weird, trippy kind of film than a mainstream movie.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #70
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I didn't know Pfister wrote, so is it an action thriller? because from what I read it sounded more like a weird, trippy kind of film than a mainstream movie.
The original draft is not written by Wally but the trades mentioned changes to the script so I'm assuming that it's Wally who made the revisions since they didn't mention another writer.

Nah... It's very mainstream. More of a sci fi thriller. It's like 2001 A Space Odyssey meets Terminator.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #71
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Sounds amazing. And quite relevant. There is a lot of research and talk about putting the human mind in a machine. What's his face thinks it will be by 2050 ( I can't remember that guys name but he's written tons of books on the subject).
Holy crud, that's a poopstorm waiting to happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #72
bapi
Side-Kick

Yeah, it's very mainstream. I'd describe it as Terminator Salvationin in some Kevin Costner post-apocalyptic **** style directed by Jonathan Mostow.

I know Pfister made some changes (it's set in LA now) but nothing big. Really needs some good actors now. I think JGL would be perfect as Max, the lead.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #73
RKO
QT's Personal Consultant.

JGL + Rooney sounds too good.

Someone get this hothead out of here!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #74
bapi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKO View Post
JGL + Rooney sounds too good.
She's too young to play Evelyn. If it's between her, Blunt and Hall... Probably the last one is the best choice.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #75
JokerLedger
Side-Kick

reminds me of Duncan Jones' Source Code

Closed Thread