Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #301
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
People called it a solid little action film. Which is what it was. And then it completely bombed financially. How is it overrated?
Plenty of people on this board treated it like it was one of the best adaptations of all time. To me, it looked cheap and the story was nothing I hadn't seen before.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #302
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

I think people were just happy with its tone and grasp of the character and world.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #303
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

I just really, really like Dredd. The two leads were great and had great chemistry. That carries these kind of films a long way. Also like how they went about the action. It is a simple film but a very well executed one.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 12-12-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #304
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

So hey how about that other science fiction film with Karl Urban?

By which I of course mean Priest.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #305
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I wonder if with the Craig movies like every other one will be sorta off and disappointing. And then the next one will be totally awesome.

- CM Punk
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #306
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

Dredd was awesome. Loved it.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #307
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I wonder if with the Craig movies like every other one will be sorta off and disappointing. And then the next one will be totally awesome.
That was the Star Trek curse (every even-numbered film was good) until Nemesis screwed it up.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #308
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

Cumberbatch on his character, from trekmovie.com (my new favorite site):

Quote:
Talking to MTV, Benedict Cumberbatch did some reveals about his character John Harrison in Star Trek Into Darkness, saying "he is a terrorist." And fueling to speculation he says "He has extraordinary physical powers, but also mental powers. He can sow an idea, which is as powerful as gunshots or close-hand combat, which he’s masterful in. He tears into the fabric of both the world and the Enterprise family, and he leaves behind him a trail of devastation. It’s quite exciting to watch.”
And Quinto's thoughts:

Quote:
Zachary Quinto says "there is reason to worry" about the crew of the USS Enterprise because Benedict Cumberbatch’s villain is "entirely different" and there is an "insidiousness, a ruthlessness and a fierce intelligence" about him that "almost infiltrates and undermines the connectivity of the crew."
Pine on Carol Marcus's character vs. Cumberbatch's and the key to dealing with him:

Quote:
With the reveal that Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus, Chris Pine was asked if he has a love interest in Into Darkness, and Pine said "so much happens, the action and plot is so fast, there really isn’t much time for Kirk do do anything but save the crew." However he did note that "Kirk loves a blonde" so there is some "flirting" at least. But more importantly, Pine revealed that Marcus’ "scientific knowledge" is a key to resolving the crisis posed by Cumberbatch’s John Harrison.
Sow an idea??? Is that a nod to Inception?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #309
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Not necessarily Inception itself, but definitely that kind of thing. I can definitely foresee some mental manipulation to sow discord and conflict among the Enterprise crew.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #310
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

I just hope they don't pull the now common "Villain gets himself caught just to escape" plot segment. It was perfectly fine with The Joker, it was pushing it with Loki, and it was just plain obvious with Silva. It's enjoyable but it's starting to wear thin.

75 Years of the Batman - Happy Anniversary to my Hero
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #311
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Is there any reason other than its recent over use that so many people have jumped to the conclusion that plot point is being used here?

Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #312
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Is there any reason other than its recent over use that so many people have jumped to the conclusion that plot point is being used here?
This is the Hype. People like to whine about stuff without a single clue about what context it will be used in.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #313
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Its everywhere though. I guess that pic of Cumberbatch behind glass was just too much like the endless line of glass cubes we've been treated to as of late.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #314
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Well the poster and title suggest Nolan, and now he apparently "implants ideas," so it certainly is starting to feel like we've been here before.

I will wait and see. I am not a big fan of Star Trek but enjoyed the last one and think this looks like it may be enjoyable. Albeit, if he lets himself get caught to "sow discord," I'm sure Abrams and co. are already cursing Whedon's name. We shall see.

--John Adams
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #315
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Why would they be cursing Whedon's name?

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #316
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Er, I was kind of vague there.

Because Loki's thin pretense of motivation to let himself get caught was so he could "sow discord" with his staff among the Avengers. Same idea, but if they are talking about this being one of Cumberbatch's main aspects this far out, I am sure they would take the same concept much further.

--John Adams
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #317
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Because if that's the case Whedon beat them to a major plot point and villain tactic.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #318
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Has anyone seen this? The title is perfect...

http://collider.com/star-trek-2-into...-hands/217338/

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #319
Octoberist
point blank

Hilarious!!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #320
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think people were just happy with its tone and grasp of the character and world.

shyeah right. Who would want to trade Rob Schneider for those things?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #321
Pondslider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Has anyone seen this? The title is perfect...

http://collider.com/star-trek-2-into...-hands/217338/

Wow. Hopefully they never use their powers for evil.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #322
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

And there's this...

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-2-bad-robot/

Quote:
1. The extra shot in the Japanese trailer wasn’t explicitly placed as a red herring.

When the Into Darkness announcement trailer was released, the Internet blew up about the slightly longer Japanese version which showed a shot of Kirk putting his hand on a piece of glass, seemingly playing homage to a famous scene in The Wrath of Khan. Speaking with director J.J. Abrams, he explained that the Japanese trailer is different because Star Trek isn’t as popular internationally as it is here. (Abrams cited the low foreign grosses of the 2009 film.) He said some foreign audiences are more interested in emotions than action. Hence the inclusion of that shot. However, he admitted it’s obviously an homage. It just wasn’t specifically included at this moment to screw with people. It just worked out that way.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #323
Octoberist
point blank

Has anyone read the Hitfix article about John Harrison? It makes perfect sense and it could be a great theory:

Be warned, it could be potential spoilers if it's true:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...-into-darkness

On John Harrison:

There is a character who exists on the fringes of "Star Trek" canon, and that's why I think it's a crazy theory. Would Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof really take advantage of their big cosmic reset button and tell the story of the character originally named Captain Robert April in the first pilot script for the original series? When "Star Trek" finally did go to pilot, they changed April's name to… Christopher Pike.

In his episode of the animated show, which you can see on NetFlix Instant right now, Robert April's a Commodore, a former captain of the Enterprise, taking a trip with his wife on the ship, and when a mysterious illness hits the crew and starts aging them in reverse, Commodore April and his wife, who are much older than anyone else, and as a result, they were the ones to save the day because they had more time than anyone else to solve the problem. His wife was a Starfleet medical officer when he was the captain, too, so they were both tied to the Enterprise.

Meanwhile, in the books, April is revealed to be someone who came from Coventry in England. You know England, right? That's where London is. You remember why that matters right? Because of the one-sheet looking out on the London skyline.

And the opening of the film, which you'll see at the IMAX presentation, features a moment where Cumberbatch offers to help a family whose daughter is hospitalized in the London Children's Hospital. So it seems like England is important to this April character. Hmmmm. And why does the daughter need help? Because she appears to be prematurely aging. The guy who figured out how to reset the body clock to move in a different direction might be a perfect person to help that little girl… wouldn't you think?

What if you learned that in the books that April's executive officer was a dude named Commander George Kirk? You know… the one that Chris Hemsworth so memorably played at the start of 2009's "Star Trek"? On the other hand, in other books, Pike is April's second-in-command.

So what if something happened to April on a mission somewhere with Pike. It didn't have to be on the Enterprise as long as the two of them were serving together. And what if something terrible happened to April because of Pike and Pike came home and went on with his life? What if April is the one who comes to Earth, not for revenge on Kirk, but for revenge on Pike?

After all, that shot at the end of the trailer that hits online and in theaters on December 17th has Cumberbatch asking, "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" while we see that oh-so-tricky shot of the two hands on opposite sides of the glass. That's totally designed and cut to make you think they're going to try to reproduce the ending of "Wrath of Khan."

But what if it's not Kirk on the other side of the glass from Spock?

What if it's Pike? What if he's playing for his "sins" and saving everyone else on the Enterprise at the same time?

Like I said… that's one crazy theory. I'll bet I'm connecting dots that just don't connect.

Here's the most important piece of evidence to this theory:

But… one last thing. In the trailer, you've seen the shot where Cumberbatch jumps, lands, and then swats a dude using a huge long hunk of metal. Well, that hunk of metal is what the crew on the film called "The Big Gun." That's what we were told during our tour, and as everyone was discussing it, we were standing in a room that had been specially set up for today's event.

And on the counter at the back of the room, there was a big book of production art that was open. Laying right there were anyone could see it. And on one of the two pages, there was a concept design sketch for that gun.
But instead of "The Big Gun," it was called "April's Gatling Gun."

As in the gun that April uses. The gun that seems to belong to Cumberbatch in the trailer, which would suggest that Cumberbatch is April.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #324
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
Okay, new theory! What if Cumberbatch's John Hamilton is really...Methuselah. He's a character that's from TOS, is known for using alternate identities, and is little known enough for JJ & Co. to take liberties with. He is also a superior physical specimen, which would explain the super jumping, and, being that he's immortal, his science is very advanced, which could explain his abilities as a "healer."
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Requ..._%28episode%29

Thoughts?
Nah, Cumberbatch is playing Finnigan. Kirk's greatest adversary from the episode Shore Leave.

Makes sense since he says "But I have returned"

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #325
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Has anyone read the Hitfix article about John Harrison? It makes perfect sense and it could be a great theory:

Be warned, it could be potential spoilers if it's true:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...-into-darkness

On John Harrison:

There is a character who exists on the fringes of "Star Trek" canon, and that's why I think it's a crazy theory. Would Abrams and Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof really take advantage of their big cosmic reset button and tell the story of the character originally named Captain Robert April in the first pilot script for the original series? When "Star Trek" finally did go to pilot, they changed April's name to… Christopher Pike.

In his episode of the animated show, which you can see on NetFlix Instant right now, Robert April's a Commodore, a former captain of the Enterprise, taking a trip with his wife on the ship, and when a mysterious illness hits the crew and starts aging them in reverse, Commodore April and his wife, who are much older than anyone else, and as a result, they were the ones to save the day because they had more time than anyone else to solve the problem. His wife was a Starfleet medical officer when he was the captain, too, so they were both tied to the Enterprise.

Meanwhile, in the books, April is revealed to be someone who came from Coventry in England. You know England, right? That's where London is. You remember why that matters right? Because of the one-sheet looking out on the London skyline.

And the opening of the film, which you'll see at the IMAX presentation, features a moment where Cumberbatch offers to help a family whose daughter is hospitalized in the London Children's Hospital. So it seems like England is important to this April character. Hmmmm. And why does the daughter need help? Because she appears to be prematurely aging. The guy who figured out how to reset the body clock to move in a different direction might be a perfect person to help that little girl… wouldn't you think?

What if you learned that in the books that April's executive officer was a dude named Commander George Kirk? You know… the one that Chris Hemsworth so memorably played at the start of 2009's "Star Trek"? On the other hand, in other books, Pike is April's second-in-command.

So what if something happened to April on a mission somewhere with Pike. It didn't have to be on the Enterprise as long as the two of them were serving together. And what if something terrible happened to April because of Pike and Pike came home and went on with his life? What if April is the one who comes to Earth, not for revenge on Kirk, but for revenge on Pike?

After all, that shot at the end of the trailer that hits online and in theaters on December 17th has Cumberbatch asking, "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" while we see that oh-so-tricky shot of the two hands on opposite sides of the glass. That's totally designed and cut to make you think they're going to try to reproduce the ending of "Wrath of Khan."

But what if it's not Kirk on the other side of the glass from Spock?

What if it's Pike? What if he's playing for his "sins" and saving everyone else on the Enterprise at the same time?

Like I said… that's one crazy theory. I'll bet I'm connecting dots that just don't connect.

Here's the most important piece of evidence to this theory:

But… one last thing. In the trailer, you've seen the shot where Cumberbatch jumps, lands, and then swats a dude using a huge long hunk of metal. Well, that hunk of metal is what the crew on the film called "The Big Gun." That's what we were told during our tour, and as everyone was discussing it, we were standing in a room that had been specially set up for today's event.

And on the counter at the back of the room, there was a big book of production art that was open. Laying right there were anyone could see it. And on one of the two pages, there was a concept design sketch for that gun.
But instead of "The Big Gun," it was called "April's Gatling Gun."

As in the gun that April uses. The gun that seems to belong to Cumberbatch in the trailer, which would suggest that Cumberbatch is April.
That's pretty brilliant. That would be amazing if true.

5-.-2-.-14

Closed Thread