The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #76
NoMoreDeadCops!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Third time in IMAX today...it occurred to me that perhaps Bruce isn't necessarily giving Blake the costume (though I guess one copy is still intact once he fixes the Talia stab hole...), but his detective technology. Blake has proven himself a pretty good detective despite not having Batman's resources (and not being a civil engineer ) and Batman made it a point to have him rescue people instead of beating up bad guys. Even in a pinch, Batman/Bruce will choose to rescue people instead of getting the bad guy, as we saw in TDK as well as TDKR. So. Batman is meant to be a symbol of hope, and Bruce probably hopes for Blake to adopt the detective role and helping Gotham that way, more than the "beating up bad guys and making himself vulnerable to violence" role. At the very least, he expects Blake to be better at sticking to his morals instead of going all paranoid cell phone spying on everyone in Gotham.

NoMoreDeadCops! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #77
Chrisbarnes182
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

Chrisbarnes182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #78
Anti-Venom
Side-Kick

The reason I was so completely shocked to hear the name "Robin" uttered at the end is that it never occurred to me that Robin would be some big secret.

Why do you think they chose to make it a big reveal at the end? Why not introduce him as Robin Blake from the beginning? Why did it have to be a surprise?

Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #79
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think because having it at the end was Nolan's way of having his cake and eating it too. Having us think of him as "John Blake" throughout the movie gave them license to create their own original character without distracting fans with how much of a departure from the traditional Robin it is.

This way, the Robin namedrop is just more of a wink to the fact that Blake had been assisting Batman throughout the film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #80
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Venom View Post
The reason I was so completely shocked to hear the name "Robin" uttered at the end is that it never occurred to me that Robin would be some big secret.

Why do you think they chose to make it a big reveal at the end? Why not introduce him as Robin Blake from the beginning? Why did it have to be a surprise?
Because it's more fun that way...

Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #81
Anti-Venom
Side-Kick

Good thoughts. Another possibility: Maybe Nolan really wanted it to be a surprise when Blake inherited the batcave at the end. If we already knew he was Robin from the beginning, we (both fans and general audiences) would be expecting something like that to happen.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #82
Anti-Venom
Side-Kick

I wish Blake had worn a dark red or green shirt under his jacket at the end. Nothing costumey. Just...something subtle that can say "Robin" if you want it to.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #83
shauner111
Side-Kick

You know, i wouldnt have been against that. If i remember correctly, the colors he was wearing especially on his jacket at the end were a little more Nightwing-esque.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #84
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Jonah Nolan on the Robin reference:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/13...-the-films-end

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #85
Anti-Venom
Side-Kick

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #86
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #87
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Why not just make him Dick Grayson instead?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #88
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <(o_o)> View Post
Why not just make him Dick Grayson instead?
Because of the audience.

"I like that name, Robin." = "Oh! He was Robin!"

"I like that name, Dick." = "Heh. ... What does her liking Dick have to do with anything?"

Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #89
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Nightmares. You're gonna give me nightmares, Mr. Kane.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #90
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
He's like Agent Smith, but to make copies, he has to kiss you.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #91
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Nightmares. You're gonna give me nightmares, Mr. Kane.
You're welcome.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #92
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Regardless, he wouldn't be Robin. That's his name. That's why the comics don't have Bruceman, NightDick, Red Jason, Tim Robin, and BatBarbara.
I was just skimming through the thread when I came over this gem of a post and laughed my ass off. Time for a change of sig.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html

Last edited by BatmanBeyond; 12-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #93
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

I would have never put any thought into JGL even coming back to any Batman franchise until Nolan went on record saying "I can't talk about that. You know that." Normally he shoots rumors right down, that's one of the rare occasions he's actually being coy.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Mike_D202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #94
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
I was just skimming through the thread when I came over this and laughed my ass off. Time for a change of sig.
Someone pleeeease change Nightwing's name to Nightdick. They can say it's because he's a private eye who operates at night or something.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #95
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Nightdick

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #96
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Someone pleeeease change Nightwing's name to Nightdick. They can say it's because he's a private eye who operates at night or something.
I subscribe to this line of thought.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #97
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Did anyone else see John Blake as basically a younger Agent John Dogget from the X-files?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #98
tekken
Side-Kick

i still think he'd take on the name robin as a masked crime fighter (ESPECIALLY because that's his real name). the guy said himself he wasn't afraid to show himself in the face of corruption, but batman told him to wear a mask to protect his loved ones. being "Robin" in the mask is doing both. and unlike Bruce Wayne, john blake's a nobody...bruce wayne created "Batman" out of a childhood fear of bats - i could totally see john blake not using the name "Robin" because of some kind of childhood tragedy. it would be poetic from him to adopt the name again to fight crime. am i alone here?

oh well. I still don't think he'd be the next Batman though...that would undo everything bruce accomplished as batman. why would he be mad at the copycats, but be okay with blake dressing up as batman? i'm pretty sure he wants blake to find his own way, but offered his tools and gadgets. i sort of get why people would want him as nightwing, but that identity belongs to dick grayson and the ancient kryptonian.

for me, blake will always be this trilogy's robin.

tekken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #99
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken View Post
i still think he'd take on the name robin as a masked crime fighter (ESPECIALLY because that's his real name). the guy said himself he wasn't afraid to show himself in the face of corruption, but batman told him to wear a mask to protect his loved ones. being "Robin" in the mask is doing both. and unlike Bruce Wayne, john blake's a nobody...bruce wayne created "Batman" out of a childhood fear of bats - i could totally see john blake not using the name "Robin" because of some kind of childhood tragedy. it would be poetic from him to adopt the name again to fight crime. am i alone here?

oh well. I still don't think he'd be the next Batman though...that would undo everything bruce accomplished as batman. why would he be mad at the copycats, but be okay with blake dressing up as batman? i'm pretty sure he wants blake to find his own way, but offered his tools and gadgets. i sort of get why people would want him as nightwing, but that identity belongs to dick grayson and the ancient kryptonian.

I think that's as fair an interpretation as any. They left Blake's open pretty open for the audience to fill in the blank, I think this is just another viable way to look at it.

I think the only concrete thing is the fact that Blake was shown to be different from Bruce Wayne in several ways, so it's natural to assume that he will use the tools Bruce gave him and forge his own path. Even if he was Batman, he'd be a different type of Batman.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #100
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken View Post

I still feel a better idea would be if he started his own underground 'Sons Of Batman' with a select group from the orphanage. Plenty of opportunity there for future moral implications as well...is it the League of Shadows all over again, is it rally better to go about it lone, etc...?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote