The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
OcStat
Side-Kick

Default What could be Marvel's next big spectacle?

After the Avengers, superhero movies have even more to live up to than ever before. Phase 2 is underway and we are gonna have plenty of big action scenes through out all those films, and I am looking forward to all of them.

People talk about super hero box office fatigue or over saturation of the CBM market. I personally don't buy it (because as a Marvel fan I am interested in all the characters), but a few of my friends seem to think that's the case.

So after a movie as huge as the Avengers, do you think any of the upcoming Marvel films can wrestle the throne from it?

I hesitantly say to you all, I think not.

That is not to say the films will be bad. I imagine they will scale down the scope of those films to let the characters breathe. And I know the action scenes will still be great as most of the films have yet to give us reason to think otherwise. But for the general audience, I don't think the singular films will satisfy their need for a bigger, more grandiose spectacle of super hero might.

So what could?

Avengers 2 is the first most obvious choice, but maybe the general crowd (surely ((hopefully)) not us SSH! readers) might get a feeling of deja vu?

I would like to see the planned Fantastic Four reboot really take the cake. They are Marvel's first team, the self proclaimed world's greatest comic team. I recently reread Millar's F4, and with him on board with Fox, if the next film goes in that direction we can be in for a real treat. Seeing as how The Avengers took bits and pieces from his Ultimates run, this might be our winner. But I doubt it thanks to the stinkitude left behind the last two F4 movies.

What I truly, honestly think...is the ONE thing we can see on screen that will dominate the action in The Avengers is!

The Amazing Spider-Man vs. The Sinister Six.

What's better than 6 heroes vs. 1 villain? 1 hero vs. 6! A high school kid against 6 murderous maniacs. I think Marc Webb is capable of delivering it on the screen. Using a reverse Avengers method of introducing the villains in each Amazing Spider-Man film for a grand finale between Spider-Man and his foes.

It doesn't matter if the line up is the original Sinister Six, we probably won't see Webb's version of Doc Ock and Sandman. Heck I can't even say Webb will get to film it. But we already have Lizard, Electro, plus the Green Goblin on the way. They can wrap up the "Untold Story" in their planned trilogy, and give Spider-Man the fight of his life in a 4th movie to put Spider-Man back where he belongs, at the TOP of the best comic book movie list.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Baramos
Side-Kick

Default Re: What could be Marvel's next big spectacle?

I'm not seeing any super-hero fatigue, though it might depend on how bad Iron Man 3 is or something. I think I'm significantly less invested in Iron Man than before, but my interest in Thor and Captain America have grown, so...of course, we have not seen the sequels to those franchises yet, they could be like Iron Man 2 and be fairly middling, or they could be spectacular.

I think a Fantastic Four reboot could be successful since I assume they will do the Thing totally CGI like they did the Hulk in the new movies. But the rights are still in the hands of Fox, aren't they?

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I honestly don't think anything is going to top the spectacle of Avengers 1, just because of the sheer novelty of the idea --- a genuine honest-to-god superhero team-up, done the way God and Stan Lee intended. Even future Avengers movies are going to lack that, because there's only one "first time."

I *do* think that it's inevitable that adding other cash cows like Spider-Man and Wolverine from Sony and Fox, respectively, into the Avengers is a sure-fire way to up the spectacle level for Avengers, so that might top Avengers 1.

Other than that, the only thing I'd bet on to outdo Avengers 1 would be an Avengers vs. JLA movie. But only after WB gets off their late asses and catches up in the shared-world arena.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Other than that, the only thing I'd bet on to outdo Avengers 1 would be an Avengers vs. JLA movie. But only after WB gets off their late asses and catches up in the shared-world arena.
Or, just an actual, good JL film.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
Or, just an actual, good JL film.
or just a good movie outside of the batman franchise...

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Sinister Six would rock my world. Too bad ASM left me feeling a bit "meh." Unless ASM2 changes things up a lot, I'd almost rather wait to see the six go up against Spider-Man in a different interpretation of the character.

Maybe the next reboot

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
Sinister Six would rock my world. Too bad ASM left me feeling a bit "meh." Unless ASM2 changes things up a lot, I'd almost rather wait to see the six go up against Spider-Man in a different interpretation of the character.

Maybe the next reboot
I have to agree with you, out of all the comic book movies that are being made, ASM 2 just seems so mundane.

Everything in Marvel Phase Two, just seems like its going to be quite outstanding. I really think that Phase Two is going to be thee classic Phase for Marvel kinda like their own Dark Knight.

X-Men: DOFP the title alone has fans all over the world excited, The Wolverine in Japan conjures up a whole bunch of excitement.

Even though Warner wants to make some Avengers money, by pushing JL, that film is still three years away which atleast shows that they really planning on making it a good film,

but Spidey Vs Electro just doesn't seem all that intriguing, even if Osborn is added, it just doesnt conjure up any real excitement. they probably saving the Sinister Six for the third film which will probably be great.

But i still feel that ASM didnt have to take us all the way back to before Peter became Spidey, they really could have just touched on it like we have seen in Incredible Hulk, and start the film with Peter as Spidey, and that would have freed up some more time to tell a different story. Hell, even that animated Ultimate Spidey, covered the origin story in a minute.

M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Sinister Six, Planet/World War Hulk, Avengers 2/3, Fantastic 4

All have the potential. Look at what Nolan did with a film that doesnt feature any team-ups. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Sinister Six, Planet/World War Hulk, Avengers 2/3, Fantastic 4

All have the potential. Look at what Nolan did with a film that doesnt feature any team-ups. We'll have to wait and see.
You know something we don't?

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
OcStat
Side-Kick

None of us know, we can only hope.

Though I thought a new Fantastic Four by Fox is officially in production.

Last edited by OcStat; 11-28-2012 at 02:56 PM.
OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Marvel can go in the other direction: Look into its history, and for example:
Patsy Walker, Millie the Model- Marvel's teen/tween culture characters (the "Archie" knockoffs), could be done for very modest budgets, with unknown/semi-known actors.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Marvel can go in the other direction: Look into its history, and for example:
Patsy Walker, Millie the Model- Marvel's teen/tween culture characters (the "Archie" knockoffs), could be done for very modest budgets, with unknown/semi-known actors.
I've always thought a Patsy Walker: Helcat film had potential, if done semi-satirically.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
I'm not seeing any super-hero fatigue, though it might depend on how bad Iron Man 3 is or something. I think I'm significantly less invested in Iron Man than before, but my interest in Thor and Captain America have grown, so...of course, we have not seen the sequels to those franchises yet, they could be like Iron Man 2 and be fairly middling, or they could be spectacular.

I think a Fantastic Four reboot could be successful since I assume they will do the Thing totally CGI like they did the Hulk in the new movies. But the rights are still in the hands of Fox, aren't they?

I fear Iron Man 3 is going to have "too much" in it.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

I love TA as much as the next guy but it really didn't have much of a depth to go with the plot. The only way to top something like TA would be to make a TA that's thought-provoking and has the same sort of human drama that makes it a truly Oscar-worthy film on its own. If it were up to me, I'd go with a straight up adaptation of Alex Ross' Marvels that pretty much condenses the entire Marvel continuity from the POV of a bystander. Do that with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and you get one really solid movie that combines.... everything.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
metaphysician
Side-Kick

*shakes head and sighs*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
I love TA as much as the next guy but it really didn't have much of a depth to go with the plot. The only way to top something like TA would be to make a TA that's thought-provoking and has the same sort of human drama that makes it a truly Oscar-worthy film on its own. If it were up to me, I'd go with a straight up adaptation of Alex Ross' Marvels that pretty much condenses the entire Marvel continuity from the POV of a bystander. Do that with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and you get one really solid movie that combines.... everything.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Chewy
REDACTED

The deepest Marvel movie will be Namor

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Ouch.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
The deepest Marvel movie will be Namor

I can't wait for James Cameron's Marvel's Namor: The Sub-Mariner. The title alone gets me all tingly.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Maybe the reboot of the X-Men movie series .

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Maybe the reboot of the X-Men movie series .

Wasn't X:FC the reboot? I don't remember that pulling down Avengers numbers, or even Captain America numbers.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #22
def28
Side-Kick

Avenger sequels,Sinister Six,Maximum Carnage,Civil War (I know a majority of comic fans hate it but it would be a huge flick), FF with Skrull Invasion or Galactus storyline and Planet Hulk.

If X Men gets it **** together and starts expanding its teams an Age Of Apocalypse movie could be pretty ****ing epic, and given the proper build could match the Avengers scale. Remenders Dark Angel Saga would be a good follow up. If all goes good DOFP itself should rank up pretty high on the most epic Marvel film list.

Last edited by def28; 12-15-2012 at 02:57 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
Da Games Elite
Side-Kick

As far as spectacle goes, honestly...I think we are overlooking one major thing: Thor 2.

Of course, everything else already mentioned would be amazing, but think about it: it sounds like Thor 2 is going to be more of an epic gigantic war film across all the worlds than the original one, which was just a very small, but in my opinion quality, film. We're dealing with a film with potentially more than one villain in it, armies, all out war, and the threat of Thanos looming on the horizon. This film can be huge.

Plus, inevitably, they're going to need to touch upon Surtur...

We may be a LOT closer to another huge spectacle than we think.

Da Games Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

TDW or GOTG could be the next big spectacle. I think Avengers 2 will top them both, though.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #25
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Wasn't X:FC the reboot? I don't remember that pulling down Avengers numbers, or even Captain America numbers.
It wasn't a reboot.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote