The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #476
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
well you answered my question. thats my guess as well.

I think they need to revamp the Falcon to make him believable within the MCU. A mechanical harness aint gonna cut it.

Plus they need to explain why flappable wings are better than, say, a supersonic battle suit (Stark isnt the only game in town btw). Furthermore, wouldnt a regular guy with huge wings be a sitting duck for rockets, lasers, gunfire, aircraft,etc.? Im extremely curious to find out how they're gonna make it work.

And no, "light wings" would actually be much much worse.

I'm not a troll btw. I like Sam Wilson as a character, and i think his skill set is a good complement to Cap as well the Avengers and SHIELD. But I dont think the character works "as is" in the MCU.

I expect some major changes to his "powers" and equipment when we see him in Cap 2.
U not a troll, this is a good post. I wonder will they introduce as Falcon with wings when he makes his first appearance or will they keep the wings for the third act of the film?

Maybe the Wings will be part of some elaborate armor, with thrusters, weapons gadgets and some sort of power source (since Tony refuses to share his beloved arc reactor technology). The Wings would basically be for stabilization, ease of flight and maneuvering, with the thrust providing the speed and agility. Sam basically gets the prototype as the suit is expensive and there aren't many Agents willing to die trying to fly this thing. Sam would make it is own by continuously upgrading, repairing and removing certain components, even adding a little color. No one can fly Sam's suit because of all his tinkering, and its really SAM's audacious daring flying that makes him the perfect "Falcon".

Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #477
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I hope he already has his wings by the time the movie begins, myself.

I'd imagine he made it himself, and its too expensive to produce, or too difficult to master, or maybe he just doesn't wan to market it, so he's the only one using it.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #478
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
U not a troll, this is a good post. I wonder will they introduce as Falcon with wings when he makes his first appearance or will they keep the wings for the third act of the film?

Maybe the Wings will be part of some elaborate armor, with thrusters, weapons gadgets and some sort of power source (since Tony refuses to share his beloved arc reactor technology). The Wings would basically be for stabilization, ease of flight and maneuvering, with the thrust providing the speed and agility. Sam basically gets the prototype as the suit is expensive and there aren't many Agents willing to die trying to fly this thing. Sam would make it is own by continuously upgrading, repairing and removing certain components, even adding a little color. No one can fly Sam's suit because of all his tinkering, and its really SAM's audacious daring flying that makes him the perfect "Falcon".
If Sam is with SHIELD in the movie, I suppose his gear is powered by either Chitauri technology or reverse engineered Destroyer armor technology, the wings can easily explained as derivates from Chitauri biotechnology. New York has changed the MCU, a lot more things are possible now..

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #479
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

I like that R_Hythlodeus. Within the MCU, reverse engineering or adaptation of alien tech actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't think of that.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #480
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Both, Coulsons Destroyer gun and Item 47, played with that idea. From that to Falcon's gear and wings it is only a small step.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #481
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

At first, I was about to chime in with my usual 'augh, not everything needs to be connected'

But I think you're on to something. Not the destroyer, as I don't see how an automaton with an energy canon for a face leads to wings.

But the Chitauri gliders, and the Leviathans, seemed to remain airborne without any normal means of propulsion. So Chitauri-derived wings for Sam it is.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #482
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
well you answered my question. thats my guess as well.

I think they need to revamp the Falcon to make him believable within the MCU. A mechanical harness aint gonna cut it.

Plus they need to explain why flappable wings are better than, say, a supersonic battle suit (Stark isnt the only game in town btw). Furthermore, wouldnt a regular guy with huge wings be a sitting duck for rockets, lasers, gunfire, aircraft,etc.? Im extremely curious to find out how they're gonna make it work.

And no, "light wings" would actually be much much worse.

I'm not a troll btw. I like Sam Wilson as a character, and i think his skill set is a good complement to Cap as well the Avengers and SHIELD. But I dont think the character works "as is" in the MCU.

I expect some major changes to his "powers" and equipment when we see him in Cap 2.
Bird flight has some advantages over conventional fixed wing designs. There wings designs give them more agility and maneuverability in flight than conventional wing designs. On top of that bird's can get similar flight speeds as equivalent sized model airplanes only its far more energy efficient. The military is currently trying to develop mechanical bird drones for that reason.
Robotic Bird Takes Flight
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

California Company Unveils Hummingbird Spy Drone
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Example:
Model Plane vs Magpie
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A bird could out maneuver a missile. They can change directions immediately.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 12-17-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #483
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

a man-sized bird could NOT outmaneuver a missile. everthing changes when we are talking about a 225 lb man. the wings, to actually work like bird wings, would have to be ENOURMOUS. sorry but your explanation is beside the point given the physics involved. (and its been tested by several sources, including the mythbusters team. its not practical with today's or tomorrows tech. period full stop)

have we actually heard anything about Falcon's power set in the movie, or how he achieves it? I think i read something about biomechanical implants and some kind of serum.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #484
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
At first, I was about to chime in with my usual 'augh, not everything needs to be connected'

But I think you're on to something. Not the destroyer, as I don't see how an automaton with an energy canon for a face leads to wings.

But the Chitauri gliders, and the Leviathans, seemed to remain airborne without any normal means of propulsion. So Chitauri-derived wings for Sam it is.
I hope not.
Granted, the MCU is probably going to be using the "alien reverse engineering" as an excuse for *lots* of things for many movies to come, but I hope Falcon gets his wings from a human source, as comic bookery intended. In particular, Wakandan tech.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #485
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
a man-sized bird could NOT outmaneuver a missile. everthing changes when we are talking about a 225 lb man. the wings, to actually work like bird wings, would have to be ENOURMOUS. sorry but your explanation is beside the point given the physics involved. (and its been tested by several sources, including the mythbusters team. its not practical with today's or tomorrows tech. period full stop)

have we actually heard anything about Falcon's power set in the movie, or how he achieves it? I think i read something about biomechanical implants and some kind of serum.
Did you just bring Physics to a Comic book fight.

Ironman's armor isn't aerodynamic. Even with the extra rocket boosters on his back it still would be impossible for him to fly and make all of those turns. Not to mention the G-forces should have kill him when he tired. The suit also doesn't have any means of reducing the shocks that he's constantly absorbing when h'es crashing around. Tony Stark's internal organs should all have ruptured and turned to mush.

Hulk's Body and muscle mass wasn't enough to deliver they type of energy need to stop the Leviathan.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #486
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

pretty much everything in the MCU already defies physics....

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #487
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Not everything, they take a few liberties. Not enough to justify Falcon's 10 foot wingspan giving him flight though. I like the reverse engineered Chitauri and the wings more as slicing weapons/shields/solar panels that help with steering more than anything else.

He wouldn't be using Stark tech because he's a SHIELD guy. I particularly like the idea where he's a SHIELD techie who made the wings for Cap, but ends up having to use them himself in a pinch.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #488
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Yeah, if he's a SHIELD agent (just speculation for now), he wouldn't be using Stark tech; but he very well could be using wings that were designed by a very famous Wakandan genius. That's the way it was in the comics, and I think it'd fit just fine in the MCU as well.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #489
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I hope not.
Granted, the MCU is probably going to be using the "alien reverse engineering" as an excuse for *lots* of things for many movies to come, but I hope Falcon gets his wings from a human source, as comic bookery intended. In particular, Wakandan tech.
Yeah, but reverse-engineering Chitauri tech to learn how it works, then using that knowledge to build something different is still getting it from a human source.

Quote:
Yeah, if he's a SHIELD agent (just speculation for now), he wouldn't be using Stark tech; but he very well could be using wings that were designed by a very famous Wakandan genius. That's the way it was in the comics, and I think it'd fit just fine in the MCU as well.
That's one set of wings, though. The one with hard-light, I don't remember who made the other one, but it wasn't T'Challa.

I agree that he shouldn't be using Stark tech, because really, we know that Stark is smart and you don't need to tout that at every turn.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #490
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:

Stark consults for SHIELD in MCU though

Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #491
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Stark consults for SHIELD in MCU though
I would expect that after the events of the Avengers, he has severed all contact.

Don't think Consultancy would entail devising equipment for them, either.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #492
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
That's one set of wings, though. The one with hard-light, I don't remember who made the other one, but it wasn't T'Challa.
Yes it was.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #493
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Not everything, they take a few liberties. Not enough to justify Falcon's 10 foot wingspan giving him flight though.

Comic book physics can justify an aircraft carrier that weighs approximately >70,000 tons being lifted to 30,000 feet by four turbines. After that, justifying a 225 lb. man flying with ten foot wings is a piece of cake.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #494
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Pixie dust?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #495
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Comic book physics can justify an aircraft carrier that weighs approximately >70,000 tons being lifted to 30,000 feet by four turbines. After that, justifying a 225 lb. man flying with ten foot wings is a piece of cake.
lol yeah I always loved the Old Helicarrier's props. lol Reminded me of normal sized umbrellas. lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #496
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

More like 10 ft per wing and its still completely impractical and obsolete given the tech already available in the MCU. Especially for military applications.

Everything ive read so far suggests that Marvel will indeed be drastically altering the characters powers and equipment for this movie so its good to see they recognize the issues.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #497
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Everything ive read so far suggests that Marvel will indeed be drastically altering the characters powers and equipment
Makes one wonder why use the character if that's the case.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #498
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Makes one wonder why use the character if that's the case.
Need a token black avenger. He'll probably die first in avengers 2, haha

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #499
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
More like 10 ft per wing and its still completely impractical and obsolete given the tech already available in the MCU. Especially for military applications.

Everything ive read so far suggests that Marvel will indeed be drastically altering the characters powers and equipment for this movie so its good to see they recognize the issues.

What have you read that suggests this? Comments in this thread or quotes from the writers of CA:TWS? Marvel has a very good history of adapting its characters plausibly to the film universe. The Falcon will doubtless get the MCU treatment and be as believable to the audience when flying as Iron Man and Thor. There is no plausible reason why either of those characters can fly (no, magic is not a plausible reason), yet everyone accepts them with no problem. Falcon's powers will be fine.

As proof that Falcon being carried aloft 10-foot wings is plausible, I present this video of a golden eagle carrying off a young child.* The bird dropped the baby, but not before lifting off with him and flying several feet. Falcon's wings don't flap like a bird's, but imagine a compact, stylized variation on a hang glider rig with a jetpack for lift. It could definitely work. (Don't watch if ornithophobic!)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

* Yes, I'm kidding. Mostly.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #500
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

So apparently Nick Fury is going to have a larger role in the film and may get some of his backstory fleshed out?

http://www.digitalspy.ca/movies/news...ry-origin.html

Closed Thread