The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
The Eradicator
Side-Kick

Default Re: HOLY ARKHAM LOGIC BATMAN! The Crazy, Insane Theory about Nolanverse Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
#2 The Kubrickean analogies continue with the Joker -- no not just in the very obvious design and anarchist influences of Alex DeLarge, but in the other idea about the Joker's past.

He tells us a frightening story about how his father was a drinker... and one night he gets crazier than usual...

'Mom' got the knife from the kitchen...

But he doesn't like that... not one bit.

(spoiler tags for an F bomb - the scene has the father threatening mom to stop pointing the damned knife at his face)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"Why So Serious"
is essentially the theme of The Shining, and the story about the traumatised little Joker-boy with Ledger is actually this kid:

seeing this:

WHo... yes... happens to be the son of the same guy who played the Joker in the last good Batman film series. I always agreed to the notion that Ledger's Joker is spiritually a bastardized son of Nicholson's Joker.
I think you're really onto something here. There is no way in hell that this is a coincidence.

Good job!

The Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Default Re: HOLY ARKHAM LOGIC BATMAN! The Crazy, Insane Theory about Nolanverse Thread

I can't find the post but some guy here mentioned about the Nolan Universe taking place before the Burton/Schumacher verse.

Crazy idea that can work if you don't look at it too closely. lol

Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Metropolis_Man
Collectin' ain't easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedhut View Post
Funny, I watched The Shining recently and couldnt help to notice Ledger's Joker shared some mannerism with Jack (particularly in the bar scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLB21If2YA)
Same thing happened to me about 2 years after TDK was released. I had never seen the Shining and it was on tv one night so I checked it out with my wife. When that bar scene came up I told her that his mannerisms and just his general acting in that scene reminded me exactly of Ledger's Joker. Glad someone else saw it too.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Frodo
Side-Kick

The shot in TDKR of Batman and Catwoman flying in the Bat over Gotham at night is taken straight from Bladerunner .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane View Post
Blade Runner
The narrows was based on Kowloon( which is pretty much LA from BR).

Rachel Dawes is named after Rachel from BR, and Sean Young was supposed to play Vicky Vale in B89 and then later Catwoman in BR.

The Tumbler is based on the Police Speeder from BR (no front axel & etc).
Also the scenes of the Bat landing on a rooftop reminded me a lot of the scenes in Blade Runner with that Police vehicle landing.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

This thread is full of radical notions. I like it.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
Blue_Scholar
The Battiest and Manliest

Quote:
#2 The Kubrickean analogies continue with the Joker -- no not just in the very obvious design and anarchist influences of Alex DeLarge, but in the other idea about the Joker's past.

He tells us a frightening story about how his father was a drinker... and one night he gets crazier than usual...

'Mom' got the knife from the kitchen...

But he doesn't like that... not one bit.

(spoiler tags for an F bomb - the scene has the father threatening mom to stop pointing the damned knife at his face)
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it was a baseball bat she was swinging at him in that scene.

Theory debunked.

"The Dark Knight Trilogy" is such a pretentious title, I'm leaning more towards "RISES: The Dark Batman Knight Begins".

That's much better.
Blue_Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #33
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Scholar View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it was a baseball bat she was swinging at him in that scene.

Theory debunked.

But she dropped it and then picked up the knife when she got back to the room. When he axed the door she had the knife.

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, we're all gonna die. Come watch TV. -Morty Smith
John Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
elgato
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Why not right? I mean sure The Killing Joke essentiallyhas the same origin story but ftn

And of course, who doesn't love thinking about Harl?

That's ... actually really interesting about the symbolism that grips Batman not just in Nolan-verse but in every incarnation. I think people tend to not look too much into the Freudian implication of hero-myths and stories about heroism a lot these days because Freud's theories have become so much a staple of 20th Century thinking. But it's there, and while I don't pretend to know what Nolan got influenced by or was thinking when he made these movies, I do think that there are more Freudian aspects in the trilogy than we give him credit for.

Nolan's films have always had a Jungian dimension, so there's that as well.
The three movies are pretty archetypical, that's maybe the most important thing about them.

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #35
TheWatcher
Dapper

This thread has blown my mind.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #36
Blue_Scholar
The Battiest and Manliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Freud said that our life memories are all pearls in a necklace, and like in a necklace they are all tied to each other.

Also to re-iterate on this fine observation.

Bruce gave his mother's pearl necklace to Selina, his, presumably future wife.

Isn't there a concept in Freudian theory regarding men that are frozen in time (an arrested development) who are seeking their mothers again in the form of their wives?

Thoughts?

"The Dark Knight Trilogy" is such a pretentious title, I'm leaning more towards "RISES: The Dark Batman Knight Begins".

That's much better.
Blue_Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #37
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bane View Post
Mentmore towers is the mansion in "Eyes Wide Shut"(Nolan is a very big fan of Kubrick), which is Wayne Manor in "Batman Begins"
That is downright subversive I can't believe I didn't notice that, considering I rewatched Eyes Wide Shut not too long ago. This is not the kind of thing that one forgets....

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #38
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Try this one on for size guys:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Interesting stuff here and soothing in a really weird way.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

hey all -- sorry i havent been posting so much lately -- the vbulletin boards got me banned on some weird technical glitch (happens every other day to the point where I can't find myself NOT banned when I get on here!) Is that happening to anyone else here?

Anyway, I love the insights by Bane-- dude mind if I use em in an article? I'll give you an honourable mention

Here's one for today:

Nolan prophesised and tackled a string of future Hollywood trends

"More copy cats today Alfred, with guns..."

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

^ I know some of the pics aren't directly similar but I'm sure we're all familiar with the adaptations to find the similarities to be strikingly there. Not really a "revelation" but still. But oh. Guess what? It extends to the previous series as well!

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #41
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Batman Forever gets a special mention:

Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

"Everyone can be a hero have a Batman-influenced film adaptation!"

Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #43
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
The three movies are pretty archetypical, that's maybe the most important thing about them.
Still working on that archetypal article on TDK and TDKR here

Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
bane
TEH PUFFY

Quote:
Anyway, I love the insights by Bane-- dude mind if I use em in an article? I'll give you an honourable mention
Sure, use anything you want. I don't mind.

Old man look at my life,
I'm alot like you were.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #45
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
RustyCage
Come what may..

I'm in love with this thread. Have a few things to contribute when I get more time.

Quote:

Shouldn't that be Ledger's Joker next to The Crow there?