The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #801
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

I hadn't made any comments on the quality of TDKR until last week....because I didn't see it until after it came out on DVD. Many people are just now getting to see it, and so are new to commenting on it.

When I started commenting on it last week, and explaining calmly and rationally why I did not like the film as a whole. I was repeatedly told I was wrong. I was told I couldn't comprehend a well made movie. I was told I was over sensitive. And so on and so on.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion of TDKR. I am not telling anyone their opinion or feeling is wrong.

I simply ask the same in return.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #802
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the movie C. Lee...

Did you like anything in particular?

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #803
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I hadn't made any comments on the quality of TDKR until last week....because I didn't see it until after it came out on DVD. Many people are just now getting to see it, and so are new to commenting on it.

When I started commenting on it last week, and explaining calmly and rationally why I did not like the film as a whole. I was repeatedly told I was wrong. I was told I couldn't comprehend a well made movie. I was told I was over sensitive. And so on and so on.

I am not trying to change anyone's opinion of TDKR. I am not telling anyone their opinion or feeling is wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Myself? I'm just so disastified with the movie that I suppose I like coming here to talk to others of the same ilk. At the same time, I do enjoy reading the posts of those that like it and hear what they have to say. I don't feel that I have to 'go after' people that post positive reviews of the film as I respect their opinions, but it does seem at times that some posters really take it to heart when I've posted negative comments about the film. Debating with someone that this movie was 'good' or 'bad' is as futile as debating "duck season" or 'rabbit season". Just depends on your perspective.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #804
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I disagree with your opinion of TDKR (I think it is the second best comic book movie ever made, right after its predecessor), but I feel the same way about the rest of what you said.

The only reason I don't go to the TASM boards anymore is because I don't have anything more to say about it. Needless to say, I thought it was mediocre at best. But if I did have something to say about it, I wouldn't let the fact that I didn't like the film stop me from commenting on it. Maybe after a second viewing, but I have no desire to ever watch TASM again.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #805
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
BTW is it me or does EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. on these boards turn into the same few posters complaining about either the LOS returning, the Talia twist, no Joker and/or not enough Batman/too much Blake? In short: every thread is turned into the same few people complaining about TDKR being a rehash/disappointment/failure.

If anyone construes what I or some others write as condescending, it is not meant to be. It just when every thread is turned into the same conversation by the same few posters, responses tend to get more blunt as the circle goes round.

^^
You hit the nail on the head buddy!

Quoted for truth!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #806
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I can't really speak for every dissenter, but I suspect that they don't do it consciously.
Most posters aren't here solely for Batman. You'll spot many of them in the Superman boards, X-men, Spider-man, Misc and many other boards. They may get the urge to check out what's brewing in the Bat boards -- perhaps as a force of habit after spending so much time here -- as they scroll the main page up and down. Then they may start to read posts that they personally disagree with in regard to the film's quality and reignite tired debates. But they feel that enough time has passed (a week, perhaps two) that they can reiterate their old points without seeming repetitive (you may disagree). It doesn't bother me because it's the nature of these boards.
That is perfectly...understandable. And reasonable. I believe there's a lot of users who behave like that , and its perfectly normal. . Others...not so much. They linger , daily , they trash everything and know they are just stirring the boards. I dont find that normal in a Bat-Board , and specifically a TDKR Board. If there's a character that has a lot to talk about , that character is...Batman. Yet it only seems Rises is the one subject they appreciate to talk about , although profoundly disliking it. Like i've already read here , proud of not liking. That to my is bizarre. And creepy.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #807
regwec
Shakespearo

But the TDKR board is for discussions about TDKR, no? So, if they want to debate whether Vicki Vale or Sylvia St Cloud is Bruce Wayne's true love, this would be the wrong forum to do it.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #808
Demon Hunter
Side-Kick

I'm sorry if this was already posted by somebody else but The Dark Rises is the best movie of 2012 according to MTV - http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...ies-2012.jhtml
It is also the top user rated movie of 2012 in IMDB.
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/year-in-r...to_yir_3p_1#10
I'm happy that at least the fans appreciate the movie

Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #809
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Hunter View Post
I'm happy that at least the fans appreciate the movie
Thanks for pointing that out.
I've been to many, many midnight premieres- I love being around the energy of fans who are so committed and enthusiastic- and I have never, ever experienced an audience response like the one for TDKR. Generous applause, yes (Return Of The King, Spider-Man II and Batman Begins come to mind), but there was a roar at the end of Rises that I can only compare to a football stadium when the home team scores a last-second touchdown to win. The celebratory atmosphere even spilled into the parking lot as all the theaters emptied. I've been to at least a dozen of these type premieres, and the TDKR experience was unique.
The determined criticism at these boards would lead one to believe that the film is, at a minimum, 'divisive' (a favorite term here), or somewhere on the continuum to outright failure. As for the near-fetishistic 'plot-hole' discussions, there may not be a film ever made that could withstand the scrutiny. Citizen Kane would have to be thrown on the ash heap after the first scene.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #810
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight08 View Post
Precisely. I mean, once Bane was announced, people were clamoring and complaining that Nolan might not show him getting his back broken. The storyline has its most iconic moment reproduced and we, as an audience, need to feel the direness of the situation. I'm not going to go as far as to say people who want more Batman are dumb (they're not), but any story based on Knightfall needs this. Had this been Riddler or Black Mask in this film, I'd be 100% with you. But it's Bane. He broke the Bat and all that's left is Bruce Wayne. I mean, it's in the comics, yo!
How long does it take to recover from a dislocated vertebra? Because the film showed that it took Bruce a full three months to do it and another month to build himself....

Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #811
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Sorry to hear you didn't like the movie C. Lee...

Did you like anything in particular?
Yes. Anne as Catwoman was one of the best things about it for me.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #812
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

On the comics you mean?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He takes a long time, he has to spent his time on a wheelchair. In the end, he is cured by the unexplainable healing powers of Dr. Shondra Kinsloving, whose mind is regressed to a child like state for reasons I don't understand.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #813
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
On the comics you mean?

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
He takes a long time, he has to spent his time on a wheelchair. In the end, he is cured by the unexplainable healing powers of Dr. Shondra Kinsloving, whose mind is regressed to a child like state for reasons I don't understand.
I don't care about the comics. What I care about is what's represented in the film. And in the film, it takes a while. Yes, in movie time, Nolan flubbed the feeling of time (which is a stylistic choice with the editing that he's been doing for the last few films), but the visual clues are all there to show that it took Bruce nearly four months to recover from the injury, build himself, and then it took 22 days for him to get back to Gotham.

On top of that, he didn't really have a broken back.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #814
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
But the TDKR board is for discussions about TDKR, no? So, if they want to debate whether Vicki Vale or Sylvia St Cloud is Bruce Wayne's true love, this would be the wrong forum to do it.
Exactly. I don't see the TDKR fan club written at the top of this forum. It's a discussion forum, that includes both positive and negative discussions.

Quote:
Yes. Anne as Catwoman was one of the best things about it for me.
Same here. She is my favorite element of the movie. She lifted it every time she appeared on screen. I just wish she was used more.

- The Joker
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #815
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
How long does it take to recover from a dislocated vertebra? Because the film showed that it took Bruce a full three months to do it and another month to build himself....
Usually about 6-12 weeks, but it depends on the severity. It happens in football from time to time.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #816
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Usually about 6-12 weeks, but it depends on the severity.
Which is essentially what the film showed.

The defense rests.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #817
I Am The Knight
Jokerized

Quote:
I don't care about the comics. What I care about is what's represented in the film. And in the film, it takes a while. Yes, in movie time, Nolan flubbed the feeling of time (which is a stylistic choice with the editing that he's been doing for the last few films), but the visual clues are all there to show that it took Bruce nearly four months to recover from the injury, build himself, and then it took 22 days for him to get back to Gotham.

On top of that, he didn't really have a broken back.
It took Bruce 22 days to get back to Gotham?

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by OriginalMiles!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #818
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
The way the movie is edited , its the timeframe we are given.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #819
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Knight View Post
Sure did. The scene between Fox, Tate, and Blake where he states that the bomb goes off in 23 days happens before Bruce escapes the Pit. When he finally reveals himself to Selina, he says the bomb goes off "tomorrow". When he finally meets up with Fox, Fox says the bomb goes off in 12 hours.

So, yeah, it took him 22 days to reveal himself. Granted, maybe he chilled at Wayne Manor for a few days to get himself squared away and whatnot but who knows....(sarcasm).

Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #820
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Sorry, I got kinda lost, I didn't get the point you are making.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #821
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Sure did. The scene between Fox, Tate, and Blake where he states that the bomb goes off in 23 days happens before Bruce escapes the Pit. When he finally reveals himself to Selina, he says the bomb goes off "tomorrow". When he finally meets up with Fox, Fox says the bomb goes off in 12 hours.

So, yeah, it took him 22 days to reveal himself. Granted, maybe he chilled at Wayne Manor for a few days to get himself squared away and whatnot but who knows....(sarcasm).
Yeah. I think the idea is that he got all his ducks in a row before revealing himself. Setup the signal for Gordon, the bridge signal, amended his will, fixed the autopilot, etc.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #822
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:

Was it implied anywhere that Bruce escaped immediately after the scene where it said that the bomb will go off in 23 days? Maybe he didn't? I can't remember.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #823
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah. I think the idea is that he got all his ducks in a row before revealing himself. Setup the signal for Gordon, the bridge signal, amended his will, fixed the autopilot, etc.
Yeah. I figured the same...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #824
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
BTW is it me or does EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. on these boards turn into the same few posters complaining about either the LOS returning, the Talia twist, no Joker and/or not enough Batman/too much Blake? In short: every thread is turned into the same few people complaining about TDKR being a rehash/disappointment/failure.

If anyone construes what I or some others write as condescending, it is not meant to be. It just when every thread is turned into the same conversation by the same few posters, responses tend to get more blunt as the circle goes round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
^^
You hit the nail on the head buddy!

Quoted for truth!
I disagree. I don't see how that is categorically different from the same legions of forum members praising Nolan's vision, Bale's performance, Catwoman, Bane, the "epic conclusion", among many, many other things.

I see this type of sentiment often; trying to invalidate criticism by pointing out how repetitive it has been, and I only view it as a poorly thought out way to discredit contrarian opinions, if for no other reason than how hypocritical, and shortsighted it is. We have no problem listening to people gush all day about how awesome our favorite film or character is, but any negativity gets unfairly scrutinized. How much worth do you really get from commentary and discussion that you're in complete agreement with? How do you learn anything? All that post reminds me of is the quintessential "argument disqualifier" that we all hear far too frequently..."Haters gonna hate!"

It kinda hearkens back to what C.Lee has been saying the last few pages, in that we would all be better off with a little less intolerance and a little more civility.

I saw another post that was essentially asking "If you're not here to say nice things about Batman, why do you keep coming back?" I view this as the same fallacy as above, but in a different coat of paint. I would argue that if you're looking for a superhero circle-jerk, then you're also in the wrong place. If you're only after people who completely agree with everything you say, then you may as well be talking to yourself. At the end of the day, we all come here to share opinions and discuss a hobby that's near and dear to all our hearts - comic books, and the media associated with it. Now, we're all set in our ways, and I think I speak for many of us when I say that, in most cases, somebody won't just convince us to like or dislike certain characters, stories, plot points, etc. The idea is pure nonsense, but once in a blue moon...what I can say happens is that I'll get some valuable insight on a subject that I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon on my own. IMO, every time we try to stifle someone's voice, it kills this possibility.

/rant

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #825
CJ
Derpy Derp

Well said.

Sonic Boom
This Fall on Cartoon Network

Closed Thread