Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #701
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hiddleston: Loki Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
me too. not sure though, my old college roommate (who loves LoTR) HATED the hobbit. he said it was just horrible and poorly made and rushed. :/ so I'm torn
Saw it... ummm... it was okaaaaaay...

I don't want to tell anyone not to see it, but I'm kind of bummed that it really wasn't up to par with LOTR in numerous ways.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #702
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
Saw it... ummm... it was okaaaaaay...

I don't want to tell anyone not to see it, but I'm kind of bummed that it really wasn't up to par with LOTR in numerous ways.
That's kind of the sense I got reading headlines from reviewers who saw it earlier in the week.

I'm sure I'll see it eventually.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #703
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

The Hobbit was a good movie in my opinion. Trust me, I have seen much much worse. If you go into the movie without any expectations at all and are not comparing it to the LOTR trilogy you'll like it. If you liked The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe you'll love this movie.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #704
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
The Hobbit was a good movie in my opinion. Trust me, I have seen much much worse. If you go into the movie without any expectations at all and are not comparing it to the LOTR trilogy you'll like it. If you liked The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe you'll love this movie.
Even without comparing LOTR, like the way it was filmed, for some reason the camera would move and things would be blurry because of it, and I even felt dizzy a few times due to that! I mean, that's really NOT good. That and there were things about it that felt more like a TV movie quality to me. So... not terrible but not too terrific either. JMO

anyway, back to Tom/Loki...

an old interview but new to me so sharing...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by elizah72; 12-19-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #705
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

God, why does he have to be so articulate and charming? Trying to cure myself of my fangirlism isn't easy.

- It's not your exterior that should be the litmus test of your value but what's inside your heart.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #706
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
God, why does he have to be so articulate and charming? Trying to cure myself of my fangirlism isn't easy.
Why try?

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 12-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #707
American Maid
Side-Kick

Comments that Hiddleston made in the interview regarding Loki:

"Unloved and undervalued. . .You're placed within a family that runs the universe, and yet you don't belong anywhere near that family in actual fact."

I agree that Loki certainly feels that way in the middle and end of Thor1 (and in The Avengers). I don't think his family thought he didn't belong. (I can see a greater value placed on Thor's fighting ability than on Loki's magic use, though). Certainly it will be interesting to see how each family member feels in the next film. My guess is that all the relationships will be strained and fundamentally changed. No one can ignore what Loki did (though Loki may try), though I can believe that they would want him to find some peace so he can pay his debt and turn his life around.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #708
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
Why try?
I know... what's the point?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #709
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Comments that Hiddleston made in the interview regarding Loki:

"Unloved and undervalued. . .You're placed within a family that runs the universe, and yet you don't belong anywhere near that family in actual fact."

I agree that Loki certainly feels that way in the middle and end of Thor1 (and in The Avengers). I don't think his family thought he didn't belong. (I can see a greater value placed on Thor's fighting ability than on Loki's magic use, though). Certainly it will be interesting to see how each family member feels in the next film. My guess is that all the relationships will be strained and fundamentally changed. No one can ignore what Loki did (though Loki may try), though I can believe that they would want him to find some peace so he can pay his debt and turn his life around.
yeah I actually disagree with him a bit on that, I think that's how Loki feels but not necessarily totally the truth of it (which I don't think he means anyway). As I've said there are lines that point to him being a undervalued and underestimated in the beginning, and of course he was lied to (for instance deleted scene where Thor makes fun of Loki's magic, and the servant snickers). But I think his family did love him and did what they could to help him belong and Odin and Frigga were not bad parents per se... As has been posted somewhere in the Hiddleston Fandom - "Tom Hiddleston, more Loki Feels than you since 1981" LOL... He talks a lot about feeling compassion for the character, or he can't play it truthfully, and I think that's what goes into some of what he says in his interviews, he's got to be in that characters head and be compassionate to what he feels to play him truthfully. However, certainly if you asked Tony if Odin loved Loki, I'm sure he'd say he did, same with Renee/Frigga, and Chris/Thor.

one big change will be I'm betting none of them are undervaluing or underestimating his power now.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #710
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
one big change will be I'm betting none of them are undervaluing or underestimating his power now.
They certainly will take his power seriously. The missed opportunity from before the events of Thor1 was to treat positive use of magic as a success equal to that of positive use of fighting ability, so that Loki as a child could have learned to value the abilities he has, instead of fruitlessly trying to be Thor.

With all that's happened, it may not be possible to regard Loki's abilities so unreservedly going forward. I have the impression that is a theme from the kid Loki arc: even though this Loki is starting over at an age where he might yet turn a different way, he can't come out from under the weight of his past and his fellow Asgardians' expectations of him. The implication was that he was going to wind up the same as he always had; it was fate. I haven't read this arc, so I don't know if it actually worked out that way. But it strikes me as an interesting idea. So maybe they will examine it in this film: is Loki's fate locked in at this point, even if he has a change of heart?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #711
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
They certainly will take his power seriously. The missed opportunity from before the events of Thor1 was to treat positive use of magic as a success equal to that of positive use of fighting ability, so that Loki as a child could have learned to value the abilities he has, instead of fruitlessly trying to be Thor.
and he's really trying to be Thor and Odin in Avengers, by starting a war and getting into power that way. The Other says "you will have your war", indicating that was a part of the bargain. That is what father and big brother did to become respected so that's what he'll do now.... at least subconsciously I think that is one of the many elements going on in his head there. Thor starts wars and gets father's forgiveness and love anyway, Loki feels he tried to stop a war with the frost giants before it begins and he gets cast aside and exiled (in his head). So now "There is only the war."

Quote:
With all that's happened, it may not be possible to regard Loki's abilities so unreservedly going forward. I have the impression that is a theme from the kid Loki arc: even though this Loki is starting over at an age where he might yet turn a different way, he can't come out from under the weight of his past and his fellow Asgardians' expectations of him. The implication was that he was going to wind up the same as he always had; it was fate. I haven't read this arc, so I don't know if it actually worked out that way. But it strikes me as an interesting idea. So maybe they will examine it in this film: is Loki's fate locked in at this point, even if he has a change of heart?
I haven't read that all either, numerous panels though and I do know the ending... JIM ending spoilers below if interested...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So basically it ends with Kid Loki being taken over by old Loki who has been orchestrating things all along. Before this take over, Kid Loki says something like "never forget, I won I changed" and then old Loki takes over him and it appears KidLoki is now evil going into Young Avengers. So it is a confusing and somewhat depressing ending. However I think that this is all part of an eventual redemption arc, where the person who KidLoki had become and "won", will return, and win out over old Loki. At least the optimist in me is thinking that. LOL Only time will tell but I have a strong feeling from what I've seen of that comic, that's what they will eventually get to, eventually... And I think that chance of redemption and the possible return of who Kid Loki had become, is what will keep people reading. I'd be interested in what people who had read the whole thing, think about the chances of that. Storytelling-wise it seems too interesting not to come back to, and would give old Loki, now Kid Loki, an interesting inner struggle.

in regards to MCU Loki, I don't think they will feel that he is locked into anything yet. If they do a previous Ragnarok, or if Odin knows Loki is predestined to cause it, then it would seem that Odin felt that could be changed by raising him. Certainly the rest of his family and friends don't know about that or they'd have treated him far differently. And again, I think for 1000 years he acted a certain way, then snapped and changed, Thor acted a certain way for 1000 years and yet a few days on Earth changed that. So certainly Loki should not be considered to be permanently locked into his current mindset or fate.

Last edited by elizah72; 12-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #712
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
and he's really trying to be Thor and Odin in Avengers, by starting a war and getting into power that way. The Other says "you will have your war", indicating that was a part of the bargain. That is what father and big brother did to become respected so that's what he'll do now.... at least subconsciously I think that is one of the many elements going on in his head there. Thor starts wars and gets father's forgiveness and love anyway, Loki feels he tried to stop a war with the frost giants before it begins and he gets cast aside and exiled (in his head). So now "There is only the war."

I haven't read that all either, numerous panels though and I do know the ending... JIM ending spoilers below if interested...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
So basically it ends with Kid Loki being taken over by old Loki who has been orchestrating things all along. Before this take over, Kid Loki says something like "never forget, I won I changed" and then old Loki takes over him and it appears KidLoki is now evil going into Young Avengers. So it is a confusing and somewhat depressing ending. However I think that this is all part of an eventual redemption arc, where the person who KidLoki had become and "won", will return, and win out over old Loki. At least the optimist in me is thinking that. LOL Only time will tell but I have a strong feeling from what I've seen of that comic, that's what they will eventually get to, eventually... And I think that chance of redemption and the possible return of who Kid Loki had become, is what will keep people reading. I'd be interested in what people who had read the whole thing, think about the chances of that. Storytelling-wise it seems too interesting not to come back to, and would give old Loki, now Kid Loki, an interesting inner struggle.

in regards to MCU Loki, I don't think they will feel that he is locked into anything yet. If they do a previous Ragnarok, or if Odin knows Loki is predestined to cause it, then it would seem that Odin felt that could be changed by raising him. Certainly the rest of his family and friends don't know about that or they'd have treated him far differently. And again, I think for 1000 years he acted a certain way, then snapped and changed, Thor acted a certain way for 1000 years and yet a few days on Earth changed that. So certainly Loki should not be considered to be permanently locked into his current mindset or fate.
Of course that's where Loki messed up. Odin goes to war cause he had to, to save mankind. Thor, just wanted an excuse to bash some frost giant skulls in :P

and I actually love the idea of loki in prophecy being the one to trigger ragnarok. Perhaps it will be Loki that forms an allience with surtur, opposed to malekith. Then loki realizes what he's done, and helps stop him. (this not being thor 2, just..some future of the thor franchise)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #713
elizah72
Side-Kick

Looking at some comic panels I'm noticing a pattern. I wonder if MCU Loki will ever go full "bag of cats" and start referring himself in the 3rd person?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #714
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Looking at some comic panels I'm noticing a pattern. I wonder if MCU Loki will ever go full "bag of cats" and start referring himself in the 3rd person?
Yeah, it would have been too much to hope for (from a justice point of view) to expect Loki to remain a prisoner forever.

(PS That's not the only pattern I'm noticing )

Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #715
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

lol he won't. I wish though. Thor does that too, as does Odin, and Thanos lol.

I want thor to refer to himself as the son of odin again lol

Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #716
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
I know... what's the point?

Elizah, there you go again with your images that increase my Lust-O-Meter to dangerous levels yet again.

You know, I have figured it out, Thomas William Hiddleston is a modern day real life Candide in some ways.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #717
elizah72
Side-Kick

Tom just has too much fun with this Loki stuff. LOL

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #718
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:

Tom just has too much fun with this Loki stuff. LOL
I love that .gif. Stop it right now Elizah!!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #719
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love that .gif. Stop it right now Elizah!!
Okay... okay... *sniffle* You don't have to yell...

Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #720
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Oh my God...now I just want to hug him. A grown woman should not be acting like this for the love of Tom...>_<

Old 12-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #721
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh my God...now I just want to hug him. A grown woman should not be acting like this for the love of Tom...>_<
LOL.... I know... I know... *sigh* oh, boy do I ever know....

serious question, (not just posting for the picture. )

I continue to be torn if this is a "oh **** he looks pretty pissed at me" face or if it's him trying to pull a "brother please, help me, metal man and blue guy have been picking on me!" face. I actually think the latter is more likely since he doesn't seem too hesitant to fight Thor generally.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #722
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I think that look seems to indicate how horrified he is with you tempting all the fangirl legions. He knows once he steps foot outside of the Quinjet he is going to be mobbed.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #723
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think that look seems to indicate how horrified he is with you tempting all the fangirl legions. He knows once he steps foot outside of the Quinjet he is going to be mobbed.
Oh I don't know I think Loki would be more like...

Yes, I am, Loki. Yes, I am....

For some reason whenever I see this scene, instead of "Yes", I really want Loki to say "Capiche?"

Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #724
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
LOL.... I know... I know... *sigh* oh, boy do I ever know....

serious question, (not just posting for the picture. )

I continue to be torn if this is a "oh **** he looks pretty pissed at me" face or if it's him trying to pull a "brother please, help me, metal man and blue guy have been picking on me!" face. I actually think the latter is more likely since he doesn't seem too hesitant to fight Thor generally.
But when the storm started, he did say he was not overly fond of what follows.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #725
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

Quote:
Oh I don't know I think Loki would be more like...

Yes, I am, Loki. Yes, I am....

For some reason whenever I see this scene, instead of "Yes", I really want Loki to say "Capiche?"
Oh dear God please no, no. It's bad enough he gets all urban on us every once in awhile. I don't think I could handle him talking like he's on that awful Jersey Shore show. >_<

Anyways, if he's ever on SNL they have to bring back the "Avengers" team that Jeremy Renner had on his episode, doing a parody of the scene with him and Tony where Loki's Army is a bunch of fangirls/boys the Avengers have to face. There's nothing more fearsome than a protective army of infatuated girls and guys that want to keep Loki from harm.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 12-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread