Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 12-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #101
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
And... Now you're over thinking it.

Superman will have the most impressive power level of all.

That is drum roll please.... PLOC

Power Level Of Convenience.

That means if he lifts up a tank, he might show effort in doing so, or if he is going to push a small planet out of its orbit, he will show the same level of effort.

The mysterious power level is a direct result of the cosimic rays from Directors and writers who don't pay attention to, or even give much thought to Superman's power level, so they keep it vague as it needs to be for any given scene to work.

This is similar to scale in Transformers cartoons, this is size on convenience.

Same concept.

This.

Good example from comics would be All-Star Superman:

#1- After supercharge can lift 5 quintillion tons at the lower levels of his power.

#9- Beaten up by standard power Kryptonians.

#11- Struggles to defeat Solaris, with help from S-Robot Army.

#12- Cannot defeat Lex Luthor with standard Kryptonian power level, yet by the end of the issue demonstrates a feat of power greater than any other.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #102
GreenKToo
In the fire

This is how I would like to see it, a little comparison.

He should be able to pick up a car as easily as we do a soda can.

He should be able to lift a tank like we would a chair from our kitchen table.

when he lifts a large ship, like an aircraft carrier, it would be equal to us moving a sofa or loveseat, and he would struggle with it just the same.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 12-16-2012 at 05:49 PM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #103
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
This is how I would like to see it, a little comparison.

He should be able to pick up a car as easily as we do a soda can.

He should be able to lift a tank like we would a chair from our kitchen table.

when he lifts a large ship, like an aircraft carrier, it would be equal to us moving a sofa or loveseat, and he would struggle with it just the same.
And moving a planet would be like when we have an adrenaline rush and lift a car off of someone.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #104
GreenKToo
In the fire

lol yeah. I wouldnt mind him getting a supercharge from the sun for a short burst of really crazy feats...but overall, i'd like his limit to be around 100,000 tonns ( an aircraft carrier ).

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #105
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Yeah. I like his absolute peak to be moving an Earth-sized planet, which still isn't at the level of planet juggling or putting a bunch of planets on a chain and towing them around the universe.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #106
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
lol yeah. I wouldnt mind him getting a supercharge from the sun for a short burst of really crazy feats...but overall, i'd like his limit to be around 100,000 tonns ( an aircraft carrier ).
Perfect!!! This is exactly how I want his strength to play out in MOS.

TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #107
Heat Vision
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Yeah. I like his absolute peak to be moving an Earth-sized planet, which still isn't at the level of planet juggling or putting a bunch of planets on a chain and towing them around the universe.
Indeed, much like his current power levels on comics.

Heat Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #108
TDK elbowstrike

I don't want to see Superman moving planets until a later installment, like JL or MOS 2. Give him something to work towards. I much prefer they portray a strength level of somewhere between 100,000- 400,000 tons.

If he starts of as able to move planets in MOS, he won't need to sundip and amp up in later movies.
Seriously, they should gradually make him stronger every movie he can have an insane strength feat in JL.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #109
Heat Vision
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I don't want to see Superman moving planets until a later installment, like JL or MOS 2. Give him something to work towards. I much prefer they portray a strength level of somewhere between 100,000- 400,000 tons.

If he starts of as able to move planets in MOS, he won't need to sundip and amp up in later movies.
Seriously, they should gradually make him stronger every movie he can have an insane strength feat in JL.
If it's only implied he's capable of planetary level feats, I'll be happy. They don't need to display it.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #110
TDK elbowstrike

I think if this shared universe goes off without a hitch, we will see Supes moving a planet or something.

Imagine if in JL or JL2 the heroes are standing around helpless as earth is about to plummet strait into the sun. People are crying and holding hands and waiting for the inevedible... Until Supes comes along after taking a short sundip and moves earth back into orbit!! The JLA are all watching from the watchtower on the moon like "Holy snit!!! Did u see that? Did you freaking see that!!!???"

Yeah, I can get onboard with something like that.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #111
GreenKToo
In the fire

maybe a sundip in JL could lead up to an all star type superman film. he saves the world in JL but can't turn the supercharge off, and it continues to grow...( of course, I dont wanna see him die or whatever, he would find a way to fix it )

Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #112
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
maybe a sundip in JL could lead up to an all star type superman film. he saves the world in JL but can't turn the supercharge off, and it continues to grow...( of course, I dont wanna see him die or whatever, he would find a way to fix it )
They could combine it with that one story after the Death of Superman where he's absorbing too much solar energy and becomes dangerously strong and can't control his strength as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #113
Heat Vision
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
They could combine it with that one story after the Death of Superman where he's absorbing too much solar energy and becomes dangerously strong and can't control his strength as well.
It could be, even though I wouldn't like to see him turning into that Superhulk.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #114
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Vision View Post
It could be, even though I wouldn't like to see him turning into that Superhulk.

You might not.

I love overpowered.

Faster than time itself.

Able to leap Dimensions in a single bound.

Stronger than a Supermassive Black hole.

SuperHulk shood be so damn overpowered that the ambient energy he gives off makes entire planets move around like the pebbles swirling Pre-flight in the MOS trailer.

Now THAT'S power.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #115
Heat Vision
Side-Kick

Quote:
You might not.

I love overpowered.

Faster than time itself.

Able to leap Dimensions in a single bound.

Stronger than a Supermassive Black hole.

SuperHulk shood be so damn overpowered that the ambient energy he gives off makes entire planets move around like the pebbles swirling Pre-flight in the MOS trailer.

Now THAT'S power.
LOL. You misunderstood me. I love overpowered too; as I've said Superman should be the benchmark for power levels. What I meant was that I didn't want to see him turn into that freaky-monster from that particular story.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #116
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Vision View Post
LOL. You misunderstood me. I love overpowered too; as I've said Superman should be the benchmark for power levels. What I meant was that I didn't want to see him turn into that freaky-monster from that particular story.
I'm very, extra serioustastic about this.

They should even change the movie name to Super-Hulk.

In this case it will be Hulk of Steel.

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #117
Heat Vision
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm very, extra serioustastic about this.

They should even change the movie name to Super-Hulk.

In this case it will be Hulk of Steel.
If it can bring some of the Avengers audience, then I'm all for it!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #118
TDK elbowstrike

I just hope we get the biggest super-brawl ever encountered on the silver screen from a comic book movie ever. I've got my fingers crossed.

Something even better than Hulk vs Abomination in TIH and the Avengers vs Chitauri, which imo were the very best fight scenes of any final fight in a comic book movie.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #119
TheHighlander
The Only One

Power levels should be relative... you raise something relative to the floor, so he should be able to raise anything relative from the earth (flying)...

Superman's power level can and should be INFINITE.... No way to put a limit on it.. Yes god like...

The limit to his power MUST come from the situation... not convenience.... but the situation.

For instance... Superman returns:

The plane... if he flies too fast he could move so much air that he would actually push the plane farther away....

If he stops the plane too fast he can rip it apart.

That is why he struggles... He should struggle to control the power or to know when and how to apply what... That will be far more interesting than adding a limit to his power... Add a limit to his mind and his situation...

He can't run that fast without creating such winds that are ridiculous.. On space he could/should fly at the speed of light, but where there is atmosphere he shouldn't. They should you the Physical Earth limitations to his powers, not because he doesn't have them, but because he can't use them like that... The struggle of his power is what will make an limitless superman so limited.

For instance... he can't change the earth's orbit as his power should be relative to the earth, but lifting anything from the earth could be to a point limitless just by laws of physics. Imagine moving something with the mass of superman at the speed of light... air would just move in such a different direction.. Weather changes, etc. So he has to be mindful of that in order to keep it "real" or "limited".

I would also love to see superman training and actively practicing the use of his powers...

Last edited by TheHighlander; 12-19-2012 at 12:58 AM.
TheHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #120
TDK elbowstrike

I get that some people want a superman in this movie that has no discernable limits to his power, but if he starts of as being able to move planets and such then he won't need to sundip to charge up in later installments. And I for one want to see superman take a quick sundip before moving a planet or something that would be considered a super mega high-end feat.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #121
sf2
Side-Kick

Must be more powerful than all the superheroes on screens.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #122
elgaz
Side-Kick

That's kinda it for me. He's the original, the king daddy of superheroes, and IMO this needs to be conveyed on screen.

I don't want to see some young kid walking out of the movie in June saying that Superman was disappointing because Hulk is stronger than him, or Green Lantern flew faster, or whatever. Superman sets the precendent for all other superheroes.

@Highlander - I don't know if he should have 'infinite' power (I think even Superman needs an upper limit), but I like the idea of more realistic physics being applied to the consequences of Superman's powers. e.g. like Neo in the Matrix flying through the city at the speed of sound and cars flying into the air behind him because of air displacement and turbulence.

Last edited by elgaz; 12-19-2012 at 04:07 AM.
elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #123
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I think if this shared universe goes off without a hitch, we will see Supes moving a planet or something.

Imagine if in JL or JL2 the heroes are standing around helpless as earth is about to plummet strait into the sun. People are crying and holding hands and waiting for the inevedible... Until Supes comes along after taking a short sundip and moves earth back into orbit!! The JLA are all watching from the watchtower on the moon like "Holy snit!!! Did u see that? Did you freaking see that!!!???"

Yeah, I can get onboard with something like that.
I like very much, but with Batman there, Superman's shine will be taken. Something like "Martian Manhunter, Superman lacks conviction. Give me control of his body so I can do what needs to be done."

"But Batman, only someone with 12th level intellect, unlimited willpower and strength of character surpassing Jesus could control someone at that distance!"

"I'm overqualified. Do it".

SIBO - Superman in body only

Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #124
Panthro
Goodbye Mr. Ramis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I like very much, but with Batman there, Superman's shine will be taken. Something like "Martian Manhunter, Superman lacks conviction. Give me control of his body so I can do what needs to be done."

"But Batman, only someone with 12th level intellect, unlimited willpower and strength of character surpassing Jesus could control someone at that distance!"

Wouldn't surprise me.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #125
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

This reminds me that I would like to see the J'onn/Bruce/Clark scene from JLA #41.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote