The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead

Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
spund
Side-Kick

Default Walker smell washes off. Duh...let's never try it again!

Sorry if it's been discussed before...this is my first time on this forum and I just recently got into the show (all caught up now).

Regardless of the logic of the smell, smearing themselves in walker guts apparently does work, and I just don't get why they don't do it ALL THE TIME! The first time in season 1 it only quit working because the rain washed it off....so because of that they just go "duh...it doesn't work, guess we'll never try it again"? Huh???? This has got to be my biggest pet peeve of the whole show, the sheer stupidity of not trying to mask their smell again....I mean jeez, they at least need to be doing it on the missions. It makes absolutely no sense to me!

And then the second time with Michonne...yeah it did quit working, probably because her own blood was mixed in the smell, but it DID work for a while! I'm baffled that the audience is supposed to just believe that the characters are so stupid that they would never try it again.

I realize that the walkers need to be coming after them sometimes for the sake of having an interesting show, but come on, it's just way too much stupidity for them to never ever at least try the gut smearing again. There could be times when they're not smeared (because who wants to have guts on them all the time after all), when they just get surprised by walkers. But they really do need to be at least doing it for the missions. I love the show, but I just think this is one area where the writing needs to be smarter.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Default Re: Walker smell washes off. Duh...let's never try it again!

My guess is that it would be too much trouble. Plus that blood is disease infected, so any type of cut or skin wound might get tainted with walker blood. Also, it would be too much trouble to find a change of clothes or re-wash the clothes they have .

ShredderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Because you risk contracting some kind of horrible disease?

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
spund
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredderX View Post
My guess is that it would be too much trouble. Plus that blood is disease infected, so any type of cut or skin wound might get tainted with walker blood. Also, it would be too much trouble to find a change of clothes or re-wash the clothes they have .
Makes sense, but it makes more sense that they'd risk it in a life or death situation, like the farm attack. Maybe it's just me, but if I was one of them I'd always have my walker gut poncho nearby to throw on in a moment's notice if a herd suddenly showed up.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

I think it's because the risks outweigh the benefits. Even though the show isn't super technical at all (What if walker blood flies in your mouth or eye?), let's be technical for a second. Let's say you had the walker blood all over you and you fell on the ground. If you cut your knee up or broke skin on your hands/elbows, you're going to turn.

That and I don't think I'd want walker blood all over me all the time. Especially not when I am a professional who's been killing zombies on the norm.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Evelisse
Exactly

Maybe not the blood thing, but there is no real good reason they are not making armor, or going back to the riot gear idea, they are in a prison and have the supplies, even in Woodbury the science guy had what looked like duct tape sleeves which looked cool and was Mythbustery. just little reason to make planned outings in tank tops anymore.

Evelisse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Wait a minute, getting walker blood in your system will make you turn? If that's true then there is no way that someone hasn't gotten blood in their eyes/mouth when killing walkers.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
TanneRain
Bane'd User

I think Kirkman and others have said that getting blood in or on you won't make you turn.