Default Re: The Official Kevin Costner IS Pa Kent Thread

Costner speaking at Whitney Houston's funeral......... that is so Jonathan Kent

DIRECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #580
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

What a weird thing to say...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #581
LuvSupes
Side-Kick

That was a really heartfelt tribute, Costner did a great job.

LuvSupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #582
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

It's official I love you Kevin Costner.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #583
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

That was a lovely, heart felt speech

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #584
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Costner is the man

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #585
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Beautiful and heartfelt speech...

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #586
Sundancer
Cynicist

Default Pa Kent

(Since there's no one in the non-spoilers forum...Apologies if this is brought up. I'm trying to keep my spoilers to a minimum)

Did anybody else think it was kind of cold when Costner said "maybe" when Clark said "what was I supposed to do, let him die?"

At the end of the trailer when Supes says that his father didn't believe the world was ready, at first I thought he was referring to Jor-el, but on a second viewing I'm wondering if it's Pa Kent.

Is Clark's dad more cynical in this one (either dad)?

Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #587
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Pa Kent

Apparently so. I don't like the characterization myself.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #588
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

It's definitely Pa Kent Superman is referring to at the end of the trailer. And I'm sure that "maybe" isn't all he says. It could go like "maybe....people are afraid of what they don't understand" or something along those lines

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #589
X Knight
Straight Edge

I think there's going to be more to that conversation than what was shown in the trailer.....

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #590
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Good chance that "maybe" is taken out of context as well as the trailer just cutting it that way.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #591
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Good chance that "maybe" is taken out of context as well as the trailer just cutting it that way.

I certainly hope that is the case because if Pa Kent really tried to instill that sort of callous "Me first" attitude in Clark, it's going to be hard to figure out how his son grew up to be a hero. The scene where young Clark is locked in a room and appears to be panicked made me wonder whether his father had taught him to be afraid of himself and his powers. It will be very disappointing to me if MOS goes down such a dark and cynical path.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #592
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Reading his body language it appears that was a hard thing to say. I still think that he will instil those good old fashion values and morals in Clark. Maybe that's why he helped them to begin with. From the example Pa sets as a father and man. Clark might even say something like, "I only did what was right, exactly how you taught me. It's what you would have done if you could." By which Pa follows could follow up with concern about his powers and being found out and people being afraid and all that. That's what I'd like to think anyway. I honestly don't blame him for being cynical... It's an overly cynical world we live in and this movie is supposed to be set there in. But we'll find out won't we.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

The Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #593
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Well we also don't know if Clark was referring to letting the boy (we assume?) die.

In Smallville, they showed the Kents willing to go through extremes to protect their son. Even at the end of season 1 he chases the reporter into the storm to stop him and had a pretty hard rage in him that most likely would have gone to the point of killing. Could be a similar case here where someone with less than noble intentions is the topic of discussion.

bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #594
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Even if it isn't nearly in the same context or issue, Jonathan's "maybe" in the trailer reminds me of a line in Superman for all Seasons where Jonathan answers Martha's "We brought him up right!" with a "Maybe, we did, Martha, Maybe...". All as Clark secretly overhears.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #595
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoferox View Post
Well we also don't know if Clark was referring to letting the boy (we assume?) die.
s willing to go through extremes to protect their son. Even at the end of season 1 he chases the reporter into the storm to stop him and had a pretty hard rage in him that most likely would have gone to the point of killing. Could be a similar case here where someone with less than noble intentions is the topic of discussion.

It seemed clear to me from the context of the trailer that Clark and Pa were talking about the rescue of that busload of children. Pa: "You have to keep this side of yourself secret." Clark said, "What was I supposed to do? Just let 'em die?" With "'em" referring to more than one person. That conversation is bracketed by scenes of the rescue, the other parent talking about what her son saw, and another image of an adult Clark watching a school bus pass him on the street.

To me it was clear that Pa was advising Clark that if it came down to exposing his powers to save another person's life or letting them die to keep his secret, he should choose to let them die. While it's understandable that the Kents would fear what might happen if Clark' s powers became known, his words were cruel and calculated to make the child fear the world. How is Clark going to develop a desire to use his powers for good if his own father doesn't encourage his compassion and sense of duty towards others?

The elder Kent's words in that scene are in direct contrast to what he said later in the trailer. "You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be, Clark." For me, the question is not what kind of man Clark wanted to be, but what kind of man were the Kents raising him to be. Because the kind of man who would let others die just to keep himself safe isn't the kind of man who will change the world in a positive way. You can't be a hero if you're so afraid for yourself (and of yourself) and for your own safety that you refuse to act.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #596
jacobed
Banned User

It's obvious he says it because he fears losing his child like any good parent would be.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #597
Jaxon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
It's obvious he says it because he fears losing his child like any good parent would be.
...or he has a lead lined torture chamber in his basement. I'm split between which way Snyder will go on this

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #598
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It seemed clear to me from the context of the trailer that Clark and Pa were talking about the rescue of that busload of children. Pa: "You have to keep this side of yourself secret." Clark said, "What was I supposed to do? Just let 'em die?" With "'em" referring to more than one person. That conversation is bracketed by scenes of the rescue, the other parent talking about what her son saw, and another image of an adult Clark watching a school bus pass him on the street.

To me it was clear that Pa was advising Clark that if it came down to exposing his powers to save another person's life or letting them die to keep his secret, he should choose to let them die. While it's understandable that the Kents would fear what might happen if Clark' s powers became known, his words were cruel and calculated to make the child fear the world. How is Clark going to develop a desire to use his powers for good if his own father doesn't encourage his compassion and sense of duty towards others?

The elder Kent's words in that scene are in direct contrast to what he said later in the trailer. "You just have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be, Clark." For me, the question is not what kind of man Clark wanted to be, but what kind of man were the Kents raising him to be. Because the kind of man who would let others die just to keep himself safe isn't the kind of man who will change the world in a positive way. You can't be a hero if you're so afraid for yourself (and of yourself) and for your own safety that you refuse to act.
Well, I would think that based on this statement that was released upon the announcement of Kevin's attachment to the role that there would be something present in the film that involves Pa and Ma Kent instilling the good virtues that help shape the good person that Clark grows up to be; unless Snyder was really pulling everyone's chains by saying this:

Quote:
“Jonathan Kent is the only father figure Clark has ever had, the man who was there to help Clark understand what he was meant to do in the world as Superman. Kevin will be able to communicate the quiet strength of this rural American man who raised the greatest superhero of all time.”

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #599
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

*bump*

Not a huge fan of what I'm hearing about Jonathan in this. I thought they were breaking from the past.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #600
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
*bump*

Not a huge fan of what I'm hearing about Jonathan in this. I thought they were breaking from the past.
In a way they are, if it's true. Everything in this story they're trying to tell has to affect Clark and his journey directly. Think of Peter Jackson's LOTR formula:

Quote:
The spine of our movies is Frodo carrying the ring to Mordor.
Translation:

Quote:
The spine of Man of Steel is Clark Kent becoming Superman.

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote