The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

I feel Brainiac should be the villain for #3 but don't know who should be the villain for the second movie.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Smallville 13 I think you have a point about Brainiac. He could definitely come across as a been there done that situation. If MOS is to get a sequel he might be better off been left for a reboot ala The Amazing Spiderman a few years after the 3rd film.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I think there is plenty enough that is unique about Brainiac that the filmmakers could come up with a creative, original story. Smallville 13 says "oh, no Brainiac because the ship hovering over a city thing has been done before" and because of that one small thing we throw out one of Supes greatest villains?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #29
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I think there is plenty enough that is unique about Brainiac that the filmmakers could come up with a creative, original story. Smallville 13 says "oh, no Brainiac because the ship hovering over a city thing has been done before" and because of that one small thing we throw out one of Supes greatest villains?
I agree. What kind of Brainiac do we want though? Colu Collector or Kryptonian AI? And what kind of story would we want? He'll have a ship that he'll use to attack Metropolis and perhaps a robot army? It's just it could be very samey to what even MOS is doing. I'm not saying it can't be done.

I was hoping my post would incite some discussion regarding Superman's role in conflict overseas, not a Brainiac debate. But like I said most people here really want Brainiac for MOS2.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #30
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I'm all for going against the traditional sequel formula and having actually 3 villains for the second movie.

For the sequel I would like to see Lex come at Supes via the media and not directly as his "villain" but setup for what will come in a third film. I want Lex to somehow come across Brainiac and together they build Metallo as a prototype body for a damaged Brainiac. Metallo is a combination of a human brain/synaps and brainiac kryptonian technology. Metallo is controlled by Lex and Brainiac.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

The sequel to MOS should have Earth based villains,the story itself should establish Superman as a protector of world.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #32
Marvin
Side-Kick

All TDKR did in terms of definitive end's is establish that all bruce wayne really did for gotham was battle the ideals of ra's and stop joker once. Before hanging it up again.

very strange for a definitive stamp on batman.
I hope they don't do that with superman.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #33
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I'd like to see what the writing powers that be cook up for Metallo or Parasite. But yeah, I want Brainiac and Lex next.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The sequel to MOS should have Earth based villains,the story itself should establish Superman as a protector of world.

Also on the whole 'bottling Metropolis' and how 'cool' that will look on film. Let's not forget that in MOS an anti-gravity beam is gonna be shot right into Metropolis and buildings, traffic, debris and people will all be sent flying upwards. I think I can tell out of them which is the stronger visual.

That leads to the thinking that somehow they'll have to outdo themselves with that for the sequel, but I don't think so. The 3rd act of Batman Begins with the train/microwave emitter/fear gas was far more farfetched and outlandish and had far more at stake than the boats in TDK.

I would like to see them deal with the fallout of MOS in the sequel. Superman will be the last Kryptonian left standing after Zod and co is killed or imprisoned in the Phantom Zone. So where does he go from here. Does he just disappear. No he will try and help Earth with our own issues. Will the Earth just accept him. They could go even more real-world with MOS2 having him try and solve poverty and religious wars, before learning that it's best to leave Earth to solve it's own problems (unless lives are in danger). Similar to how TDK had a much more real-world tone than BB. And then diving back into the sci-fi for MOS3.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

After thinking about it, Luthor should be the villain for a MOS sequel. I feel it would be redundant to have the first movie being Zod trying to control and conquer the world, and then have the sequel being Brainiac trying to conquer / gain knowledge of the world. I think Brainiac should be saved for a final MOS film. I agree with the above posts, that the next film should be earth based.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

The can't end Superman, he never dies... I hope the end of the trilogy show us seeing Clark watch the end of the world, when the sun engulfs earth.

I N T E R S T E L L A R
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #37
Binker
Side-Kick

I would want Lex Luthor and Brainiac to be in MOS2 and finally be in a Superman film period. Luthor would work as he could fit the plot for MOS2 for whatever role he is (President, scientist for hire, etc.). And Brainiac; well, when MOS was first brought up, tying into Nolan producing making the news, the villains were said to be Luthor and Brainiac until the announcement of Zod seem to debunk that. Later on though, it was rumored that Brainiac will be either seen, mentioned, or hinted as the reason for Krypton being destroyed. We don't know if its true or in the final product. Though, if he isn't in MOS but in MOS2, then I can imagine that Luthor creating Brainiac and Earth being hit from within would sound like how they would approach Brainiac. But/plus, after Zod's alien invasion, they would need something different as not to repeat what they did.

Either way, both characters would work for MOS2. But an alternate idea would be to have Luthor in MOS2 and Brainiac for MOS3, and the other villains in MOS2 would be Earth's countermeasures against Superman, which in turn is/akin to the Superman Revenge Squad (Metallo, Parasite, Bizarro maybe etc.) which could double as Luthor's secret plan to BE Superman himself (like his story in 52).

The thing is, Nolan(s)/Goyer don't always use one version but combine nearly every version and sprinkle them onto how the character is to be handled in their story.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Does anyone else kind of hope Intergang plays a part in later movies?

I just think it'd provide a lot of interesting story possibilites, and although I love the sci-fi aspects as well, I really wanna see see Supes fighting the problems we have here at home - Lex Luthor and Intergang have always been the personification of corruption, organised crime, greed, injustice etc.

Not to mention Mannheim's links to Darkseid

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
The can't end Superman, he never dies... I hope the end of the trilogy show us seeing Clark watch the end of the world, when the sun engulfs earth.
I can't imagine a worse ending for a Superman story.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
I'm all for going against the traditional sequel formula and having actually 3 villains for the second movie.

For the sequel I would like to see Lex come at Supes via the media and not directly as his "villain" but setup for what will come in a third film. I want Lex to somehow come across Brainiac and together they build Metallo as a prototype body for a damaged Brainiac. Metallo is a combination of a human brain/synaps and brainiac kryptonian technology. Metallo is controlled by Lex and Brainiac.
It's really tough to get three villains to work, plus it reduces one's villain options when the third movie is made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
All TDKR did in terms of definitive end's is establish that all bruce wayne really did for gotham was battle the ideals of ra's and stop joker once. Before hanging it up again.

very strange for a definitive stamp on batman.
I hope they don't do that with superman.
Well Batman did save Gotham from total destruction twice, so there's that.

Quote:
Why does this idea have so many fans? I can't imagine how pissed off an audience would be to see this as the ending to a trilogy.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #41
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post

Well Batman did save Gotham from total destruction twice, so there's that.
That's quite the legacy.
Time to retire, very fitting of the most driven superhero in comicdom.

All spidey has to do is save new york one more time and he can also cash in that pension.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Thats why the All Star Superman ending is perfect because its ambigious, it leaves it up to the reader.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #43
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Maybe some of you should watch The Man of Steel first before deciding what a sequel may or may not need.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Maybe some of you should watch The Man of Steel first before deciding what a sequel may or may not need.
We need something to talk about lol

And I think no ones certain of a sequel but we can speculate.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
That's quite the legacy.

All spidey has to do is save new york one more time and he can also cash in that pension.

So true

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 12-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #46
Zatanna
Mistress of Magic

Quote:
Um... no. That would the worst ending to any trilogy ever.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Il_Siciliano
The Nembo Kid Mafia

I dunno - I think Lex might not be such a good idea.

The Dark Knight Trilogy sequence was good, introduce the Bats' most iconic villain in the epilogue to Batman Begins (when Gordon shows Batman the joker card), then dedicate an entire film to him as the sequel. That works because (a) you introduce the cool villain at a point where you already defined the hero in the previous movie, that way you can devote more time to the villain and his psychology, and (b) the Joker is a brilliant cinematic character.

Luthor? Not so much. I love Lex Luthor because I'm a big Superman fan. But I also admit that he's just not that cinematic. He hasn't got the Joker's weirdness and flare, he doesn't have the freakish appearance of Two-Face and legions of other Batman rogues, he doesn't have the sex appeal of Catwoman or the hulkishness of Bane (who it turns out isn't that cinematic of a character either).

Basically I think that there's not too much you can do to make Lex Luthor interesting to the wider public as the main villain. He'd always need to be in a movie with another foe, someone more interesting or at least visually striking.

Fact is, Superman doesn't have a great rogues gallery, and these would be hard to translate to a great movie villain. We love Zod, but Zod was mainly made cool by Terence Stamp, but the villain himself isn't anywhere close to being as interesting as any number of minor Batman villains. Same with Braniac. I love the guy but I think he'd make audiences groan. His name is way too dumb for a 21st century audience. Doomsday? Basically a derivative CGI creature, same goes for Bizarro. Best not even mention Toyman or I dunno, Conduit. Darkseid is the only great villain you have there, but he's being used for Justice League, apparently.

So basically I think just make someone up to be the villain in the sequel.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #48
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il_Siciliano View Post
Basically I think that there's not too much you can do to make Lex Luthor interesting to the wider public as the main villain.
Why is he all of a sudden not interesting enough now? He's done fine the last 70 years. How do you think he ended up being Superman's arch enemy in the first place?

Superman has a great Rogues Gallery too. But, using your logic that Terrence Stamp is the only reason Zod is cool, why can't the movie version just awesome up whatever villain they use next?

Last edited by HighFivingMF; 12-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #49
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
It's really tough to get three villains to work, plus it reduces one's villain options when the third movie is made.
As the last poster said Superman has a great rogues gallery.

I think the sequel could be Lex and Brainiac and Metallo. Lex is the behind the scenes villain and is setup for a bigger clash with Supes in MoS3. However, he "attacks" Supes through the media and through anti-alien politics.

Lex discovers Brainianc after doing some research and recovering of kryptonian wreckage left over from the battle between Superman, Zod & Faora.

Lex learns from Brainiac the destruction of Krypton and how to kill Superman....kryptonite. However, in exchange for promising to make Lex the most powerful person in the world through technology, knowledge, and power Lex must build a construct/body for Brainiac to be powerful again. Thus, he builds Metallo.

Metallo is combination of cybernetic parts and a human/soldier in peak performance that was killed during either a foreign war or battle in metropolis. Lex has a secret agenda to use cybernetics to show the world that people can achieve super soldier like abilities and possibly cheat death and not depend on superman to save them.

Metallo fights superman powered by a kryptonite. Superman is not aware of the kryptonite's effects on him, but is made aware that something on Zod's ship caused him similar effects of weakness & pain. Metallo almost defeats Superman in their fight, but Supes wins.

In MoS3 Lex becomes a greater threat having a built a suit of power learning from his mistake in creating Metallo. He takes things into his own hands. However Brainiac controls the suit and kills Lex and takes over his body, or the become one.

Or in Mos3 Lex leads a cloning cadmus project and creates Doomsday, by using some of Superman's dan from which he recovered from the battle in MoS1. Or Lex discovers Doomsday was a planned weapon of mass destruction created by Zod and his army or Kryptonian military to against other alien planets or on their own planet against enemies because kryptonians did not have superpowers on their home world.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #50
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
That's quite the legacy.

Nolan's Batman was from the very start never intending to do it forever. That's also clear throughout the whole trilogy.

It's a very different approach to the character and I guess you either love or hate it. But from the context of Nolan's Batman, the ending to TDKR was very fitting.

Closed Thread