The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #76
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
is LUTHOR a good read

i bought it months ago but never got around to reading it?
Yeah, man. Definitely.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #77
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

My issue isn't really about the time displacement in the bat saga, that fact just makes my final issue all the more annoying. Either way I can see a world where batman quits. I've seen it a few times. Maybe the best one I've ever seen was in the pilot for Batman Beyond.

I take that situation, and I take into account all Bruce has been through till that point(many many episodes) and the harsh realization that he really can't get out there any more(that's no enough), and the moral defeat that he needed a gun in hand...I see him putting the mission to rest(again for a while, the mission has to end when he dies though). What Nolan did was what he's been doing from the start, diminishing everything to the point where it's just batman in name only. Granted its still entertaining and it has it's own logic. But for someone like me, it just isn't my cup of tea.
I blame Morrison's JLA run for this.

I love that he's in Italy somewhere sipping tea while there's a possibility that some other kid's parents are no doubt being shot down on any given night.
-Gotham's a safe different city now
-He's left someone else to fight the good fight now
Right....If anything, the city believing Batman is dead is just going to make matters worse. Pick up a comic book.

Superman has retired as well. Again, it has to stem from a moral defeat. This defeat is what allowed me to get over the 8 year break in TDKR. With superman it was Kingdom Come. Of course he comes back.

As for Lex. I can understand where Il_Siciliano is coming from. The problem is that you're looking at what's come before, and possibly what you've read. There is nothing stopping a writer from taking the Luthor character beyond any of that and into extremely cinematic territory. I for one would simply look to All Star Lex and mix that with Brithright lex(change smallville to some other small town) and I'd be satisfied. The secret weapon of Nolan's joker was his 3 steps ahead brain capacity. That sort of crap would have just as big an impact to the superman audience.
The moral complexity of Bill the Butcher is not beyond Lex, trust me he think's he's doing right by he fellow man and he also is confused about entitlement.

Still I personally don't see a movie lex working without another villain.

Red Sun had a interesting take on the character. He essentially is a hero of man.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #78
Marvin
Side-Kick

My issue with brian azzarello's writing(style)

Is that it's almost never present. You'll have superman fighting 4 big villains with strong personal ties to the character and batman right there shoving a knife in his back and lois falling from a building and the only dialogue throughout the entire situation, the entire $5 dollar issue is this thought bubble diatribe about what it means to be a good friend.

argh.
Drive's me nuts.

Morrison had Superman fight an arch angel once, it was great...Azzarello probably has fantasy's about the thought bubble's he could have lectured us with.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #79
GreenKToo
In the fire

I think Lex along with parasite would work in a sequel. Have him be just some poor dumb smuck that works for Lex, he snoops around a top secret area in Lexcorp after closing, and gets into the chemicals that transforms him into parasite.
Lex would tell him that he would cure him but he must work for him in the meantime.

I would prefer Brainiac tho.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #80
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I'd actually prefer Brainiac to be the final villain in the trilogy, I think the combination of Luthor and Parasite in the sequel would be perfect.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #81
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I dunno, I think I'd prefer Metallo in that equation then. He'd work better with the "realistic" tone they're setting up and they'd be able to introduce kryptonite as well.

The creation / explanation for Parasite could easily become silly. I'd almost rather want Bizarro then. Or a combination of the two.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #82
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I dunno, I think I'd prefer Metallo in that equation then. He'd work better with the "realistic" tone they're setting up and they'd be able to introduce kryptonite as well.

The creation / explanation for Parasite could easily become silly. I'd almost rather want Bizarro then. Or a combination of the two.
I disagree on that Parasite would just as easily fit into a realistic world as much as Mettallo. Ones a machine, ones genetically enhanced.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #83
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I disagree on that Parasite would just as easily fit into a realistic world as much as Mettallo. Ones a machine, ones genetically enhanced.
But the part about being able to absorb the abilities from everything he touches not so much. At least building an advanced machine isnt as far-fectced.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #84
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
But the part about being able to absorb the abilities from everything he touches not so much. At least building an advanced machine isnt as far-fectced.
I don't really think it is more ridiculous tbh, I get your point though. I just hope we get a sequel lol

Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #85
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I don't really think it is more ridiculous tbh, I get your point though. I just hope we get a sequel lol
I just want a definitive Superman saga. lol, i'm just asking for three good films. That's all

Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #86
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Oh, we will, I'm sure. If not, I'll lose my remaining faith in the powers that be.

I guess Metallo and Parasite both have advantages and disadvantages in being included in the MOS-universe. But in the end I guess they'd go with the one who has the biggest potential visually and action-wise, since Lex is the main baddie, the one with most of the story.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #87
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Oh, we will, I'm sure. If not, I'll lose my remaining faith in the powers that be.

I guess Metallo and Parasite both have advantages and disadvantages in being included in the MOS-universe. But in the end I guess they'd go with the one who has the biggest potential visually and action-wise, since Lex is the main baddie, the one with all the story.
Yeah I just hope whoever they pick is perfect for the story. So many people were annoyed that we were getting Zod yet the more we've found out about this movie the more Zod makes sense. I've always said I am happy as long as they pick the right villain to make the film the best it can be.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #88
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Yeah I just hope whoever they pick is perfect for the story. So many people were annoyed that we were getting Zod yet the more we've found out about this movie the more Zod makes sense. I've always said I am happy as long as they pick the right villain to make the film the best it can be.
Can only agree. They should pick whoever best helps the story along first and foremost, rather than the one who explodes the best.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #89
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Can only agree. They should pick whoever best helps the story along first and foremost, rather than the one who explodes the best.
Ha ha I definitely think we'll get Lex in the sequel it's just a case of who we'll get alongside him.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #90
Zionite1
Side-Kick

If Lex is the villain in a sequel,he obviously needs some serious underling power.Mettallo alone wont cut it especially when compared to MOS .If you must go with Lex I insist that Lex has the Anti-Superman army under him.The foes in the sequel must be more threatenig than the first.

I need to piont out that if they choose to have Braniac in a sequel,It doesnt have to be a rehash of Zods invasion.It all depends on the writing.
Zods invasion is an invasion of military might,Braniac cld be an invsion using mental might.For example we cld have Braniac taking control of all the worlds technology and mindcontrollig humans.That right there is a different invasion from Zod.

Sure Braniac use his Robot army in a sequel as that wld feel like a Zod rehash.In that case Braniac shld utilize Alien creatures in his collection as his army instead.You cld even have Doomsday in that collection.

Piont is a Branaic invasion can be handled very differently from a Zod invasion and imo a lot more scarier.

Last edited by Zionite1; 12-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #91
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I think Parasite being created by Lex and growing bigger, stronger and less human with every blow would be pretty neat.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #92
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
If Lex is the villain in a sequel,he obviously needs some serious underling power.Mettallo alone wont cut it especially when compared to MOS .If you must go with Lex I insist that Lex has the Anti-Superman army under him.The foes in the sequel must be more threatenig than the first.

I need to piont out that if they choose to have Braniac in a sequel,It doesnt have to be a rehash of Zods invasion.It all depends on the writing.
Zods invasion is an invasion of military might,Braniac cld be an invsion using mental might.For example we cld have Braniac taking control of all the worlds technology and mindcontrollig humans.That right there is a different invasion from Zod.

Sure Zod is likely to use Alien robots in Mos so Branic using tem in MOS 2 will feel like a rehash.In that case Mos 2 shld utilize Alien creatures in Braniacs collection as his army istead.You cld even have Doomsday in that collection.

Piont is a Branaic invasion can be handled very differently from a Zod invasion and imo a lot more scarier.
Exactly. Someone with the omniscient power like Brainiac would probably use our own technology against us first and foremost to save his own resources. If we do get Brainiac as the last villain in MOS3 I imagine a remote and gradual invasion/take-over where he'll turn our own computers against us or wipe it all out with a global EMP. It should definitely be done intelligently (logically) when looking at this particular villain rather than a head-on drone-invasion. Although that'd look great too.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #93
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I think Parasite being created by Lex and growing bigger, stronger and less human with every blow would be pretty neat.
Same here, I loved what they did with him in Earth One vol. 2

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #94
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I just think that could (visually) come off as quite cheesy, him becoming bigger and stronger. Like something you'd see in campy tv-show.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #95
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
I just think that could (visually) come off as quite cheesy, him becoming bigger and stronger. Like something you'd see in campy tv-show.
Well he doesn't have to get bigger or even be purple. He could just get stronger.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #96
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Would you guys be upset if the next villains are a combination of Luthor, Project Cadmus and having an amalgamation of Superboy and Bizzaro?

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #97
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly. Someone with the omniscient power like Brainiac would probably use our own technology against us first and foremost to save his own resources. If we do get Brainiac as the last villain in MOS3 I imagine a remote and gradual invasion/take-over where he'll turn our own computers against us or wipe it all out with a global EMP. It should definitely be done intelligently (logically) when looking at this particular villain rather than a head-on drone-invasion. Although that'd look great too.
Exactly.Branaiccan be done differently from Zod.

I perssonally find the Lex/Metallo or Lex/Parasite as poor villains for a sequel-a step down from facing Zod/Faora/Drones/Robot army.If we must have Lex it must be a Lex/Anti-superman army combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Would you guys be upset if the next villains are a combination of Luthor, Project Cadmus and having an amalgamation of Superboy and Bizzaro?
Luthor/Cadmus combo cld work.I see no reson why Superboy and Bizrro shld be amalgamated to one villain.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #98
Zionite1
Side-Kick

edit^

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #99
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Maybe. Care to elaborate on Superboyzzaro?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #100
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I'd honestly love to see Superman fight a clone of himself. That was originally the intention of Superman IV, but we all know how that turned out.

Closed Thread