The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League Parts One & Two

View Poll Results: GL & Flash pairing
Hal & Barry 37 49.33%
John & Wally 38 50.67%
A different GL or Flash 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #601
Edguy
Banned User

Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace1 View Post
Yes,the music in the show on average is better then justice league season 1 & 2 intro.
Yeah, NO.

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #602
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
I still reallly hope they use Wally. Although I know that's pretty much a no go at this point
I'd like to see the hand-off from Barry to Wally. That's the main reason that I want Barry first then kill him off in favor of introducing Wally later on. I want a similar hand-off to happen with Hal and John too.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #603
Edguy
Banned User

Introduce Hal and Barry, kill off Barry and make Hal have space duty. Then John and Wally can kick it on earth with the JL

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #604
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
Introduce Hal and Barry, kill off Barry and make Hal have space duty. Then John and Wally can kick it on earth with the JL
Works for me. I don't mind John in the Justice League, I just want it to start with Hal.

DChero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #605
brainchild81
Arachnid-Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
I'd like to see the hand-off from Barry to Wally. That's the main reason that I want Barry first then kill him off in favor of introducing Wally later on. I want a similar hand-off to happen with Hal and John too.
I've got no problem w/them killing off Hal. The sooner the better tho

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
brainchild81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #606
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I'm really surprised people seem more ok with John Blake over Bruce Wayne than ok with Wally over Barry or John Stewart over Hal Jordan.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #607
Edguy
Banned User

^ Nolan's groupies

Old 12-23-2012, 04:56 AM   #608
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

To be honest..i think they should Wally West,John Stewart and John Blake in the Justice League Film

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #609
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I'm really surprised people seem more ok with John Blake over Bruce Wayne than ok with Wally over Barry or John Stewart over Hal Jordan.
Because the progression of the torch-passing was handled well. To get to Wally right away without making any major alterations is pretty much introducing Barry in the first movie just to have him killed for Wally. Which is dumb. Unless you make it so Wally is the first Flash, but if you're changing things why not just make Barry act a little more like Wally? I'm sure everyone would be OK with Barry passing the torch to Wally if there was a natural progression to him over a few movies.

And less people want John Stewart because he's the least interesting one.

And John Blake, John Stewart, and John Jones would be a bit much.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #610
Sub-Zero
Ice Cold

why kill any of the leaguers? doesn't make sense. based on the current comics, the "questionable" identities are:
batman is bruce wayne
green lantern is hal jordan
flash is barry allen
the only issue with the new 52 line up is cyborg, who should be a titan, not a justice leaguer. replace him with martian manhunter and we're good.
the silver age was when dc became relevant again. if they pasd the torch or something do it in the solo movies. didn't the new 52 start 5 years in the past? why not just do that with the movie JL?

Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #611
HighFivingMF
Welp.

I actually like the idea of Cyborg being a Leaguer and a Titan. Like after the first Justice League movie he could split off and start Teen Titans. Then Martian Manhunter could take his vacant spot in Justice League 2.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #612
brainchild81
Arachnid-Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Quote:
^ Nolan's groupies
Ditto. I didn't like John Blake or TDKR. Bruce Wayne is the most popular member of the JL for good reason. A JL w/out him just ain't right. WB's made some dumbass calls, but I doubt they'd have anyone other than Bruce in the suit. I'm pretty sure the Batfanboys would be pissed too. I'm not spending a dime on it unless Bruce & John Stewart are in it.

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 12-24-2012 at 10:58 AM.
brainchild81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 AM   #613
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, NO.
The show has some really good music.
The justice intro does not match the scene for example when they were at ancient space tower had to retreat,while fighting the red lanterns.
There are other great examples of music.
Anyway let me leave this topic alone and stick to the main topic of this thread.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #614
mace1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
John must not die.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #615
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Thought I'd revive this since it's discussion kind of sort of took off in the ither thread. I'm curious to see what other people think about this in the context of a Nolan movie. Which combo would he do better with?

I'm sure he could do decently with either but I'm thinking Hal and Barry are frontrunners for the kind of movie JL will likely turn out to be.

Especially for the 'big 5' lineup possibility.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #616
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think it's not a bad idea to have Barry and Hal start off and as the JL movies progress, you have Hal pass the torch to John while Barry passes it onto Wally.

Flash gets a solo movie with Barry in the midst of this Justice League business but Hal's Green Lantern stays exclusive to the team-ups. That way when Hal dies or is sent on a different mission, enter John Stewart: you could finally do another Green Lantern movie again but it will follow John's first adventures.

They can kill off Barry in a dramatic fashion and hand it over to the younger Wally West. I wouldn't give this version his own solo movie though.

Just brainstorming but my first preference is to mix it up a bit for the Nolan/Bale Justice League. Have John Stewart played by an up & coming African-American actor who's in his 20's. And Barry Allen, also played by an up & comer. That's of course if they can't get Gosling.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #617
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Why not Barry Allen and John Stewart?

Ideally:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Martian Manhunter
Aquaman (or Hawkgirl, hey it could work)

But I'm okay with, and this could work just as well (at least), and is my second choice for the lineup, but first with the disastrous GL movie in mind:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Martian Manhunter
Aquaman (and again, or Hawkgirl, hey it could work)

I mean I prefer Hal as GL but after the catastrophe that was the GL movie it seems unlikely to me that we'll see him again for a while. So why not give John Stewart a try? And that also simultaneously solves the lack of "racial diversity" on the team. I think John Stewart is a good choice.

Now, just because they ****ed up with GL, DOESN'T mean we have to go and **** all over The Flash now too and put Kid Flash (Wally West) in there. There is absolutely no reason why Barry Allen can't be used as The Flash regardless of whoever is Green Lantern.

He is the greatest Flash. He has been in every incarnation of The Flash. The new series is fantastic. He makes the most sense from a marketing and logical standpoint in that he is the most self contained of the Flashes and his story does not rely on that of a previously existing Flash or his mythology in order to have his story told. Everything in the modern Flash universe as people think of him (not talking about Jay because, let's face it - nobody thinks of a maskless guy who wears a World War 1 helmet, blue, and buccaneer boots as The Flash. At all - besides, there's no "lightning" in Jay's story unless you count the upside down Shazam symbol he wears. The Flash and lightning are practically synonymous), it all trickles down from Barry Allen. His story would need to be told first (in some form at least), regardless of who is used.

Because honestly, this is how the general, non "die hard Flash fan" public (that's 99.9% of people) feel about The Flash: The Flash = "funny guy who runs fast". And truthfully, in every incarnation, that's who he has been to one extent or another. A sort of "everyman". Barry Allen and Wally West are not that different from each other. In fact, the last 10 or so years toward the end of Wally's run he practically was Barry Allen in all but name only (police job/secret identity, reporter gf/wife, the Rogues, Reverse Flash, time travel, the twins, etc). Then they tried doing the same with Bart.

Even on the JL/JLU show, they used Barry Allen's story and world but just had their Flash's secret identity be "Wally West" (simply because Wally was headlining the comic book title at the point and time of the television show). Which, for the reasons I stated above, is most likely what would happen regardless of what they called The Flash in his "secret identity/alter ego" (Jay, Barry, Wally, Bart, John Fox, etc) in the movie, so with that in mind, WHY NOT just use the "real" guy? Just use Barry Allen. They still have a chance to get The Flash right. Just because they ****ed up with GL doesn't mean to close the door on The Flash as though there were a failed Barry Allen film like the GL and not do him justice.

There is only one choice where I am standing. And that is Barry Allen. Make it so, WB! Don't let me down, don't disappoint us. The potential there is so great. Make a great movie, then do a Flash trilogy, end part 3 with Barry "passing the mantle on" if you feel the need, after you've used him to his fullest potential and made people care about The Flash character through Barry Allen. Don't John Blakeman us and start with Wally West (and I'm not ripping of TDKR's ending because this was my idea for a Flash series for years, before Nolan, before TDKR, and it fits the comics unlike Blakeman Begins at the end of TDKR ).

No need to kill Barry Allen/The Flash off in the JL movie, either. (That was one of the biggest problems with the JLM script, they had a young 20-something guy (Adam Brody) cast as The Flash who they could have had a potential series with, yet they kill him in the last 10 min of the film, only to replace him with an even YOUNGER actor (17 something, and it was a very, very young pre Star Trek Anton Yelchin), that was stupid) Even with how they wrote The Flash character in that script, Barry Allen would no doubt have emerged as the favorite/most popular character from that movie. He was definitely the best written to say the least (sans the ending of course), they kept the "fun" in being The Flash with the right balance of "seriousness", pretty much what I'd like to see for the movie (and for Flash, it actually works). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is an all around stupid idea to kill The Flash, particularly when there is no need to since they're just starting out (killing The Flash only to have someone else be The Flash or another Flash is pointless and stupid). You write yourself into a corner that way. If anything at all, do it at the series very end, but do it smart.

(And keep Barry for the solo movie too, obviously. Wally West cannot carry his own solo movie without there being a Barry Allen anyway, another reason why the only time Wally West has been used as The Flash in non comic book media is when they don't have to go into his back story much (i.e. he can just be a "guy who runs fast", so they can call him whoever they want because it doesn't matter), and in the episodes of JL/JLU that were Flash centric, they would always use Barry Allen's story elements, as I pointed out - there is a reason for that, just saying)

Barry Allen and John Stewart for The Flash and Green Lantern in JLA!!!

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 03-10-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #618
shauner111
Side-Kick

^Great post! I'm on the John Stewart-Barry Allen support train. And it's a very small train at the moment lol. But it works perfectly. There's no reason not to do it.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #619
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

If you're going to fuse characters like what was done on JLU, I'd rather you apply another origin to a character (Bart Allen with Barry's origin), than apply a personality to a name (JLU's Wally West with Bart's personality).

That way characters are truer to their source material, but in any case, it's just not the "big 5" if they don't use Hal & Barry.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #620
JPC4
Side-Kick

Can't do it. Rarely do I ever post (just lurk). And although Kevin Smith does make a well thought out case for Stewart and Allen, I need Hal and Barry. Sorry. I'm a GL die-hard and Hal is the only Lantern that I really care about. So yes, I am beyond biased. But truthfully I want WB to get JL right. And to do so, I think the Hal-Barry dynamic is just as crucial as the DC Trinity.

So even if WB firebombed the Green Lantern movie (which literally crushed me), I still want them to use Hal. Hell, people on here are just as passionate about WB finding a way to bring Bale back as Batman. So if they can fix that,then they might as well fix Hal too.

JPC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #621
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC4 View Post
Can't do it. Rarely do I ever post (just lurk). And although Kevin Smith does make a well thought out case for Stewart and Allen, I need Hal and Barry. Sorry. I'm a GL die-hard and Hal is the only Lantern that I really care about. So yes, I am beyond biased. But truthfully I want WB to get JL right. And to do so, I think the Hal-Barry dynamic is just as crucial as the DC Trinity.

So even if WB firebombed the Green Lantern movie (which literally crushed me), I still want them to use Hal. Hell, people on here are just as passionate about WB finding a way to bring Bale back as Batman. So if they can fix that,then they might as well fix Hal too.
Reboot, rework, recast Hal then fine but WB has a good reason to scrap him too and throw John Stewart in there.

Barry Allen is a must. I wouldn't be able to take that role seriously if it was Wally West.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #622
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

What's wrong with Wally West?

EDIT- Please don't cite JL(U).

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #623
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
What's wrong with Wally West?

EDIT- Please don't cite JL(U).
Nothing inherently "wrong" with him, he is just wrong for JLA and The Flash film. Particularly the first films in general. His very presence doesn't require just a simple explanation like "well there's more than one Green Lantern" like subbing Stewart for Jordan. There was always more than ONE Green Lantern from the very start (not talking about Alan Scott), it's one of the mainstays GL was founded on. The Flash on the other hand was created with the intention that there is only ONE Flash. There's no "Flash Corps", they do not need a Flash Corps, there doesn't need to be twin Flashes or several Flashes running around (from the same dimension (and timeline/era at least)). That's stupid and unnecessary, it defeats the purpose. It also takes away from The Flash's uniqueness and his place in the DCU; this guy got his powers from an unrepeatable one-in-a-million accident, it pushes plausibility that it even happened once, but to say it happened twice, that loses all believability, IMO. It was a hard sell for even in the comic books, and that's comic books. This is movies we're talking about, a much, much harder sell. And unlike Avengers (what with the aliens and all), DC hasn't even created anything to build on to introduce the more "silly" or "fantastic" or even "implausible" elements of their Universe yet (re: Iron Man, Agent Coulson, Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D, etc). But when they do it will be something that has to be done gradually like they did with Iron Man. The first Iron Man he is in Afghanistan, it's very real world grounded. By the time we get to Iron Man 3 there's been Avengers, aliens, "magic", etc, and the audience is ready to buy it and make the jump, but that's only because they were inched just a little bit closer bit by bit with each Marvel (or even Iron Man) movie. They'd have never bought or believed it if they were hit with it all at once right from the get go.

The only way you get two Flashes, especially two at the same time or back to back (a 1000 year gap MAY be acceptable...maybe) is that they get super speed in different ways. Which if you do that you're going to get a lot of hyperbole from people who are like "Damn, you can get super speed almost any way! Nothing special about that. Any freak accident = super speed in a DC comic film!" It's just an all around bad idea. Like I said, The Flash is one of the few DC characters to have superpowers from an accident, that has always been a mainstay of the character, something they founded his creation on like how GL has the GL Corps, that it was a freak one-in-a-million unrepeatable chance - in fact, The Flash is the only MAJOR DC character out of the big 7 to have his powers from an accident. How would it seem if you had multiple guys walking around with radioactive spider bites? That'd just be kind of stupid. And I'm not knocking Wally West because I like him as Kid Flash and there's a great idea for a Teen Titans movie but for the foreseeable, immediate future, Wally West has no place in the DC movie universe, certainly not in the initial Flash film and JLA. Even if he showed up he'd be in his damn teens (otherwise you'd have to make Barry Allen really old, like Jay Garrick), and nobody wants to see that. I would not buy him as The Flash or take him seriously as a respectable superhero holding his own with the JLA. No, they need THE Flash for these movies.

Create the language, then define the vocabulary.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 03-10-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #624
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Why not Barry Allen and John Stewart?

Ideally:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Martian Manhunter
Aquaman (or Hawkgirl, hey it could work)

But I'm okay with, and this could work just as well (at least), and is my second choice for the lineup, but first with the disastrous GL movie in mind:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
The Flash (Barry Allen)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Martian Manhunter
Aquaman (and again, or Hawkgirl, hey it could work)

I mean I prefer Hal as GL but after the catastrophe that was the GL movie it seems unlikely to me that we'll see him again for a while. So why not give John Stewart a try? And that also simultaneously solves the lack of "racial diversity" on the team. I think John Stewart is a good choice.

Now, just because they ****ed up with GL, DOESN'T mean we have to go and **** all over The Flash now too and put Kid Flash (Wally West) in there. There is absolutely no reason why Barry Allen can't be used as The Flash regardless of whoever is Green Lantern.

He is the greatest Flash. He has been in every incarnation of The Flash. The new series is fantastic. He makes the most sense from a marketing and logical standpoint in that he is the most self contained of the Flashes and his story does not rely on that of a previously existing Flash or his mythology in order to have his story told. Everything in the modern Flash universe as people think of him (not talking about Jay because, let's face it - nobody thinks of a maskless guy who wears a World War 1 helmet, blue, and buccaneer boots as The Flash. At all - besides, there's no "lightning" in Jay's story unless you count the upside down Shazam symbol he wears. The Flash and lightning are practically synonymous), it all trickles down from Barry Allen. His story would need to be told first (in some form at least), regardless of who is used.

Because honestly, this is how the general, non "die hard Flash fan" public (that's 99.9% of people) feel about The Flash: The Flash = "funny guy who runs fast". And truthfully, in every incarnation, that's who he has been to one extent or another. A sort of "everyman". Barry Allen and Wally West are not that different from each other. In fact, the last 10 or so years toward the end of Wally's run he practically was Barry Allen in all but name only (police job/secret identity, reporter gf/wife, the Rogues, Reverse Flash, time travel, the twins, etc). Then they tried doing the same with Bart.

Even on the JL/JLU show, they used Barry Allen's story and world but just had their Flash's secret identity be "Wally West" (simply because Wally was headlining the comic book title at the point and time of the television show). Which, for the reasons I stated above, is most likely what would happen regardless of what they called The Flash in his "secret identity/alter ego" (Jay, Barry, Wally, Bart, John Fox, etc) in the movie, so with that in mind, WHY NOT just use the "real" guy? Just use Barry Allen. They still have a chance to get The Flash right. Just because they ****ed up with GL doesn't mean to close the door on The Flash as though there were a failed Barry Allen film like the GL and not do him justice.

There is only one choice where I am standing. And that is Barry Allen. Make it so, WB! Don't let me down, don't disappoint us. The potential there is so great. Make a great movie, then do a Flash trilogy, end part 3 with Barry "passing the mantle on" if you feel the need, after you've used him to his fullest potential and made people care about The Flash character through Barry Allen. Don't John Blakeman us and start with Wally West (and I'm not ripping of TDKR's ending because this was my idea for a Flash series for years, before Nolan, before TDKR, and it fits the comics unlike Blakeman Begins at the end of TDKR ).

No need to kill Barry Allen/The Flash off in the JL movie, either. (That was one of the biggest problems with the JLM script, they had a young 20-something guy (Adam Brody) cast as The Flash who they could have had a potential series with, yet they kill him in the last 10 min of the film, only to replace him with an even YOUNGER actor (17 something, and it was a very, very young pre Star Trek Anton Yelchin), that was stupid) Even with how they wrote The Flash character in that script, Barry Allen would no doubt have emerged as the favorite/most popular character from that movie. He was definitely the best written to say the least (sans the ending of course), they kept the "fun" in being The Flash with the right balance of "seriousness", pretty much what I'd like to see for the movie (and for Flash, it actually works). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is an all around stupid idea to kill The Flash, particularly when there is no need to since they're just starting out. You write yourself into a corner that way. If anything at all, do it at the series very end, but do it smart.

(And keep Barry for the solo movie too, obviously. Wally West cannot carry his own solo movie without there being a Barry Allen anyway, another reason why the only time Wally West has been used as The Flash in non comic book media is when they don't have to go into his back story much (i.e. he can just be a "guy who runs fast", so they can call him whoever they want because it doesn't matter), and in the episodes of JL/JLU that were Flash centric, they would always use Barry Allen's story elements, as I pointed out - there is a reason for that, just saying)

Barry Allen and John Stewart for The Flash and Green Lantern in JLA!!!
That's pretty much exactly my base thought on the subject. Why CAN'T you have Stewart and Allen? That's the best way to go. Move on from Hal Jordan, add some racial flare to the group and keep Flash as Barry Allen, the one we know and love. No reason you can't have those two together.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #625
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Sorry if I didn't read carefully enough, but what was the reasoning for John over Hal besides the 2011 flop? I wholeheartedly agree with your explanation for Barry (even showed me some stuff I hadn't thought of before) and since he's the Flash in the comics with Wally almost nowhere to be found, it's probably going to happen.

Speaking of probably going to happen, I can guarantee that either John or Cyborg will show up in the movie. Unfortunately, there's no way around it the way I see it :/ Diversity is a big thing for these kinds of movies now and it's undeniable that WB has it in mind with casting as well (see Perry White in MOS).

And as of right now, John seems like a better bet for, admittedly, the reasons that people like Kevin Smith and others cite - distancing from GL 2011. But if they care about the current state of the comics, Cyborg is another big possibility.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote