The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #676
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

I think we are getting more and more receptive for better or worse. I remember when the fans knew about the ‘suit in a can’ from the leak script of JJ Abram, the complaint were up to the roof, up to the sky!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #677
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I think we are getting more and more receptive for better or worse. I remember when the fans knew about the ‘suit in a can’ from the leak script of JJ Abram, the complaint were up to the roof, up to the sky!
Suit in a can?! what the hell were the producers thinking? Just because JJ had success with Alias doesn't mean that everything he touches turns to gold.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #678
hulk24
Side-Kick

I love the suit the only things that drive me nuts is the obvious ab and shoulder padding it doesn't even match his anatomy at all. His sculpted abs look like the kids muscle padding in halloween costumes they wrinkle in the middle and that doesn't happen... ever . I can understand the muscle suit but they could have at least matched then just enhanced his real musculature. It's very distracting every time I see it in motion.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #679
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I think the muscle suit looks good. Miles better than Routh's in SR.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:56 AM   #680
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I think the muscle suit looks good. Miles better than Routh's in SR.

Yeah, the MOS costume isn't even a "full" muscle suit, as it mostly serves to add/show the kind of definition a regular spandex suit would essentially take away from an actor's physique regardless of his physical condition. Also, it's not there to provide muscles (HC already has them) in the way a typical muscle suit would, making the MOS costume notably thinner.

Yeah, I agree. It looks great. The only thing that looks off, in my opinion, are the fake looking abs. I didn't really notice them in the trailer though, which is a good thing.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #681
sf2
Side-Kick

It's still a muscle suit. N the fake abs can be seen in poster.. Good thing is synder didnt tell a lie as singer did... " no muscle suit. It's all purely his muscle."

Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #682
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
It's still a muscle suit. N the fake abs can be seen in poster.. Good thing is synder didnt tell a lie as singer did... " no muscle suit. It's all purely his muscle."
What's important to me is that he looks like Superman when he's wearing the costume (partially because of the muscle suit); and he looks like Superman when he's shirtless (because HC did what was required to achieve a musclebound physique); and he looks like Clark Kent when he's wearing normal clothes.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #683
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
No, it's not. It's just for definition. And shoulders.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #684
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Quote:
It's not a muscle suit. It's a muscle enhancer. BIG difference. The dude doesn't need any help when it comes to mass. He's got plenty in that department. You have to remember that when someone wears a skin tight outfit, the muscle definition doesn't show really well, and that's why they add an enhancer on the inner lining of the outfit to make it so those muscles stand out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251

Last edited by Kryptonian Warrior; 12-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #685
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
It's not a muscle suit. It's a muscle enhancer. BIG difference.
Yeah, It rather enhances / copies what's already on the inside to the outside, because the definition gets lost under the material. Looks like they might've added the vein on the biceps though.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #686
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Slightly off topic I think the smallvill supersuit is a great version of the trunkless superman suit.

Lokks great in that pic.
PS-read Smallville season 11-its arguably the best superman comic right now

Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #687
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

No, still doesnt work. If you lose the trunks, you gotta lose the belt, otherwise it looks seriously half-assed. MOS came up with a decent alternative.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #688
hulk24
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
It's not a muscle suit. It's a muscle enhancer. BIG difference. The dude doesn't need any help when it comes to mass. He's got plenty in that department. You have to remember that when someone wears a skin tight outfit, the muscle definition doesn't show really well, and that's why they add an enhancer on the inner lining of the outfit to make it so those muscles stand out.
the suit enhances his arms and legs and chest perfectly his shoulders look like shoulder pads and the abs he has while shirtless and the abs on the suit do not match at all. The abs were sculpted to look like comic book anatomy which is fine. But your abs do not crease in the middle of the muscle the bend in between where they connect. it looks like padding not enhancments

Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #689
Binker
Side-Kick

On the Flyby suit in a can criticism: I have read both scripts to Flyby (people seem to forget that there is a second script), and the first script has what is described as a "metallic football shaped canister" that when 14 year old Clark finds it from his parents' closet (he thinks it's a christmas present for him), then opens it in the kitchen, he sees something red inside. He touches it, and something pops up like a jack in the box that pushes him back, and it's the Superman suit standing in the air (how it's described, it's kinda like the scene in the MOS trailer). When Clark touches it, and gets to the sleeves, the suit "reacts" by graphing itself (this is where the "suit acts like Venom" came from) onto a scared Clark, and then he is now wearing it (it appears to be three sizes too big for his 14 year old self). It's primary how he wears the suit in that script. Oh, BTW, to clear the confusion, Clark DID fly on his own without the suit. On the second script, the canister is gone, and instead Clark finds the ship (which happens after the suit change and the mess he pulls with it in the first script) and it's container hatch opens to reveal the suit folded like regular clothes. So, in the second script, it's "normal" to say the least.

So that's the suit in the Flyby scripts.

Last edited by Binker; 12-26-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #690
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk24 View Post
shoulders look like shoulder pads and the abs he has while shirtless and the abs on the suit do not match at all.
No, they don't. HC's shoulder and delts are huge; and the suit accurately reflects that.

The only thing that's off is the appearance of the abs in the suit.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #691
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Meh, his delts aren't that big, they're just well defined. But he's definitely still big, and the suit does accurately represent his definition, even on the abs, it's just not always lit well:

I'd say the "muscle enhancing" is generally correct using a silicon body cast of Henry as an undersuit with padding in strategic areas, for example, there definitely seems to be some in his arms.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #692
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Meh, his delts aren't that big, they're just well defined. But he's definitely still big, and the suit does accurately represent his definition, even on the abs, it's just not always lit well:

I'd say the "muscle enhancing" is generally correct using a silicon body cast of Henry as an undersuit with padding in strategic areas, for example, there definitely seems to be some in his arms.
I was referring to the combined shoulder and delts area, which to me, looks pretty big. His trapezius muscle (located in the neck and shoulder region) looks especially massive, as exemplified in the image I posted earlier.

Hmm. The abs on the suit actually do look somewhat better in that lighting. Interesting.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #693
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

His traps aren't enormous either, he's well proportioned on the whole. Keep in mind the angle of the shot and the position of his arms, he'd look disproportionate if his traps always looked liek that. The pictures from the oil rig do more justice for his shoulders. If you want truly enormous shoulders see Tom Hardy in Warrior, they were scary big, especially his traps- because they're big anyway- but in Warrior, Jesus.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #694
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
His traps aren't enormous either, he's well proportioned on the whole. Keep in mind the angle of the shot and the position of his arms, he'd look disproportionate if his traps always looked liek that. The pictures from the oil rig do more justice for his shoulders. If you want truly enormous shoulders see Tom Hardy in Warrior, they were scary big, especially his traps- because they're big anyway- but in Warrior, Jesus.
Yeah, I'll take your word for it regarding Hardy, but I still think HC's shoulder and delts region is pretty impressive for size. My point is that there isn't a huge difference between the way he looks in the suit and when he is shirtless. Yeah, he looks a little bigger in the suit, but not by a lot.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #695
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

For some reason the abs look better in the display model. They definitely look a bit off in the picture where he's getting arrested though.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #696
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

The abs look better because of the lighting, the suit will have a rigid silicone skin underneath it, which is appears to be (ironically going from abs shape) based on Henry's body.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #697
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
The abs look better because of the lighting, the suit will have a rigid silicone skin underneath it, which is appears to be (ironically going from abs shape) based on Henry's body.
Kind of odd to be saying this since the film hasn't even come out yet, but I'm looking forward to the DVD extras that will, no doubt, delve into how the suit was crafted. That will definitely be something to see.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #698
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I think it should just be called a muscle suit. In either case, it's "enhancing" or adding to muscles an actor has or doesn't have just like any other superhero film we've seen. Just the nature of making a Hollywood film.

What makes the MOS suit different (and I assume due to Snyder's sensibilities) is that he's given us a superhero that has the definition we're used to seeing in comics and not just using the usual airbrush techniques we've seen in the past. He even had human vasculature added.

EDIT:

Just to add. We're not going to get actors with costumes that allow for their musculature and vasculature to come through like this...

http://ampcosplay.tumblr.com/tagged/superman

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 12-27-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #699
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
I think it should just be called a muscle suit. In either case, it's "enhancing" or adding to muscles an actor has or doesn't have just like any other superhero film we've seen. Just the nature of making a Hollywood film.

What makes the MOS suit different (and I assume due to Snyder's sensibilities) is that he's given us a superhero that has the definition we're used to seeing in comics and not just using the usual airbrush techniques we've seen in the past. He even had human vasculature added.

EDIT:

Just to add. We're not going to get actors with costumes that allow for their musculature and vasculature to come through like this...

http://ampcosplay.tumblr.com/tagged/superman

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Well, I think the hard lighting should be noted in this picture. Give him more even lighting and you won't be getting those details.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #700
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

That suit is really thin and skintight meaning you can see just about everything little vein and bump in the skin. Not really preferable either. The molded suit works best.