C'mon Son

Default Re: Spill.com

I watched a little of it. I thought the bit I watched was funny

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #327
Killgrave
Side-Kick

Yeah, I thought whole thing was funny, but I'm still going to see DU this weekend.

Killgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #328
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

These guys got me kinda worried about Django. I could see QT going overboard like that. He has real trouble controlling his excesses.

JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #329
Blackman
C'mon Son

I saw Django the only thing that I think he went of with was the squibs. But it was a great movie to me

Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #330
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Django Unchained was the best film of the year imo. Got a big applause at my screening too. Definitely worth watching.

Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #331
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
These guys got me kinda worried about Django. I could see QT going overboard like that. He has real trouble controlling his excesses.
Well in the end he'll be able to say he made the movies he wanted to make.

and that should be important to any artist.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #332
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Well in the end he'll be able to say he made the movies he wanted to make.

and that should be important to any artist.
Well... yeah.... But that's not necessarily a good thing. I forget which director said it (maybe Kubrick?), but a good director should be prepared to cut out his favorite scene from a movie in order to make it work. QT doesn't know how to edit his films. Maybe that's good for him, but it hurts the quality of his films in the eyes of critics, including the Spill crew.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #333
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The Spill crew is in the minority. Most critics liked or loved Django regardless of any excesses.

The Spill crew kind of kill their credibility when their central complaint is over-use of the N-word. That shouldn't be a deal breaker for any movie about slaveowners and set in the 1800's.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #334
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
The Spill crew is in the minority. Most critics liked or loved Django regardless of any excesses.

The Spill crew kind of kill their credibility when their central complaint is over-use of the N-word. That shouldn't be a deal breaker for any movie about slaveowners and set in the 1800's.
This. It makes them looks surprisingly stupid imo. and i like these guys

But was that actually their primary complaint? I didnt listen to the full reviews

Last edited by Blackman; 12-27-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #335
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

So I finally saw Django and I'm about to listen to their audio review. I'm seriously confused into why they aren't fond of it. I thought it was really fantastic.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #336
JJJ's Ulcer

They also bagged on Zero Dark Thirty (except Korey), which I was kinda surprised by. I think Cyrus hated it for mostly political reasons.

JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #337
DrDoom
Dictator

They mostly bagged on Zero Dark Thirty for trying to trick people into seeing it by portraying it as an action movie when apparently it kinda isnt.

But iirc most trailers are put together by separate companies and the studios have little input.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #338
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

I think it's funny that some people don't like Billy on LDT, I actually like the banner between Korey, Co-Host, and Billy.

If there's anyone I don't really care for it's Alan. Nothing against the guy, but I love the dynamic between the other three being that they're good friends; when they give Alan the mic it's like "oh boy".

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #339
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
So I finally saw Django and I'm about to listen to their audio review. I'm seriously confused into why they aren't fond of it. I thought it was really fantastic.
Their main complaints are the excessive use of the N-word, along with the movie being uneven in its plotting and tone.

I can see maybe one or two moments the word is used too much but they make it sound like it is used literally every other word. I had no problem with it in the movie, it was used appropriately IMO. What's even more baffling is Leon saying that he might've removed himself from the AFCA if they chose this as their top movie of 2012. Which I found pretty silly.

You would think the first point was their only problem with all the comments flying back and forth on the site but here comes the problem of them wanting to be funny before every single one of their reviews. They take a joke and run with it for so long in audio review, that is what people remember the most.

They keep saying this was only one of many problems they had with the movie. But they aren't doing themselves any favors by continually going back to it. Address the issue and move on.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #340
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
I think it's funny that some people don't like Billy on LDT, I actually like the banner between Korey, Co-Host, and Billy.

If there's anyone I don't really care for it's Alan. Nothing against the guy, but I love the dynamic between the other three being that they're good friends; when they give Alan the mic it's like "oh boy".
I just listen to the audio reviews, but I've gotten tired of Cyrus lately. He enjoyed Hyde Park on Hudson, which I saw and was terrible and has been overly negative about some other films I enjoyed. And his reasons usually aren't the best. He seems to go into the cinema with his mind already made up about whether he'll like it or not. Also he has a very overbearing personality at times, sometimes dismissing his co-reviewers' points when they disagree. I used to like him, but then someone (Brian?) replaced him for a bit and I realized I enjoyed that guy's laid-back approach and chemistry with the others a lot more.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #341
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
They mostly bagged on Zero Dark Thirty for trying to trick people into seeing it by portraying it as an action movie when apparently it kinda isnt.
That relates but its connected to something bigger. Most of them thought there was no character development so there was no one to attach themselves to. They also thought most of the bureaucratic stuff was uninteresting and should have been cut. There should have been more action to make it exciting.

I can see their first point but disagree with it. Their second issue just annoys the hell out of me. They kept saying how Argo did it right, even thought they fail to realize both movies are doing entirely different things. Yes in Argo you are completely on one side and want to see one outcome which make you feel all happy afterwards. I'm pretty sure and entirely different movie of Argo can be made where we go into a different route of seeing the plan be approved and executed.

Quote:
They also bagged on Zero Dark Thirty (except Korey), which I was kinda surprised by. I think Cyrus hated it for mostly political reasons.
Quote:
I just listen to the audio reviews, but I've gotten tired of Cyrus lately. He enjoyed Hyde Park on Hudson, which I saw and was terrible and has been overly negative about some other films I enjoyed. And his reasons usually aren't the best. He seems to go into the cinema with his mind already made up about whether he'll like it or not. Also he has a very overbearing personality at times, sometimes dismissing his co-reviewers' points when they disagree. I used to like him, but then someone (Brian?) replaced him for a bit and I realized I enjoyed that guy's laid-back approach and chemistry with the others a lot more.
Just Cyrus being Cyrus, the Lockout review is a perfect example of how he wants to be right all the time and everyone else is wrong. I prefer Brian too. Both white dudes that use puns.

Spill

Last edited by Liam_H; 01-07-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #342
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Just Cyrus being Cyrus, the Lockout review is a perfect example of how he wants to be right all the time and everyone else is wrong. I prefer Brian too. Both white dudes that use puns.
Ah, the infamous Lockout review.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #343
Blackman
C'mon Son

The Lockout review where he fought Co Host and then there was The Mechanic review when he got into a fight with Korey.

And I heard that he got into a fight with Carlyle in the Death Race review.

It seems like he always gets into a fight during these mediocre/forgettable movies.

He definetly is my least favorite of the group, but he had more personality than Brian.

And personally I stopped listening to LDT. I dont really like BIlly

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #344
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Congrats to Spill for their Podcast Award for whatever that's worth.

Spill

Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #345
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post

This comment prompted me to seek out the Lockout review, which I missed the first time around. Wow, I knew Cyrus was pretentious, but I didn't know he was such a condescending dick.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #346
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Anyone catch how Billy's girlfriend broke up with him and it was partly Korey's fault?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #347
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anyone catch how Billy's girlfriend broke up with him and it was partly Korey's fault?
Where did you hear this? Cause I thought they said she had to go back across the states for a job or something.

Spill

Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #348
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

I believe it was ACOCO (or LTD) a couple weeks back, i'm not sure but Korey mentioned about Billy not being comfortable about some of the LTDs and I thought it was with Billy's girlfriend.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #349
Liam_H
Side-Kick

That doesn't really make sense. If he or she's not then they she shouldn't be coming on the show. Its like how Grant requested them to never bring his wife into the jokes/banter etc. and LEOG has respected that.

Spill

Old 01-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #350
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Quote:
I believe it was ACOCO (or LTD) a couple weeks back, i'm not sure but Korey mentioned about Billy not being comfortable about some of the LTDs and I thought it was with Billy's girlfriend.
I remember hearing that his girlfriend got a job out of state and they decided not to do the long distance thing, this is from Billy of course so there's probably more to it.

Billy said on an episode of LDT, without Korey, that he told Korey not to mention it on air and Korey did it anyway.

Quote: