The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #301
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
movie was a lot of fun and was very entertaining. i really liked it.

i also developed a major crush on olivia thirlby during the film, though i don't think she's anything special outside the film. odd.
The EXACT same thing happened with me, curious.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #302
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
So it WASN'T just me!!

I loved her character. That, and she was hot w/out all the cleavage.

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #303
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
movie was a lot of fun and was very entertaining. i really liked it.

i also developed a major crush on olivia thirlby during the film, though i don't think she's anything special outside the film. odd.
Same here, she looks so beautiful with Blonde hair.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

TheIrishAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #304
Maximus One
Oddball

Yea she was gorgeous in this plus I really liked her character

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #305
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
The same with me. Something about thirlby that made her more attractive in Dredd than usual.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #306
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Maybe he read a few of them before moving to Aus, his like of the characters had to come from somewere I guess. Hope he gets it moving soon, although Avatar 2 & 3 are shooting soon.
Worthington moved to Australia when he was a toddler so he probably just read the comics as a kid in Australia like Karl Urban did in New Zealand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
I liked it a lot but I thought it lacked a great villain.
Mama is no Judge Death.
I agree about lacking a good villain Ma-Ma wasn't particularly memorable. Perhaps they should of used the Angel Gang again.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #307
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I agree about lacking a good villain Ma-Ma wasn't particularly memorable. Perhaps they should of used the Angel Gang again.
Lena Headey was great as Mama, and she was so ruthless, yet tragic. I thought she was a great villain.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #308
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
So it WASN'T just me!!

I loved her character. That, and she was hot w/out all the cleavage.
Nope, looks like a few people. I remember when she was cast I looked up pictures of her and just didnt find her attractive, yet in the movie I think I slowly fell in love with her!

Quote:
The same with me. Something about thirlby that made her more attractive in Dredd than usual.
Yep, see above.

Quote:
Worthington moved to Australia when he was a toddler so he probably just read the comics as a kid in Australia like Karl Urban did in New Zealand.
That sounds the most likely, lets hope he can get something moving on the RT movie. In a dream world, we would get a Dredd sequel and a Rogue Trooper movie by 2016.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #309
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Saw it last night and was pleasantly surprised, I wasn't really impressed by the trailers and have never followed the character, but Travis used his budget well to create a suitably grimy future world, set the movie up simply and effectively, kept things tight and shot some badass action.

The film is essentially The Raid remixed but that is ideal given the budget and the premise is used to full effect. I don't know how close to the comics Urban's Dredd was but I enjoyed the mix of stoic badass and sarcastic humour. Likewise I thought Olivia Thirlby was fantastic and the heartbeat of the film.

Mama was a decent choice of villain for this premise and budget, I found the character creepy and viscous and I thought Lena Heady did a good job with her screen-time, plus I dug the twist with the corrupt Judges.

All in all good stuff, hopefully there will be a sequel.

8/10

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #310
Blackman
C'mon Son

I saw this a couple days ago and I really liked it. Acting was cool, action was awesome, and the characters themselves were really interesting to watch.

It sucks that this didnt make more money in theaters because I really want a sequel. 8/10

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #311
Spark
Side-Kick

Then people need to hit the DVD hard. Maybe there's a slight chance it'll peak the interest of big distributors who are more willing to take a risk.

Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #312
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Then people need to hit the DVD hard. Maybe there's a slight chance it'll peak the interest of big distributors who are more willing to take a risk.
yeah Im definetly picking up the Blu ray the day it comes out.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #313
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
The film is essentially The Raid remixed but that is ideal given the budget and the premise is used to full effect. I don't know how close to the comics Urban's Dredd was but I enjoyed the mix of stoic badass and sarcastic humour.
Urban nailed Judge Dredd.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #314
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
That sounds the most likely, lets hope he can get something moving on the RT movie. In a dream world, we would get a Dredd sequel and a Rogue Trooper movie by 2016.
Considering Dredd's failure due to it's lack of budget and advertising I've been thinking about something a lot - there are actors with stroke out there who claim to be die-hard fans of 2000AD and various directors over the years (who have enough stroke to get films of theirs funded with budgets bigger than Dredd's) swiping 2000AD's themes, tones and visuals for years. Why don't all these people have more of an influence in getting a big bucks 2000AD off the ground?

Surely as fans they would want to see the films done well too? Surely as fans they would have as much faith as we do that if they were done right they could be real box-office successes?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #315
Blackman
C'mon Son

I really want a sequel.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #316
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
The film is essentially The Raid remixed but that is ideal given the budget and the premise is used to full effect.
Actually I found this out a few days ago. The guys that wrote The Raid read the script of Dredd that was leaked quite a few years ago, and really copied off of Dredd's script. I had no idea of that until a bit ago. So really it's the other way around. Dredd was just released and finished later.

But to me this was a surprisingly great film, and I think will become a cult classic.

8.8/10 for me.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #317
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Robocop was influenced by Judge Dredd as well

Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #318
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Actually I found this out a few days ago. The guys that wrote The Raid read the script of Dredd that was leaked quite a few years ago, and really copied off of Dredd's script. I had no idea of that until a bit ago. So really it's the other way around. Dredd was just released and finished later.

But to me this was a surprisingly great film, and I think will become a cult classic.

8.8/10 for me.
Still, The Raid was a lot more entertaining than Dredd, which was fairly boring, and forgot to include satire.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #319
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Still, The Raid was a lot more entertaining than Dredd, which was fairly boring, and forgot to include satire.
So what "satire" from the Raid did you like?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #320
Terminator
Side-Kick

I also thought Olivia Thirlby was incredibly hot in this. Then I watched press interviews, still great looking but not the same.

I enjoyed Dredd a helluva lot more than I did The Raid. I liked The Raid but I don't understand the level of praise it got. To me, it was a fairly standard martial arts movie with a Donkey Kong plot. I didn't feel like I was seeing some sort of revolution in the genre.

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #321
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I also thought Olivia Thirlby was incredibly hot in this. Then I watched press interviews, still great looking but not the same.

I enjoyed Dredd a helluva lot more than I did The Raid. I liked The Raid but I don't understand the level of praise it got. To me, it was a fairly standard martial arts movie with a Donkey Kong plot. I didn't feel like I was seeing some sort of revolution in the genre.
The fight scenes.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #322
Terminator
Side-Kick

I remember when I saw Tony Jaa for the first time, that felt special, didn't get that feeling with the fights in The Raid. The Mad Dog stuff was intense but...meh.

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #323
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
So what "satire" from the Raid did you like?
There wasn't any in The Raid, I meant that Dredd lacked any satire to it.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #324
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
There wasn't any in The Raid, I meant that Dredd lacked any satire to it.
But I don't see why Dredd needed any. It didn't take itself too seriously. It was raw and very adult, but you could tell the cheesy one-liners were just simply cheesy one-liners. I don't satire was all that necessary.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #325
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post

8.8/10 for me.
That is interesting, I wonder why the Dredd makers didn't complain given how blatant the copy is.

Yeah I think the movie will fall into the cult category which is a shame as I'd like a sequel with an expanded budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post

I found The Raid underwhelming as well, it's a decent action flick but gets very repetitive and is not amongst the true Asian classics IMO.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote