The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Who Should Be Dead or Die in the Alt Future in DOFP?
Wolverine 35 52.24%
Professor X 9 13.43%
Beast 16 23.88%
Jean Grey 19 28.36%
Cyclops 14 20.90%
Storm 31 46.27%
NightCrawler 13 19.40%
Colossus 17 25.37%
Angel 20 29.85%
Iceman 8 11.94%
Rogue 9 13.43%
Kitty Pride 4 5.97%
Banshee 16 23.88%
Havok 13 19.40%
Mystique 10 14.93%
Pyro 18 26.87%
Sabretooth 16 23.88%
Juggernaut 16 23.88%
Gambit 14 20.90%
Emma Frost 18 26.87%
Azazel 19 28.36%
Only Miscellaneous X-Men Characters who didnt debut in film 11 16.42%
Other 11 16.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Which X-Men Should die or be dead in DOFP?

It's difficult to know who they will choose.

I just re-watched the first part of the Wolverine & The X-Men episode Future X, which is its version of the DoFP storyline.

Interestingly, only Xavier and Wolverine are left from the original team. The other mutants include Bishop, Kamal, Marrow, Hellion, Domino and a flying, fire-blasting female character.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:28 AM   #27
josh8
Side-Kick

I would love to just see Logan, Storm, Rogue, Kitty, Colossus, and Magneto alive when the future scenes start. I hate Shawn Ashmore's Iceman, so I want him dead already. Also throw in Beast and Angel as dead since we already have a 60s Beast and no emotional attachment to Warren. With Jean, Scott, and Xavier already dead from X3, this would actually be really really close to the comics version and feature all the characters we care about (and the ones that would be amazing to see in battle with the Sentinels).

josh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's difficult to know who they will choose.

I just re-watched the first part of the Wolverine & The X-Men episode Future X, which is its version of the DoFP storyline.

Interestingly, only Xavier and Wolverine are left from the original team. The other mutants include Bishop, Kamal, Marrow, Hellion, Domino and a flying, fire-blasting female character.
yeah, its really interesting how each version of the storyarc has totally different characters, and not Just x-men.

I see no reason why this movie will be any different.

some users only expect 4 or 5 original actors, but this movie wont be as simple as that

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I am expecting 6 maybe 7 of original cast In future.I don't expect any major new characters In future.Cameos by a couple new characters Is possable.

It's also going to depend how DOFP Is structed and who the time traveler Is.

If the future Is just 20-25 minutes at beging of film with Wolverine or Rogue/Kitty(depending which one they would Include In film) It defently won't have any new characters.If film goes back and forth between future and 1960's and the time travel Is Xavier switching minds with younger self then you have more opportunity for cameos.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I am expecting 6 maybe 7 of original cast In future.I don't expect any major new characters In future.Cameos by a couple new characters Is possable.

It's also going to depend how DOFP Is structed and who the time traveler Is.

If the future Is just 20-25 minutes at beging of film with Wolverine or Rogue/Kitty(depending which one they would Include In film) It defently won't have any new characters.If film goes back and forth between future and 1960's and the time travel Is Xavier switching minds with younger self then you have more opportunity for cameos.
It seems likely we will get familiar faces in the future, yes.

In the comics and cartoons, the key characters like Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, etc were in the past setting, so we didn't need them in the future.

But in the film, we don't have Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, Rogue in the 60s, so if they are going to appear anywhere, it seems likely to be the future.

It all depends on what story they have chosen, which time periods it is set in, if it's an alternate future or not. Until we know all that, it's impossible to be certain who might appear.

They might well decide to bring younger versions of Storm, Cyclops and Jean into the 60s and ignore the fact that the timeline would mean those three aren't born yet.

For instance, Havok, Banshee and Beast could get captured and Xavier has to find a new team to rescue them, similar to what happened in Giant Size X-Men story Second Genesis in 1975. In that story, the original team (Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Havok, Polaris) were captured by the mutant living island Krakoa and Xavier recruited Storm, Colossus, Banshee, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird, Sunfire and Wolverine to stop them. (Of course, the later retcon Deadly Genesis had him first recruiting another new team, who all failed in the rescue mission - Darwin, Petra, Sway, Vulcan).

There are many possibilities.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #31
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

with Bryan Singer directing I don't expect hairpulling contunity problems like teenage Cyclops,Jean,and Storm In 1960's.I don't expect any big charater Introductions since
we are already dealing with casts from first Class and original films.Plus this film won't be just action.In 1960's you have to spend time devolping both X-men and Brotherhood.You know sometime Is going to spent devolping Magneto and Mystique.

Hugh Jackman and his recent comments about The Wolverine set after The Last Stand may be misleading and future scenes may be sequel to X-Men and X2.And Thus Cyclops and Jean could be In future scenes.

But I believe any character not In X-Men and X2 will be dead In DOFP's future.

as for future yes It's alternate from real world present or 2000's but It may be presented as future for post X-men triolgy(or possibly X-Men/x2) before the time travel to prevent event from past that will plant seeds for eventul future with Sentinles.The fact The Wolverine ties Into DOFP and Bryan Singer's talk of connecting films and connecting dots between films saus the future Is connected to past X-Men films and Isn't just alternate versions of characters from X-Men trilogy.And we don't need time travel problems like The Terminator had.

I firmly expect the future viewing order of films will be this way-First Class,X-Men trilogy(it's always possibly the Last Stand may be thrown out) The Wolverine,Days of future past.And It's possible If there are plans for another X-Men film after DOFp with original cast(another wolverine film at the least) I wouldn't put It past Bryan to use Time travel to remove the Last Stand from Contunity,keep X-Men and X2 and use the star Trek 2009 way to keep some people from being upset by saying the Last Stand did originaly happen but time travel has now overwritten It.Just like In Star Trek all originally happened but time travel has mostly wiped out past except for enterprise.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

kill wolverine off, nothing against the character but it would be a bigger shock moment, lets not have another wolverine is badass and invinsible film

if the future is changed it will never have happened anyway

Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #33
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hugh Jackman and his recent comments about The Wolverine set after The Last Stand may be misleading and future scenes may be sequel to X-Men and X2.
WIth the confirmed comments from Jackman, how are you coming to that conclusion? They may retcon it by the end of the movie but nothing points to it being completely wiped out right now. Especially since its still canon in the next X Men film.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #34
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I can accept for now The Last Stand as part of cannon.But,I have raised possiblty they might be misleading us.Which wouldn't be first time this has happened.

But how much onscreen will we actully get In The Wolverine to connect directly to last Stand.Both Wolverine leaving X-Men and having dream or hallunication of Jean could easily tie In to Wolverine leaving mansion shortly after events of X2 If they wanted to let Bryan Singer outright Ignore The Last Stand.It doesn't appear for now that Is way they are going but that Is possibilty that can't be 100 percent dismissed.

I expect returing characters In future to be actors from X-men and X2 even with future being sequel to X_Men trilogy.Since Kitty was In X-Men and X2(played by different actresses) It's possibly In theory for Ellen Page to return as Kitty.Although my bet Is eather her or Anna Paquin will be In film,and If Ellen Is In film It's likely they couldn't make DOFP schedule work with Anna's schedule.I don't expect any on screen references to things In Last Stand like Cure and what happened to Xavier.Bryan may go along with saying that film happened In film cannon but I seriously doudt he will want to call attention to things that happened In that film.I think Beast and Angel will be among the dead characters.

If James Marsden or Famke Janssen are announced as returing cast members for DOFP prior to filming that Is a major clue to what Bryan Is doing.

1:The Wolverine will tie In someway to DOFP(Most likely at end or post credit scene) so I don't buy an alternate timeline unconnected to other films
2:Unlikely James or Famke would be announced early for cameos at end of film for showing the events of time travel has done away with future with Sentinles as well as events of Last Stand(If Bryan keeping the Last Stand In cannon for future with sentinles I defently don't put It past him to use time travel to give reason for throwing out The Last Stand)

So if Hugh jackman Isn't misleading people on behalf of DOFP and what Is exactly seen In the wolverine the future scenes In DOFP are sequel to first Class,X_Men trilogy,and
The Wolverine.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
def28
Side-Kick

I dont think there is any misleading going on when The Wolverine takes place. Mangold and Jackman confirmed in separate interviews it takes place after X3. Mangold said it was important for him to have it take place then with where Logan is in the Story. How this ties into DOFP, who knows.

Even if Famke or Marsden return that doesnt mean only X1 and 2 are canon. Timelines can be completely altered. Then what. they do X3 the redo? Fans may want that but it will not sit too hot with audiences. Especially those that do enjoy X3. They have to move forward in a new way and fix their mistakes. If X3 is gone in the alt future then all of the other movies will be gone or just flat out not mentioned. Going through the trouble to explain why only events up to X2 are in continuity will seem contrived, and honestly kind of pointless from how I see it.

Last edited by def28; 12-30-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #36
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quite honestly, I would have no problem with them 'throwing out' The Last Stand or XMO: Wolverine, nor would I have an issue with seeing the Phoenix Saga done properly and respectfully. I wouldn't have an issue with them overwriting the events of First Class with its weird character choices either.

But the mainstream audience also has to be considered. They remember the basics of those films and their stories.

I wouldn't have any problem with a total reboot, to be honest.

I feel the films haven't reached their potential and the continuity has become tangled and messy. I'd prefer a more clean and linear approach like Marvel has done, where you know where things are going (even if Marvel's own films are a bit safe and not very memorable or exciting).

Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
def28
Side-Kick

I see it either as FC becomes the main series with a fresh start , or Singers crew gets a clean start again. I really cant see them doing a continuation from X2. They seem they want to start a new and expand like the Marvel films, not go back and re do films. This film should be their mistake fixer and put them into a new era of films that can rely on a fresh future without past continuity. No more of the picking and ditching continuity, just let it flow forward.

Last edited by def28; 12-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #38
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

They aren't going to redo Phoenix Saga.That Ship has longed since sailed.Bryan Singer's past work means you had to at least consider the possility of that happening.I am for now proceeding with notion that the future scenes are sequel to trilogy as well as First class
and The Wolverine.WOuld It surprise that Singer would throw out The Last Stand?No.
But,Inless some misleading Is going on It doesn't look like that Is happeneing.But,at same time there Is chance of using time travel to do away with events of Last Stand to allow them to do something else with oriignal Cast.

I am sick of reboots.Even If you pulled a star Trek and did away with all other films besides first Class and the past part of DOFP some will stillf find reason to complain.Just
take a look at MIS Marvel thread to find that out.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, seems clear they arent gonna fully reboot unless FC will take that position. The X3 events will be non existent by the end of DOFP film in some form so it should leave doors open for both teams... I would assume. They need a fresh start and clear path one way or another for both of them.

Last edited by def28; 12-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Yeah, seems clear they arent gonna fully reboot unless FC will take that position. The X3 events will be non existent by the end of DOFP film in some form so it should leave doors open for both teams... I would assume. They need a fresh start and clear path one way or another for both of them.
Yeah I kinda wonder how long will they continue this franchise until they reboot X-Men and bring in an entire new cast...

The FC cast could possibly continue for the next decade, but there are a number of actors from the original trilogy who aren't getting any younger. I would think X4 and X5 could be a strong possibility of retaining the original cast. But then again DOFP might be the last appearance of the original cast, with X4 essentially being a reboot in an entire new universe (X-Men & Fantastic Four) with new actors playing the roles.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #41
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, they have a few options and whatever they choose they have to plan this carefully, cause it can get messy. Clean start post DOFP with either crew is just the best way to go. Audiences are gonna love this flick and want more. So they need to have a decent lifespan for the series.

Im sure they want to take advantage of alot more characters now that they see what Marvels doing, and with Millar mentioning Cable and X Force I would think they would want some sort of main modern X team going at the same time to start connecting films and building to another event like AOA. So I dont know if only a FC team would work, unless they fully bring them to the modern world or something of that sort. Singers team can still work but I just dont think it will/should ride on any of the previous trilogy.

Last edited by def28; 02-05-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
They aren't going to redo Phoenix Saga.That Ship has longed since sailed.Bryan Singer's past work means you had to at least consider the possility of that happening.I am for now proceeding with notion that the future scenes are sequel to trilogy as well as First class
and The Wolverine.WOuld It surprise that Singer would throw out The Last Stand?No.
But,Inless some misleading Is going on It doesn't look like that Is happeneing.But,at same time there Is chance of using time travel to do away with events of Last Stand to allow them to do something else with oriignal Cast.

I am sick of reboots.Even If you pulled a star Trek and did away with all other films besides first Class and the past part of DOFP some will stillf find reason to complain.Just
take a look at MIS Marvel thread to find that out.
They might revisit the Phoenix Saga in some form if we see Jean joining the X-Men in the 80s in the next film, and we see the reason Xavier has to put in the blocks - perhaps something terrible she did when her powers went out of control... It could be Singer's chance to incorporate his ideas from his own X3.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #43
Angamb
Banned User

definetly

A good plot point would be to show the real Phoenix with the fire bird, and at the end Xavier eraze the memory of all the x-men, as the Phoenix stuff didnt happen, and that would explain why none of the original trilogy knew about the Phoenix or Jean blocks.

Not sure if Bryan would do that with Charles, but that would give him freedom to adapt his version of the Phoenix arc, just in a smaller way.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #44
Super Film
Side-Kick

I don't see why revisiting the Phoenix saga is so taboo, look at Spider-Man. We got two movies about his origin produced well within ten years of each other.

Super Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Film View Post
I don't see why revisiting the Phoenix saga is so taboo, look at Spider-Man. We got two movies about his origin produced well within ten years of each other.
Yeah u right, and unlike Spidey's origins I'm sure Singer's version of the Phoenix saga would be very different! After all he did plan it as a two-Story arc, while Ratner gave as a 85min garbage reel.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Film View Post
Yeah u right, and unlike Spidey's origins I'm sure Singer's version of the Phoenix saga would be very different! After all he did plan it as a two-Story arc, while Ratner gave us a 85min garbage reel.

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
def28
Side-Kick

When they have this much material to work from I just dont see them coming back to her after 1 or 2 movies. Maybe down the line but not this quick. Much higher demand to see AOA and new characters focused on, especially if they are still using the same actors after DOFP.

Last edited by def28; 02-05-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
Double B
Side-Kick

Yes, but with Spiderman, it was two entirely different film series. You had Raimi's version. Then you had Marc Webb's.

No links, no ties, a brand new continuity, new actors, etc.

This would be entirely different because it would be redoing the same story within the exact same franchise, with the same actors if it's set in the current era rather than the 80's.

Oh by the way, general audience... remember The Last Stand? Well, forget it, here is the same arc re-adapted... but better!

It just won't happen. The ship has sailed, sadly. And they have so much other story potential to mine rather than, quite literally, going over old ground.

In reponse to the original post, if Rogue isn't the traveler, then I want her to be the last one standing after watching everyone around her die. Making Rogue a survivor, battling to the bitter end, is an incredible image. And such a coming of age moment for movie Rogue.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #49
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
Yeah I kinda wonder how long will they continue this franchise until they reboot X-Men and bring in an entire new cast...

The FC cast could possibly continue for the next decade, but there are a number of actors from the original trilogy who aren't getting any younger. I would think X4 and X5 could be a strong possibility of retaining the original cast. But then again DOFP might be the last appearance of the original cast, with X4 essentially being a reboot in an entire new universe (X-Men & Fantastic Four) with new actors playing the roles.
I don't see how they are gonna reboot this after DOFP, because reboot will require them to recast everyone that appeared in the original trilogy. Even if the happenings of the original trilogy don't matter anymore because they altered the future with DOFP, if they still cast Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as the older Professor X, that wouldn't look like a reboot to casual viewers and they would have to explain that just to be clear.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #50
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I don't see how they are gonna reboot this after DOFP, because reboot will require them to recast everyone that appeared in the original trilogy. Even if the happenings of the original trilogy don't matter anymore because they altered the future with DOFP, if they still cast Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as the older Professor X, that wouldn't look like a reboot to casual viewers and they would have to explain that just to be clear.
That's exactly how they would reboot it, using Days of Future Past as a spring board, if they want to. Or they could just reboot it regardless. Fox is going to have to figure something out. The First Class cast is contracted for one more film, and I don't envision the novelty of having the original actors back lasting much longer.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote