The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #851
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly.

Default Re: 2012: A Monster Year? (box office predictions) - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
There were a number of off season successes, The Grey, Safe House, Looper, Argo, Taken 2, etc. that surely helped as well.
Yeah, I have no idea what Marvelman is talking about. Sometimes smaller is better than big.

Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #852
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eek: View Post
'Skyfall' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide

on December 30, 2012 LOS ANGELES, Calif., December 30, 2012 – Skyfall™, the 23rd James Bond adventure, has surpassed $1 billion at the worldwide box office, it was jointly announced today by Jeff Blake, chairman of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution for Sony Pictures and Gary Barber, MGM's Chairman & CEO.

The film, from Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment, is the most successful Bond film of all time. It is the highest-grossing film of all time in the UK, the first film to pass £100 million at the UK box office. It is also the most successful film at the worldwide box office in Sony Pictures history.

Skyfall took in $4.6 million this weekend in North America for a cume to date of $289.6 million. Overseas, the film grossed $10.3 million for an international total to date of $710.6 million and a worldwide cume exceeding $1 billion and growing.

"It is truly thrilling to reach this incredible milestone. With tremendous gratitude to Barbara and Michael, Sam, Daniel and our partner Sony, and to all of the dedicated distributors and fans across the globe, we are so proud of both Skyfall and our 50 year association with James Bond," said Gary Barber, MGM's Chairman and CEO.

Commenting on the announcement, Blake said, “To see a film connect with audiences is always gratifying but the success of this film is nothing short of extraordinary. After 50 years of entertaining audiences all over the world, Skyfall is the most successful James Bond film of all time. We couldn't be more excited for Michael Wilson, Barbara Broccoli, Sam Mendes, Daniel Craig, and especially the fans who put James Bond in this very rare and very exclusive billion dollar box office club."
1 billion ????????

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #853
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Yeah, I have no idea what Marvelman is talking about. Sometimes smaller is better than big.
I would say that we've come to the point where the two weeks after Labor Day is the only real dead zone in the film going calendar. Sure, there's not much for new releases in January, but that's traditionally when the Oscar contenders are platforming wider. And if you're a theater owner, steady income for 11 1/2 months, with spikes in the Summer and Winter, has to be a good thing.

Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #854
lime
Movie critic

Back in April I said that up to five movies can reach the 1 billion mark this year. A lot of you said that there is no chance.

Well, we are at three and we have Hobbit (and potentially Twilight, but I doubt it) also going for it.

We might very well have 4 billionaires this year.

lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #855
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

January has a shockingly large amount of releases as of late, mostly delayed movies and horror.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #856
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Really pleased with how Hobbit seems to be doing. Should bring in another strong weekend next week with nothing coming out in theaters. And good hold overs for everything else as well. It's actually pretty slow until the 11th.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #857
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Seems like Hobbit is gonna finish with around $305 million. Once Skyfall also makes it that will give us 5 $300 million earners this year, which is a record.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #858
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

How would some of you rate the hobbits performance BO wise? Adjusted wise it will have sold a good deal less tickets than the LOTR films but did any on you predict it to do better than them at least in total gross?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #859
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I'm pretty sure people just predicted top ten or top five, being four at box office is a really amazing feat considering 1) Avengers, 2) Dark Knight Rises, 3) Hunger Games (the wild card of the group). It shows fantasy movies are still ruling box office domestic and over seas.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #860
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Or movies that are apart of big franchises.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #861
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
How would some of you rate the hobbits performance BO wise? Adjusted wise it will have sold a good deal less tickets than the LOTR films but did any on you predict it to do better than them at least in total gross?
Domestically? Its good ...as any regular film with these numbers.

As a part of The Lord of the Rings brand (and the marketing definitely wanted you to know it was connected), not so good. The estimates/expectations/projections had it doing Phantom Menace-level numbers and destroying everything in its path. It hasn't. And unlike the original Rings trilogy, this has 3D and IMAX bumps plus the cost of regular tickets gone up and more screens.

So when it's all said and done the fact that it's going to do about $300-$310M (less than Fellowship of the Ring) isn't good. It isn't bad either. It's... OK.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #862
:eek:
Side-Kick

UPDATED: 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Closes In On $700 Million Globally

on December 30, 2012

Sunday (12/30) Update #2: The latest overseas stats from WB:
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY had another fantastic weekend, grossing $106.5m with approximately 13.7m admissions from nearly 16,600 screens in 62 territories. The holdover drop was a fantastic 12% and we continue to rank #1 for the 3rd straight week across the world, including France, Germany, Spain and the UK. The international cume through Sunday is $464m.

Key Opening:

Australia grossed an outstanding A$18m ($18.6m) from 560 screens and ranked a commanding #1. By comparison, results were:

84% ahead of LOTR 1
27% ahead of LOTR 2
41% ahead of LOTR 3
46% ahead of SKYFALL
43% ahead of AVATAR
19% ahead of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Key market holdovers (Weekend / drop / cume )

Germany (3rd): €12.6m ($16.7m) / +16% /€45.8m ($60m)
UK (3rd): £6.7m ($10.9m) / +12% / £35.8m ($57.7m)
France(3rd): €6.6m ($8.6m) / +23% / €23.8m ($31.2m)
Russia (2nd): Rbl 170m ($5.6m) / -64% / Rbl 835m ($27m)
Spain (3rd): €2.6m ($3.5m) /-28% / €17.2m ($22.4m)
Korea (3rd): Krw 1.9b ($1.7m) / -51% / Krw 21b ($19.5m)
Italy (3rd): €2.6m / $3.4m / par / € $13.7m ($17.9m)
Mexico (3rd): Ps 23m ($1.77m) / -25% / Ps 193m ($15.1m)
Sweden (MGM) (3rd ): Sek 16m / +33% / Sek 98.5m ($14.8m)
Brazil (3rd): R3.7m ($1.8m) / -21% / R28m ($13.4m

:eek: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #863
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Domestically? Its good ...as any regular film with these numbers.

As a part of The Lord of the Rings brand (and the marketing definitely wanted you to know it was connected), not so good. The estimates/expectations/projections had it doing Phantom Menace-level numbers and destroying everything in its path. It hasn't. And unlike the original Rings trilogy, this has 3D and IMAX bumps plus the cost of regular tickets gone up and more screens.

So when it's all said and done the fact that it's going to do about $300-$310M (less than Fellowship of the Ring) isn't good. It isn't bad either. It's... OK.
1) It has the same director, it was bound to have the same visual connections
2) It's impossible to market it without it being connected, it's part of the same universe - what? don't show Gandalf? don't show golem? don't show hobbits? people were going to know
3) saying 'brand' is exactly like saying "Nolan DC" brand yet name me one creditable source who thinks Man Of Steel right out of the gate will make more than TDK or TDKR. What? They're marketing from "the creator of Batman" like there's no tomorrow. It's an edge and in this world if you don't have one? You have nothing. So OBVIOUSLY they were going to market its edge - the only known actor in it is Ian McKellan.
4) So you're listing, what? what you and some box office people predicted? well, inside the studio system, all that matters and all that counts is what the STUDIO expected it to make and unless you have those numbers your so called "estimates/expectations/projections" means absolutely nothing.
5) even the largest news flash would be that it is making a serious profit. at the end of the day you honestly expect studios to go "oh, we didn't make as much as Lord of the Rings" or "it did just okay for it's genre, other films that brought in less money but were breakthroughs for their genre did better" (which is kind of funny that some people think studios think that way when their main goal is just profit) - hell no! they're going to be counting the money and dancing around the office. because other than 'fan boys'? all the STUDIO cares about is making money - not how it did against the other films, not that (which is even more ridiculous a statement) smaller films with less money yet awesome for its genre did better (they still got LESS money). as said in Jerry Maguire "show me the money!!!" And believe me with this kind of money and being one of the top money grossers of the year? Especially at WB having TWO of it's films in the top five? They are celebrating.

There, I said my piece about how a 'fan boy' view point is different from somebody who knows how the system works from having worked/working inside of it. All that matters is studio expectations and getting money - nothing else. MONEY. Bottom line. PROFIT. That's all that counts. All other 'speculation' is just merely the notions of fan boys and/or analysts who aren't connected in any way, shape, or form to the company thus have no official standing with said 'speculation.'

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #864
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
1) It has the same director, it was bound to have the same visual connections
2) It's impossible to market it without it being connected, it's part of the same universe - what? don't show Gandalf? don't show golem? don't show hobbits? people were going to know
3) saying 'brand' is exactly like saying "Nolan DC" brand yet name me one creditable source who thinks Man Of Steel right out of the gate will make more than TDK or TDKR. What? They're marketing from "the creator of Batman" like there's no tomorrow. It's an edge and in this world if you don't have one? You have nothing. So OBVIOUSLY they were going to market its edge - the only known actor in it is Ian McKellan.
4) So you're listing, what? what you and some box office people predicted? well, inside the studio system, all that matters and all that counts is what the STUDIO expected it to make and unless you have those numbers your so called "estimates/expectations/projections" means absolutely nothing.
5) even the largest news flash would be that it is making a serious profit. at the end of the day you honestly expect studios to go "oh, we didn't make as much as Lord of the Rings" or "it did just okay for it's genre, other films that brought in less money but were breakthroughs for their genre did better" - hell no! they're going to be counting the money and dancing around the office. because other than 'fan boys'? all the studio cares about is making money - not how it did against the other films, not that (which is even more ridiculous a statement smaller films with less money yet awesome for its genre did better - they still got LESS money). as said in Jerry Maguire "show me the money!!!" And believe me with this kind of money and being one of the top money grossers of the year? Especially at WB having TWO of it's films in the top five? They are celebrating.

There, I said my piece about how a 'fan boy' view point is different from somebody who knows how the system works from having worked/working inside of it. All that matters is studio expectations and getting money - nothing else.
Ah, fanboy rants. Nothing better. Or sadder.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #865
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Dude, what exactly do you do for a living? Just wondering?

Because I'm stationed at one of the top five film studios for a couple of years now.

So, what are your merits? Just, you know, wondering for me and the board to know.

That's how I know that the only thing that matters is profit. Not if a film is good, not anything else, these studio people aren't the creative types - they're the money types. All they care about is money. It's sad in every way possible, but here? Yeah, as with everything else, all they care about is... money, profit, bottom line dollar.

Now, as said, you want to show your merits - provide them - I've just provided mine and most on here who have seen me wandering around know that.

ADDING: I'm sorry if stating the above makes me sound egotistical to anyone, I'm not bragging, I just thought this in this response was necessary.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #866
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Dude, what exactly do you do for a living? Just wondering?

Because I'm stationed at one of the top five film studios for a couple of years now.

So, what are your merits? Just, you know, wondering for me and the board to know.

That's how I know? That the only thing that matters is profit. Not if a film is good, not anything else, these studio people aren't the creative types - they're the money types. All they care about is money. It's sad in every way possible, but here? Yeah, as with everything else, all they care about is... money.
Anyone who claims they work for "one of the top five film studios" out loud doesn't. Studio drops moles here. Big time. But they're discrete. Which you aren't and that only proves how phoney you are. Thanks for playing.

I presented my reasonable dissection of The Hobbit's domestic performance and your response was to be a fanboy.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #867
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Lmaol. Believe whatever you want dude. You not answering just shows your lack of credibility. Oh yeah, and guys feel absolutely free to search my history - in case you may have forgotten - you'll find plenty backing up the insider claim from knowledge on one script to detailing without revealing a couple plot points of another. As said, to anyone who reads this and thinks I'm egotistical, I'm not and try to not to come off that way but understand that I might and for that I'm sorry for any grievances that might cause.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #868
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Lmaol. Believe whatever you want dude. You not answering just shows your lack of credibility. Oh yeah, and guys feel absolutely free to search my history - in case you may have forgotten - you'll find plenty backing up the insider claim from knowledge on one script to detailing without revealing a couple plot points of another.
It's adorable you pretending to work for a studio. Without any "proof" yourself. Run along and play now, little fanboy.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #869
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Dude, it's all in my history. 'Nuff said. Oh yeah, I can spill one title to search under my profile - WONDER WOMAN. There's another in there for people who search hard enough. Bye now. Oh and sorry for being even more egotistical, just this guy deserves it - I'm only in my early to mid twenties.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #870
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Dude, it's all in my history. 'Nuff said. Oh yeah, I can spill one title to search under my profile - WONDER WOMAN. Bye now.
Once again to your phoniness. Having to insist you're the real deal and saying "look it up." No, no, little fanboy, you're supposed to prove to me all by yourself. Which you haven't and apparently will not do. Bye now.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #871
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Lmaol. I love these older adults living in their parents basements. How old are you 30? What do you do for a living? Plumbing? Guessing I'm kind of close because I seem to be hitting a nerve with my career and age. And you're actually not worth the effort going through my history for. I just love how funny and cute it is how much this seems to be getting to you. Because I hit something. What? Can't stand the fact that someone, I'm supposing is much younger than you, has already progressed so much farther than you in life or much farther than you'll ever go in life? Just curious because what I'm saying really seems to be getting to you.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #872
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Lmaol. I love these older adults living in their parents basements. How old are you 30? What do you do for a living? Plumbing? Guessing I'm kind of close because I seem to be hitting a nerve. And you're actually not worth the effort going through my history for. I just love how funny and cute it is how much this seems to be getting to you.
Says the guy posting on a superhero-themed forum, claiming to be a big shot working for a studio?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #873
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Because I am, that's the funny thing dude. I'm around 23-25, have about the kind of connections anyone would dream of having, and on the fast track as a writer first and foremost. And no, I'm not claiming to be Hollywood - I'd rather die before I became "Hollywood," that's lame, that's phony. Nor am I stating I'm Michael Bay here. All I'm saying is that I'm somewhere within the system. That could be anyone and anything. And another thing that will piss you off, plenty of other dudes around my age are position within the top companies. The fact that you are so up in arms about that is kind of funny to me considering (actually cracking up over here because it is so common for someone my age with everything I stated before this post). Oh and yeah, like many others in the entertainment business now - I'm a nerd and proud to be a nerd. But, a nerd working in Hollywood nonetheless. As said, anyone can just go into my account and look up 'Wonder Woman' - where I talk yet clearly avoid copyrighted staples of Whedon's script - that's about as obvious as it gets.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 12-31-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #874
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly.

The truth is I'm as much of an insider as you guys in my home in New Jersey.

Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #875
Blackman
King Kong

"now is not the time for d*** measuring"-Liam Neeson

Seriously youre guys' argument is ridiculous

In other news: Congrats to Skyfall for making a billion

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote