Side-Kick

Default Re: Divided WB threatens DC films

I am 100% sure this will push back JL to 2016-2017

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #27
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Maybe Disney should try to buy out DCE (funny,at the time people were upset Disney buying MU....and now )

The Ironstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
Baramos
Side-Kick

Whoever thought these guys would cooperate has never read The Pardoner's Tale.

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #29
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

I think they'll start cooperating if Man of Steel is a huge success. I don't see this affecting JL's release date, because there's still a lot of prep time.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Edguy
Banned User

Nolan to oversee a comic universe sounds pretty stupid. What has he to do with comics, other than making a trilogy of action thrillers that happened to have a not-so-comicy comic book character in them?

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #31
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edguy View Post
Nolan to oversee a comic universe sounds pretty stupid. What has he to do with comics, other than making a trilogy of action thrillers that happened to have a not-so-comicy comic book character in them?
For someone who acts like they know so much about comics, you should pick one up sometime.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
Arach Knight
Abstraction of Logic

Dry Re: Divided WB threatens DC films

Warner Bros. has a poor track record with directly managing comic book films, but DC properties have had a somewhat better track record outside of superhero books. This includes V for Vendetta, Road to Perdition, RED, A History of Violence, Constantine and Stardust. Of the films named, Constantine and V for Vendetta are actual Warner Bros. productions and both were box office successes. Clearly, Warner has some clue aout comic book franchises. Teyjust lack consistency. I don't beleive the recent infastructure shuffle has really been helpful, though consoildation a la Marvel Entertainment was a wise idea in theory.

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/46178721/large.gif
Arach Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
For someone who acts like they know so much about comics, you should pick one up sometime.
One must not have read any comics to see that Nolan's TDK-trilogy aren't exactly comic book films. They're action thrillers, and good ones, but what would Nolan care about a DC Universe? Look at his track record; Inception, Memento, Insomnia.. He's not one to give a f**k about less dark and complex characters.

Last edited by Edguy; 11-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #34
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
From my understanding, and Im probably wrong, to make DC film there needs to be some level of collaboration between those 3 departments where the 3 competing suits are working. But since they have a "Screw you! I want the job" mentality, they arent really seeing eye to eye causing them not to collaborate to make the DC films.

...I think. Im not sure
I'm unsure what you're trying to say by "I want the job."

The FILM STUDIO WB sends the DC PROPERTIES to various PRODUCTION COMPANIES.

The problem here isn't "I want to make this!" it's "I don't agree with this, let's do it this way" over and over and over again.

The FILM STUDIO has one vision for the property. DC has another. The PRODUCTION COMPANY has another.

All three need to work together and find the same vision in order for it to work when it's still the production company "with the job." This is what causes problems and delays. You have this three-way tree.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer them to the best of my ability since I've seen the inner-workings of these second hand.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #35
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
One must not have read any comics to see that Nolan's TDK-trilogy aren't exactly comic book films. They're action thrillers, and good ones, but what would Nolan care about a DC Universe? Look at his track record; Inception, Memento, Insomnia.. He's not one to give a f**k about less dark and complex characters.
Ehhh no. Nolan used plenty of Batman comics for his movies. It's a known fact.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #36
Edguy
Banned User

That is not what I argued against. I said that the films weren't built like comic book films, not that they weren't based on comics.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #37
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
The FILM STUDIO WB sends the DC PROPERTIES to various PRODUCTION COMPANIES.

The problem here isn't "I want to make this!" it's "I don't agree with this, let's do it this way" over and over and over again.

The FILM STUDIO has one vision for the property. DC has another. The PRODUCTION COMPANY has another.

All three need to work together and find the same vision in order for it to work when it's still the production company "with the job." This is what causes problems and delays. You have this three-way tree.
This is what happened with Green Lantern and Jonah Hex movie.

Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
That is not what I argued against. I said that the films weren't built like comic book films, not that they weren't based on comics.
And what is this template?

The only thing that makes a film a comic book film is being based on a comic. Comic books and their genres are just as, if not more, varied than that of movies. The Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Sin City, Road to Perdition, 300, The Avengers, Green Lantern, Ghost World, Fantastic Four, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, and 30 Days of Night are all comic book films to the same degree. The Incredibles, Super, Hancock, Unbreakable, and Dark Man aren't.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #39
Edguy
Banned User

Then we have different opinions on the definition of comic book movie and movie based on a comic book.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #40
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think the bigger, and less controversial, issue is that Christopher Nolan has yet to show the skill or inclination to handle the broader DC, outside of those characters who already largely fit his established specialty in tone and style. Man of Steel *might* change this, or it might not. As it stands now? The idea of a Nolan Flash or Wonder Woman is somewhere between laughable and horrifying.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #41
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Nolan was a fan of Donner Superman movies and Goyer presented an interesting take on Superman, which he took to WB.

They wanted him to become a producer for the movie but I don't think he even wants to think about other DC properties, not even as an executive producer.

And if he is not interested, then it is time to get someone who is.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Caekzor
Nolanesque

It should be obvious by now that he's not interested. He said he's done with Batman so he's not going to be a producer on the next series and he's not going to direct Justice League. Lovers and Haters alike need to let it go.

Caekzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It's a shame Jonah Nolan is so busy with Person of Interest. I think he would be the perfect guy to oversee a cinematic DC universe, with maybe David Goyer at his side.

Actually, there was a recent interview with Jonah where he was asked if he'd ever consider doing another DC character and he said that they have so many great characters and he might like to take a shot at another one of them some day. He could have just been being diplomatic, but you never know. Jonah is the real fanboy in the Nolan family.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #44
Ibn
Side-Kick

I can't even come into an oh **** thread without it turning into a Nolan related thread.

But to get back on topic.....

Can I just say, damn? Damn?....

...Damn.

"I know what you want. You want to be Batman!"
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #45
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

At this point I honesty wouldn't mind Disney buying DC, occasionally fuse the universe with Marvel even. Better than having WB just standing there dick in hand.

Disney should just buy the world and be done with it.

Ultra Nolanite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #46
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I think that making quality Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman movies requires a Lot more effort than your usual Marvel Superhero movies.

In other words, it is a more challenging to make DC movies based on A list superheroes, so Any Studio will find it difficult, having said that WB's approach to these properties has been luke warm, which makes the problem worse.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #47
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Well here's a very interesting piece of information I've just learned from reading a book called Disney War. During the mid-90's Disney was looking at purchasing a network corporation, CBS and ABC were two of the candidates but there was also a third, more audacious one - Time Warner, that's right Time Warner, home to WB Studios and of course the DC stable of characters. Disney could very well have have ended up owning both Marvel and DC.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #48
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Superman has Lexcorp, James Bond has SPECTRE, we have Disney!

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #49
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I think that making quality Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman movies requires a Lot more effort than your usual Marvel Superhero movies.

In other words, it is a more challenging to make DC movies based on A list superheroes, so Any Studio will find it difficult, having said that WB's approach to these properties has been luke warm, which makes the problem worse.
one of the more nonsensical things ive read this week. thanks for the (half-hearted) chuckle.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #50
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post

I don't know, making Iron Man into a house hold name was no easy feat, but Marvel managed to pull it off. I am not sure that DC heroes are harder adapt on screen then Marvel heroes.

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote