The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #426
Nathan

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

From the Ultimate comics. They actually used their powers for a living. No idea if they ever turned bad or had any connection to Loki.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #427
JOE

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: Tie it in with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This thread is going to explode if Disney ever buys Spidey back.

Here's to optimism.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #428
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Here's to optimism.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #429
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Quote:

Here's to optimism.

Even something as simple as Sony and Marvel having a collaboration can make the entire fandom explode.
The situation with Fox ending in something like this would be a bigger explosion xD

GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #430
iGiFF
Side-Kick

This video does a great job explaining why Spider-Man is eventually going to be in the MCU.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

iGiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #431
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRangerPrimeNYC View Post

Even something as simple as Sony and Marvel having a collaboration can make the entire fandom explode.
The situation with Fox ending in something like this would be a bigger explosion xD
Well, they did and the fandom didnt really respond. Some did but most didnt.

When the news came out that Marvel wanted to create a unified skyline between Avengers and TASM, people didnt freak out, even though a unified skyline effectively place Spider-Man in the MCU. Many even maintained that a crossover of any sort still couldnt happen, despite notable reports to the contrary.

I don't think anything less than Spidey appearing in a MCU film or an MCU character appearing in an spidey film will cause the fandom to freak.

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #432
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

edit

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 12-31-2012 at 04:37 PM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #433
iGiFF
Side-Kick

"YOU'VE BECOME PART OF A BIGGER UNIVERSE, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET."

https://twitter.com/MarcW/status/296440822063312896

iGiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #434
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Sure would be nice.

It would be pretty easy for Marvel/Sony to incorporate the current series into the MCU given how heavily they based it off of the Ultimate comics. Peter's parents could easily have been SHIELD agents working with Oscorp to develop a genetic serum that could reproduce a super soldier. Other than that, just set the film a couple months before Iron Man appears and there you go.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #435
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGiFF View Post
This video does a great job explaining why Spider-Man is eventually going to be in the MCU.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Yeah, saw it a while back and it really brought up some great points. That's the reason I think it has a strong chance of happening for TASM2.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #436
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah, I never considered that the merchandising deal is the reason why Marvel was able to put subliminal Spider-Man hints into the Avengers. I really wouldn't be surprised if there were some clause in the agreement that stated Marvel Studios could use certain elements of the universe if not the character itself outright. So, even though we might fall short of seeing Spidey actually appear in The Avengers, a lot of the same locations and terms may be referenced to between the two. It's also interesting how heavily both films relied on the Ultimate comics; they could really almost work in tandem if you didn't know any better. Maybe the reason Webb is setting up the sequel to be even closer to the feel of the Spidey comics is because of this?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #437
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:

Here's to optimism.
I've learned to let the hopeless dreamers be

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #438
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Its not entirely hopeless. Bigger things have happened in this world.

If TASM2 or TASM3 fails in the box office, and Sony sees no profit in Spider-Man anymore, they would just sell him back to Disney/Marvel (or let the rights revert back to them). If Sony is desperate enough, they would try to "loan" him back to Marvel, or let them use him in a movie...

I doubt it will happen soon. But you never know.

Its also possible that based on that tweet from Marc Webb saying "Think Bigger," they are trying to make some kind of Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, which would mean they plan on keeping Spider-Man for... decades?

I think Spider-Man will be back at Marvel/Disney... its just not happening anytime soon. I feel very certain that he will be, whether its 10 years from now, or 20. Maybe 30. But eventually Sony is going to stop making Spider-Man movies.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #439
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Its not entirely hopeless. Bigger things have happened in this world.

If TASM2 or TASM3 fails in the box office, and Sony sees no profit in Spider-Man anymore, they would just sell him back to Disney/Marvel (or let the rights revert back to them). If Sony is desperate enough, they would try to "loan" him back to Marvel, or let them use him in a movie...

I doubt it will happen soon. But you never know.

Its also possible that based on that tweet from Marc Webb saying "Think Bigger," they are trying to make some kind of Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, which would mean they plan on keeping Spider-Man for... decades?

I think Spider-Man will be back at Marvel/Disney... its just not happening anytime soon. I feel very certain that he will be, whether its 10 years from now, or 20. Maybe 30. But eventually Sony is going to stop making Spider-Man movies.
I think the point we're getting at is that it can happen now without Disney completely owning the character because of the marketing rights agreement.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #440
JOE

Sony has no reason to sell Spider-Man. They made money off The Amazing Spider-Man, goal accomplished. TASM 2 will make money as well. To sell a money making franchise would be illogical. Sad but true.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #441
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Sony has no reason to sell Spider-Man. They made money off The Amazing Spider-Man, goal accomplished. TASM 2 will make money as well. To sell a money making franchise would be illogical. Sad but true.
I'm talking about the merchandising rights, they already sold those. The point of that video we were talking about is that it's pretty clear that when Marve/Disney bought the merchandising rights from Sony they included a clause in the contract that said they could use certain elements of the Spider-Man live action films in their movies.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #442
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I personally prefer if Spider-Man stays with Sony for now simply because Marvel is way too busy at the moment with many other projects and either won't have the time to make a Spider-Man movie or won't have the time to perfect a Spider-Man movie and make it to the best of their abilities. Sony doesn't have this problem because they're not busy with tons of other superhero projects at the moment. In fact, they have no other plans outside of Spider-Man at all for the moment (a new Ghost Rider movie won't be happening anytime soon, if at all).

There is also a bit of a fear factor for me involved. I'm not sure if I would trust Marvel at the moment with Spider-Man. They've had a horrible track record with Spider-Man recently in the comics and television mediums. After the movie reboot and The Spectacular Spider-Man (both being the top 2 Spider-Man adaptations outside the comics IMO), I have come to trust Sony with Spider-Man at least for the moment.

Kinda off topic but I sometimes feel that everyone is making Sony look worse than they really are. A lot of people are treating them as if they're the equivalent of Fox and I just don't see that. They're by no means a great studio that gave the fans always what they wanted but at the same time, I don't think they're the Fox-level jackasses everyone is making them sound like. I think Sony is overall an alright studio. They're not great but they're not bad either. They're just ok. And in reality, they haven't hurt Spider-Man overall as much as some people might think. Let's take a look at everything they directly interfered in with Spidey since they got the rights...

1) I'm not 100% sure whether this is true or not but for the sake of trying of making this list longer, I'm going to include this as well. I heard that Raimi originally had Dafoe wear the classic GG suit but Dafoe felt uncomfortable in it/didn't like it and requested for Sony to change the suit since Raimi didn't want it altered but like I said, I don't know whether or not this is true, partly true, or not true at all.

2) They cancelled the production of an Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon (based on the actual comic) in favor of that crappy MTV show that was only made to capitalize off the 2002 movie but the quality of The Spectacular Spider-Man made up for it big time IMO so I think we can forgive them due to that.

3) They wanted Raimi to hint at the symbiote in the third movie. That is it. They never at any point forced him to include Venom into the movie or to even have Peter wear the black suit. They just wanted the symbiote to be introduced. Raimi, however, wasn't a fan of Venom and knew that if he would've done this, the fans would've wanted him to continue with the Venom/symbiote stuff in the sequels so he wrapped up the whole symbiote story, killed Venom, and overall intentionally did him badly in the movie (which he admitted btw) so that he wouldn't have to deal with this in future films. So I guess you can say Sony is a bit responsible for Spider-Man 3 but Raimi is equally as responsible as Sony (or maybe even a bit more) for the movie being bad. His job as a director is to direct to the best of his abilities. I was never a big fan of the Vulture but if I was forced to somewhat include him in a movie, I would do it to the best of my abilities in order to please the fans.

4) They canned Spider-Man 4 and decided to reboot. If you did some research into the whole SM4 situation, you would realize this doesn't seem as bad as it sounds. Raimi originally tried to come up with a story and decided to have the Vulture as the main and only villain in SM4. Sony didn't like that idea because the Vulture couldn't carry a movie by himself especially after 3 movies where Spidey fought his more major rogues like GG, Doc Ock, Venom, & Sandman (let's face it - this is a valid point Sony made). Raimi realized this was a valid point and then came up with the idea to have Felicia Hardy in the movie but not as the Black Cat but as the Vulturess, Toomes' daughter. No one would've liked that and it would've been a repeat of SM3. Sony didn't like the idea either and told Raimi that. Raimi then realized that he had no way of making SM4 to the best of his abilities especially considering that he had other projects on the side so he walked away from the whole thing (a wise decision IMO). Bringing in a new director for SM4 wouldn't have been a good choice either because both Maguire and Dunst said they wouldn't be doing SM4 if Raimi didn't return. Thus Sony was left without their director and top 2 lead actors and already had a script/outline of a reboot hanging around so they went with that. So the best decision for everyone here was to reboot.

These are pretty much all the times when Sony directly interfered with their Spider-Man properties. The main reason I think Sony gets so much crap for reasons other than Ghost Rider is because they decided to reboot Spider-Man. That is what I think it mostly comes down to - Raimi fanboyism. Because the reboot is not directed by Raimi and it's not the previous franchise, Sony is now the equivalent of Fox and their biggest failures are the equivalent to Fox's Elektra and Dragonball Evolution.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #443
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Sony's not going to sell the movie rights, but since their relationship with marvel is good I do think they're collaborating behind the scenes.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #444
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

People need to keep in mind that Spidey being integrated into the MCU is not necessarily a good thing. It has potential to be done well but there are also many problems you will run into. Problems such as Spider-Man not being much of a team player and working best solo, the Spider-Man movies being turned into Avengers promos like how all the Marvel solo films were other than IM1 and TIH thus hurting the quality of Spidey's films overall, and the potential burying of lesser known Avengers characters like Black Panther or Ant-Man or Vision due to Spidey stepping in their spotlight (maybe even take everyone's spotlight).

Although there are chances of Spidey being brought into the MCU, let's all remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for" because there are also chances he could be brought into the MCU and have both the Spider-Man movies and Marvel Studios movies be affected in a negative way. This could go either way.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #445
Nathan

If Spider-Man ever gets brought into the MCU, I hope it's only for a big event, like a final battle and he doesn't stick around after that. I prefer him solo.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #446
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
People need to keep in mind that Spidey being integrated into the MCU is not necessarily a good thing. It has potential to be done well but there are also many problems you will run into. Problems such as Spider-Man not being much of a team player and working best solo, the Spider-Man movies being turned into Avengers promos like how all the Marvel solo films were other than IM1 and TIH thus hurting the quality of Spidey's films overall, and the potential burying of lesser known Avengers characters like Black Panther or Ant-Man or Vision due to Spidey stepping in their spotlight (maybe even take everyone's spotlight).

Although there are chances of Spidey being brought into the MCU, let's all remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for" because there are also chances he could be brought into the MCU and have both the Spider-Man movies and Marvel Studios movies be affected in a negative way. This could go either way.
Like I said in another thread, I don't think it's necessary (or works for that matter) for Spidey to be in the Avengers for him to work in the MCU. Just drop little easter eggs here and there to make it clear they're in the same universe, which Marvel/Sony sort of did or tried to do with The Avengers and its one-shot short.

And I like the point you brought in your other post. You're right that Sony gets a lot of unfair criticism and has a bad rap for circumstances that were largely outside of their control. They did the best they could with a very crappy situation. I think Sony execs do understand what makes a good Spidey film and who are the right people to do it, and they're also willing to make concessions and work with Marvel. There's a reason their relationship with Marvel is a lot better than Fox's relationship with Marvel. As far as I can tell Fox regularly thumbs its nose at Marvel and won't even attempt to work with them on compromise. They refused to give Marvel the rights to Galactus and SS back out of spite basically (because let's be honest, there's not a whole lot they can do with those two with only FF and X-Men).

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #447
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Like I said in another thread, I don't think it's necessary (or works for that matter) for Spidey to be in the Avengers for him to work in the MCU. Just drop little easter eggs here and there to make it clear they're in the same universe, which Marvel/Sony sort of did or tried to do with The Avengers and its one-shot short.
I agree. That would be the way to do it but let's hope both Marvel and Sony know this. Them not knowing this is what I am talking about when I say that this could end up bad for both Spider-Man and the Avengers.

Also, what one-shot short did they drop TASM references in?

Quote:
And I like the point you brought in your other post. You're right that Sony gets a lot of unfair criticism and has a bad rap for circumstances that were largely outside of their control. They did the best they could with a very crappy situation. I think Sony execs do understand what makes a good Spidey film and who are the right people to do it, and they're also willing to make concessions and work with Marvel. There's a reason their relationship with Marvel is a lot better than Fox's relationship with Marvel. As far as I can tell Fox regularly thumbs its nose at Marvel and won't even attempt to work with them on compromise. They refused to give Marvel the rights to Galactus and SS back out of spite basically (because let's be honest, there's not a whole lot they can do with those two with only FF and X-Men).
Exactly. Like I said before, it mostly has to do with Raimi fanboyism. They are just as bad as Fox now because they rebooted Spider-Man and because the movie was not directed by Raimi and didn't have the original cast.

I really don't know what people wanted Sony to do in the SM4 situation. But then again, I don't think most people are actually aware of everything that happened. I think they just heard from other people or read off a blog that one day, Sony was simply like "**** you, Raimi! You're gone! We want to make Sony Presents Sony's Spider-Man! By Sony! and you can't do anything about it! Muahahahahahaha !" LOL

Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #448
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Also, what one-shot short did they drop TASM references in?
Item 47 where the guy had an ESU T-Shirt on.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #449
BatsDC
Tranktastic

I don't get why everyone assumes Spidey being a part of the MCU means he becomes an Avenger. It doesn't. It just means they coexist together, references can be made, Oscorp can factor into the other movies, as can AIM, Hydra etc. into Spidey's films. I'd expect a cameo, yes, but highly doubt even if a deal was made for TASM and its sequels to exist in the MCU that Spidey would be an Avenger.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #450
Anno_Domini
Banned User

People assume that because so far all we've seen from the MCU films is all the heroes teaming together in the end(except for War Machine). If the rumor is true about Iron Man even being in the GotG film, then all signs point to the Guardians showing up in Avengers 2.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote