The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #101
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Pepper Potts as Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
personally, I am on your side on this whole debate.

but could you do me a favor and ellaborate a bit on the part I bolded?
Yeah, I'll elaborate: disregard the items in bold, for the most part.

There's been recent news that shoots down the whole Chen Lu rumor altogether, so there's not gonna be a Chen Lu, or a Radioactive Man, or a group of Chinese armored heroes attached to Chen Lu. Again: disregard.

Firepower: still up in the air. Ashley Hamilton was supposedly cast as Jack Taggert (Firepower) a long time ago, but we haven't heard the first inkling about that yet. So, this late in the game, I'm inclined to believe that rumor went belly up, too.

Coldblood: is definitely in it. But the jury is still out on what he'll look like, because the only images we've seen of JBD so far are in an air force dress uniform. I *suspect* he takes on Mallen's role from the Extremis comic series, in which case he may well just look like an ordinary guy (but with Extremis-ized superpowers).

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #102
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, I'll elaborate: disregard the items in bold, for the most part.

There's been recent news that shoots down the whole Chen Lu rumor altogether, so there's not gonna be a Chen Lu, or a Radioactive Man, or a group of Chinese armored heroes attached to Chen Lu. Again: disregard.

Firepower: still up in the air. Ashley Hamilton was supposedly cast as Jack Taggert (Firepower) a long time ago, but we haven't heard the first inkling about that yet. So, this late in the game, I'm inclined to believe that rumor went belly up, too.

Coldblood: is definitely in it. But the jury is still out on what he'll look like, because the only images we've seen of JBD so far are in an air force dress uniform. I *suspect* he takes on Mallen's role from the Extremis comic series, in which case he may well just look like an ordinary guy (but with Extremis-ized superpowers).
oh alright. I remember hearing about firepower a long time ago. Though, I haven't heard anytihng of her recently. Seeing you include that, along with others, I was like..wait what have I missed? haha but thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #103
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
oh alright. I remember hearing about firepower a long time ago. Though, I haven't heard anytihng of her recently. Seeing you include that, along with others, I was like..wait what have I missed? haha but thanks
Okay, but Ashley Hamilton/Firepower isn't a "her."

Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #104
Ryder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
Those who are familiar with comics probably know that at one point Pepper gets turned into cyborg superheroine Rescue. That happens because she's seriously injured during explosion so Tony must put magnet into her chest. She also gets her own suit that she uses to escape from Stark Industries when under attack.
Seeing the explosion in IM3 trailer got me thinking. Wouldn't it be cool to have Pepper turn into Rescue? And then have her own spin-off movie?

I know it's unlikely because studios are deathly afraid of female superhero leads. But one can hope, right?
YES to Pepper becoming Rescue. Looking forward to it.

No to her having her own spin off movie, we would have just seen 3 Iron man movies, 5 years of those movies, no point in doing a female "iron man" movie, kind of repetitive.

Better to give Black Widow a movie, or mockingbird or one of the Xmen ladies like storm, rogue, phoenix etc.

Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #105
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder View Post
YES to Pepper becoming Rescue. Looking forward to it.

No to her having her own spin off movie, we would have just seen 3 Iron man movies, 5 years of those movies, no point in doing a female "iron man" movie, kind of repetitive.

Better to give Black Widow a movie, or mockingbird or one of the Xmen ladies like storm, rogue, phoenix etc.
Never going to happen...much to my anger.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #106
Verbal21
Side-Kick

No to an entire Rescue movie, but it'd be totally up for maybe one of those 10-15 short films about some random adventure. Maybe add it to the IM3 blu-ray?

Verbal21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #107
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I don't think a Rescue movie would work. What would work would be a Ms. Marvel or Black Widow movie.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #108
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

I don't think this would be good for the character, the way she's portrayed in the movies.

One thing that I like about movie Pepper is that she can be intelligent and strong in some ways, while still being a little "girly." She's an equal partner to Tony in their relationship, and she's the more sensible and responsible one who can call him on his crap. But she can still get flustered and display vulnerability.

Something that stood out to me in Iron Man 2 was how she contrasted with Natasha Romanoff. When the two of them confronted Justin Hammer, Pepper talked tough without sounding "tough." She was willing to call the cops, but she was shocked when Natasha got physical.

I love both of them as characters, and it's nice to have that kind of contrast. The last thing I want for this character is for her to turn into another ass-kicking Action Girl.

Also, "Rescue" is a pretty cheesy name.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #109
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Two words.
Character.
Development.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #110
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

She doesn't need a suit to develop as a character.

DJ Kornphlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #111
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Neither did Rhodey, but he got one anyway.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #112
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Seeing Pepper in her own suit on screen would be ridiculous. I thought it was a little dumb when they did it in the comics, even under the brilliant Matt Fraction.
So if they are going to do ever do it, it will be several years down the line.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #113
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Neither did Rhodey, but he got one anyway.

Rhodey *did* need a suit, because that was his comic-book story. Both as War Machine, *and* extensive runs as Iron Man himself while Tony was wasted in absentia. War Machine has been a major character in the Marvel Universe, and a popular enough one to get his own series. Rescue is a more recent invention, and far from popular in comic-book fandom.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #114
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kornphlake View Post
Considering her boyfriend is a very wanted man by murderous villains, it makes more than enough sense to give her a suit.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #115
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

However that isn't character development.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #116
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Considering her boyfriend is a very wanted man by murderous villains, it makes more than enough sense to give her a suit.
Lois Lane and Mary Jane Watson don't have special suits. Does that make Supes and Spidey irresponsible bastards?

In the comics, Pepper wasn't given the Rescue armor for some dumbass reason like "I need to give my girlfriend some protection." Hell, she's not even Tony's girlfriend in the comics; she's his CEO, and Happy's wife. (Or widow.) The Rescue armor came about because Pepper wound up getting the same kind of "heart problem" Tony had, which makes not only the *suit* derivative, but the backstory as well.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #117
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Lois Lane and Mary Jane Watson don't have special suits. Does that make Supes and Spidey irresponsible bastards?

In the comics, Pepper wasn't given the Rescue armor for some dumbass reason like "I need to give my girlfriend some protection." Hell, she's not even Tony's girlfriend in the comics; she's his CEO, and Happy's wife. (Or widow.) The Rescue armor came about because Pepper wound up getting the same kind of "heart problem" Tony had, which makes not only the *suit* derivative, but the backstory as well.
Just because they didn't doesn't mean she can't and change the back story a bit, no biggie

Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #118
Just one more
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
+ 1

Quote:
Lois Lane and Mary Jane Watson don't have special suits. Does that make Supes and Spidey irresponsible bastards?.
Um, how can you even compare the two? Tony's superpower is that he smart and rich and can build suits of armor. Could Supes or Spidey even build a "special suit"?

Quote:
She was given an arc reacter in her chest as she was hurt by someone who came to kill tony and destroy what he cared about.

The suit of armor was designed to protect her in case this ever happened again. For some reason you think that would be "dumbass" and she should remain unprotected.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #119
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
She was given an arc reacter in her chest as she was hurt by someone who came to kill tony and destroy what he cared about.

The suit of armor was designed to protect her in case this ever happened again. For some reason you think that would be "dumbass" and she should remain unprotected.
Everyone in Stark's organization --- hell, everyone Stark's ever known --- has had their lives threatened (and even taken) by Iron Man's enemies. Tony never saw fit to build suits for them, either.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #120
Just one more
Side-Kick

Yes they have at one time or another. Pepper is different in that she is in danger far more often than those you mention.

Tony is also in love with her. I'm sure he cares about those other people around him but he is not in love with them. People do crazy things to protect the people they love, I'm sure Tony is no exception.

If you are a supervillain, what's the best way to hurt a superhero who's identity is public to the world? IMO it would be going after the people they love.

Just one more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #121
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just one more View Post
Yes they have at one time or another. Pepper is different in that she is in danger far more often than those you mention.

Tony is also in love with her. I'm sure he cares about those other people around him but he is not in love with them. People do crazy things to protect the people they love, I'm sure Tony is no exception.

If you are a supervillain, what's the best way to hurt a superhero who's identity is public to the world? IMO it would be going after the people they love.
Not in the comics world, Tony isn't. In love with Pepper, that is. In the comics universe, Pepper was just a friend who was married to another friend, Happy. (It's only been since the movie came out in 2008 that Marvel conveniently wrote Happy out of the picture and made Pepper a widow to free her up for Tony.) The MCU dropped that angle and turned Tony and Pepper into an item (because it's RDJ and Gwyn....who wouldn't want that?)

But even in the context of the MCU, and disregarding comic book canon, the idea of giving Pepper an iron suit is disrespectful to both Tony *and* her.

It's disrespectful to Pepper's character in that it makes her weak: is she so much of a pantywaist damsel-in-distress that Tony needs to keep her permanently locked up in a steel cage to keep her safe? And why the hell would Pepper even agree to it? She's an on-the-go head of a major corporation, and is always in the public eye....having to walk around in an IM suit all the time makes her look weak, like a walking target, or even makes her look like a superhero, which is something she's not and never wanted to be.

And it's disrespectful to Tony's character because it makes him look like he's thinking with his dick. "No, I won't bother building suits for my other friends or family or valued workers or anybody else I might care about, but I don't mind building one for my shawty." And that paints an even bigger bullseye on Pepper, because Mandarin and every other enemy would surmise that she's the only person Tony gives a damn about besides himself.

You guys are reading Tony's line in the trailer about "protecting the only thing I care about" as meaning he wants to build Pepper a high-tech chastity belt or something. Instead, the answer is probably much simpler and more dramatic: it indicates that there'll come a point in their relationship in this movie where both Tony and Pepper will have to recognize that the only way for her to stay safe is for Tony to distance himself from her, and call their relationship quits.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #122
Zeerola
Side-Kick

Quote:
Instead, the answer is probably much simpler and more dramatic: it indicates that there'll come a point in their relationship in this movie where both Tony and Pepper will have to recognize that the only way for her to stay safe is for Tony to distance himself from her, and call their relationship quits.
Because that wouldn't be disrespectful at all.

Zeerola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #123
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerola View Post
Because that wouldn't be disrespectful at all.
Sacrificing your happiness with a person you love for the sake of that person's safety is...disrespectful?

I'm not sure you understand what the word "disrespectful" means.

Actually, I agree with cherokeesam. Tony and Pepper may love each other, but they will eventually have to recognize that Iron Man puts Tony and his loved ones in constant danger, and always will until Tony gives it up.

Considering Tony basically need Iron Man in order to justify his own existence at this point, I'd say it's more likely that Tony and Pepper split on good terms when they recognize that Iron Man isn't going anywhere. This, of course, frees Pepper up to pursue Happy and bring things closer to the comic.

As far as Rescue...I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of it appearing or of Pepper donning the suit in IM3. However, I think Pepper would not enjoy using the suit and the use of it would further her realization that she's not on the same page as Tony, who is practically addicted to using his Iron Man armor.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #124
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

Quote:
You guys are reading Tony's line in the trailer about "protecting the only thing I care about" as meaning he wants to build Pepper a high-tech chastity belt or something. Instead, the answer is probably much simpler and more dramatic: it indicates that there'll come a point in their relationship in this movie where both Tony and Pepper will have to recognize that the only way for her to stay safe is for Tony to distance himself from her, and call their relationship quits.
Maybe the thing he is protecting is IronMan, the legacy he has created. Hopefully the film isn't just a story of Tony and Pepper.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #125
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJack View Post
Maybe the thing he is protecting is IronMan, the legacy he has created. Hopefully the film isn't just a story of Tony and Pepper.
I don't think it will be. There's a LOT of scenes in the trailers so far that don't feature Pepper at all, and a good bit of them that show Tony alone. Most of the interviews and write-ups about the movie so far tend to zero in on that feature --- the fact that Tony *will* be alone in this movie, and back to his proverbial cave. I also remember reading that Gwyn said she doesn't have a big role here.

I still strongly, strongly suspect that Pepper dies, period. Nothing would leave Tony more alone than that.

But on that note, I'll throw a (bitter) bone to those still holding out for Rescue armor, and leave you with this passing thought on the idea of Tony putting Pepper in an Iron Man suit to keep her "safe":

....maybe Tony *does* put her in an Iron Man suit to keep her safe from his enemies. And maybe we see that very thing happen in the trailer. When Mandarin's faux news choppers attack the Malibu mansion, it could very well be that Tony has Pepper hastily don his suit to escape....

....and that's actually her we see in the Iron Man suit that gets dragged to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.