The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Were you shocked at the Talia reveal?
Yes 9 17.65%
No 42 82.35%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Gotham Knight
Watchful Protector

Default Was I the only one shocked during the big reveal?

I know being as big of a Batman fan as I am, I shouldn't have been. That I should have seen the obvious Talia name cover up, just like with Ra's in Begins. But I was so intensely into the movie towards the end, that knowing the history of the comic books and knowing that Miranda had to be Talia, it's like my brain couldn't acknowledge it when Batman was interrogating Bane about "THE TRIGGA!!!."

Then when she stuck the knife through him, you would have thought that I had no idea that Talia was a character in the DC universe. I even thought that Batman was possibly going to die by hanging(when Bane was covering his neck with the noose). I guess I assumed that in the end Catwoman would someone show up to foil the plan at the last moment. But it really didn't make sense thinking for more than 5 seconds about that as a potential ending. And I was too wrapped up in the moment and not wanting Batman to really die in the film, that I couldn't look that much into it. It played out too fast for my brain to make recognition of it all.

I guess I get sucked into movies sometimes, and all that reading of spoilers and stuff just goes out the window when I'm actually focused and watching the movie. Anyone else shocked at the twist?

Gotham Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Was I the only one shocked during the big reveal?

It was one of the most unsurprising movie twists I've ever seen. Clear as day pics of Cottiard in LOS garb walking casually with armed LOS men were all over the net a year before the movie's release.

One of the worst kept secrets for a movie.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Gotham Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
It was one of the most unsurprising movie twists I've ever seen. Clear as day pics of Cottiard in LOS garb walking casually with armed LOS men were all over the net a year before the movie's release.

Well see, I hadn't seen those pictures. I just knew about the rumors. That's a really different situation you were in. I was referring to people that didn't know it as fact.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Just_Human
Side-Kick

I knew she was going to be Talia even before the pics of Marion wearing LOS clothes came up

I mean, Cotillard could easily pass for an Arab woman (one of my friends is from Algeria, and his mom is a carbon copy of Marion; yeah thats one hot milf)

Plus, Miranda Tate ..... sounds made up lol ......but srsly, "Tate" ... "tÍte", which means "head" - Talia Head- in French, and Marion is French.
See what they did there ?

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Even after all the set photos and The Hollywood Reporter and Devin Faraci's story rumors (chart), a lot people still doubted Talia was in the film on the forum. I dealt with them all the time. The number of doubters shrank last year before release.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 01-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Gotham Knight
Watchful Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
I knew she was going to be Talia even before the pics of Marion wearing LOS clothes came up

I mean, Cotillard could easily pass for an Arab woman (one of my friends is from Algeria, and his mom is a carbon copy of Marion; yeah thats one hot milf)

Plus, Miranda Tate ..... sounds made up lol ......but srsly, "Tate" ... "tÍte", which means "head" - Talia Head- in French, and Marion is French.
See what they did there ?
Those sneaky...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
TheGuy
Side-Kick

A bit. Never saw the pic too and only heard about the rumors. "Restore balance..." was a hint she's Talia.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I avoided all types photo leaks with Marion in LOS gear but with countless rumors of her being Talia I wasn't surprised at all.

I was a bit confused when up till that big reveal Nolan had us fooled in thinking Bane was Ra's Al Ghul's son.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

It was baffling to me how easily people here predicted the entire plot of the film. Except maybe JGL's role (a lot of us were convinced of his villainy). Despite how fluidly the dots connected, we were in denial, telling ourselves the plot couldn't be that predictable, that it was Nolan!

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Not as bad a secret as the one of Ducard being Ra's, since they goofed on the initial press release, and then the script leaked a year before the movie's release. Like father like daugher eh?

To me, Tate= Talia was no more of a twist than Dent becoming Two-Face. The thing was, with Dent I was waiting for the turn the whole time whereas with Talia I honestly stopped waiting for it to happen because I didn't want to disappointed if it didn't. When the reveal happened, it actually did shock me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
TheBat812
Side-Kick

I had accidentally read the rumor that Tate was going to be Talia, but honestly they did a great job of making me doubt myself as the film went on, and I was definitely surprised when they did the reveal. I really liked all the small hints through her dialogue throughout the film that work both in context and as hints that she knows more than she's letting on.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

I was aware of the Miranda/Talia rumours, but I believed that Bane was the child who escaped the prison, and then I thought that he and Miranda/Talia were brother and sister. I thought the revelation that Miranda was Talia would come about differently than it did, so I was surprised when it was revealed that Talia was the child in the prison.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If you saw the pics of "Miranda Tate" in LoS garb, then you were spoiled as I was, but when you didn't, as my brother, he was surprised at the reveal and asked if I expected it too which I told him about the set pics, ALTHOUGH...I still enjoyed the reveal scene as I love the dialogue and it's one of the best scenes in TDKR, imo.

And there are also some who didn't see the set pics and still expected the twist as my friend who saw it the day after the midnight showing and that was his first time seeing TDKR and he said he expected that twist. Either he was lying or not, I didn't ask, but I wouldn't be surprised if people expected some reveal without even seeing the set pics online.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I had accidentally read the rumor that Tate was going to be Talia, but honestly they did a great job of making me doubt myself as the film went on, and I was definitely surprised when they did the reveal. I really liked all the small hints through her dialogue throughout the film that work both in context and as hints that she knows more than she's letting on.
This.

I saw the photos. The moment they start to speak about Ra's heritage its obvious for Batman fans yet Nolan made me doubt until the reveal.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I was aware of the Miranda/Talia rumours, but I believed that Bane was the child who escaped the prison
I knew it was Talia because of the rumours surrounding Joey King (the girl playing young Talia)

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

To me the bigger shock was that she was actually revealed as TALIA. It was pretty clear to me on the first viewing that she had a hidden agenda and was probably associated with the LoS, but I wasn't sure if she was just going to remain a mystery or end up being a villain but not named as Talia. Since Catwoman didn't get the namedrop I thought it was entirely possible that she could just be a Talia-inspired character but not actually Talia. Glad I was wrong though.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Just_Human
Side-Kick

What if Nolan decided to go with Nyssa instead of Tatelia ?

Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It would definitely be from left field as Talia is a much more known character than Nyssa.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
It was baffling to me how easily people here predicted the entire plot of the film. Except maybe JGL's role (a lot of us were convinced of his villainy). Despite how fluidly the dots connected, we were in denial, telling ourselves the plot couldn't be that predictable, that it was Nolan!
I had myself convinced the plot wouldn't be so obvious. Trust Nolan blah, blah, blah.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Nolan raped my adulthood!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I unfortunately saw the set pictures. But, during the film, I forgot about them. I forgot all the way up until I saw the collar of a robe like Ra's on Talia during a close up.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #22
RLYHYPERGUY
Side-Kick

I actually convinced myself that Nolan wouldn't do it, and I kept telling myself that throughout the movie. I was pretty shocked when it actually happened. Denial is the only cure for spoilers.

RLYHYPERGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I had myself convinced the plot wouldn't be so obvious. Trust Nolan blah, blah, blah.
Remember when Devin Faraci broke the news that Talia and Bane would lead the LOS in their return to Gotham and would be lovers? We all mocked him. Fuming, we all cried that Nolan won't be that uninspired.

The only thing he got wrong was JGL's role.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I was never one that got pissed off about it.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #25
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Devin's report said that Batman would be taking on Bane while Catwoman took on Talia in the climax. I was fine about the Bane and Talia angle, only was dreading a guy v guy/girl v girl scenario. So he got that wrong. And Bane and Talia weren't lovers either.

I'm starting to really hate spoilers, it really does eat away at the joy of watching movies when things get taken out of context. Glad I'm completely spoiler free so far for Man of Steel, Star Trek and Iron Man 3.