The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 12-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #651
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Default Re: Characters you'd like to see in future Avengers movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Why?
At least with the Spider-Man/Wolverine arguments, we *know* that other studios have the rights to the characters and have built box-office franchises around them. As for Wanda & Pietro, NOBODY has put them on film yet. And Feige specifically stated long ago that they're legally available to both Marvel Studios for Avengers AND to Fox for X-Men.
they're also established classic Avengers characters.. why wouldn't they be used in an Avengers film?

Last edited by Christopher_M; 12-25-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Christopher_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #652
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
they're also established classic Avengers characters.. why wouldn't they be used in an Avengers film?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #653
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Brief note on the non-Marvel-owned properties...

I would love for Spidey to be in the MCU in some capacity. Alas. Same for the FF, but obviously not as part of Avengers, proper, but in some kind of collaborative role. Then again, if Marvel had the rights to the Fantastic Four, a GotG movie would never have been made. Hmmm.

Also, I don't much care for the rigid Avenger/not Avenger dichotomy. I like to think of it more like individuals/characters that 'exist' in the MCU, who might need to fight alongside a larger group if the level of threat warrants it.

So, I don't care if Spider Man is a 'card carrying' member of the Avengers or not. It just could be that he's needed in a particular situation and is called upon to save/fight someone or the other.

Also, no X-Men. None! The concept of mutants as part of a greater Marvel universe is problematic enough. The concept of mutants as part of a greater Marvel universe and not to have acknowledged them yet is quite insane.

But I digress...

Last edited by fixxxer; 12-27-2012 at 08:30 PM.
fixxxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #654
Christopher_M
League of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
dude, I speak of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver who Marvel Studios can use.. sarcasm noted..

Christopher_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #655
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Spidey appears in Avengers
Hulk/Iron Man appears in Spidey movie

Win win?

I'm Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #656
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #657
fixxxer
Side-Kick

On future characters...

1. Black Panther: Minus some of the troublesome and outdated aspects Marvel's portrayal of African culture.

2. Vision: But without the density shifting BS. That aspect never did make sense to me. I'm a little torn about the Pym-->Ultron-->Evil Vision-->Good Vision creation chain. On one hand, if the upcoming Ant Man movie does not focus on Ultron, then when can we expect to see Vision? On the other, getting Vision while skipping Pym/Ultron altogether doesn't quite feel organic.

3. Pym/Janet: Presented without comment. Well, scratch that... no Giant Man, only shrinking. I get the feeling that the whole becoming-a-giant aspect of Pym was merely a contrivance since a guy who's only power is to become really tiny was simply not interesting/superhero-y enough to generate enough comic book sales. I trust Edgar Wright enough to make Ant Man compelling enough.

4. Dr. Strange: But more because it would make for a compelling solo movie than Dr. Strange playing well with Stark and co. I would also like for a logical exploration of his powers and their limits. Else this would just play as Strange ex machina.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #658
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
On future characters...

1. Black Panther: Minus some of the troublesome and outdated aspects Marvel's portrayal of African culture.

2. Vision: But without the density shifting BS. That aspect never did make sense to me. I'm a little torn about the Pym-->Ultron-->Evil Vision-->Good Vision creation chain. On one hand, if the upcoming Ant Man movie does not focus on Ultron, then when can we expect to see Vision? On the other, getting Vision while skipping Pym/Ultron altogether doesn't quite feel organic.

3. Pym/Janet: Presented without comment. Well, scratch that... no Giant Man, only shrinking. I get the feeling that the whole becoming-a-giant aspect of Pym was merely a contrivance since a guy who's only power is to become really tiny was simply not interesting/superhero-y enough to generate enough comic book sales. I trust Edgar Wright enough to make Ant Man compelling enough.

4. Dr. Strange: But more because it would make for a compelling solo movie than Dr. Strange playing well with Stark and co. I would also like for a logical exploration of his powers and their limits. Else this would just play as Strange ex machina.
I'd love a Doc Strange solo movie, not so keen on him being in the team.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #659
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

Definitely Black Panther. With him, it's bringing in an awesome character, vibranium, royalty (Earth-based), stealth.

Tristan_McClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #660
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd love a Doc Strange solo movie, not so keen on him being in the team.
Yea, agreed. Like I said (though, maybe on the wrong thread ) I don't necessarily want to see him on the Avengers team-proper, but would love to see Dr. Strange in an Averngers movie. On one hand I'm not sure a solo Dr. Strange movie would work, but on the other, I don't think you can introduce him into the universe without a solo movie.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #661
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

I wouldn't mind some easter eggs such as a newspaper with a photo of Spider-Man in Avengers 2. I don't necessarily want him on the team.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:32 AM   #662
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Venom View Post
I wouldn't mind some easter eggs such as a newspaper with a photo of Spider-Man in Avengers 2. I don't necessarily want him on the team.
Venom, it's not going to happen.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #663
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

You know, all this talk of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Dr. Strange etc., appearing in an Avengers sequel has me scratching my head.

Yeah, i know Bendis has decided to make practically every Marvel character under the sun an Avenger these days in the comics, but honestly there are several key members from the Avengers comics earliest days that deserve to be on the big screen by virtue of their seniority and contributions to AVENGERS mythology:

Hank Pym
The Wasp
Quicksilver
Scarlet Witch
Black Panther
Hercules
The Vision
Wonder Man
Ms. Marvel

Hell, X-Men's Hank McCoy deserves a spot in an Avengers sequel long before Wolverine and Dr. Strange do.

Strange, Wolverine, Spider-Man...they were brought into the comics simply as eye candy to boost comic sales.

The Avengers movie has eclipsed the X-men and Spidey movies in ticket sales.

They aren't needed here.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #664
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird
They could rent the rights for one movie, for a fee. Sony would get a payday out of it, and they could continue making their films the way they want.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #665
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

It won't happen

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #666
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

That Iron Man and Sony's Spider-Man managed to be in the same commercial, has to mean something. They were already willing to use the Oscorp Tower in Avengers, which only fell through because there was no time anymore. I don't think that easter eggs such as a newspaper photo are that out of the question anymore.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #667
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Seriously. It needs to stop, it really does

Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #668
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

If Dr. Strange is introduced in the MCU, I think he'll show up in an Avenger movie. The general audience would be confused as to why this awesome, powerful sorcerer isn't joining the team. Plus, Marvel would use the modern comics as to why he'd be on the team.

Though, I don't think it'd last for long. I can see Marvel trying to do a Defenders spin-off in the future.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #669
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

I think it would be a good idea to have Dr. Strange appear in a future Avengers before a solo movie...but either way its beyond time to get the Sorcerer Supreme kicking butt on the big screen!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #670
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
That Iron Man and Sony's Spider-Man managed to be in the same commercial, has to mean something. They were already willing to use the Oscorp Tower in Avengers, which only fell through because there was no time anymore. I don't think that easter eggs such as a newspaper photo are that out of the question anymore.

Iron Man and Spider-Man in the same commercial means only one thing: Sony sold Spidey's merchandising rights to Disney over a year ago. Therefore Disney controls the use of Spider-Man's image in commercials as well as the sales of toys, clothing and other merchandise featuring him and characters from his universe. The sale happened because Sony was so desperately cash-strapped that it was forced to give up its most lucrative merchandising asset for a quick infusion of money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...ys-awkward-q2/

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #671
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000
Iron Man and Spider-Man in the same commercial means only one thing: Sony sold Spidey's merchandising rights to Disney over a year ago. Therefore Disney controls the use of Spider-Man's image in commercials as well as the sales of toys, clothing and other merchandise featuring him and characters from his universe. The sale happened because Sony was so desperately cash-strapped that it was forced to give up its most lucrative merchandising asset for a quick infusion of money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...ys-awkward-q2/
I don't really want him as an Avenger. I'd love to have them connected though. That's what I've been saying all along. I just want there to be a hint that they exist in the same universe and proof that they do.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #672
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think Dr. Strange should appear in an Avengers film without joining the team. A contact, with some explanation for his continual non-involvement other than "We don't like Bendis' Avengers." Wolverine's cameo in XMFC is a good start, but I would like it if Strange gives them some asset or pointer or something before retreating off to some other dimension or returning to gathering his energies for the next interdimensional conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
... it's a billion and a half dollar franchise pure win-win for both studios..

Q: Now that The Avengers has done so well, it seems like the other studios with Marvel properties can see the advantage of making a deal. Can you see a world where this generation of X-Men could be in an Avengers movie?
Here's my question: Why would Disney/Marvel want those characters back? They are making a ton of money without them. Why would they pay money to make money they're already making? With characters whose continuities don't even fit with the MCU? That's not a win-win for the studios. The only people who profit from such deals are Fox/Sony and fans who like to imagine what's happening off-screen and between films.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #673
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I think it would be a good idea to have Dr. Strange appear in a future Avengers before a solo movie...but either way its beyond time to get the Sorcerer Supreme kicking butt on the big screen!
I think we'll finally see him in Phase III. Marvel's been talking about him for some time, hopefully they'll finally be able to put the good doctor on the big screen!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #674
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think Dr. Strange should appear in an Avengers film without joining the team. A contact, with some explanation for his continual non-involvement other than "We don't like Bendis' Avengers." Wolverine's cameo in XMFC is a good start, but I would like it if Strange gives them some asset or pointer or something before retreating off to some other dimension or returning to gathering his energies for the next interdimensional conflict.

Here's my question: Why would Disney/Marvel want those characters back? They are making a ton of money without them. Why would they pay money to make money they're already making? With characters whose continuities don't even fit with the MCU? That's not a win-win for the studios. The only people who profit from such deals are Fox/Sony and fans who like to imagine what's happening off-screen and between films.
To be fair: Marvel Studios are making a mint off any movie that has Iron Man in it. Spidey and Wolverine blow the doors off the box office of any other Marvel Studios character. It's not hard to understand why they could profit from adding Parker and Logan to their stable.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #675
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Well, the fact that in X2 we see the names "Maximoff" on screen may answer the rights question