The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #526
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Default Re: The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

I've been using Go Launcher EX since October when I rooted my Bionic. Absolutely loved the customization and having an ICS theme before ICS. However, it's become annoying. It gets updated almost weekly, sometimes more than once. Each update feels like it just makes it more sluggish and unresponsive.

I wanted to experiment with others but one thing I loved about Go Launcher was how quick and easy it was to add apps. Others you have to add them one at a time from the app drawer (though there was one that let you add multiple at once, forget which).

First I tried Nova Launcher, but it didn't align widgets and icons well and you had to buy the full version to resize icons. Tried ADW, but didn't like it that much since it had the same problem. Tried Apex and have stuck with it. It seems to have the most options for the free version compared to ADW and Nova. I still had issues with getting margins set and having widgets and shortcuts match well. Then I decided to just go from 4x4 screens to 5x4 as most new phones are now and everything is better. Didn't want to add more shortcuts so I added a couple widgets and changed my main one to be 4x2.

One thing I was going to miss from Go Launcher was their exclusive switch widget for WiFi, Data, etc. My phone doesn't have that in the notification bar. Beautiful Widgets doesn't have a bar you can use, only 1x1 widgets for each. HD Widgets (bought that) has one you can customize, but there's only one theme out now (Glass) which I don't like since it's transparent. There's a Switch Pro widget which I bought and returned within the 15 min. It wasn't bad but didn't seem very responsive.

Then I FINALLY found the perfect app for this: Power Options. What's great about this is not only is it free and customizable, but it allows you to add the toggles to the notification bar when you pull it down like a lot of phones have now. I still use a widget but the option is also great.

Here's the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.painless.pc

Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #527
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I hope the petition does something (it most likely won't). In the mean time, I've grown used to "Bing"ing for stuff, using Nokia Maps and Drive and I love MetroTube.
Ew...lol.

My friend is a huge WM/WP user, and once his contract is up, he's moving to Android. He has an Android tablet, so he likes the experience and that's what's mostly swaying him away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
I've been using Go Launcher EX since October when I rooted my Bionic. Absolutely loved the customization and having an ICS theme before ICS. However, it's become annoying. It gets updated almost weekly, sometimes more than once. Each update feels like it just makes it more sluggish and unresponsive.
I use Go Launcher EX extensively after trying out different launchers, and settled on this one for the sheer amount of customization that can be done.

I haven't had any lag issues that you've been having, so I don't know what it could be. If you didn't do a factory reset before getting ICS, then that may be an issue as some of the apps that retain old data could affect it negatively.

When you turn it off does it act the same, or is it snappier? I would try that out first and play around with it a while without EX applied to see if it makes a difference.

I'm slightly annoyed by the updates, but that means the launcher is getting a ton of support. So the constant updates address the issues faster and even though it may not be noticeable on the surface, the updates could fix minor problems that make it better. I would research what the latest update you have for it is and see if anyone else has had problems. Maybe email the dev team to bring it to their attention?
Quote:
I wanted to experiment with others but one thing I loved about Go Launcher was how quick and easy it was to add apps. Others you have to add them one at a time from the app drawer (though there was one that let you add multiple at once, forget which).
Like I said above, I didn't have a good experience with the other launchers. The best thing about Go Launcher is the ability to have extra dock icons. You can have up to three docks with five apps each for a total of fifteen. What made this even better is that I discovered that the gesture feature for an app on the dock can be assigned to other apps, which gives you access to thirty apps now, all without having to go into the app drawer or scrolling through your home screen pages.

Since then I've cleaned up my home screen to be very minimalistic, and where I used to have seven screens filled with crap, I cut the fat down to five. Each screen has no folders or anything like that. Just minimal. I'll take pictures later, but it's really nice.

Quote:
One thing I was going to miss from Go Launcher was their exclusive switch widget for WiFi, Data, etc. My phone doesn't have that in the notification bar. Beautiful Widgets doesn't have a bar you can use, only 1x1 widgets for each. HD Widgets (bought that) has one you can customize, but there's only one theme out now (Glass) which I don't like since it's transparent. There's a Switch Pro widget which I bought and returned within the 15 min. It wasn't bad but didn't seem very responsive.

Then I FINALLY found the perfect app for this: Power Options. What's great about this is not only is it free and customizable, but it allows you to add the toggles to the notification bar when you pull it down like a lot of phones have now. I still use a widget but the option is also great.

Here's the link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.painless.pc
For an actual switcher, I used Widegtsoid. It's an amazing app, and you can even put your Widgets for Wifi, Data, Etc. into the Notifcation pulldown, so you can access at any time. It's also fully customizable. I'm always switching, so it's made things a lot easier for me. I've never tried Power Options, but if it works for you, then that's great.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #528
Kane52630
Nightcall User

So I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 a week ago and it's pretty damn awesome. I was wondering if there's any apps that are essential to have.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #529
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

So... I upgrade next month. I'm torn between the new Galaxy and the iPhone 5. I've had the Inspire for 2 years and I've been less than impressed with it. The only reason I'm leaning toward the iPhone is the market place and my iTune library obviously. I've also messed around with my brothers and it's blazing fast.

I'm just worried that if I get another HTC phone they'll stop supporting it... Again.

But the Galaxy being a bigger (well... Wider) phone almost sells me alone...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #530
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, I've owned an iphone and currently have a Note 2, and I'd probably say just go with the iphone if you're only looking at a galaxy.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #531
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
I use Go Launcher EX extensively after trying out different launchers, and settled on this one for the sheer amount of customization that can be done.

I haven't had any lag issues that you've been having, so I don't know what it could be. If you didn't do a factory reset before getting ICS, then that may be an issue as some of the apps that retain old data could affect it negatively.

When you turn it off does it act the same, or is it snappier? I would try that out first and play around with it a while without EX applied to see if it makes a difference.
I didn't do a factory reset after ICS. Since you have a Droid Bionic, too, how did you do it? What should I backup (and how) before doing it to make sure I don't lose anything important? I have Titanium Backup Pro which should help.

Quote:
I'm slightly annoyed by the updates, but that means the launcher is getting a ton of support. So the constant updates address the issues faster and even though it may not be noticeable on the surface, the updates could fix minor problems that make it better. I would research what the latest update you have for it is and see if anyone else has had problems. Maybe email the dev team to bring it to their attention?
Like I said above, I didn't have a good experience with the other launchers. The best thing about Go Launcher is the ability to have extra dock icons. You can have up to three docks with five apps each for a total of fifteen. What made this even better is that I discovered that the gesture feature for an app on the dock can be assigned to other apps, which gives you access to thirty apps now, all without having to go into the app drawer or scrolling through your home screen pages.
Other launchers still get support though. With every Go Launcher update, it always felt like it was getting a little bit slower and unresponsive each time.

Quote:
Since then I've cleaned up my home screen to be very minimalistic, and where I used to have seven screens filled with crap, I cut the fat down to five. Each screen has no folders or anything like that. Just minimal. I'll take pictures later, but it's really nice.
I haven't come across anything I could do in Go Launcher that I couldn't in Apex other than use Go Launcher exclusive widgets. I cleaned up my home screens too and was able to go from 5 to 3. I could probably use 2 but I like having my wallpaper centered on the home screen.

Here's my setup now

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #532
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Here's my setup now
Really, what's the point of having a nice wallpaper when all your apps cover it up? One of my biggest problem with iOS, and why I prefer Android.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #533
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

It's the B89 poster not a painting masterpiece. I always prefer dark backgrounds and probably could just go with all black but I like having a logo or something in the middle. I've used the Batman logo, the Triforce, Assassin's Creed Logo, Game of Thrones logos. Just simple stuff.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #534
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Right now I got a matrix live wallpaper running up.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.matrix2pro

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #535
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
Ew...lol.

My friend is a huge WM/WP user, and once his contract is up, he's moving to Android. He has an Android tablet, so he likes the experience and that's what's mostly swaying him away.

Good for him, I like both Android and Windows Phone. I'm currently looking at a Nexus 10 or 7 tablet. Unless, Nokia's tablet really wows me.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #536
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
So I got my Samsung Galaxy S2 a week ago and it's pretty damn awesome. I was wondering if there's any apps that are essential to have.
If you root, Titanium Backup Pro is essential. I never buy apps or games, but this is worth the money.

Here's my must-haves. Some of them coincide with the simplicity of my screen layout, so it may be for you or may not be:

aCalender
Advanced Clock Widget
Alarm Clock Xtreme Free
Android Terminal Emulator
Brightest Flashlight Free
Circle Battery Widget
Dolphin Browser HD
Elixer Widgets
Equalizer (makes your sound a lot better when listening to Pandora/Slacker/TuneIn/IHeartRadio apps)
ES File Explorer
Fancy Widgets
Go Contacts Widget
Go Contacts EX
Go Launcher EX
Go Weather EX
Handcent SMS (best text app ever with lots of customization)
jetAudio Basic (basically a Cowon player on Android for free, which is awesome and has a ton of audio tweaks, but the downside is that it only applies to the player)
Key Ring Rewards Cards (any card you have on your key chain in one simple place)
Not Call Log 2
Pandora
Phandroid
Quadrant Standard Edition (benchmark testing app)
SeekDroid Light (Icon is the Android dressed up as James Bond! When enabled it allows you to track your phone in you lose it)
Simple Calender Widget
Slacker Radio
SoundHound (better than Shazam, IMO)
Tango (Skype sucks on Verizon, and the Verizon version is ****, so Tango is the next best thing)
Titanium Backup
Trapster (if you drive this thing rocks, as it tells you where cameras and speed traps are)
TuneIn Radio (better than IHeart Radio)
Verizon Fios Mobile Remote
Volume Locker
Widgetsoid

Everything is used, which looking at it now, is very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
So... I upgrade next month. I'm torn between the new Galaxy and the iPhone 5. I've had the Inspire for 2 years and I've been less than impressed with it. The only reason I'm leaning toward the iPhone is the market place and my iTune library obviously. I've also messed around with my brothers and it's blazing fast.

I'm just worried that if I get another HTC phone they'll stop supporting it... Again.

But the Galaxy being a bigger (well... Wider) phone almost sells me alone...
CES is next week, I'd wait for the new phone announcements before making a decision. Either way, play with the phones in store and see which you like better.

My wife has the HTC Thunderbolt and it's support is ****. She's not getting HTC again until they get their act together.
Quote:
I didn't do a factory reset after ICS. Since you have a Droid Bionic, too, how did you do it? What should I backup (and how) before doing it to make sure I don't lose anything important? I have Titanium Backup Pro which should help.
Your gmail saves all your apps, so when you go into the Play Store, you just have to install them all again. TBP will save your setting, so you can import them back after install.

I used this guide:
http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-...ml#post3207009

Follow the instructions carefully, and make a Nandroid backup in case you need to flash back.
Quote:
Other launchers still get support though. With every Go Launcher update, it always felt like it was getting a little bit slower and unresponsive each time.
I didn't mean that other launchers don't, sorry for that confusion. Like I said, maybe shoot them an email about it to see if it's a problem because I haven't seen any lag with updates.
Quote:
I haven't come across anything I could do in Go Launcher that I couldn't in Apex other than use Go Launcher exclusive widgets. I cleaned up my home screens too and was able to go from 5 to 3. I could probably use 2 but I like having my wallpaper centered on the home screen.
I like the live widgets, so it's probably why I haven't switched either. I still haven't found a launcher like EX that allows you to have thirty apps on the bottom dock yet, so
Quote:
Here's my setup now
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
What's that Volume Control widget on the top left called? That's pretty awesome.

Quote:

Good for him, I like both Android and Windows Phone. I'm currently looking at a Nexus 10 or 7 tablet. Unless, Nokia's tablet really wows me.
It's crazy because he went from Symbian to WP, and loves the simplicity of it. He's worried about future support I think, so he's trying to play it safe.

Here's my screens, minus my Favorite Contacts and Temp/Management Screens:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-01-03-14-24-25.jpg (80.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-01-03-14-24-36.jpg (84.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-01-03-14-24-45.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)

Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #537
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Thanks man, Yeah I was looking at Titanium Backup yesterday I wasn't totally sure if I want it on my phone but I love to root so I guess I'm getting that. I tried the GO Launcher EX app but it wasn't for me, one home screen is good enough.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #538
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Thanks man, Yeah I was looking at Titanium Backup yesterday I wasn't totally sure if I want it on my phone but I love to root so I guess I'm getting that. I tried the GO Launcher EX app but it wasn't for me, one home screen is good enough.
If you want to root and are addicted to it like myself, it's worth the one time price.

Even if I had one screen, I'd probably still use EX because of access to thirty different apps on the bottom dock.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #539
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I found EX pretty terrible. It's like they tried to just be too fancy and convenient and ended up simply being cluttered and ugly looking.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #540
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I found EX pretty terrible. It's like they tried to just be too fancy and convenient and ended up simply being cluttered and ugly looking.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #541
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Well, looks like Microsoft has an official YouTube app ready but Google not allowing it to use its services.

http://www.wpcentral.com/youtube-acc...-down-gauntlet

Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #542
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, looks like Microsoft has an official YouTube app ready but Google not allowing it to use its services.

Well maybe microsoft guy shouldn't have opened his mouth.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #543
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Old 01-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #544
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Even though I really like the looks of it, does anyone else think the new BB Z10 looks a lot like an iPhone 5?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #545
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

not as blatant as the S2

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #546
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
No clutter here.
Quote:

They'll eventually give in me thinks.
Quote:

Even though I really like the looks of it, does anyone else think the new BB Z10 looks a lot like an iPhone 5?
I haven't seen the pics of the new BB's, and I like the simplicity of the design, but it's way too uninspired and Apple will definitely sick the dogs on RIM.

I also don't like the huge Blackberry logo on the bottom.

Anyway, from what I've been reading about this year, Sony will be the one to look out for with Android devices.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #547
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I've used the apps you have, you have a ton of clutter.

Nova Launcher - in association with a few other various programs - is the best launcher I've used; because it's basic, easy to use and configure a clean presentation that runs quickly and efficiently if you know what you're doing.

Of course, I'm lazy and have never actually gotten around to modding it as much as I need to.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #548
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Couldn't believe that Gazelle buyback only wants $12 for my HTC Evo Shift. My old phone is basically the cellphone version of a Buick.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #549
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

those buyback sites are a giant scam tbqh. They lowball you no matter what

Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #550
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I've used the apps you have, you have a ton of clutter.
I don't see how there's a ton of clutter when my home screen only has Calender, Clock, Battery and Weather widgets on the main screen.

Like I said with the other screens, I could probably put my music players screen or weather screen as a folder, but I like the live widgets (especially Slacker's because I can add favorites from the widget without opening the player itself).
Quote:
Of course, I'm lazy and have never actually gotten around to modding it as much as I need to.
Stop being lazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte_Sun View Post
Couldn't believe that Gazelle buyback only wants $12 for my HTC Evo Shift. My old phone is basically the cellphone version of a Buick.
Going by ebay, it seems slightly below the average for a used one.