4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #251
Filmboy
Banned User

Default Re: Les Miserables: One Thread More!

Eponine is my favourite character. I can really relate to her....loving someone who doesn't love you back.

"On my Own" is my favourite song from the movie.

Filmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #252
Earthland
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Brett Ratner is the director of Rush Hour 1-3, Red Dragon, X-men 3, etc.

Basically, he's a hack that makes Michael Bay look like an artist. I feel that Tom Hooper gets the same kind of results, albeit with more high-quality and intelligent material.
Oh .... that is quite unfair. I like Tom Hooper's work. Especially in this movie.

Earthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #253
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrain View Post
When is Glee going to do some songs from this musical?

I Dreamed a Dream was in Season 1.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #254
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Red Dragon is better than anything Bay has ever done.

Movie Review Site:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #255
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
This, and I like Rush Hour more than Bad Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #256
cabel
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't disagree, but this kind of proves my original point about Hooper. Rather is an at best average director, but when given great material like Red Dragon, along with great actors like Ed Norton, Ralph Fiennes, and Anthony Hopkins reprising an iconic role, even Ratner and produce a really good movie.

By comparison, while I think Bay is a better and more talented director than Ratner, he tends/prefers to work with lesser subject matter.

If there's any great talent that Hooper posses, is that he's able to make up for most of his flaws by knowing how to pick his projects.

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #257
CaptainCanada
Shield of the True North

Apart from race on stage historically being much less important, a black police inspector would not have been unimaginable, though not ordinary. Alexandre Dumas' father was a general in Napoleon's armies some decades earlier.

CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #258
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

^ This. There were/are a lot of black Frenchmen, immigrants from its African colonies.

Though I don't imagine high-ranking black police/military officers would have been commonplace.

Movie Review Site:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #259
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
I refuse to drag this thread down into a discussion about Michael Bay vs. Brett Ratner. It's like putting Heinz ketchup and A1 sauce on filet mignon.

However, if you haven't seen Michael Mann's Manhunter, go see it. Then think about Red Dragon, and see how Ratner can take great subject matter and manage to make it passably mediocre.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #260
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I do think Red Dragon is mediocre.

But I think "mediocre" is better than most of what Bay has done.

Movie Review Site:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #261
Earthland
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabel View Post
If there's any great talent that Hooper posses, is that he's able to make up for most of his flaws by knowing how to pick his projects.
Uh, let's see ... I remember that when I saw the King's Speech in the cinema, I thought that this is so awesomely beautiful movie - not that there was anything beautiful to look at, but the way it was captured was somehow magical. I didn't even know that there is a special word for that - namely, cinematography, and I haven't seen any other film that would make me feel this way. I'm still impressed with the film itching in my mind, although I have seen it only once.

The thing is, Hooper is actually innovative and those who read from some stupid textbooks how camera should be hold just don't want to get used to it. This is my take on the Les Mis criticism also.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #262
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthland View Post
Uh, let's see ... I remember that when I saw the King's Speech in the cinema, I thought that this is so awesomely beautiful movie - not that there was anything beautiful to look at, but the way it was captured was somehow magical. I didn't even know that there is a special word for that - namely, cinematography, and I haven't seen any other film that would make me feel this way. I'm still impressed.

The thing is, Hooper is actually innovative and those who read from some stupid textbooks how camera should be hold just don't want to get used to it. This is my take on the Les Mis criticism also.
THANK YOU. Hooper getting compared to Brett f***ing ratner is is just an insult to the man. Whether you like hoopers creative decisions or not, he does them for a reason, he puts actual thought into them, he doesn't just shoot in Dutch angles because they 'look cool' or something. Brett ratner is a point and click studio instrument. Hooper, whether his style jives with you or not, Is an artist.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #263
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
What are everybodys top 5 favorite songs?
1. One Day More
2. I Dreamed a Dream
3. Look Down (both beginning and in Paris)
4. On My Own
5. At the End of the Day

The only thing that would change in the movie is One Day More would be lower. They did a good job visualizing it, but it is much more powerful when the whole ensemble is singing on the same stage.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #264
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthland View Post
Oh .... that is quite unfair. I like Tom Hooper's work. Especially in this movie.
I have liked everything I've seen of Hooper--John Adams, The King's Speech and Les Miserables--but they all suffer from the same problems. He uses awkward close-ups, mostly bland compositions through tight short lenses and randomly, to the point of distraction really, throws in a dutch angle about every 90 seconds.

It is a very bland style that is noticeable only in how odd it sometimes is. But he gets great stories and great actors who he can direct very well.

--John Adams
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #265
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
What are everybodys top 5 favorite songs?
This is just from Les Miserables in general (the show, the movie, all-encompassing)

1. One Day More
2. Stars
3. Do You Hear The People Sing?
4. The Confrontation
5. Master of the House

Who Am I?, I Dreamed A Dream, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, On My Own, and Javert's Soliloquy would round out the top ten.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #266
cabel
Side-Kick

I did not mean to imply that Hooper was as bad a director as Ratner. Despite my mixed opinions of him, I do consider him to be a far better director than Ratner would ever aspire to be. I also admit that I may just be that guy who "doesn't get" Hooper.

My criticisms Of him aren't based just on stuff I read in books. Above everything, I try to judge a director based on how well he tells a story. Does he keep me engaged throughout the length of the movie? Does he succeed in making me feel the emotion of the moment? Does the story flow from moment to moment? And in my opinion, a number of Hooper's creative decisions, be they his choice in camera angles, his use of focus, close ups, the way he shoots coverage (or lack thereof), or editing , either fail to do so or take me out of the movie.

cabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #267
Earthland
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
He uses awkward close-ups, mostly bland compositions through tight short lenses and randomly, to the point of distraction really, throws in a dutch angle about every 90 seconds. It is a very bland style that is noticeable only in how odd it sometimes is.
I can't understand how can something be bland and odd at the same time. I know some of the camera angels were very odd, but (for someone who really doesn't know about cinematography) it made the film very interesting. Close-ups felt completely natural. I read one Estonian cinematographer's criticism, who wrote that "all scenes became equal in terms of cinematography", which probably is horrible for those who have actually learned cinematography. I mean, learning cinematography is all about how to tell the story through the way camera moves. But it doesn't tell us if that is what we actually need. Les Mis is such a unique source material, where we don't need the camera to tell us what is important and what is not - it's all about actors and their performances. I think it worked brilliantly.

As for the songs, how could we choose between them? Really? I can only tell that Jackman made me love "soliloquy", a song I have never paid attention to. After he demonstrated the difference between singing it "as written" and what he could add to it, all the other renditions became painfully boring.

Last edited by Earthland; 01-04-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #268
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I mean it is visually uninteresting and not that different from any workmanlike television director (where Hooper got his start) save for the random Dutch angle. It is a very flat, bland composition that has shallow depth because he almost exclusively uses a short lens and the only thing to punctuate it is when the camera is at 45 degrees which gives a distorted feeling for no real apparent reason. So, it looks like the more average stuff on HBO save for a random wide shot that looks odd. It is not a style that really inspires or surprises. It just leaves me shrugging.

--John Adams
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #269
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

When you compare Hooper to the other auteur-style directors this year, from Ang Lee to Wes Anderson, Hooper just can't hold a candle to them. Hooper knows how to pick great projects, but isn't that good of a director for the acclaim he receives. Sorry if that offends people, but I just don't see it any other way.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #270
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

The best thing that Hooper brought to the film (besides the cast) was the live singing. Other than that, there are other directors that probably could have done a better job, stylistically speaking.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #271
theShape
Creature of Darkness

"Off-putting" is the way that I would describe Hooper's directorial style, especially with Les Miz.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #272
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
The best thing that Hooper brought to the film (besides the cast) was the live singing. Other than that, there are other directors that probably could have done a better job, stylistically speaking.
Agree with you there.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #273
narrows101
Side-Kick

Third and last time tomorrow for me, with a cousin who has never seen the stage show and I'm sure doesn't know the music or read the book.

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #274
CGHulk
Green Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
Third and last time tomorrow for me, with a cousin who has never seen the stage show and I'm sure doesn't know the music or read the book.
I'm going for the first time tomorrow to see the movie. I'm going with my cousin who hasn't seen the stage play, but two weeks ago I let her barrow my 10th and 25th anniversary performances on DVD and also the Liam Neeson film too. She's called me a few days ago telling me that she now can't wait to see the movie!

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #275
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Really? I think it worked in this film, for the most part. As much as I love the film, it would have been much better if they chose which moments to sing live, and other moments to record. Certain songs suffer greatly from the live singing.

I know they kept talking about how "revolutionary" it was... even though its been done many many times in the past . But I'd cringe if every musical that's going to be made from here on out decided to follow Les Miz with the live singing.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote