The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #476
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Rucka Punisher ongoing discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObakeTora View Post
It was nice to see Wolverine go to bat for Frank like that, I still wonder why he's allowed to join the Avengers whilst Frank will get sent to the T-bolts. They both have their fair share of body counts don't they? Correct me if I'm wrong when Wolverine says "some people deserve to die" shouldn't that have gotten him kicked off the team? Maybe I'm nit-picking too much.

I liked the fight with Black-Widow, and I'm surprised she didn't mention anything about their encounter in Punisher War Journal volume 1 issue 9.

http://marvel.wikia.com/File:Punishe...al_Vol_1_9.jpg

I always wondered why she suddenly took in interest in Frank during that issue? Maybe she wanted to jump his bones??? Anyway, I wish the fight had been more drawn out, I think the whole issue could have been dedicated to a fight between Punisher and BW, but what I saw was decent enough. The highlight of the issue was when Frank got the drop on her, I'll add that to the roster the next time I decide to do a "Punisher's most gangster moments" thread. I can't wait to see how Frank handles Thor.
Wolverine's allowed on the team because, when he's portrayed correctly, he's not totally consumed by murderous rage like the Punisher is. Wolverine is capable of being merciful and letting people go if Cap orders him to, basically. The Punisher has pursued a single-minded war on crime for years and kills literally every criminal he meets without compunction. Wolverine doesn't do that. He'll kill--a lot, if he's not told otherwise--but he can still be told otherwise. Frank can do that on occasion, like we saw with the Daredevil/Spider-Man crossover, but he can't keep it up long-term.

Granted, I personally think X-Force, if nothing else, should've gotten him booted off the Avengers in a heartbeat. But that's just me. Clearly, Cap is a little more diplomatic.

Anyway, this issue was good. It was nice to see Black Widow have a heart for once instead of being the cold-blooded spy like she's portrayed everywhere else. I'm obviously looking forward to the next issue, though. Thor!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #477
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I think Frank is gonna pull a fast one on Thor like he did Widow but it's gonna def be a damn interesting exchange for sure.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #478
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Short of Frank actually defeating Thor in hand-to-hand combat somehow or lifting Mjolnir himself, I think I'll be fine with however Rucka has him 'beat' Thor. I mean, he won against the Black Widow by just playing on her humanity rather than straight-up out-fighting her, which could at least have some plausibility in her case, so I think Rucka's taking care to make sure the fights remain respectful to all the characters involved. I'm not too worried that Thor's gonna look like a chump.

I'm more interested to see what Rucka's recent comment about how Thor's "interest is piqued" with Frank is going to be central to the mini means.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #479
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I'm more interested to see what Rucka's recent comment about how Thor's "interest is piqued" with Frank is going to be central to the mini means.
I'm sure he's heard of him fighting Ulik, and maybe he will see a fellow warrior in Frank. Going back to what you said earlier about Frank not being trusted, I'm sure they could select him to be a part of larger than life missions where those being killed are animal like aliens and huge robots? But, yea, it makes more sense on him being on the Thunderbolts, although I expected Frank to put up more of a fight as he seemed to readily eager to trust Rulk.

Tweeted to #RuckaWriter

"Not trying to nag you Greg, but Punisher deserves a rematch from Civil War."

I'm sorry but I really believe Punisher could pull a win on Cap. Given the stark contrast between WW2 and Vietnam, and the supernatural determination Frank has to complete the mission. I love Cap but I think he needs to be brought down to Earth a peg, as Punisher fighting the Avengers would reexamine the JLTAS stance on non-powered heroes to keep them honest. Cap exists in a world where he fights fictional monsters, and a real encounter with Frank would remind him of who the real monsters really are.

Last edited by ObakeTora; 12-14-2012 at 03:12 AM.
ObakeTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #480
Spikes
Vendetta

I'm a Punisher fan for years and i hate Cap, but no way in hell he could handle Cap unless he uses some kind of a "trick" or with some prep time like he has doing in War Zone, in that issue in particularly Cap wasn't in good health in fact in that time he was fighting a degenerative desease.

He don't need any vengeance from Civil War he won that battle in a philosophical way which in my opinion is more effective than beat someone up.

Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #481
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!

Good point, but I don't remember Cap having a degenerative disease in this encounter.

ObakeTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #482
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Wasn't that the Pariah storyline? That spun directly out of Suicide Run, those were fun times to be a punisher fan, 4 ongoings and a crossover with Batman! Blood and Glory was a good crossover with cap too. I never really liked the Punishers involvement in civil war, although Frank got the spotlight it didn't seem true to the character

Looking forward to Thor meeting next issue, it can't just be a straight fight. Been looking forward to this for years so I hope its something unexpected. Its especially good that Giandomenico's art make this feel like a Journey Into Mystery cross over.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #483
Spikes
Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObakeTora View Post
Good point, but I don't remember Cap having a degenerative disease in this encounter.
In the "Pariah" storyline and in the fight with Cap there is a sidenote that says that Cap is fighting a degenerative desease.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #484
Spikes
Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post

Wasn't that the Pariah storyline? That spun directly out of Suicide Run, those were fun times to be a punisher fan, 4 ongoings and a crossover with Batman! Blood and Glory was a good crossover with cap too. I never really liked the Punishers involvement in civil war, although Frank got the spotlight it didn't seem true to the character
I guess 3 ongoings (Punisher, War Journal, War-Zone) was too much for a character like the Punisher they should include all the stories in one book. But yeah the early 90's till mid was a good time to be a Punisher fan, gladly i grow up in that era.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #485
fat freddys cat
Side-Kick

Always liked this picture of Frank and Cap

I hated the Civil War beat down cap give Frank , and Frank took it and then frank taking his mask at the end of civil war and being this ?!?!!?!

What a load of shiiiiiiiit

fat freddys cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #486
Kable24
Member of the NRA

I've been avoiding coming in here for comic discussions, but I need to know. Since War Zone isn't finished yet and Thunderbolts is out and I was taking that the Punisher being on the T-Bolts was what happens at the end of War Zone or are they two separate things?
I really want to read Thunderbolts, but I don't want to spoil War Zone.

Kable24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #487
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Its not been made clear, it really could be the same or separate. There has been nothing mentioning Rucka's run so far which is kinda a pity but Thunderbolts feels different. You'd be fine for the first two issues at least.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #488
Kable24
Member of the NRA

Cool thanks, because I've been dying to dig into it and read it.

Kable24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #489
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

OK well enjoy, they were better than I was expecting and Frank gets a few good lines. Punisher vs Thor next!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #490
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Speaking of which here's a preview http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=14747

Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #491
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat freddys cat View Post
Always liked this picture of Frank and Cap

I hated the Civil War beat down cap give Frank , and Frank took it and then frank taking his mask at the end of civil war and being this ?!?!!?!

What a load of shiiiiiiiit
I liked the beatdown Cap gave the Punisher while Frank just takes it. The Captain America Punisher outfit on the other hand.....that was just dumb.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #492
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/0...s-thunderbolts Punisher and Elektra gettin' it on!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #493
UnionJack
In training at MI:13

I was a HUGE Punisher Max fan, but since Ennis left I kind of lost track of what was the main and good Punisher series to run. Is this a good catching up point from that series. I like the idea of Frank with the T-Bolts and REALLY glad they are getting a new artist, never did like Dillons art style on the gritty stuff.

http://www.crhodesdesign.com/

UnionJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #494
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Well its been good so far so worth giving it a try. To be honest there hasn't been a lot of good Punisher comics since Ennis left. Rucka's run is really the only highlight Punihser War Zone #3 is out on wednesday you should give it a try. Perhaps an aquired taste but its been good. Aaron's Max run was very poor.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #495
UnionJack

Quote:
Well its been good so far so worth giving it a try. To be honest there hasn't been a lot of good Punisher comics since Ennis left. Rucka's run is really the only highlight Punihser War Zone #3 is out on wednesday you should give it a try. Perhaps an aquired taste but its been good. Aaron's Max run was very poor.
Yea I read some of Aaron's Punisher but didn't work for me and I normally like his stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #496
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

I notice your avatar - you know Death's Head is in the next issue of Iron Man apparently? I think thats pretty awesome!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #497
UnionJack

Quote:
I notice your avatar - you know Death's Head is in the next issue of Iron Man apparently? I think thats pretty awesome!
I was hoping with all this Marvel Now stuff they would try an Avengers Europe or something to bring MI:13 into action again. Need some comics not get in America or Thors realms.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #498
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

^ Remender's 616 run was pretty awesome, too, IMO. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Aaron's run was sub par.

In other news, thank God Dillion is off T-Bolts. Looking forward to the new art. I've quite enjoyed the series so far.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #499
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Dillon is gone already? Who's replacing him?

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #500
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
In other news, thank God Dillion is off T-Bolts. Looking forward to the new art. I've quite enjoyed the series so far.
Amen to this. Now way just needs to up the ante to keep up with the better art