The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > The Comics

Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Iron Man's personality

I really know Iron man from the movies, and not so much from the comic books. My question is, what is his personality like in the comic books, and how does it differ from the movies?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: Iron Man's personality

I would also like to know. I have never read the comics but would just read up on Stark and the only reason I even liked him was because he was an alcoholic like myself. I thought that was a big part of his character. Not in the movies though. It seems like it's not even start anymore and just downey coming onto set and being himself. When was the last time you think he thought of what Stark would do and not what I would do?

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
I would also like to know. I have never read the comics but would just read up on Stark and the only reason I even liked him was because he was an alcoholic like myself. I thought that was a big part of his character. Not in the movies though. It seems like it's not even start anymore and just downey coming onto set and being himself. When was the last time you think he thought of what Stark would do and not what I would do?
Exactly. As much as I love RDJ's Tony Stark, it feels like he is just acting as... himself.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Where would I begin??! Comics Tony is not nearly as flamboyant, dare I say as "flighty", as RDJ's over-the-top Tony, at least not the 616 Tony. Ultimate Tony is closer in some ways, but there's still significant difference between them. Sure he lives fast and hard and goes for the finest life has to offer, but sometimes I'd even call comics Tony "grounded" and "down to earth" by comparison. He can be much more take charge and aggressive, he can be a real leader! someone the other heroes really want to follow. One of the biggest differences I saw, is that comics Tony knows how to brood like Batman when he gets into a darker mood. Movie Tony, even when he's down he's not "down" like that.

Of course I get there are serious constraints on what you can do in just the span of a couple movies, and comics Tony has decades of experience on his movie counterpart, but if he had enough time I believe he might mature into that guy.

Last edited by dru-zod2501; 01-09-2013 at 03:34 PM.
dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Picard Sisko

Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Exactly. As much as I love RDJ's Tony Stark, it feels like he is just acting as... himself.
Acting close to yourself doesn't mean it can't be great acting though.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Picard Sisko

I never said it wasn't great acting.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
In an interview after the People's Choice Awards, RDJ said that he sometimes goes into character at awards shows and for interviews because it's just easier and more fun that way. Downey is not "playing himself" in those movies, he's playing Tony Stark whenever he's on stage.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
the last son
Side-Kick

I think he is. We can agree to disagree.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

too bad that movie Spidey and movie Tony will "never" meet, not during the Downey era, anyway..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
FrozenBanana00
Side-Kick

Pretty much RDJ. Tony Stark and RDJ are the same person lol

FrozenBanana00 is offline   Reply With Quote