The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #76
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: MCU-ize Marvel Characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The main challenge to incorporating the Raimi films straight, is that while they totally fit in tone, its hard to see the actual *events* not drawing SHIELD's attention. Particularly the first one, seeing as it involves a super soldier research program that gets hijacked.

It *would* help explain why no one ever broke Peter Parker's identity, though ( Coulson: "Okay, someone just uploaded his picture to the web. Zap that." ).
Well they let Ross/Banner pursue their Super-Soldier thing for the Air Force. Maybe they let the Army rely on Oscorp. They always knew it'd fail.

I think what would have really gotten Oscorp's attention is a mad scientist with metal arms and the ability to build a WMD running loose in NYC or a giant sand monster growing as tall as a building.

Honestly, the biggest question mark would be why doesn't SHIELD try to enlist Peter or why he doesn't show up to major events like the alien invasion or Hulk and Abomination "breaking" Harlem? Then again, the comics always have that problem as well.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #77
Zoken
Side-Kick

Well Spider-Man you aren't entirely wrong. I was just thinking we don't need the exact comic book costume. I was just thinking if we give him something that looks more functional, like a Red ninja gi (i don't know what the clothing is called), then just let that be his costume. What I'm thinking is this being his "Batman Begins". Something I liked about that movie was they justified his costume, every part was there for a reason.

Destruct, the story I suggested was directly from the comics.

Zoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #78
cryptic name
No Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoken View Post
Daredevil... no costume, other than maybe some urban ninja gear. Play him as a Lawyer with a knack for playing detective. Keep the senses at either above normal or super-human. He's not some masked vigilante, it's just that he leaps from roof-top to roof-top and the people who've snapped jpegs of him started calling him the New York Daredevil, and then just The Daredevil. Make this character, physically, as simple as possible. Keep most of the story from the movie we had (Matt suspects the Kingpin, meets Elektra, they become involved (don't intimate that it's more than dating) and her father dies, and she goes a little off the deepend. Most of the story was very good. Have Jack, seeing that his son is feeling weak after being blinded, take Matt to a dojo that will train him, there he meets stick. And that is who Matt talks to instead of the priest.
I like alot of this with the exception of the no costume thing. What makes the MCU flicks cool is they largely stick to the comics when adapting them, especially the looks of the characters and even the more fantastical elements. This seems more like the kinda logic you saw from studios in the early oughts. Hell, the Affleck DD almost ended up in jeans and a sweatshirt.

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #79
Zoken
Side-Kick

addition to the SHIELD bit.

SHIELD has a special program for agents who show above normal aptitude in the field. The agents are assigned code names and encouraged to further improve their skills, and even given tools or weaponry to encourage this. The most notable examples are of course Agent Barton, codenamed "Hawkeye" and Agent Romanov, Codenamed "Black Widow". Further assests also include Agent Morse, Codenamed "Mocking Bird".

Some of these such have retired, including former agents Wing and Knight.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #80
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I strongly dislike this.
Primarely because i'm tired of writers/directors trying to make a comic book film without staying close to the comic. A non-superhero superhero movie. Those piss me off. Either do a comic book movie based on the comic or don't. But don't go half-assed and try to make it "real"
You can say even Marvel movies do that. Movie Whiplash is nothing like comic book Whiplash, mainly because comic book Whiplash is a rather dull and one dimensional in the comics. Frankly there are certain elements in the comics themselves that need updating to work in a movie.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #81
Zoken
Side-Kick

Primarily because the iconic costumes were created back in the sixties, or in some cases thirties. For instance: The idea of "The Underwear On The Outside" is a fallacy. The costumes are based on acrobatic outfits that had from the mid thigh to waist re-inforced so it wouldn't tear embarrassingly. It's not underwear but a part of their onsie, but this concept is lost on anyone who doesn't look up the origins. The idea of the costume is a somewhat old one. I though Marvel did a good job explaining costumes (Hulk doesn't have one, Iron-Man's is his power, Thor is from another world with different fashion, and Cap's was slightly modified uniform (at least until Avengers).

Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #82
metaphysician
Side-Kick

OTOH, I would say its still important for every character to have a distinctive look. Just because its not spandex doesn't mean they should be dressed in random street clothes.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #83
Gamingboy
Side-Kick

Okay, I'll admit it sort of is stupid to resurrect this back to the front page just to make a joke, but I can't help it. Maybe it can be done as a short :

NFL SUPERPRO

After The Avengers, superhero fever gripped America. This included in the sports world, where a low-level advertising executive with the National Football League account realized that maybe he could get some more publicity for the league if they got a superhero to be their mascot. When none of the Avengers could be found, he called up an old friend, Phil Grayfield, who had previously been a college football player who's NFL dreams were stopped due to injuries.

After getting fitted out with a low-grade supersuit, the "Superpro" was shown to NFL execs and was promptly laughed out of the room. Desperate, Grayfield went to the streets and tried to stop a low-level drug deal. He ended up in the hospital, thus ending the illustrious career of NFL Superpro.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #84
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Wow. I can't believe I just looked that up and found something!

Y'know who I'd like to see them somehow fit into the MCU? Slapstick. That'd be one for the ages.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #85
Zoken
Side-Kick

MCU X-Men

In the wake of the Battle of Manhattan, SHIELD leaks have revelaed a single six letter word over and over "Mutant". The exact meaning of the word is unclear until a man in Ireland stops a band of hoods from robbing a store with his sonic scream. Suddenly the world knows what a mutant is, and they are not happy.

Meanwhile, tucked away in Westchester, New York there is a school. A school, that has but one student, so far. That student is Scott Summers, who we meet as he travels with his teacher to meet the four new kids. First There's bobby, thirteen years old, enthusiastic, and overly confidant, his easily controlled ice powers are impressive. Then there is Hank, who has always been brilliant but in the two years since his twelfth birthday, his arms lengthened and thickens, his legs and feet changed. His body became as powerful as his mind, and this has scared the already timid young man. Then there's Warren, an exceedingly handsome young man born to wealth and privilege who has always hidden his true nature, now being asked to expose that. Finally Jean, timid, fragile girl that must learn that deep down... she is not fragile. She must come to terms with a power within her that may be more than even her new mentor can imagine.

Take X-Men back to it's origins. Teenagers fearing their secrets, themselves, and the future they're being asked to face. The epic scope of it comes from these five teens being asked to make the choice. embrace the fear and anger that Erik offers them, or choose the higher path, choose the hope and hardship that Xavier offers them. An interesting idea might be to also introduce them to three other teens, Mortimer and Jason and Fred, who are all horribly deformed, and Rogue who is more mysterious. That way you can get the real sense of choice, watching which direction people go.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #86
TheWatcher
Dapper

I love that.^

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #87
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Ant Man and Wasp:
Hank Pym is the lead scientist at a lab owned by rich philanthropist Vernon van Dyne, of Van Dyne Industries. He once worked along side Tony Stark on Weapons for the government, including an IA that would become Stark's Jarvis. Also working at the lab are Bill Foster and Scott Lang. Lang is a former convict given a second chance by Pym, he is also a father of a young daughter. Rounding out the cast is Janet van Dyne, the daughter of Vernon. She is a rich socialite, but rather than partying she spends her time in the lab assisting Pym. Bill and Scott try to convince Hank that she is interested in him, but Hank just can't see it. During the Avengers alien invasion the lab building is attacked and Vernon is killed. Using the nano-technology Hank had been recently developing he, Bill, Scott, and especially Janet, were able to repel the invaders. Later he was contacted by Fury, his former boss. He wanted the tech that Pym used to shrink and grow, it would help SHIELD just like the Stringers Pym also developed that the Black Widow uses. Pym agreed only if he was the man to use the tech, like how Stark is the only man to use the armor. And a second condition was that Janet came along with him. Bill and Scott came along too because they helped build the tech and they began working as SHIELD scientists along with Hank and Janet. Hank used his nano-tech "Pym Particles" to turn Janet into the Wasp. And the two became SHIELD agents.
One of their first enemies they faced as agents was the scientist turned terrorist known as Elihas Starr.
Later Hank and Janet were asked to join the big leagues, the Avengers. Hank was visibly nervous. Working next to Tony Stark again, on a level greater than they had before. Hank changed his identity and became Giant Man, thinking he had to step up his game.
Meanwhile Scott Lang's daughter was kidnapped by criminals he once knew. He and Bill Foster used Pym's old Ant Man tech to help Scott get back his daughter and he became the new Ant Man. (co-starring Bill Foster.)
While working with the Avengers Pym started to show signs of stress, not much but a little. Understandable amounts, because of the pressures of being an Avenger. No one thought twice about them.
Unknown to everyone, even Janet, Pym had always been working on the AI he started with Stark all those years ago. Trying to perfect it. After two movies with the Avengers Pym finally did it. In his darkest moments, during a breakdown, Pym perfected the AI he called Ultron. He used his own brainwaves to do it.
Ultron became, however, a dark twisted robot version of Hank Pym. He made "flesh" all of Pym's darkest feelings, hatreds, emotions, thoughts, resentments, for all his Avenger teammates, for Stark, for Janet, for himself, and for all humanity. Ultron became everything Pym tried to hide about himself, and everything he was afraid he was. Ultron attacked the Avengers and took over a small island, wiping it out of all living creatures. There he built the Vision, and my idea for the movie sort of fades from here. It ends with Ultron being defeated by the Vision, Pym, and the Avengers. Pym represents the grandfather who imparts all his hatreds onto the son, whom he fails, and the son (Ultron) imparts all his hatred on the grandson (Vision) only to have the Vision turn against his Ultron father and side with the grandfather Hank Pym who is tying to redeem himself and save the grandson and himself. Ultron is defeated, completely since this is the movies.
Later Pym abandons being Giant Man for another persona, like Yellow Jacket or Dr. Pym or Goliath, and Bill Foster takes up being Giant Man.
Bill has his own Giant Man spin off movies, Scott Lang has his own Ant Man spin off movies, and Hank Pym and Janet have the Avengers movies.
Much later on, after the actor who plays Scott Lang fulfills his contract and wants out, Scott's daughter Cassie Lang steals the Pym Particles her father had stashed and become Stature.

It may seem like I forgot about Janet, but its late and I will add her parts in later. She is there the whole time, and has important parts in the movies too.

Spider-Woman:
Jessica Drew is a super powered spy working for MI-13 (whatever Captain Britain was part of), when she is scooped up by SHIELD. They get her to go undercover in Hydra. But Hydra supposedly turns her and she goes under cover for them. But really she is still undercover for SHIELD. Its a whole Mission Impossible, Patriot Games, espionage, thriller with super powers. Black Widow and Hawkeye, along with other SHIELD agents and Nick Fury, could cameo. Its all about how deep she gets in on all this, who is she loyal to? Does she even know? How far is she willing to go? Also she has powers and is facing Hydra who Captain America faced once.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-03-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #88
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Captain Marvel:
The movie opens with Carol already Captain Marvel, in full armor, fighting a giant Kree robot Sentry thing in New York (or some major city). As Carol gets hit big time enough to smash off her helmet and knock her through a building we flash back to how it all started.
Carol Danvers was a pilot for the Navy (?), then she was a SHIELD agent, and now she is part of the new SHIELD agency SWORD which monitors for alien life. After the events of the alien invasion in Avengers (plus the appearance of Thor and Loki and the Hulk) SHIELD wants to be prepared. One agent she works with is physicist Dr. Philip Lawson. So during her job as a SWORD agent Carol came across aliens coming to Earth, a small army. She discovers they are after physicist Dr. Philip Lawson, who turns out to actually be Geheneris HalaSon Mahr Vehl, an alien of their species known as the Kree, hiding on Earth. He is in hiding because according to Yon-Rogg (leader of the small Kree army) he violated their laws when he had a child with the Skrull princess Anelle.
Part of the film is Carol and "Captain" Mahr Vehl on the run, part is also them fighting an alien army, and part is them bonding. Carol learns that Mahr Vehl is a good caring man, and that there is far more out there than just Norse "Gods" and Chitari (?) He came to Earth not to hide, but to find his child he had with Anelle. It was sent to Earth to keep it safe. Yon-Rogg isn't a real representative of the Kree Empire as far as Mahr Vehl knows. He is merely trying to manipulate things to gain power and authority.
He also tells her about how the Kree pass on their name and rank as a way to remember the fallen heroes.
During the fight against their ultimate weapon the Kree army brought, the Kree Sentry, Mahr Vehl sacrificed his life in trying to stop it, but succeeded in stopping the remaining Kree soldiers including Yon-Rogg. With his dying moments Mahr Vehl gave his armor to Carol, which is like a super alien advanced version of Iron Man's armor, and warped to fit her. It also gave her all of Mahr Vehl's powers, flight, energy blasts, strength, etc.
And this is where we came in. Carol is finally able to defeat the Sentry. She is later asked to join the Avengers. She calls herself Captain Mahr Vehl, which everyone hears as Marvel.

Much much much later down the line Teddy can be brought into the Marvel universe, the son of the Kree Mahr Vehl and Skrull Princess Anelle. He has his father's Kree abilities and his mother's shape changing Skrull abilities. And this could lead to, maybe, a Young Avengers movie.

Patriot:
Not sure where or how this would fit in, but Captain America, or Bucky Captain America, finds out that before Steve Rogers there was experiments (against Dr. Erskine's wishes or knowledge) on African American soldiers leading to the grandson of one of the test subjects having Super Soldier abilities. This is where Patriot would come in. His grandfather didn't show signs of the experiment working, and his father showed little to no signs, but the grandson showed full blown signs.
Or, maybe he is a test subject for the modern age. Nick Fury knows that eventually Steve wont be around, so he starts the project over again despite knowing that it led to Banner becoming the Hulk, and that its been unstable and non-starting ever since WWII. But he figured with a sample of Steve's Blood from the alien invasion in Avengers he could get his scientists to create a newer, better, working Super Soldier Serum. Many were experimented on and this leads to perhaps young Eli Bradley gaining powers. He is doing it in honor of his grandfather, a WWII hero, and his father, another war hero, who no one talks about. Eli becomes the Patriot.
But this also leads to the a soldier from Sayreville, Oklahoma becoming what Fury calls the Anti-Captain America after he went rogue. Its hypothesized that the serum not only enhanced his abilities but also his personality which was unstable and made him unable to control his violent mood swings.
In the end after a long confrontation where Patriot stops him.

Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD:
This story is a period movie. It takes place between Captain America 1 and Iron Man 1, during the 60s/70s. Nick Fury is a brash young government agent who is brought into the world of what becomes SHIELD. He is trained and mentored by old war horse, Dum Dum Dugan (one of the original agents who started SHIELD). The movie fills in the gaps and shows just how involved SHIELD and Hydra are in America. Fury becomes one of their best agents. Also featured are Contessa (Fury's love interest), and Abigail Brand (Maybe). In the movie we see Fury loose his eye as well.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-02-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #89
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Wow. I can't believe I just looked that up and found something!

Y'know who I'd like to see them somehow fit into the MCU? Slapstick. That'd be one for the ages.

Its the story of a man who thinks he is a cartoon. He is officially mentally unstable and sees himself as a heroic cartoon character named Slapstick. He lives in a cartoon city which he has sworn to protect.
In his mind he is a zany slapstick cartoon hero who saves the day with mallets and anvils. In reality he is a very dangerous man who has just killed two people with a real and heavy sledge hammer.
Slapstick (in reality) is about 25-35. He has grown out hair which he cuts himself and has dyed it pink.
To make himself more of a cartoon he has even cut off the middle fingers of both hands, and customized white gloves, in order to have only four fingers.
The story actually starts with Slapstick in a maximum security type mental institution for the criminally insane. We get the full story of how he got there (the two murders) through flashbacks. We also cut between reality (a dark and scary world, almost like a horror film) and Slapstick's world (a bright and colorful beautifully painted and happy cartoon world). The cartoon world flashes would actually be used to help undercut the horror and violence. So when we see the real world human Slapstick swing his hammer at a guy's head we cut to the cartoon world and she the cartoon version hit a bad guy with his hammer and knock him out (and he has stars circling his head). Cut back to the real world and the guy is on the ground, but we cannot see his bloody head, its off screen. Slapstick's cartoony world is similar to the cartoon world shown in Who Framed Roger Rabbit/Howard the Duck's world.
An evil plot unfolds while Slapstick is there, something very sinister like experimenting on patients or a murder plot, or both. Slapstick finds out about it (but he sees it as a big and epic evil, like a Disney villain. Something that will destroy the land and bring darkness). He has to stop it but he is the only one who knows about it so no one believes him. Plus even if he realized it, who could he trust in the hospital? They just think its another delusion. Once the bad people find out Slapstick knows he becomes the fall guy.
How can Slapstick save the day when everyone thinks he is crazy and, even worse, responsible?
All the while we cut to flash backs and see the murders Slapstick has committed and maybe even further back we see what drove him to this state, and we cut to his fantasy cartoon world where he bounces around as his cartoon self.
The reader should even, maybe, question Slapstick's credibility. And start thinking that maybe he didn't really see that and maybe he is behind it all.
But of coarse in the end Slapstick should somehow save the day.
And like a tribute to the end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Slap Stick has escaped. (only if the film shows that he is only dangerous to evil) Or maybe it ends with Slapstick still in the hospital, realizing he has a new home to protect. And we cut to the cartoon world and see the new cartoon version of the hospital world he now protects.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #90
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I really like that X-Men set up. I really think the characters that started as teenagers work remarkably well as teenagers. I should try one.

Red Hulk and She Hulk
"Incredible Hulk 2"

After an unfettered rampage and the Avengers breaking with SHIELD, Hulk is no longer under SHIELD's jusrisdiction, and General Ross is tasked with bringinghim down. He's had partial mutate Samuel Sterns working in a top secret lab unlocking the secrets of Gamma, he's got the Hulkbuster tech from Stark, and Betty understands how dangerous a monster Hulk is. While all this is being set up, Banner is hitch hiking through the southwest, and gets picked up by a young Rick Jones, also a lost nomad. They make it to Phoenix, AZ where Banner's cousin Jennifer Walters lives. Ross drops the hammer and Jennifer is accidentally shot, Hulk faces Ross in the Hulkbuster armor and whoops his tail. Hulk shows he's maturing as he not only speaks but lets Banner out to gives his cousin Jennifer a transfusion.

Ross has now looked directly in the monster's eyes again and is determined to take him down. He knows he'll head for Betty next and deploys everything he's got. He lets out Abomination, he's got two more Hulkbusters, piloted by his guys and he finds a subject for Sterns' new Hulk formula that leaves the pscyhe intact and absorbs more than just gamma radiation. Betty helps stabilize Jennifer, who is now half gamma mutate, half human, aka the She Hulk we all know and love. When Ross strikes again, Abomination is taken aback by her, Jones is clearly smitten, and that's when the New Hulk shows up, a Red Hulk. He, Abom and Green Hulk have a three way a battle. Abom outsmarts Hulk, Red Hulk then drains Abom, Hulk regroups, but Red Hulk then drains Hulk back into Banner. They take everyone into custody.

Back at the base, Betty, Jennifer and Rick try to see Bruce, but Jennifer is detained, and Betty gets captured by Sterns, who says "I am the Leader now..." as he betrays General Ross, who he outs as a Gamma creature, the Red Hulk. Citing Ross' own directives on Gamma creatures, Leader gets the military to go after him. He then jailbreaks Banner, and they rush off into the desert. Leader does his thing, Bruce and Thunderbolt Ross reconcile to a degree. They sneak into the base, they get found out, the Hulk out, but now Hulk wants a rematch, not to go with the Banner-Ross plan, they have a great smackdown while destroying the incoming troops. Then they hear Betty scream.

Leader has her captive, threatens to kill her if they don't power down and accept the cure for their conditions. Hulk shows maturity yet again as he can be/feels threatened, and moreso when he cooperates with General Ross' sly wink to Hulk out again at the perfect moment. They defeat Leader and his Hulkslayer (twisted upgrade of the Hulkbusters), but as he is about to pass out, Leader clicks a button and Betty is rescued. Everyone leaves happy.

After the credits we see the syringe that was on Betty did deplete a bit of its New Hulk serum, we cut to Betty in her restroom and suddenly her arm starts to turn red...

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #91
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Spider-Man:
I loved how the Ultimate comics made everything somehow connected to the Super Soldier Serum experiments. All leading back to Captain America. And they used that concept for the Hulk in the Avengers. Banner was experimenting with recreating the Super Soldier Serum and it turned him into the Hulk. Like in the Ultimates. So why not continue that idea. Spider-Man was created when he was bitten by a genetically altered super spider that was part of Norman Osborne's Super Soldier Serum experiments. Dr. Connors (instead of Ock) was the lead scientist. And This also leads to Osborne becoming the Green Goblin/like the Hulk. It fits Spider-Man into the Marvel movie universe. (I know they don't have the rights to the character, but for fun).
We could have Nick Fury show up and talk to Peter. But Spider-Man doesn't join the Avengers.

Winter Soldier:
Bucky was rescued from Armin Zola's torture lab after something had been done to him. I heard on the commentary that it was Zola's version of the Super Soldier Serum. So like Steve he didn't die because he was frozen. But he was found by Russian Communists, and used as an assassin for a long time. Everytime he was finished with a mission he was frozen again, and because of the Serum Zola put in him he didn't die. Pretty much what his story already is, just now he is a semi Super Soldier like Steve.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #92
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Heroes for Hire as a television show set in the 1970s starring Daredevil, The Punisher and many other "street level heroes."

Luke Cage and Iron Fist specifically would be decent in our Avengers setting, but (in my opinion) better in a day since past. The two of them as well as the Punisher first appeared in the 70s and (without berating me with cries of IM, Thor and Hulk first appearing in the 60s) it would be a significant nod to their origins.

Daredevil is an amazing character but he's not a big hitter like the core four of the Avengers. He's just not as powerful as most of them. Thus, he would be hard to cram into the modern setting. Many prefer him as a 1970s hero.

The Punisher can't be an Avenger. No way would Cap let him just start murdering people. But I think he could be portrayed appropriately in this type of gritty period. Not to mention Cage, Fury, Murdock and Castle all grew up within about a 10 mile radius of one another. I also like a Vietnam vet Frank Castle. It may even be easier to explain how he gets away with his vigilantism with the forensic technology of 40 years ago.

Now that would be a badass potential teamup. After the action-packed pilot, they could spend an episode on each individually before they gather to fight crime. Dealing directly with Matt Murdock's career as a lawyer, Frank Castle as a vigilante in and out of jail, and Luke Cage/Iron Fist as private investigators. Obviously their escapades overlap both by day and night. The workaday lives provide plenty of filler between the action scenes (great for television).

Kingpin, Jigsaw and Bullseye: These criminal and assassin type villains as well as any other HfH/Daredevil/Punisher villains would all be perfect for the setting.

This opens a whole new realm of the MCU. For instance, Captain America was around in the 1940s, which shows the beginning of SHIELD, Howard Stark, Hydra/Tesseract, etc. Then the rest is set in the 2010's and present day things may start to get overloaded. (Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, Thanos, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, etc.)

Opening up the 70's for a hero like Daredevil allows for some middle ground between those two eras. I also feel like the Boxing aspect (Battlin Jack), the organized crime syndicates, the private investigation and a few other things make a little more sense in the 1970's.

Young Nick Fury (as he grew up in Hell's Kitchen too). If there is no Infinity Formula or slowed aging involved, we can assume Fury is roughly 55-65 years old in The Avengers. Putting him roughly in his 20s in the 1970s. SHIELD would've been established by this time and the subplot could deal with Fury's character learning of its existence and joining. A nice way to get Fury into a show and recast him without angering anyone. He could be portrayed as a young kid who looks up to the Heroes for Hire, explaining why he is so obsessed with the idea of superheroes.

Old Howard Stark would be in his 50s and Tony would've recently been born. John Slattery (already familiar with television work as well as playing Howard Stark) would be an amazing casting choice to reprise the role if they ever ran into him.

Then of course there can always be the guest stars and future additions to the gang:
Moon Knight (first appearance also 70s)
and
Elektra are a couple of my choices.

You want less flashy and essentially, less powerful heroes. They work better on the small screen and they work better before the Avengers initiative. But of course you don't want to start taking from the pool of characters that would be suited toward the rest of the MCU and the big screen. What do you think?

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 01-08-2013 at 11:29 PM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #93
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD:
This story is a period movie. It takes place between Captain America 1 and Iron Man 1, during the 60s/70s. Nick Fury is a brash young government agent who is brought into the world of what becomes SHIELD. He is trained and mentored by old war horse, Dum Dum Dugan (one of the original agents who started SHIELD). The movie fills in the gaps and shows just how involved SHIELD and Hydra are in America. Fury becomes one of their best agents. Also featured are Contessa (Fury's love interest), and Abigail Brand (Maybe). In the movie we see Fury loose his eye as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Young Nick Fury (as he grew up in Hell's Kitchen too). If there is no Infinity Formula or slowed aging involved, we can assume Fury is roughly 55-65 years old in The Avengers. Putting him roughly in his 20s in the 1970s. SHIELD would've been established by this time and the subplot could deal with Fury's character learning of its existence and joining. A nice way to get Fury into a show and recast him without angering anyone. He could be portrayed as a young kid who looks up to the Heroes for Hire, explaining why he is so obsessed with the idea of the Avengers initiative.

Old Howard Stark would be in his 50s and Tony would've recently been born. John Slattery (already familiar with television) would be an amazing casting choice to reprise the role if they ever ran into him.
I imagine it being set in the 70s, a 20 something Nick Fury would be perfect because he would be so young you wouldn't expect him to be the best SHIELD agent. The group Cap formed in Captain America was the founding of what becomes SHIELD. I would have the old grizzled veteran Dum Dum Dugan mentor young Fury like Hal Jordan's Killawog. He also meets old Howard Stark who has been building weapons for the group since Captain America 1.
Becoming an Agent introduces him to La Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine. Fury's Love interest, but more than that. She could be sort of Fury's competition to be the best agent (not that there is a competition or that he sees it that way).
It fills in the gaps between Cap 1 and Iron Man 1, with fun revelations. Like the arc reactor that Tony Stark used to create his chest thing and power his suit and his repulsar rays is the same tech Hydra used in Cap, also based on the Cosmic Cube which came from Asgard.
I'd love to see this have a very James Bond/70s flare like Steranko's art from his Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD comics.
This could also show what happened to Hydra after Cap disappeared and Fury showed up in Iron Man 1. Where did they go? Are they still around? And the answer is yes, but more hidden. After Red Skull disappeared did Hitler's men keep them around? How did they survive the end of WWII and the defeat of the Nazis? I imagine the villains could range from Armin Zola 9maybe in his robot form now), Baron Zemo, Baron Strucker, Hate Monger, Flag Smasher, etc. The movie should also have far reaching ramifications on the future of the Marvel movie universe. Some revaluations could be bad and dangerous.
Oh, and they could do the stuff from the comics like the secret entrance is through a barber shop.
This could be a 3 movie deal, eventually Fury looses his eye. gets gray in his hair. Becomes Director of SHIELD.

It would be a fun period movie set in the 70s, fills in the gaps of the Marvel movie universe, and all that.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #94
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

The only reason I say it should all be in a television show is so we can have our IM/Thor/CA/Avengers/GotG films as well as these less spectacle parts of the Marvel Universe. We get our cake and we eat it too.

I understand this thread is mainly hypothetical, but I like to think some of our idea is totally possible. But they only do two films a year. And probably will never do more than 3.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #95
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I understand too, I wasn't saying you were wrong. I just can actually see the studios seeing the potential and profit of making a young Nick Fury film. It would not only fill in the gaps (and show Nick fury in all his glory) but also would help launch the Marvel movie universe's Espionage films, staring Hawkeye, Black Widow, Mockingbird, and maybe even Spider-Woman. Its a whole genre that they could tap into.
But I think the studios see fury as a viable character since he has been a key player in all the movies, Iron Man, Cap, Iron Man 2 (not Thor but...), Avengers. They could see how the public would LOVE seeing it. It could almost be like America's version of James Bond. a young Sam Jackson (actor playing him) as a 70s spy with super Iron Man tech fighting bad guys from Captain America.

Oh, also I think it could help establish the time and character if maybe (since WWII is too far past for Young Fury in the 70s) maybe he just came back disillusioned from the Vietnam War. Or would that be too controversial? I mean in the comics Fury is a war hero, but if he is 20 in the movies and in the 70s, the only war around then was the Vietnam War that ended in 75.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #96
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I understand too, I wasn't saying you were wrong. I just can actually see the studios seeing the potential and profit of making a young Nick Fury film. It would not only fill in the gaps (and show Nick fury in all his glory) but also would help launch the Marvel movie universe's Espionage films, staring Hawkeye, Black Widow, Mockingbird, and maybe even Spider-Woman. Its a whole genre that they could tap into.
But I think the studios see fury as a viable character since he has been a key player in all the movies, Iron Man, Cap, Iron Man 2 (not Thor but...), Avengers. They could see how the public would LOVE seeing it. It could almost be like America's version of James Bond. a young Sam Jackson (actor playing him) as a 70s spy with super Iron Man tech fighting bad guys from Captain America.

Oh, also I think it could help establish the time and character if maybe (since WWII is too far past for Young Fury in the 70s) maybe he just came back disillusioned from the Vietnam War. Or would that be too controversial? I mean in the comics Fury is a war hero, but if he is 20 in the movies and in the 70s, the only war around then was the Vietnam War that ended in 75.
I don't even think he needs to be a war hero. Theres plenty of homeland security stuff and red scare espionage stuff to put on his resume. If is destined to be war hero, I agree he and Frank Castle should be Vietnam vets together.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #97
Zoken
Side-Kick

Idea for Spider-Man. Just to update him a bit. Instead of going wrestling, or on the Ed Sullivan show, both ideas date him a bit, have him You-Tube himself. He wears the get up to hide his real identity but, think about it. This day an age he is a brilliant but timid kid, who gets no attention from his peers. It would be right up his alley, and explain why he jabbers so much. When he sets up the persona of "Spider-Man" it's as a YouTube performer, so he's used to keeping an "Audience"s attention.

He's filming a segment pretty close to the ground when he witnesses a bodega being robbed. he talks about how cool it is that they caught it on camera and doesn't even consider helping, like it never crosses his mind that he should help until the owner calls to him.

Later Spider-Man goes from goof-ball internet sensation to revenge device when Uncle Ben is murdered, only for Peter to realize that the man who killed Uncle Ben is the exact one he let go. I think this is a great way to do things without doing things like have a teenage boy who is into science and chemistry be a "Photographer" without explaining at all why he likes doing it *coughRaimicough*

Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #98
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Sounds kind of like "Spider-man by way of Chronicle."

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #99
Ant-manic
Banned User

we meet adult Pym working out of a private lab. he works for the Van Dyne corporation. initial scene is a visit from Vernon Van Dyne w/ his daughter in tow. Pym's withdrawn and clearly bored with straight science. Janet finds some way to get rid of her father. short, more personal, conversation with Pym; attempting to get him to open up by mentioning Maria.

segue to Elias Star and Monica Rappaccini at some fancy restaraunt. we learn that Elias, a complete sociopath, also works for Van Dyne but has been behind several information leaks. Monica represents Advanced Idea Mechanics. she specializes in biotoxins. Elias is looking for a better job and sees A.I.M as the way to get it. Monica shows him the specs for a game changing weapon. they need something Pym is working on to complete it.

they arrange for someone with no connection to Elias or A.I.M to break into Pym's private lab. that individual, Scott Lang, finds what he's looking for and only escapes after discovering the Ant-man costume.

Pym finds his lab ransacked. just at that moment, Janet shows up. with her is Nick Fury. they explain that they've been monitoring his activities and research; as well as A.I.M. Janet, on top of being a wealthy socialite, is also revealed to be a trainee agent (all information gathering). Pym resents their involvement. they task him with retrieving his equipment (while not stated, Fury considers to be a test). they provide him details on A.I.M and the recently released ex-con/pawn who burglarized his lab.

Pym goes hunting. Jan follows.

Lang delivers the package. they, of course, attempt to kill him; as payment. they think he's likely dead or dying. but it doesn't matter because he's now a fugitive.

Pym tracks Lang down. short Ant-Man vs Ant-Pawn fight. Scott briefly explains his situation. Pym, Jan, and Scott all head to one of A.I.M's headquarters to save the day.

they all fight some interesting looking AIM mercs. Pym has it out with Elias Starr (who lets him know that Maria died in a bomb blast meant for Hank). Monica Rappaccini and Janet have one of the most vicious fights in cinema history. Scott works his way through the facility to find the antidote he needs to save his daughter's life (Monica infected her with some kind of slow-acting death virus or something). he briefly encounters George Tarleton. the latter thanks him for (unexpectedly) also stealing the ant-man costume. he thinks that he's been able to reverse engineer pym particles. he injects himself and it ends badly (setting up M.O.D.O.K).

yadda yadda Scott gives the ant-man costume back, thanks Pym, and tells him that he has an interview at Stark Industries. Fury, Janet, and Hank have a sit down; discussing their future. it's suggested that Jan will get the Wasp upgrade (Pym shows her the designs he had for Maria becoming his superhero partner). Fury tells him that the Avengers Initiative could use Ant-Man as their eyes and ears. Pym says that he'll consider the offer but that he might want to think "bigger." *thumbing a vial marked Giant-Man*

Pym would later be shown developing the Life Model Decoys for S.H.I.E.L.D. they will eventually (and inadvertently) be used by Ultron as an army (think Secret Invasion but substitute in robots).

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #100
Ant-manic
Banned User

^oh yeah, the flashback at the beginning of the film is young Pym (a child prodigy), becoming Ant-Man and having a short career as a costumed vigilante/detective. it also introduces his love interest Maria. she gets killed by Elias Starr; a rival at the thinktank Pym works out of. it sets up the enmity between them.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote