The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Marvel Westerns

Marvel should start looking into developing its Western/Cowboy concepts into feature films and TV shows. They could be modestly-budgeted, they don't have to be $200 million, etc. The films can get some name stars or they can get character actors, or a mixture. The films can be traditional Westerns preferably, I'm not sure how another sci-fi Western (i.e., Cowboys & Aliens) would be received. Django Unchained is already doing big business, whereas last year's Jonah Hex didn't, so Westerns aren't dead, if they're well-produced with a compelling concept.

kid colt; two-gun kid; rawhide kid; gunhawk; reno jones; red wolf; (original) ghost rider; various others.. http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Western_Characters

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: Marvel Westerns

I've always been a western fan....and I read many of the Marvel western comics when I was a kid....but I've never really thought of any of them as being movie material except for Ghost Rider. That would be interesting to see.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

As a kid, I used to love the Marvel Westerns almost as much as the superhero comics; but they definitely belong to a long lost era that will probably never return. This is not to say that Westerns per se are dead in film; just that the comic book version of Westerns belong to the gee-whiz Golden Age of Westerns, which has been considered far too hokey since even the days of Sergio Leone.

Even the names: "Rawhide Kid," "Kid Colt," and "Two-Gun Kid" scream 1950s TV or movie serial Westerns....alas, I don't think there's any demand for that these days.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Spidey-Quad
Side-Kick

I love those comics and reprints myself! Could you imagine if they made a movie with all of them, kind of like a "Silverado"

I believe any movie genre could be successful as long as it is good. That is good writing, good acting and good producing.

Spidey-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Quad View Post
I love those comics and reprints myself! Could you imagine if they made a movie with all of them, kind of like a "Silverado"

I believe any movie genre could be successful as long as it is good. That is good writing, good acting and good producing.
I loved them as a kid too....but today, it would come off as a parody.

The Two-Gun KID rides up, and says hello to the Rawhide KID. and asks him if he has seen KID Colt who says no, but I was talking yesterday to the Outlaw KID......

Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Ain't gonna happen. They're gonna stick with what works, and that's sci-fi superhero movies.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

real names can be used instead of all the "kid" monikers; John Ostrander's Blaze of Glory can be used as a template..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
kedrell
I see what you did there

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I loved them as a kid too....but today, it would come off as a parody.

The Two-Gun KID rides up, and says hello to the Rawhide KID. and asks him if he has seen KID Colt who says no, but I was talking yesterday to the Outlaw KID......
Kinda reminds me of the scene in The Naked Gun 2 & 1/2 where they're talking about boxers:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

2015 will not only see the MCU beat the HP franchise for the #1 WW spot but it will also see Marvel Studios pass Pixar in terms of WW grosses($8.585 billion). Marvel Studios/MCU avg. annual profit: $621m(there ain't none higher. HP was the closest runner up with $541m when it was active).
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Baramos
Side-Kick

What are Marvel's big-name Western heroes? I recognized Jonah Hex back when it came out, mostly due to some of the cartoon versions, and I enjoy the new All-Star Western.

Honestly the only one of those I even have heard of is Ghost Rider, and Ghost Rider the movies have been pretty bad so far...

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
C. Lee
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
What are Marvel's big-name Western heroes?
Here are some of them....

The Rawhide Kid
The Two-Gun Kid
Kid Colt
The Outlaw Kid
Red Wolf
Gunhawk
Reno Jones

Quote:
I recognized Jonah Hex back when it came out, mostly due to some of the cartoon versions, and I enjoy the new All-Star Western.
Jonah Hex is a DC character.

Quote:
Honestly the only one of those I even have heard of is Ghost Rider, and Ghost Rider the movies have been pretty bad so far...
The GHOST RIDER Marvel western character has absolutely nothing to do with the flaming headed motorcycle riding character that has had two movies made of him. The motorcycle riding character made a deal with the devil and has supernatural powers. The western character is a regular human, he dresses up in a phosphorescent suit to scare outlaws and fights crime.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
kedrell
I see what you did there

I suppose there's also Texas twister, though isn't he a mutant?

2015 will not only see the MCU beat the HP franchise for the #1 WW spot but it will also see Marvel Studios pass Pixar in terms of WW grosses($8.585 billion). Marvel Studios/MCU avg. annual profit: $621m(there ain't none higher. HP was the closest runner up with $541m when it was active).
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Marvel should start looking into developing its Western/Cowboy concepts into feature films and TV shows. They could be modestly-budgeted, they don't have to be $200 million, etc. The films can get some name stars or they can get character actors, or a mixture. The films can be traditional Westerns preferably, I'm not sure how another sci-fi Western (i.e., Cowboys & Aliens) would be received. Django Unchained is already doing big business, whereas last year's Jonah Hex didn't, so Westerns aren't dead, if they're well-produced with a compelling concept.

kid colt; two-gun kid; rawhide kid; gunhawk; reno jones; red wolf; (original) ghost rider; various others.. http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Western_Characters
I'm all for it!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
real names can be used instead of all the "kid" monikers; John Ostrander's Blaze of Glory can be used as a template..
Exactly.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I suppose there's also Texas twister, though isn't he a mutant?
Yes. And he lives in the present.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Baramos
Side-Kick

Oh, I knew Jonah Hex was DC, I just meant that was pretty literally the only comic book Western hero I knew of in either of the big two.

Glad to hear there is another Ghost Rider that is not the Flaming Skull Guy from the movies...

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Andy Diggle's Marvel Six Guns pretty much read like it was made for a movie.

Tex Dawson, Black Rider, Tarantula, Matt Slade and the Two-Gun Kid updated for the modern day.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

Wow I feel so foolish, I had no idea Marvel had so many western characters like DC.