The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: What Scene Made You Cry Like A Baby Needing To Be Fed?
Bane/Talia's tearful goodbye 6 3.68%
Bane Saving Talia as a Child 6 3.68%
Alfred losing it at Bruce's Funeral 90 55.21%
Bruce starting the home for orphans 15 9.20%
Batman revealing to Gordon that he was Bruce Wayne the whole time 41 25.15%
I'm a tough guy and I never cry. 35 21.47%
Another scene (If another scene not listen started the waterworks, please describe) 48 29.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #251
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: HONEST Answers Only... Did You Cry? (SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
Do you have anyone associated with the movie who confirmed what Caine said?
I don't have to. The onus is on you to find someone affiliated with the movie to back up your opinion. I've got mine, where's yours?

Quote:
While that is true, she was the last woman that Bruce had interacted with, so she was probably still fresh in his mind.
When did Alfred see him interacting with her?

Quote:
Otherwise, you could also see it as a plot hole (since this movie had quite a few).
It's only a plot hole if what Alfred saw was a dream, which as Caine confirmed it was not.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #252
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I'm still convinced that Bruce died, and Alfred was imagining him at that table with Selina. No way he jumped out of the Batpod in time before the bomb exploded. And even if he did, it would have killed him.
Nice theory you have, but you'd be wrong. Mostly because your theory also means that the whole auto-pilot plot was all imagination for Lucius's sake.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #253
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I don't have to. The onus is on you to find someone affiliated with the movie to back up your opinion. I've got mine, where's yours?
Actors lie all the time, its not proof.

Quote:
When did Alfred see him interacting with her?
Its been a while since I've seen the film.

Quote:
It's only a plot hole if what Alfred saw was a dream, which as Caine confirmed it was not.
Well then, I find the ending bogus.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #254
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Actors lie all the time, its not proof.
What possible reason would he have to lie?

You're just talking nonsense now.

Quote:
Its been a while since I've seen the film.
Then let me refresh your memory; he never saw Bruce and Selina interacting.

Quote:
Well then, I find the ending bogus.
That's your choice.

- The Joker
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #255
Picard Sisko

Quote:
What possible reason would he have to lie?

You're just talking nonsense now.
Nonsense is when people explain plot holes, such as Bruce getting back to Gotham, with... "He's Batman!"

Quote:
That's your choice.
Nolan's vision of Batman is praised for being grounded, and more "realistic," so how do you explain Batman was able to survive that explosion? Doesn't make any sense to me.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #256
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Nonsense is when people explain plot holes, such as Bruce getting back to Gotham, with... "He's Batman!"
Congratulations on completely dodging the question I asked you.

Quote:
Nolan's vision of Batman is praised for being grounded, and more "realistic," so how do you explain Batman was able to survive that explosion? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Being grounded and more realistic, doesn't mean it is actually realistic. Who said it was supposed to be realistic? Certainly not Nolan;

Quote:
The term “realism” is often confusing and used sort of arbitrarily. I suppose “relatable” is the word I would use. I wanted a world that was realistically portrayed, in that even though outlandish events may be taking place, and this extraordinary figure may be walking around these streets, the streets would have the same weight and validity of the streets in any other action movie. So they’d be relatable in that way.
http://filmcomment.com/article/cinem...-scott-foundas

- The Joker
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #257
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's fun to read Joker's replies when they're not to me, lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #258
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Congratulations on completely dodging the question I asked you.
Well, if you really want an answer that badly, perhaps he didn't want to crush fanboys' dreams that Bruce is still alive. Really, IDK. Point is, I take what actors say with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Being grounded and more realistic, doesn't mean it is actually realistic. Who said it was supposed to be realistic? Certainly not Nolan;
Still doesn't make up for how absurd it was that Batman, who is just a human being, was able to escape the Batpod in time.
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #259
Anno_Domini
Banned User

How could it be really absurd though with Batman's cape and how it's used? The wind could have easily helped him carry himself off away in time.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #260
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
How could it be really absurd though with Batman's cape and how it's used? The wind could have easily helped him carry himself off away in time.
We saw Batman in the Batpod seconds before it blew up.

Also, that bomb was meant to destroy Gotham. No way Batman could get far enough to escape.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #261
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
We saw Batman in the Batpod seconds before it blew up.

Also, that bomb was meant to destroy Gotham. No way Batman could get far enough to escape.
The Bat* And we have no confirmation what we really saw in chronological order, only that we see Batman's face and also the time on the bomb. Knowing Nolan, the two could've been switched around to only confuse the viewer.

And the bomb only had a six-mile radius. Who's to say Batman wasn't able to get farther than that?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #262
Picard Sisko

Quote:
The Bat* And we have no confirmation what we really saw in chronological order, only that we see Batman's face and also the time on the bomb. Knowing Nolan, the two could've been switched around to only confuse the viewer.

And the bomb only had a six-mile radius. Who's to say Batman wasn't able to get farther than that?
I'm certain what we saw was in Chronological order. This isn't Memento. There was no reason to switch the order of events just for the sake of confusing the viewer.

And ONLY a six-mile radius? Batman had seconds to get away.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #263
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Really? Confusing the viewer such as making everyone believe the auto pilot wasn't working?

And who's to also say how far he can or can't get within a matter of seconds either?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #264
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Really? Confusing the viewer such as making everyone believe the auto pilot wasn't working?

We saw Batman sitting inside *the Bat* right before it blew up. Literally seconds before. If Nolan really changed the chronological order of these scenes, then I'd call that bad editing.

Quote:
And who's to also say how far he can or can't get within a matter of seconds either?
Physics. And, once again, we saw Batman inside right before The Bat blew up, and we watched it blow up. Maybe Superman does exist in the universe, and he quickly flew by to save him. There, a convenient answer.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #265
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
We saw Batman sitting inside *the Bat* right before it blew up. Literally seconds before. If Nolan really changed the chronological order of these scenes, then I'd call that bad editing.
I would call that more ingenious editing than bad myself. Something to fool the viewer as so many thought Batman indeed died.

Quote:
Physics. And, once again, we saw Batman inside right before The Bat blew up, and we watched it blow up. Maybe Superman does exist in the universe, and he quickly flew by to save him. There, a convenient answer.

It's like you think Nolan have only plausible solutions because that cable in TDK could so flip a big-wheeler over, lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #266
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I would call that more ingenious editing than bad myself. Something to fool the viewer as so many thought Batman indeed died.
Hey, choose to interpret it any way you'd like. I'm just saying how I feel about it.

Quote:

It's like you think Nolan have only plausible solutions because that cable in TDK could so flip a big-wheeler over, lol.
Its more plausible than Batman escaping the Bat in time.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #267
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Hey, choose to interpret it any way you'd like. I'm just saying how I feel about it.
That's fine if you think it that way. You also think Alfred was only imagining Bruce as well it seems.

Quote:
Its more plausible than Batman escaping the Bat in time.
It's really not.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #268
Picard Sisko

Quote:
That's fine if you think it that way. You also think Alfred was only imagining Bruce as well it seems.
I said I think he imagined Bruce there. Its a possibility.

Quote:
It's really not.
Neither are really that plausible.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #269
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Even if it's in chronological order, it doesn't mean it's in real time.

Every shot in a movie doesn't place exactly after the shot the before it; thus the nature of time in movies.

Clearly the shot of the 5 second timer just didn't take place directly after the shots before it (Bats in the Batpod).

That being said, even though there's no 'plothole', it's still crap editing because people don't realize that editing works like this, thus the complaints of plotholes. They should have put another shot between Bats in the batpod and the timer just to make it clearer I suppose.

One might argue that this editing style was consistent with the rest of the movie, as Nolan used this a ton in this movie, but in the other instances it showed two different times on the same shot/angle, so the audience can tell that time has passed. With the timer thing the audience just assumed it was in real time, thus the complaints.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 01-10-2013 at 11:37 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #270
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Even if it's in chronological order, it doesn't mean it's in real time.

Every shot in a movie doesn't place exactly after the shot the before it; thus the nature of time in movies.

Clearly the shot of the 5 second timer just didn't take place directly after the shot before it (Bats in the Batpod).

That being said, even though there's no 'plothole', it's still crap editing because people don't realize that editing works like this, thus the complaints of plotholes. They should have put another shot between Bats in the batpod and the timer just to make it clearer I suppose.

One might argue that this editing style was consistent with the rest of the movie, as Nolan used this a ton in this movie, but in the other instances it showed two different times on the same shot/angle, so the audience can tell that time has passed. With the timer thing the audience just assumed it was in real time, thus the complaints.
This movie had some poor editing. For example, having a chase sequence start during the daytime suddenly changing to night in a matter of seconds was terrible IMO.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #271
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
This movie had some poor editing. For example, having a chase sequence start during the daytime suddenly changing to night in a matter of seconds was terrible IMO.
That's more of a plothole than bad editing I'd say. Day to night in 8 minutes. Or on the flip-side, the chase doesn't feel like it was supposed to be an hour long if it was supposed to be.

But I did notice more of the poor editing on some timing things. Several moments felt 1 or 2 seconds too short. ("He's behind you" "Who?" "me!")

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #272
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I said I think he imagined Bruce there. Its a possibility.
But again, that just makes the whole auto-pilot idea just stupid, imo.

Quote:
Neither are really that plausible.
Well yes, that's my point. Both aren't that plausible but I can look past one when I have looked past the other.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #273
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It wasn't day to night, there was a dusk shot in there before the chase goes into the tunnel, and also a time jump when we see Dagget watching the chase on the news at night.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #274
Picard Sisko

That doesn't change the fact that it was poorly edited.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #275
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
It wasn't day to night, there was a dusk shot in there before the chase goes into the tunnel, and also a time jump when we see Dagget watching the chase on the news at night.
I noticed that the last time I watched the movie. There's a shot of Foley outside the stock exchange after the chase with Bane starts that is at dusk. And a good portion of the chase is in the tunnels, allowing time progression. It isn't a continuity error as I originally thought.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote