Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #76
Dark Knight
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Anne lost the Critics Choice award for Best Action Actress to Jennifer Lawrence. Bale lost to Daniel Craig. TDKR lost to Skyfall.

The semi TDK ripoff in Skyfall receiving more recognition than TDKR? Hmm...I wonder if Bonds 50th anniversary had something to do with that?

Laughable. That's all I can say.....

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #77
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

I'm far from TDKR's biggest fan, but the technical snubs are a bit baffling. The film had plenty of great visual effects with the exception of the football stadium explosion. The stuff with the Bat was top notch.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #78
Happy Jack
Onion Knight

It deserved Best Cinematography and Visual Effects nominations at least.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #79
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

I just noticed that Holy Motors wasn't even nominated in Best Foreign Language Film. Seriously, what's wrong with these old coots this year??

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #80
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Not a single nomination.

Oof!!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #81
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
Avengers was also voted Most Overrated by Metacritic users (with TDKR right behind it): http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...r-poll-results
Avengers is hilariously overrated.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #82
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
IMO TDKR had more balls and ambition than any other film from 2012. We can argue the execution all day, but Nolan did some extraordinary, outside the box things with the freedom he was given on a project of this size, and he did so while honoring a pop culture icon and making a great mass entertainment film.
I can only partially agree though the Academy members might argue that its an outside the box thinking ...for an action/superhero film ,but I think its hard it argue its the most ambitious film of 2012.

Its a solid flick but I really couldn't say it had balls . If Nolan had actually killed Bruce Wayne and much of his supporting cast then I would have agreed with you . I really cant say it was outside the box except that it was influenced by Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns and No Mans Land which hadn't been done on film before. Other then that , the themes about dealing with retirement, the young brutal upstart vs the aging champ, and the protagonist going out on one last horah aren't the most original and daring themes in Hollywood films. They've been done over and over again for years in Hollywood films.

I would agree that the scale of the story was ambitious.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #83
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
Don't delude yourselves...TDKR is no Blade Runner. It's no TDK either. While I'd argue it might be a better film than a couple of nominees, it doesn't particularly DESERVE to win anything. In no category would I say it's a better quality or more inventive film than everything else nominated. Including cinematography. The only category where it was my favorite thing of the year was the score.
It's not a matter of delusion (the tdk part) . It's a matter of opinion. It's strange how some people cant' accept different opinions. You're just being very condescending , thinking someone who thinks different than you is deluded. The least i can say about that , it's that its very disrespectful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I just noticed that Holy Motors wasn't even nominated in Best Foreign Language Film. Seriously, what's wrong with these old coots this year??

I think france submitted the pedantic Intouchables. It's an insult a category like foreign exist , even more that it's just one per country. If there's a movie that i think deserved to sweep the oscars , that was Holy Motors (i would love to see the reactions ) . Just breathtaking cinema that tries to push the boundaries of filmmaking. Leos Caraz magnum opus.

Last edited by Tequilla; 01-11-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #84
Caboose
Side-Kick

LMAO at all the butthurt in this thread. Yes, blame "politics" and not the quality of the film.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #85
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Really?... Really?
The majority of the people complaining in this thread are saying they didn't expect big nominations. Myself included. TDKR was a mess in some aspects, but effects was not one of them. The movie looked so seamless and will stand up in a way that few movies these days can. Jurassic Park is good example to me. I'm surprised at how many movies can't stand up to that 20 years later. 20 years from now I doubt we can look back and say, "Man these effects look like crap.", in regards to TDKR.
Is it that hard to fathom that there might be legit complaints?

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #86
Caboose
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post

Really?... Really?
The majority of the people complaining in this thread are saying they didn't expect big nominations. Myself included. TDKR was a mess in some aspects, but effects was not one of them. The movie looked so seamless and will stand up in a way that few movies these days can. Jurassic Park is good example to me. I'm surprised at how many movies can't stand up to that 20 years later. 20 years from now I doubt we can look back and say, "Man these effects look like crap.", in regards to TDKR.
Is it that hard to fathom that there might be legit complaints?
Is it that hard to fathom that the movie and its various individual parts just might not be good enough?

If you think it got snubbed, fine. Deal with it. Whining about "politics" isn't gonna help.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #87
Ryan
Side-Kick

Wow so TDKR and Batman and Robin are the only 2 bat films that weren't nominated for a single oscar?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #88
Grommers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Wow so TDKR and Batman and Robin are the only 2 bat films that weren't nominated for a single oscar?
Yeah..that's an interesting bit of information.

And it is hard to fathom that a critically "organization" like the oscars, and the judges, would snub it.

So, yes it is hard to believe, because it is good enough in same categories.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #89
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The semi TDK ripoff in Skyfall receiving more recognition than TDKR? Hmm...I wonder if Bonds 50th anniversary had something to do with that?

This is getting rather tired. I am sure everyone involved would happily acknowledge that two scenes from "Skyfall" were influenced by TDK. TDK was a great film, and was broadly influential. It was also heavily influenced by other films itself. I would see it as flattery to Nolan, Ledger and TDK.

It does not make "Skyfall" a lesser or even a less individual movie. It and TDKR did similarly great business, and though the critics marginally preferred 'Skyfall', and it has a couple of nominations that TDKR lacks, they are both broadly considered to be very good genre films.

TDKR missing out on any Oscar glory is either the Academy's fault, or Nolan's. You can't blame it on Sam Mendes et al. Personally, I am glad that Christopher Nolan is not the kind of director who would make films designed to appeal to the academy. TDK richly deserves its awards, and I have no doubt that Nolan's time will come again, but TDKR was not his strongest effort and it certainly wasn't the type of film that you would expect to rake in the Oscars.

The best way to avoid undue disappointment is to manage your expectations realistically.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #90
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
Is it that hard to fathom that the movie and its various individual parts just might not be good enough?

If you think it got snubbed, fine. Deal with it. Whining about "politics" isn't gonna help.
Look, I guess I get what you're saying. You don't like reading people complain. (as you complain about their complaining.)
More than a few people here didn't even like the movie as a whole and still thought it probably deserved at least a technical nod or two.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #91
Ipodman
Love Tension

Oh well...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #92
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
TDKR missing out on any Oscar glory is either the Academy's fault, or Nolan's. You can't blame it on Sam Mendes et al. Personally, I am glad that Christopher Nolan is not the kind of director who would make films designed to appeal to the academy. TDK richly deserves its awards, and I have no doubt that Nolan's time will come again, but TDKR was not his strongest effort and it certainly wasn't the type of film that you would expect to rake in the Oscars.

The best way to avoid undue disappointment is to manage your expectations realistically.
Yeah, I agree. I probably love TDKR a lot more than you do, but I recognize that it has a lot of things that are "un-Oscary" about it. TDK played with a genre that has been heavily awarded in the past, the crime/gangster drama. And even The Joker could be seen as Nolan's answer to Hannibal Lecter.

I think TDKR, while completely dwarfing TDK in scale also went into genre territory that could be considered more "B" territory, such as the disaster film. (Yes Titanic is a disaster film, but it's also a period piece and a love story). The silent film/traditional epic influences are definitely in its favor, but it's also very openly a superhero film. It's more about the spectacle and scale of things than TDK was. Bane can be seen as a more generic action movie bad guy (and again, I love Bane so don't get me wrong).

So, while I love TDKR I don't have too many illusions about why it got shut out. Because if you think the Academy members were sitting there making lists of "plot holes" and complaining about things like Bruce retiring or the 8 year gap, then I think you'd be severely mistaken. Overall, the movie is just not the type of thing they tend to vote for. Another thing that I feel hurts it is its topical, yet apolitical aspect. It brings certain issues to the light without taking a definitive stance on them and doesn't cater to the politics of the Academy.

And yes, I also think the elephant in the room played a role in it getting 0 nominations. I couldn't begin to know to what extent, but it seems pretty fishy to me that one of the most technically impressive and ambitious films of the year got no love in the technical categories. I don't think the technical standards of this film were any lower than Nolan's last two films (if anything I thought they were higher) which not only got a lot of technical nominations, but a lot of wins. Even the film's detractors were expecting technical nominations.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #93
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Avengers is hilariously overrated.
Yes. It's not amazing, like Spidey.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #94
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
This is getting rather tired. I am sure everyone involved would happily acknowledge that two scenes from "Skyfall" were influenced by TDK. TDK was a great film, and was broadly influential. It was also heavily influenced by other films itself. I would see it as flattery to Nolan, Ledger and TDK.

It does not make "Skyfall" a lesser or even a less individual movie. It and TDKR did similarly great business, and though the critics marginally preferred 'Skyfall', and it has a couple of nominations that TDKR lacks, they are both broadly considered to be very good genre films.

Well said

- The Joker
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #95
Ryan
Side-Kick

While I wasn't the biggest fan of TDKR, I wouldn't put it in the same category as Batman and Robin. By the same token, I'm not surprised that it didn't garner any Oscar nods anymore then I was surpised that TDK did and Ledger won.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #96
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
IMO TDKR had more balls and ambition than any other film from 2012.
I disagree. Completely. You can't in good conscience tell me that Rises had more balls than Django Unchained or Zero Dark Thirty. The most vivid portrayal of slavery in the antebellum South and brutal dramatization of the utter dehumanization of torture (putting a dog collar on and forcing them to crawl on their feet like dogs ass naked in front of the peering eyes of women) are far more ballsy than mere glimpses (and that's all they were) of social unrest. Perhaps if Nolan expanded on that theme more you would have a point. But he didn't.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #97
regwec
Shakespearo

I don't necessarily think being "ballsy" is a virtue in itself. QT, to me, just seems like a little boy who wants to tell the world every time he has learned a new bad word.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #98
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Yes. It's not amazing, like Spidey.
Avengers is the emperor's new clothes.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #99
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post

Maybe Bond just did it better. I understand you are a Batman megafan, but not excepting the fact that not everyone loved TDKR is going a bit far.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #100
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't necessarily think being "ballsy" is a virtue in itself. QT, to me, just seems like a little boy who wants to tell the world every time he has learned a new bad word.
It's not. But it is a virtue of Django Unchained. Especially in context of the lack of movies showing the horrors of slavery (absolutely absurd on America's part, our reluctance to acknowledge our dark past is embarrassing, among other things). It does better than most, far better, but by QT's admission it still doesn't reflect the true horrors of slavery.

One should see Django Unchained with a mostly black audience. It was the greatest theater experience of 2012 for me, even over the Avengers. So frickin' cathartic.

Closed Thread