Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #101
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The semi TDK ripoff in Skyfall receiving more recognition than TDKR? Hmm...I wonder if Bonds 50th anniversary had something to do with that?

Laughable. That's all I can say.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Avengers is hilariously overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Yes. It's not amazing, like Spidey.
Quote:
Avengers is the emperor's new clothes.
Ok, I get it now. Your favorite film didn't get a nomination, so it's time to tear down all the other movies.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #102
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I loved TDKR (my favorite Bat movie) but I didn't think there was a single thing I thought was Oscar worthy. Well, maybe the sound editing but that's about it. With regards of the Special effects I saw several movies where I thought the effects were better than the effects in TDKR.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #103
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury View Post
Ok, I get it now. Your favorite film didn't get a nomination, so it's time to tear down all the other movies.
I don't know about them, but I wasn't being serious.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #104
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Fury View Post
I wanted ASM to get an effects nomination, sue me. That doesn't change my opinion I thought Avengers was overrated.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #105
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wanted ASM to get an effects nomination
Ewww.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #106
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Ewww.
You have your opinion and I have mine

Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #107
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know about them, but I wasn't being serious.
Sorry. I don't post here every day. I don't know everyone's normal way of expressing themselves.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #108
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
You have your opinion and I have mine
The Lizard alone is enough to curb any Oscar talk of Spidey. What a terrible looking creature. Looks like something out of 2001. Heck, even the aged Balrog from Fellowship destroys it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #109
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
It's not. But it is a virtue of Django Unchained. Especially in context of the lack of movies showing the horrors of slavery (absolutely absurd on America's part, our reluctance to acknowledge our dark past is embarrassing, among other things). It does better than most, far better, but by QT's admission it still doesn't reflect the true horrors of slavery.

One should see Django Unchained with a mostly black audience. It was the greatest theater experience of 2012 for me, even over the Avengers. So frickin' cathartic.
Fair enough. I haven't seen it yet, but will at some point. I suppose I dislike the notion of QT directing a shocking film about slavery, when he just wants to make a career out of putting silly comic violence, B-movie dialogue and cardboard characters to other film's music. It seems to cheapen the whole thing. But, I will approach it on its own merits.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #110
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
This is getting rather tired.
You getting tired by that argument ? This being written in this board is very funny and ironic

(altough i do agree with you that rip-off is a very exaggerated term to classify the movie. Influenced , like the other Bond movies were to Nolan's Batman. The son becomes the father , and the father becomes the son )

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #111
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
The Lizard alone is enough to curb any Oscar talk of Spidey. What a terrible looking creature. Looks like something out of 2001. Heck, even the aged Balrog from Fellowship destroys it.
I actually wasn't thinking of the Lizard, more the swinging effects.
I think the Lizard looked good but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #112
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fair enough. I haven't seen it yet, but will at some point. I suppose I dislike the notion of QT directing a shocking film about slavery, when he just wants to make a career out of putting silly comic violence, B-movie dialogue and cardboard characters to other film's music. It seems to cheapen the whole thing. But, I will approach it on its own merits.
He still manages to deliver a pretty even handed portrayal of the South even with his usual trademarks. Which is pretty spectacular. The violence on the slaves is surprisingly gritty, while the violence dealt to the slavers is over the top, almost cartoony, but it all works. The slavers are cardboards, but the main characters have enough nuances to them so the drama is not compromised. They skirt the line of over the top and three dimensional like most Tarrantino characters. They feel like they might exist in the real world, but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
You getting tired by that argument ? This being written in this board is very funny and ironic

(altough i do agree with you that rip-off is a very exaggerated term to classify the movie. Influenced , like the other Bond movies were to Nolan's Batman. The son becomes the father , and the father becomes the son )

If one or two small similarities are enough to brand Skyfall a TDK ripoff, then TDKR is The World is Not Enough 2.0.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #113
Sgt. Fury
Side-Kick

Quote:

One should see Django Unchained with a mostly black audience. It was the greatest theater experience of 2012 for me, even over the Avengers. So frickin' cathartic.
It expunged your white guilt or something?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #114
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I am not white. It was fun.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #115
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:

If one or two small similarities are enough to brand Skyfall a TDK ripoff, then TDKR is The World is Not Enough 2.0.
Plot devices dont make a movie similar. Its the approach the filmmakers have to the project , the thematic implications , how the material is handled , visual style , the form itself etc. Two movies can share the same exact plot and be completely different. And two movies that might not share the same plotting development , might be very similar (skyfall is in the middle) As i said , i dont agree to call it a rip-off , simply a clear influence of post-tdk blockbusters. I dont understand why some people have problem with that , especially considering the director stated that himself.

As for , tdkr I think some of the aspects that it might share with other movies , comes clearly from the influence that the director himself stated over and over of ...a tale of two cities. It's undeniable the influece. But you might call TDKR whatever you want to call. Con Air 2.0 for instance. Or Honey i Shrunk the Kids 3 and 1/2 .

Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #116
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I am not saying it is, just what it would be under Dark Knight's asinine logic.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #117
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

This is starting to get super sad. I can't believe so many fanboys thought 2008 was 2012.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 01-11-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #118
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
I am not saying it is, just what it would be under Dark Knight's asinine logic.
Ok. But its funny how some users react to different asinine statements.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #119
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
I disagree. Completely. You can't in good conscience tell me that Rises had more balls than Django Unchained or Zero Dark Thirty. The most vivid portrayal of slavery in the antebellum South and brutal dramatization of the utter dehumanization of torture (putting a dog collar on and forcing them to crawl on their feet like dogs ass naked in front of the peering eyes of women) are far more ballsy than mere glimpses (and that's all they were) of social unrest. Perhaps if Nolan expanded on that theme more you would have a point. But he didn't.
Well the difference is, one film is a PG-13 rated superhero tentpole film and the others are R rated films with a primarily adult target audience. It's almost apples and oranges, because a film like TDKR has a lot of inherent restrictions that the other films don't. It has to play to a much wider audience, so I factor it's "ballsiness" relative to that. I mean, a lot of people talk about how TDK felt like it was an R, but it did this without spilling a drop of blood. It was just the suggestion of violence. I feel TDKR, with just the suggestion of certain ideas and situations entered a territory far bleaker than most films of its kind dare to go. So, being that I haven't seen Django or ZDT yet (I really do want to) I probably spoke out of turn, but I guess I just meant it was ballsy relative to what you'd expect from the genre. Whereas with Django and ZDT, I know exactly the issues being tackled and given the track record of the filmmakers, I expect that the films are going to give an unflinching account of these things. Those are movies you go see because you know they are going to be edgy and hardcore.

But I also think TDKR was daring in ways beyond the social unrest angle, I also meant that it was daring in terms of ambition, the scale they did the action on, how much they shot practically, etc. In fact I think it took massive balls to even attempt to follow TDK at all. And some people would say Nolan failed spectacularly at doing so- but as regwec said, balls don't = quality.

Okay, that's enough talk about balls from me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #120
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

You said it was the most ballsy and ambitious of ALL films this year though. Not just PG13 action films.

Quote:
IMO TDKR had more balls and ambition than any other film from 2012.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #121
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Its a solid flick but I really couldn't say it had balls . If Nolan had actually killed Bruce Wayne and much of his supporting cast then I would have agreed with you. I really cant say it was outside the box except that it was influenced by Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns and No Mans Land which hadn't been done on film before. Other then that , the themes about dealing with retirement, the young brutal upstart vs the aging champ, and the protagonist going out on one last horah aren't the most original and daring themes in Hollywood films. They've been done over and over again for years in Hollywood films.

I would agree that the scale of the story was ambitious.
True, but I think that giving a definitive end to Bruce Wayne's time as Batman is where it was ballsy. Although I do agree that the stakes/drama would've been raised had they killed one or two important characters. I felt sure at one point that Lucius was gonna kick the bucket.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #122
regwec
Shakespearo

The most 'ballsy' thing would be if Batman failed- or rather, Bruce Wayne just concluded that the whole ruse had been a harmful indulgence, and he went to seek psychiatric help. Imagine if half of it had been in his head.

That would be really jarring.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #123
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
The most 'ballsy' thing would be if Batman failed- or rather, Bruce Wayne just concluded that the whole ruse had been a harmful indulgence, and he went to seek psychiatric help. Imagine if half of it had been in his head.

That would be really jarring.
Haha, that would actually be an interesting concept IMO. Definitely not worth exploring in the conclusion of a trilogy though.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #124
shauner111
Side-Kick

Tarantino/Django and TDKR got shafted big time this year.

I wouldn't necessarily give any awards to TDKR but it deserved a few nominations. I loved Skyfall but TDKR could have replaced some of those nods. Skyfall was like old Connery Bond with Craigs Bond mixed with strong elements from TDK. Even the score had a lot of Zimmer-Batman touches to it. Especially the elevator scene. It was my fav Bond but it's not exactly as original is it?

Dicaprio certainly deserved the supporting actor nomination, even though im happy for Christoph Waltz. Django Unchained was perhaps my fav film of the year. Or top 2 at least. QT is my favourite director and Django was fantastic...one of his best.

Tarantino's violence and pop culture references is probably the reason why the academy barely acknowledges him. And when they do, they certainly don't give the wins he deserves. It further proves (to me) that it's run by a bunch of old white men. When boring biopics and political U.S stuff are front & center all the time. Traditional OLD generation genres like musicals and silent films get the attention when they're outdated. Again, it tells me the people behind the Oscars are out of touch with the times.

Scorsese only gets something when he's an old man with a long career behind him. The Departed win and Best Director win for Marty was to shut him up, nothing more. If they truly cared, he would have received something big for Good Fellas, Raging Bull or Taxi Driver. Just like they snubbed Sergio Leone and Stanley Kubrick, they're doing the same with Quentin Tarantino and we'll see when time goes on how much they snub Christopher Nolan.

Where was Tarantinos award for "writing" back during the Inglourious Basterds days? How about this year....Did Paul Thomas Andersons DP get the nod for Best Cinematography (The Master)?? How about Wally Pfister or Hans Zimmer and their work on TDKR??

12 nominations for Lincoln. Hmm, i wonder what's about..

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #125
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Don't forget absolutely nothing for Moonrise Kingdom. They were probably too weirded out by twelve year olds kissing and feeling each other up.

Closed Thread