Side-Kick

Default Re: How to make Hawkman?

I thought legion did a pretty good job of designing Hawkman

Brawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #127
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Should the movie bring in, in the first movie, the whole reincarnation concept? Or save it for a sequel? And just have the first film be about an archeologist who finds the wings and becomes Hawkman? Or should the reincarnation concept be an essential part of the three film story, like the whole three films should revolve around Carter and Kendra and their reincarnation and past lives? Make the whole thing be about them being born, finding each other, dying, and getting born again?

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #128
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
Should the movie bring in, in the first movie, the whole reincarnation concept?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
And just have the first film be about an archeologist who finds the wings and becomes Hawkman?
Both!
The film should tie to ancient Egypt, and have a fantasy vibe.
A possible sequel should step into sci fi territorium, on the other hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawl View Post
I thought legion did a pretty good job of designing Hawkman

Hmm, why not Paul Bettany in the lead? He has enough star quality to help the film getting notice outside the comic book fanbase. And he's done some stylish action films lately (Legion being one of them).

Paul Bettany too british for a character who's a part of american popular culture history? Too soft/gentle for Bad-ass Hawkman? Too old to play an archeologist to becomes a superhero?

Last edited by Airwings; 07-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #129
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

from another Hawkman movie thread. Maybe they can merge them.
Quote:
I thought this was the old one.

You also get the Highlander flashbacks too. You get flashes of their past lives, in Ancient Egypt, in the old West, in Germany, in Thanagar, a lot of past lives where they can look different too (different bodies), but if the audience is told that this is the same guy and girl they will get it.

I really like his character, Hawkman's/Carter's. He is this guy who has lived hundreds of different lives, has been everywhere and seen everything, and is very sophisticated and cultured, but is also this angry barbarian who is trying to restrain himself. Also love the idea that he lives above a museum full of artifacts from his previous lives, and that he goes out searching for artifacts from those lives too as well as being Hawkman and fighting bad guys.
And Kendra would be the Hawkgirl I'd use, maybe call her Hawkwoman though, because her story is very interesting. She barely remembers Carter or her past lives and doesn't know if she fully trusts Carter. Plus he tells her they used to be in love for thousands of years. Its a lot for her to take and would make an interesting arc for her movie.

I don't know what the New 52 Hawkman is like, but the Johns/Robinson vesion from pre New 52 would be the one I would choose.

Oh, also you get the built in out for the actors. If the guy playing Carter wants out or the woman playing Kendra you can have them killed off and replaced with a new character. Maybe just use the idea that they did with Kendra. A descendant of Carter Hall died around the same time and his spirit went into him. Or something. But like Doctor Who you have built in outs for the actor that allow the story to keep going.

So you have the
Superman theme: alien from another planet on Earth to save it
Indiana Jones: Archaeologist and ancient artifacts and the past themes
Doctor Who: rebirth and regeneration + built in out for actors
and Highlander: flashes of past lives in different setting around the world.

I think that would help the studios see how valuable the movie could be if those themes are pointed out. Movies and shows that have already been out and worked with the audience. Themes they already know. Studios wont worry that audiences will be lost.

Last edited by Artistsean; 12-31-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #130
Airwings
Waves of air

The question still remains: could Bettany work for Carter Hall after showing his action skills in Legion and priest?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #131
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

I always thought Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain would be a cool template for a Hawkman movie. It is a love story that takes place in 3 different eras (sword-and-sandal/modern/futuristic) if you didn't know. You could sync up Egyptians worshiping their Thanagar "gods," the archaeologists uncovering these Egyptians remains, and the advanced alien Thanagarian civilization that comes to Earth.

Sorry this is a double post from the other Hawkman thread

Last edited by SlamAdams; 08-17-2014 at 09:55 PM.
SlamAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #132
Airwings
Waves of air

New post to wake up this old thread from the grave.

Do you think that the Butler/Rush blockbuster Gods of Egypt will turn the focus to Hawkman and a possible adaption?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #133
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

I like the original poster's suggestion of giving the movie a bit of an Indiana Jones spin. I want the sequence where he goes in and finds the armor/Nth metal to be trap filled and disaster ridden. Then the mystery of it unravels throughout the film like you said.

I think the Dr. Fate angle could be a little much for the origin film, but would be good for the sequel maybe. Or a very small part as the final revelation about the reincarnation or whatever.

Wow, now I really want to see this movie!

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #134
Heretic
Side-Kick

Personally, I am opposed to copycat characters in these movies. In my opinion, Hawkgirl has overtaken Hawkman in prominence for the general audience, so if there is a cinematic Hawkman, I'd kill him in his first appearance just as a way to introduce Hawkgirl. I know that most DC fans never get tired of copycats, but I can't stand it.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #135
Airwings
Waves of air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Personally, I am opposed to copycat characters in these movies. In my opinion, Hawkgirl has overtaken Hawkman in prominence for the general audience, so if there is a cinematic Hawkman, I'd kill him in his first appearance just as a way to introduce Hawkgirl. I know that most DC fans never get tired of copycats, but I can't stand it.
Then why would you kill off Hawkman, the original?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #136
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Then why would you kill off Hawkman, the original?
An excellent point. There is no reason why Hawkman and Hawkgirl can't be in the movie together. A superheroic duo would actually be fairly unique since we haven't seen that in a while (at least since Batman and Robin... and... yeah).

Done right, the dynamic could be really cool and the concept could be a winner. You'd knock out the romance part of the story as well since they're practically made for each other

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #137
Heretic
Side-Kick

I would kill Hawkman because in my opinion, he is less relevant to the general audience than Hawkgirl. Sometimes the copy becomes greater than the original. Since Hawkgirl is known from the cartoons...my assumption is that she may have more to offer on the screen.

And I'm all for a duo...but not a duo who are the same. DC is OBSESSED with this sort of crap, and it's the reason why they will never overtake Marvel.

"hey, we have an open spot...let's hype Adam Strange!"
"No...people like that Bat logo...lets do Bat...Woman!"
"Well, another spot just opened up...how about Booster Gold?"
"No...we gotta stick with logos over characters...thats all people care about...we'll do Superboy!"

The secret to making the general audience care is to make each person UNIQUE. Why should I give a crap about Flash if the Golden Age Flash, Kid Flash and Impulse are all running around? Why should I care about Green Lantern when there are THOUSANDS of people wearing that ring? How special could Hal Jordan really be???

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #138
Airwings
Waves of air

But back to the point. Will Alex Proyas' film affect Hawkman's popularity?
Paul Bettany for Carter - yay or nay? And why?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #139
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't really think Gods of Egypt is going to have much of an impact on Hawkman's chances at getting a film at all.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #140
Airwings
Waves of air

But I think it will. WB will see that they can make money on something similar.
It's all about the "flavor of the month".

Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #141
mat-chow
Side-Kick

But if Gods Of Egypt is another Clah Of The Titans (i.e. crappy excuse for an action film) and does the same not-really-overwhelming business would we even want WB to pick up on that thread? I don't think that film will have any impact on a Hawkman movie. It seems to me that there is a plan in place that is going to go through MOS2, possibly WW, possibly Flash but leading to JL. I am very skeptical that we will see anything other than big guns in theaters. Which is unfortunate because I truly believe a concept like Hawkman could really just be insanely good. I'd love for my thinking here to be proven wrong because we all know taking the risky step can have the biggest dividends. I just hope GL was a lesson learned and didn't scare them off.