The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles World

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
Casius--J
Web Master

Default Re: Who saw the original movie in theaters?

I was about 6 when it came out and I'm sure I saw it the first or second weekend it came out. I loved every moment of it, a little surprised though because I was use to a more lighthearted bunch of turtles and the movie to me back then seemed quite dark. Now that I'm older I appreciate it a lot more for what they achieved.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Who else remembered seeing news on it on Starlog magazine and seeing early pictures including poster ads to it on DC comics? i did and was excited for i couldn't wait.

And did anyone saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in theaters as a kid and remembered the trailer?

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I saw it at the theater when it first came out....and the funny thing about reading the comments in here...so many people saying they were 5 or 6 when they saw it....I was 33.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

33? wow!

And who else got this movie for christmas that year when it came out on video?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #30
jdogg willie
Side-Kick

My whole 5th grade class went to it for a classmate's birthday party, of course after the movie his mom took us to Domino's to get a few pizza's

Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #31
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

But I remember the second one better because everyone was so excited about Vanilla Ice being in it!

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

I was also 8 when I saw it in theaters. I think I saw it 3 times?

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #33
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

I saw it when I was five. I was used to the cartoon, but the gritty realistic take didn't throw me off or anything. I enjoyed it. Till this day, the turtles vs. Shredder is one of the best fights I've seen.

Tristan_McClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #34
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

I agree about the fight scene, that was awesome when they finally met face to face and who else thought the meditation scene was quite powerful?

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #35
ultimatereserve
Newbie First Class

First movie I ever saw in a theater. It was great. Had a birthday cake modeld after the poster the same year. Went to Kmart after to get the sound track and a set of plastic Ninja weapons. I wanted to go into the sewers so bad.

ultimatereserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatereserve View Post
First movie I ever saw in a theater. It was great. Had a birthday cake modeld after the poster the same year. Went to Kmart after to get the sound track and a set of plastic Ninja weapons. I wanted to go into the sewers so bad.
Wow! I had cakes that featured the turtles on it, but never one with those kind of details. That must have been an awesome time!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #37
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthkush View Post
Heh. That's back when Pizza Hut was still more of a sitdown restaurant. Back then, i felt special when we went to pizza hut lol. Seemed like around 1992 or 1993 it became more delivery based and less like an actual place to eat dinner at.
We used to go to Pizza Hut every Friday night when I was a kid. I was there for Comin' Out of Their Shells. I played Street Fighter I there.

I saw TMNT The Movie in theaters. And I remember seeing things on Entertainment Tonight about it... including a clip of the campfire scene which made me freak the hell out because I thought that meant Splinter was dead. It was also my gateway into the Mirage comics. Up to that point it was all toys, cartoon and a couple Archie comics. When I picked up the Archie edition of the movie adaptation comic my mind was blown(much like Mikey's in the new show after tasting pizza for the first time). From then on I hunted down Mirage comics to the best of my ability. My first one was probably an issue of the Return to New York arc.

It's really fun for me to share those movies with my son and to watch the new show with him every week. We had just gotten into the 2003 series when the Nick series started... so we have tons of TMNT watching to do.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #38
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Oooh cool, another one who remembered seeing the Coming out of their shells tour when i was 9 here in my city and i had a blast and even own the program and had the cassette album.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
Travesty
Feelin it in my bones!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"Eh ohs, I put on a smiley face mask and stuff. That ways, I can see faces"

-Robin John Blake
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Tristan_McClark
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I remember hearing about this and watching clips back in the day. TMNT was massive back then.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #41
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Awesome Re: Who saw the original movie in theaters?

I was 5 or 6 yo and I first saw it in Spanish& in Mexico while visiting relatives,I was used to seeing the cartoon in English so I felt weird going to see it in Spanish with English subtitles..But it was still an awesome experience and first thing I wanted to do when I got home in Texas was getting taken to go see it again.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #42
Raphael

I was in high school....senior...

Raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Wow, another older member over his 30s who saw this? wow Raph and you C. Lee must had a blast with this movie and did you thought it was true to the comics?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #44
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I did. I was so excited to see it and I fell asleep due to boredom and woke up only to see the awful ending. Splinter taking down Shredder like that was embarassingly terrible.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #45
Godzilla2000
A Healthy Addiction

I was in High School when I took my sisters to go see the movie.

- Don't let the baby face fool you.

"One loyal friend is worth 10 thousand relatives." - Euripides
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #46
superhero
Side-Kick

i was in middle shcool it was my first moive i saw in theater it was awesome i rember waiting on the seocnd one seeing the previews

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #47
MechaFresh

Th Cool Re: Who saw the original movie in theaters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordakfan View Post
I did when i was 8 years old as i recalled the year prior to it's release i heard on Starlog and Comicscene earlier in january of 89 at 7 that a movie was in the works, i was excited then later in december of that year i was shocked by seeing a photo of Leonardo in live-action. I remembered seeing Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 in theaters i saw the teaser to this movie and i was like "Wow, that looks awesome".

I saw it opening day when i lived in San Diego and WOW, what a movie. I saw it 4 times and loved it as i had and still own the CD soundtrack and had the cards, t-shirts, Burger King stuff and archie adaptation. I thought it was a great adaptation of the comics which i had read since i was 6 but fused it with the cartoon at the time.
I saw it opening weekend in San Diego as well LOL! It was on a Sunday and it was raining that afternoon. Boy was it packed, besides watching Robocop 2 in a crowded theater I feel the experience with the 1st TMNT movie was something to witness because it was very crowded with kids and parents, I can still picture the image in my head of a line wrapping around the theater with their umbrellas (it was raining) I was 7 at the time. Me and my family saw the flick at the now demolished Mann's Grove theater off of college station...saw a lot of great movies there. I remember my mother telling when I got home from school the Friday it came out we were gonna see it that Saturday but they were sold out. To this day, I still remember the smell and taste of nachos I had lol! I'll never forget the poster in the lobby (the one with all of them peeking from the manhole cover. The merchandise was crazy, I distinctly remember the Burger King tie-in's. Any-who, I saw the 2nd one in theaters when it released during spring break, my mom rented the 3rd one when it came out, I remember the kids in my class telling me it wasn't good because of the lack of shredder and foot soldiers.

MechaFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #48
Indy1Jones
Indiana Jones

I saw it with my older brother when I was 4.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #49
OutRiddled
Banned User

I don't actually remember going to see it, but I remember seeing the posters and get excited as hell. I, like a lot kids back in that time, were totally into TMNT. The cartoon show and the toys (I remember getting them for christmas).

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #50
DarbyD53
Side-Kick

I remember standing in line opening day to see it and I remember how packed the theater was. I was 8 at the time. To this day that was the longest line I've waited in for a movie. I wish I could go back to that day and know exactly what I felt watching it and feel the excitment again.

The 2nd time I saw it in theater wasn't as pleasent of a memory. My father was a bit of a drinker so from time to time mom and I would leave the house and go stay somewhere over night. Usually my grandma's or something but for some reason we went to town and got a hotel room. But before we did she took me to see TMNT again and when we left bought me a new TMNT coloring book and crayons to keep me something to do in the hotel room.

I also remember the day I saw it in a store to buy. We thought there was no way it could be out on VHS yet, thought it was a scam so we didn't get it, but then we got home (35 miles away from town) and told my Dad and he gave us the money to get get it and KFC chicken bucket meal which back then was like hitting jackpot for a 8 year old.

DarbyD53 is offline   Reply With Quote