Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Stand-Alone Movies

Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Default Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Quote:
Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

By Claude Brodesser-Akner | VULTURE

Back in November, the Los Angeles Times reported that Man of Steel and 300 director Zack Snyder said he had no interest in directing the hotly anticipated seventh Star Wars film. But Vulture has learned that while this may be specifically true — he won’t be doing Episode VII — it was a bit of misdirection: He is in fact developing a Star Wars project for Lucasfilm that is set within the series’ galaxy, though parallel to the next trilogy. It will be an as-yet-untitled Jedi epic loosely based on Akira Kurosawa’s 1954 classic Seven Samurai, with the ronin and katana being replaced by the Force-wielding knights and their iconic lightsabers. (Go ahead, say it — you know you want to: “ … an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.” Felt good, didn’t it?)

It’s not clear just where Snyder’s untitled Jedi film would fall within the Star Wars chronology, but one insider expects it will not be considered part of the “numbered” episodes, but rather a stand-alone film set sometime post–Episode VI events, meaning the next phase of the franchise development is much broader than previously thought. For those unfamiliar, Kurosawa’s influential Seven Samurai (The Magnificent Seven was the American remake) tells the tale of a small agrarian town in seventeenth-century Japan that’s routinely pillaged by bandits. Fed up with the annual shakedown, its farmers retain the services of seven masterless samurai to defend their harvest. George Lucas has cited the classic as one of his favorites, telling the Telegraph in 2005 that “it’s a brilliant, brilliant film, and every time I see it I can't believe the magic mixture of a great story and great acting and humour and action and suspense — wonderful cinema. The art of moving pictures is on every frame of this movie.”

In late October of last year, when Disney CEO Bob Iger first announced the acquisition of Lucasfilm, he’d stated that after Episode VII, “our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.” Our sources also say that Snyder’s would start production after Disney starts on its planned 2015 release of Star Wars: Episode VII, and while no director has yet been set for Episode VII, clearly things are taking shape at Lucasfilm. (A spokesperson for Lucasfilm declined comment.)

In the meantime, we are left to ponder the obvious geek questions: Do Snyder’s Jedi carry just a single lightsaber or a long one and a short one, like samurai do? Oh God, why do you torture us so!?
http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-...wars-film.html

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Slow-mo lightsaber fights, here we come.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

YES! Do want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

A new Star Film.
Another remake of Seven Samurai.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

^This

Why Seven Samurai ? Kurosawa has done a lot films worth taking ides from, why does it have to be the Seven Samurai again and again and again !

Since it isnt part of the "numbered" movies they could use the Throne of Blood story, featuring rogue Jedi Knights (since it's set after ROTJ), Sith force spirits manipulating them. guys its badass !

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Awesome news.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm a Star Wars nut, Seven Samurai is one of my absolute favorite movies ever and I think Zack Snyder has a great visual eye. Still divided about my opinion of him as a director in general, but that could all change after MoS which looks fantastic. So this news sure got me a bit wet, I can't deny that.

I don't want a straight remake of Seven Samurai, but taking the concept and putting it in such a wildly different context, intrigues me.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Zack Snyder Shoots Down Report He's Developing 'Star Wars' Film
The "Man of Steel" filmmaker is not developing a "Seven Samurai"-style "Star Wars" off-shoot, his rep tells THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borys Kit
Director Zack Snyder has come forward to deny a report claiming he's journeying to a galaxy far, far away.

New York magazine's Vulture blog reported Monday that Snyder, the director behind 300, Watchmen and the upcoming Man of Steel, was developing a Star Wars movie. According to the site, the feature would not be part of the planned numbered trilogy but would be an off-shoot tonally in the vein of the Japanese classic The Seven Samurai.

But in an exclusive statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Snyder's spokesperson says: "While he is super flattered because he is a huge fan, Zack is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars. He is currently in post on his two films, Man of Steel and 300: Battle of Artemisia.”

That means no Episode VII, VIII or IX, and no offshoot movies, the rep confirms.

The idea of Snyder tackling a Star Wars project isn’t far-fetched. Lucasfilm is currently on the hunt for a filmmaker or two to tackle the final trilogy, which is in the process of being written by Michael Arndt. Directors ranging from J.J. Abrams to Jon Favreau to Matthew Vaughan have surfaced as possible (or dream) contenders.

And as THR previously revealed, the company is developing movies that would expand the Star Wars universe in off-shoot one-shots or trilogies. Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote 1981's Empire Strikes Back, and Simon Kinberg, a veteran of X-Men: First Class, are two writers penning stories that veer off the numbered movies.

Snyder, whose Cruel and Unusual Films is based at Warner Bros., is already busy with his own projects. In active development on his slate is the war drama The Last Photograph.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

They denied it. Doesn't mean it isn't true. And they never specified what Star Wars movie. Episode VII? Or the Seven Samurai? Publicists are paid to do these things.

Randal Graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Dynamite meet boom.

Quote:
UPDATE: Though the Hollywood Reporter quoted Snyder's rep as saying that he "is not involved in any way with the new Star Wars," Vulture stands by its story. This reporter heard through a source very familiar with the situation that Snyder recently flew up to Marin County to meet with Lucasfilm execs about the project. When subsequently contacted by Vulture, Snyder's spokesperson would only repeat that he "is" not currently involved. One should note the possible political ramifications here of our original story break: Snyder's last Warner Bros. film, Sucker Punch, lost millions for the studio, and execs there could have become distressed at the idea of him getting involved with another studio's franchise when they have so much at stake with their upcoming Man of Steel want him available for an immediate sequel.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-...ulture+Blog%29

Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
A new Star Film.
Another remake of Seven Samurai.
Already done.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Gabe99
Side-Kick

From twitter:
Jeff Sneider ‏@TheInSneider
Quote:
No clue how REAL the Zack Snyder - Star Wars offshoot rumors are but I GUARANTEE he met with Kathy Kennedy to pitch her that Seven Jedi idea

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Interesting. I wonder what that might mean for a possible MoS2, or his desire to do one.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I want both lol

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #15
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Ich auch.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #16
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Anyone else bothered about oversaturation.I mean we have talks about starwars tv shows,films and now offshoot films.....isnt that too much

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 AM   #17
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Nevah, this is gonna be my golden age as a moviegoer.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
fangz
Side-Kick

not particularly this, but this exact kind of thing is why i was so excited when i first heard the Disney/Lucasfilm buyout news.

i just thought it would take 10 or 15 years before it would be allowed to happen.

Star Wars needs to be the same kind of thing as WWII movie. in the sense that u can have From Here To Eternity, Saving Private Ryan and Inglorious Bastards all be WWII movies.
this is so rad.

fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
johnrain
Side-Kick

Do the 7 all have to be Jedi? Why not 7 differing warrior/bad ass types? A Jedi, a droid, a bounty hunter, a Dathomir witch, A smuggler, a slicer and a pilot?

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

This has already been debunked, but yes they would all have to be Jedi. Just like they were all Samurais, and all Cowboys.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #21
Octoberist
point blank

I think Zack came in for a pitch for maybe Episode 7 and along the way pitch his spinoff idea. But the problem is that his idea cannot contradict what Arndt, Kinberg and Kasdan (and now JJ) are planning for Episode 7, and the perhaps the future Episodes. I think that's why it probably didn't work out with Zack.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
bullets
bang bang

I like the idea. Hopefully they can still work something out.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Is this going to be the Yoda movie?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

So I guess this means that the fanboy desired Boba Fett solo film will get made-- but of course there's going to be all kinds of backbiting before an official script gets written, will anything possibly live up to the "what if" speculation of it? You can fill a galaxy with all the fan-fiction, official novels and comics written.. we'll see..

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
So I guess this means that the fanboy desired Boba Fett solo film will get made-- but of course there's going to be all kinds of backbiting before an official script gets written, will anything possibly live up to the "what if" speculation of it? You can fill a galaxy with all the fan-fiction, official novels and comics written.. we'll see..
I wouldn't mind an adaption of the Enemy of the Empire storyline. We would get Boba, Vader, and see them fight each other. The rest of the story could be tweaked as its a bit forgettable (but not as forgettable as the Death, Lies, and Treachery series), but I think it could draw a crowd.