Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #76
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Wallcrawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderdevil View Post
No

The part where he is swinging in and the police tracer hits him,it looked CGI and I though it was CGI,but on watching the behind the scenes reel,I saw that it was actually practically done
I think you need to re-watch Spider-Man 2 again. There were many shots of Doc Ock especially that looked like a video game.

You really thought that scene in TASM looked CGI? It wasn't... so I don't know how it looked like a video game.

Quote:
Though it looked unimpressive compared to CGI swinging scenes
Well of course, there is so much you could do with practical effects.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #77
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Too many cuts within a fight makes it terrible even if it is well set up
The OSCORP tower fight is a perfect example of this,the fight was an excellent one but too many cuts and poor editing made it look disoriented and not so great

And TASM uses maximum practical stunts
The whole subway thing is practical,the two times he jumps of sky scrapers and the handstand is practical,the whole starting of school fight is practical and Andrew had himself thrown into two walls,the fight with the police is practical,Swat vs Lizard is practical except the Lizard,the first swinging sequence is Practical,the starting of the sewer fight is practical,a lot of the final sequence is Practical

CGI is only used when it was absolutely unavoidable
Put it this way, I was more engaged watching the practicle swinging under the bridge then the crane swinging hundreds of feet above the city. There was just a power behind the practicle swinging that the CG swinging lacked. When Spidey is almost hit by the cab and then swings under the bridge there is a moment before he fires his web line where he crosses his legs, it's a small detail but it's 'real' where as the CG swining is a little too perfect.

I will give props to one CG swinging scene and it's just before Spidey is hit by a tazer, he shots out his web (with the helicopter behind him). The scene is pretty much all blue with the lighting coming from the helicopter. The motion of the web and Spidey tugging on the web for forward momentum is freaking fantastic. Probably my favorite CG shot.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #78
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Put it this way, I was more engaged watching the practicle swinging under the bridge then the crane swinging hundreds of feet above the city. There was just a power behind the practicle swinging that the CG swinging lacked. When Spidey is almost hit by the cab and then swings under the bridge there is a moment before he fires his web line where he crosses his legs, it's a small detail but it's 'real' where as the CG swining is a little too perfect.

I will give props to one CG swinging scene and it's just before Spidey is hit by a tazer, he shots out his web (with the helicopter behind him). The scene is pretty much all blue with the lighting coming from the helicopter. The motion of the web and Spidey tugging on the web for forward momentum is freaking fantastic. Probably my favorite CG shot.
I disagree. The swinging in the Raimi films was too "perfect," where you see him struggle while swinging in TASM.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #79
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Talking about the CG in ASM vs SM2
I think the CG in ASM was better but the situation Spidey was placed in SM2 (clock tower and train) was better so I was paying less attention to the CG on the train/clocktower because I was so engaged with what I was watching.

If I'm completely engaged by what I am watching I will/can forgive a hell of a lot.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #80
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I disagree. The swinging in the Raimi films was too "perfect," where you see him struggle while swinging in TASM.

I agree that the swinging is better in ASM. I've talking about ASM swinging real vs practicle.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #81
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Talking about the CG in ASM vs SM2
I think the CG in ASM was better but the situation Spidey was placed in SM2 (clock tower and train) was better so I was paying less attention to the CG on the train/clocktower because I was so engaged with what I was watching.

If I'm completely engaged by what I am watching I will/can forgive a hell of a lot.
Well that's different. The train battle was really intense, and I never really cared about the CGI looking like a video game.

Quote:
I agree that the swinging is better in ASM. I've talking about ASM swinging real vs practicle.
Yes I know, lol. I'm just saying that even the CGI swinging in TASM looked "imperfect" and felt more real, especially compared to Raimi's.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #82
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Well that's different. The train battle was really intense, and I never really cared about the CGI looking like a video game.

Yes I know, lol. I'm just saying that even the CGI swinging in TASM looked "imperfect" and felt more real, especially compared to Raimi's.
Agreed.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #83
Picard Sisko

I wish they would re-release the Raimi films in theaters someday with remastered special effects and CGI.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #84
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Quote:
I wish they would re-release the Raimi films in theaters someday with remastered special effects and CGI.
And in the case of SM3, of course as a DC

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
DerSpider-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #85
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
TDK and TDKR had CGI?
Not too much(Apart from Two-face),most of the stuff was practically done
Two-Face, The Bat when it was flying at incredible speeds...still CGI and still pretty dang real looking, which is always the best kind of CGI to have in a film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #86
Picard Sisko

There is very little CGI in the Nolan films, so whatever CGI they did use got more attention and detail.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #87
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

I'm not sure how we went from wallcrawling to CGI production values, but...

unfortunately CGI is a big part of movie production these days and most especially when it involves a character such as Spider-Man. There are certain things that become impossible, impractical, or even unsafe for stuntmen to perform so CGI is relied upon to complete the task. And it really doesn't matter what movie you're talking about, there will be CG shots that truly impress and those that are just so-so but it's an ever evolving product. It's like SM2 special effects supervisor John Dykstra said, "our worst shot (cgi) of the next movie has to be better than our best shot of the previous movie."

The CGI work in ASM is far better than what is seen in the previous trilogy however there are still moments where it's not seamless and the effects are not as polished as they should be. IMO ASM did a great job with conveying the 'weight' or more real sense of physics with the movements of the character. SM2 imo is the only film from Raimi that has CG that still holds up really well from start to finish. Although it's become dated, like most films do, there are some really awesome shots and there really isn't a huge gap between the low and high end. SM1 however has some really good work i.e. Spidey dodging the pumpkin razors in the burning bldg to flat out horrible i.e the wallcrawling after Ben's death. SM3 seems to fit into the same boat as SM1 with a large gap between the good and bad. Good being the Sandman creation scene and the bad being the first Harry/Peter fight.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #88
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
There is very little CGI in the Nolan films, so whatever CGI they did use got more attention and detail.
And as I said....still some of the best in a CBM. Saying the only little CGI gets a lot of attention isn't saying much when I loved all the CGI in Avengers as well. It's not so much how much CGI is used but just how much detail all of its given, either if a little such as TDK/TDKR or a lot in Avengers. With how much went with TAS-M, I can't say I loved it all.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #89
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

I loved the part in The Amazing Spider-Man where CGI Spidey's webs stuck to actual objects.

And I find it funny that people complain his swinging in the crane scene was too perfect. That's kinda the point. A bunch of people came together to help Spider-Man after all the crap the kid went through and how much he was struggling. So even after he is given help to get back into the fight with the Lizard, you STILL want him to struggle. How stupid would that of been, with him struggling to swing even after that help, and the score playing in the background?

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #90
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
And as I said....still some of the best in a CBM. Saying the only little CGI gets a lot of attention isn't saying much when I loved all the CGI in Avengers as well. It's not so much how much CGI is used but just how much detail all of its given, either if a little such as TDK/TDKR or a lot in Avengers. With how much went with TAS-M, I can't say I loved it all.
I remember there was some CGI in TDK where the Tumbler turns into the Bat... and it looked fake. Same with the helicopter exploding.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #91
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I remember there was some CGI in TDK where the Tumbler turns into the Bat... and it looked fake. Same with the helicopter exploding.
Very much disagree on these.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #92
TheForgotten
Side-Kick

I haven't seen TDK in a long time so I think I might wanna re-watch the film now!

I don't remember any CGI in Batman Begins that was terrible.

I think Batman lends himself to practical effects because unlike Spider-Man, he doesn't have insane powers like wall-crawling. (Though you can still do wall-crawling w/out CGI AND w/out it looking cheap.)

TheForgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #93
Picard Sisko

The scene was so short and subtle, so it didn't make much of a difference.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #94
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Would I be correct that Spider-Man haven't built a revolving room (like in Inception) for all 4 movies? I would have thought this is an obviously way to have Spidey walking on walls.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #95
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Would I be correct that Spider-Man haven't built a revolving room (like in Inception) for all 4 movies? I would have thought this is an obviously way to have Spidey walking on walls.
What? Rephrase that...

Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #96
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
What? Rephrase that...

Revolving room.
You build the entire room but 'fix' all the objects in place so when the room revolves none of the objects fall to the 'floor'. You then 'lock' the camera in place to match the revolving room. You can then start revolving the room and the plain of gravity remains the same but the room is moving. The gravity is in line with the floor then the wall then the ceiling.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

You could shot one pass where Spidey is on the 'ceiling' and then shot another pass where the criminal (for example) is on the floor and then comp the two passes together in post.

Ultra realistic effects that requires zero CG.
I'm amazed Sony hasn't utilised this effect in any of the 4 movies it has made.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #97
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
The scene was so short and subtle, so it didn't make much of a difference.
Even if it can be called short and subtle, still don't see how the CGI looks fake, lol.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #98
Picard Sisko

Well I guess that's just a matter of opinion, lol. CGI looks like CGI anyways.