The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #426
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

He probably only saw a part of Returns and thought it was meh compared to the first. But says he's seen it or it was good in public so he doesnt get in **** for it. Especially while he was promoting the movie, he probably lied a bit.

As for him watching Nolans movies. He's said that he's seen a bit of Batman Begins and TDK but not much. He loved what he saw and says it's the direction he hoped to go in for the 3rd Burton movie.

But he knows the character a lot more than those involved with Batman (the tv series AND the Burton/Shumacher movies). He's well aware of The Dark KNight Returns. And i remember him saying that he would have done a movie like that.

I still think he would make a fantastic older Bruce when the time comes for a Batman Beyond. Im sure he would be up for it if they approached him. He loves the character and he's proud of the first movie. Of course the only thing he was never big on was actually putting on the costume. If he could play Bruce Wayne only, he'd be thrilled im sure.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #427
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

The idea of a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton playing Bruce would melt my face. I really, really wish the reboot went in that direction. Keaton coming back is a pipe dream, but I think Beyond would be the perfect way to continue the Batman series for a few reasons:

- It builds upon one of the final ideas of TDKR, that Batman is more than just one man. In this way it would be a spiritual successor to what came last, without being literally tied to the same continuity.
- It would allow this Batman to exist in its own world, so it doesn't have to worry too much about staying consistent with the JL continuity
- You could still have plenty of flashbacks to Bruce as Batman in his prime, ala Return of the Joker. Roles for the Bat-family to play too.
- Pushes things into a more Sci-Fi realm, so it could still feel gritty and grounded while allowing for more fantastical elements

I know this is getting way off topic here, but that idea of Keaton playing old Bruce in a Batman Beyond film was just like candy to me.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #428
Street Vendor
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I always laugh that on Letterman when promoting the movie he claimed, ''It's much, much better than the other one. It's good...''

I remember before BR was released, everyone seemed to say it was better than the first; Keaton, many critics(such as Richard Corliss and the Newsweek reviewer), stars at the premiere(not the cast but people like Schwarzenegger and Will Smith), the general public interviewed right after the premier(I have all of this stuff on VHS tape somewhere), etc. My first impressions when I saw BR for the first time was that, except for the weak finale with the Penguin's marching on Gotham Square, it was better than the first movie. All of the people I saw it with on opening night liked it better.
And then, within a few weeks of release, there was this backlash against the movie. It was strange at the time, since I thought Burton did a much better job with the second movie, and looked forward to him doing a third(which, alas, never happened).

http://spidermannews.com/

No guns, no killing.
Street Vendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #429
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Could a Beyond film not receive criticism about being similar to Iron Man, especially with how I imagine its scenes of flight and anything to with the Batsuit would be?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #430
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The idea of a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton playing Bruce would melt my face.
This mirrors my feelings with hilarious precision. Well put. lol

Quote:
I really, really wish the reboot went in that direction. Keaton coming back is a pipe dream, but I think Beyond would be the perfect way to continue the Batman series for a few reasons:

- It builds upon one of the final ideas of TDKR, that Batman is more than just one man. In this way it would be a spiritual successor to what came last, without being literally tied to the same continuity.
- It would allow this Batman to exist in its own world, so it doesn't have to worry too much about staying consistent with the JL continuity
- You could still have plenty of flashbacks to Bruce as Batman in his prime, ala Return of the Joker. Roles for the Bat-family to play too.
- Pushes things into a more Sci-Fi realm, so it could still feel gritty and grounded while allowing for more fantastical elements

I know this is getting way off topic here, but that idea of Keaton playing old Bruce in a Batman Beyond film was just like candy to me.
My god, man. You keep doing this 'showing me the awesome side of things' thing.

I was sort of set in this mindset that, 'I want a Beyond movie, but it's not time for it until we've established a fully matured Batman (the character, not the rating), better captured elements of him that have thus far been underplayed, and gone through more of his career and villains.'

But when you put it that way, it's like the magic door is open and the director's chair is waiting. I think I'm game.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #431
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Could a Beyond film not receive criticism about being similar to Iron Man, especially with how I imagine its scenes of flight and anything to with the Batsuit would be?
Fair point, but Iron Man caught a little bit of criticism for reflecting Batman Begins iirc. It's hard to appear fully original with superhero films.

This would be more widespread of course as it deals with the superhero's abilities, which is more mainstream and discussed...

Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #432
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
This mirrors my feelings with hilarious precision. Well put. lol

My god, man. You keep doing this 'showing me the awesome side of things' thing.

I was sort of set in this mindset that, 'I want a Beyond movie, but it's not time for it until we've established a fully matured Batman (the character, not the rating), better captured elements of him that have thus far been underplayed, and gone through more of his career and villains.'

But when you put it that way, it's like the magic door is open and the director's chair is waiting. I think I'm game.
Hehe, thanks man, glad you are open to a few ideas

But yeah, I mean as much as I think Beyond would be a great way to reboot Batman while reinventing it in a pretty extreme way for movie audiences, I don't expect it to happen. An Arkham-style reboot seems more likely at this point. The one problem Beyond poses is you don't really have the same access to the classic rogues gallery (although ROTJ showed there are ways around this). I do absolutely think that one day, it'll happen. WB is always going to need ways to keep Batman fresh if they want it to stay one of their flagship franchises for decades to come.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #433
RustyCage
Come what may..

By Arkham, do you mean the game series?

Hopefully they'll have a different art director. I'd like to stay away from the whole bimbos and steroids vibe.

If you mean something more like Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth or some other sort of psycho-analytical thing, that could be way cool.

I wouldn't mind something along the lines of Batman lurking through Arkham and reflecting on a number of villains in their cells as he passes them, like a collection of short noirish stories, each with their own unique point to make that build up to a collective commentary on Batman.

When he arrives at the cell he came for, climax. Could be good man, could be really good.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #434
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, I meant the games. It's been vaguely rumored for a while that it could be the direction the movies take, but who the heck knows really. I think when people reference the Arkham games in relation to the film reboot, they usually mean something that's serious while being extremely faithful to the comics and having a bit of a gothic flair to it.

But the Grant Morrison Arkham-inspired film would be something else. If they ever get into a mode where filmmakers are making one-off Batman films, I'd love to see it. Could Batman's foray into the horror genre.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #435
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A Serious House on a Serious Earth scares me a lot.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #436
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Maybe not for you. But you're not the litmus test for everyone who watched it. There's 2 hour movies that can drag.
Not to mention she's 80 friggin years old and probably not as obsessed with nolan films as some on here.

Also, all this "they don't understand the characters they played" comments are comical. Adam West's Batman is STILL then most comic accurate portrayal of the character, and people would know that if they read a Batman comic before Frank Miller started writing it. Adam West's Batman was the Silver Age Batman to a T. Ward, Newmar, Meredith, Gorshin, and Romero did excellent jobs in their respective roles as well. Just because they're not gushing about whatever post 1985 Batman comic they read does not mean they didnt understand the characters they played, and their performances are obvious proof of that.

Last edited by The Batman; 01-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #437
shauner111
Side-Kick

Adam Wests is still the most comic accurate portrayal of the character? Yeak ok....

Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #438
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Like I said, anyone who has actually read a Batman comic from the 50's-60's would know exactly what I'm talking about, especially since the show adapted comic stories from that time period and even had Bill Finger write some episodes.

Last edited by The Batman; 01-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #439
shauner111
Side-Kick

I think Keaton would be great as Bruce in Beyond. It would have to be within the next 15-18 years or so. If it doesn't happen that way, i think they could possibly do it with Bale if they wait until he hits his 60's at least. That's 25 to 30 years from now.

I would prefer Keaton actually, but Bale would be awesome as well. It shows (both times) that Batman as a symbol has gone on for a long time.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #440
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Like I said, anyone who has actually read a Batman comic from the 50's-60's would know exactly what I'm talking about, especially since the show adapted comic stories from that time period and even had Bill Finger write some episodes.
West is still not exactly accurate. And i wasn't questioning the fact that he has similarities to that eras Batman, but that he's the most comic accurate Batman yet. That's ridiculous to me.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #441
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Yep... even Mark Hamill himself has stated that if your looking for the most comic-accurate protrayal of Batman, comic to screen, it's undoubtedly the Adam West show. It's the 50's-60's Batman up on the screen.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #442
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
West is still not exactly accurate. And i wasn't questioning the fact that he has similarities to that eras Batman, but that he's the most comic accurate Batman yet. That's ridiculous to me.
It's ridiculous to you because you clearly have an ignorance of any kind of Batman that isn't dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Yep... even Mark Hamill himself has stated that if your looking for the most comic-accurate protrayal of Batman, comic to screen, it's undoubtedly the Adam West show. It's the 50's-60's Batman up on the screen.
Ding, ding, ding. And Mark Hamill, having actually grown up in that time period, knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by The Batman; 01-16-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #443
shauner111
Side-Kick

I do have an ignorance towards it i admit that. Some of it is funny but it's not Batman. And i can care less if the silver-age was goofy. I dont like it, and i stand by the fact that the 50s and 60s was not the real Batman.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #444
The Batman
The Dark Knight

^ I just hope you remember those "facts" the next time someone criticizes TDKR as not being Batman...cause I'd hate to see you come in and say "Its just your opinion" after this.

The only actual "fact" is that the TV show, whether people like it or not, took less liberties with Batman than Burton or Nolan.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #445
shauner111
Side-Kick

TDKR and Nolans trilogy was still closer to the original spirit of the character, and so was Burtons first movie to the original Bob Kane Batman than West ever dreamed of being. That was a spoof and even Bob Kane was insulted by it. The comics at that time ventured off into something very different than what it was in the first several years. The 70s and modern era was still another different thing but once again...the "spirit" of the original character was brought back.

It doesnt matter to me if u experts say West was accurate to the silver-age and its the most....whatever. That crap is a phony version of Batman to me (even though it's comical..and it's good comedy unlike Clooney).

Im not a comic reading expert. But somebody like Michael Uslan is. And if he says that Batman Forever was the silver-age Batman/Robin and West was its own thing (and that Batman and Robin was an homage to the tv series. Together they were spoofs of everything) Then i believe him over Mark Hamill.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #446
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Bob Kane wasn't insulted when the show was on the air and he was raking in the money...

In fact I wouldn't listen to Bob Kane about most things.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #447
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I would argue that BTAS is a more comic accurate than the 60s series, because the 60s show represented the Silver Age but BTAS encapsulated pretty much all the eras up to that point, including the early Kane/Finger stuff, with the art deco style and the use of some of the classic Joker stories from that era. It used many specific comic storylines as a reference for episodes, and Denny O'Neil wrote the Ra's al Ghul episodes, etc. And when the Timm/Dini-verse moved into Justice League, that is where they got more Silver Age-y.

I enjoy the 60s series for the camp value, but admittedly it's hard for me to get past the aspect of it being a blatant parody when Batman can be such a rich mythology if taken seriously. At the same time it's undeniable that it took Batman to a new level in pop culture, so I respect it for that. It's a huge part of Bat-history, and a primary example of how versatile the the character is. Nolan even paid homage to it, with the mask Joker uses in the bank heist and (arguably) by having Batman fight in daylight at the end of TDKR and rushing out to sea to get rid of a ticking time bomb. Oh, and also Catwoman's design...to be on topic for a change

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 01-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #448
shauner111
Side-Kick

I respect it for what it did for Batmans name. And it has funny aspects to it no doubt. But it is a parody. And the comics of that period weren't in good shape when it came to Batman. It was also very different in tone and i even look at that as a parody as well.

So peeps can say West was accurate to a certain era. But to me that just means it was accurate to an era that didn't represent Batman accurately. And that's my stance on it, and im not budging.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #449
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I would argue that BTAS is a more comic accurate than the 60s series, because the 60s show represented the Silver Age but BTAS encapsulated pretty much all the eras up to that point, including the early Kane/Finger stuff, with the art deco style and the use of some of the classic Joker stories from that era. It used many specific comic storylines as a reference for episodes, and Denny O'Neil wrote the Ra's al Ghul episodes, etc. And when the Timm/Dini-verse moved into Justice League, that is where they got more Silver Age-y.
B:TAS is my favourite interpretation of the Bat-mythology ever... Not even the greatness of Nolan's trilogy could knock it from it's perch.

The whole DCAU for that matter.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #450
shauner111
Side-Kick

BTAS is MIGHTY.