The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #426
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post

Where was this kinda support when the film was in theatres?!
I know, its a shame, cant believe it didnt even make $20 million domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Takes a while for word of mouth to spread sometimes. Sucks though. I personally wouldn't have guessed the budget was as low as it was. It's a damn crime it couldn't make back a measly $45 mil.
Yep, hopefull the WOM means great home sales which in turn mean a sequel, it would be a crime not to see a sequel to this, pun intended.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #427
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Well that's a shame. I thought the "John Carpenter does Die Hard" vibe Travis brought to proceedings was great.

Still, fingers crossed for that sequel.
It is a shame, but I think if Alex Garland returns as writer/producer, a sequel would still be in safe hands.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #428
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue trooper View Post
It is a shame, but I think if Alex Garland returns as writer/producer, a sequel would still be in safe hands.
Totally agree. Garland's involvement matters most. He's the man with the plan.

(And if they brought Paul Leonard Morgan to whip up another amazing score, then that'd be good too.)

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #429
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yep, with rumours of Travis being sacked, etc, it seems there were some issues behind the scenes, so him not returning may not be a bad thing. I think someone like Michael J.Bassett(Solomon Kane) could do with with a Dredd sequel if Garland was involved.

I'm sure Garland said he wont be involved if they do a sequel previously though, it was in an interview on the web-site we cant name.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #430
DarkKnight
Side-Kick

WOW. I just watched this movie the other night and I LOVED IT. I think this movie is without a doubt one of the biggest action films of 2012 that went under the radar. I do admit I planned to watch it in the theater, but it was out before I had a chance. The special effects and the way they handled the slowmo sequences were superb, I havent reacted to this type of special effects since the first time I watched The Matrix back in 1999. Dredd was a great movie and I'll be adding it to my blueray collection as well.

I hope that Dredd's DVD sales will help its numbers and allow a sequel, but as much as I love this movie, I have the fear it is going to become one of those adored cult classic labeled films.

Last edited by DarkKnight; 01-13-2013 at 10:43 PM.
DarkKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #431
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Apparently The Raid writers read the leaked Dredd script back in 2008 or so. Which is why its so similar
Is this confirmed?

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #432
obin_gam
Side-Kick

anyone know what special features are on the bluray? I cant find any info at all about that..

- Gene Wilder
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #433
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte_Sun View Post
Is this confirmed?
Don't think so. The Raid's writers will never admit to it publicly in any event.

If they did swipe from Dredd's leaked script it would not be the first time 2000AD had an idea nicked from them for a film (the film 'Hardware' was a brazen swipe from a short 'Future shock' story in 2000AD. After legal action they settled out of court in the end with that one, having to add credits to the original stories writer & artist for future copies)

Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #434
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
I hope that Dredd's DVD sales will help its numbers and allow a sequel, but as much as I love this movie, I have the fear it is going to become one of those adored cult classic labeled films.
Let's see what the sales chart shows this week. I'm hoping for very solid numbers.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 AM   #435
MeenieWK
Screw Loose

Got the Bluray,
I was in the Store before they had even put the new releases on the shelves.

Amazing Film
Urban is fantastic
Thirlby is utterly hot.

Awful Bluray transfer... Im wondering if it because it is meant to be viewed in 3D.

I am going to clear the stored memory in my BRplayer tonight and have another look at it, to ensure it wasnt my play cocking it up, but it seemed to jump between HD and what looked like a bootleg copy (and i dont mean in a good/gritty intentional way)

MeenieWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #436
Terminator
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by obin_gam View Post
anyone know what special features are on the bluray? I cant find any info at all about that..
There's a feature on the comics, 3D, and like a minute featurette. And trailers.

Honestly there's not much to it. Studios are treating Blu Rays like DVDs now and I fear there will be a Unrated Judgment Cut or something.

I say now but the Die Hard Blu Ray I bought a few years ago had nothing on it and the picture was worse than my DVD. I was pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeenieWK View Post
Got the Bluray,
I was in the Store before they had even put the new releases on the shelves.

Amazing Film
Urban is fantastic
Thirlby is utterly hot.

Awful Bluray transfer... Im wondering if it because it is meant to be viewed in 3D.

I am going to clear the stored memory in my BRplayer tonight and have another look at it, to ensure it wasnt my play cocking it up, but it seemed to jump between HD and what looked like a bootleg copy (and i dont mean in a good/gritty intentional way)
I noticed the quality would suffer at certain points. Looked like shots that had a handheld camera.

Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #437
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Was thinking, if there was a stigma about the 'Dredd' name because of the previous Stallone effort which stopped people from going to the cinema to see this movie, they could have named the movie 'MEGA-CITY ONE' instead of 'DREDD' [although I appreciate that the majority of the movie only took place in the one building. ]

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #438
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Was thinking, if there was a stigma about the 'Dredd' name because of the previous Stallone effort which stopped people from going to the cinema to see this movie, they could have named the movie 'MEGA-CITY ONE' instead of 'DREDD' [although I appreciate that the majority of the movie only took place in the one building. ]
I don't think the name was a factor. Modern day audiences are fully aware that reboots are different from their predecessors. The main issue is just the fact that great hyper-violent 80's style action flicks, for whatever reason, just aren't as popular as they once were.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #439
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Pleased the trailers are included as the song in the trailer was beautiful.

Take note Sony, you SOB for not including the trailers for ASM

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #440
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I don't think the name was a factor. Modern day audiences are fully aware that reboots are different from their predecessors. The main issue is just the fact that great hyper-violent 80's style action flicks, for whatever reason, just aren't as popular as they once were.
Respectfully disagree - people love hyper-violent flicks now just as much as tHey did in the 80's IMO. At the time of release there where numerous examples posted on here of people assuming that Dredd wasnt a reboot; that it had a connection to the Stallone film and folk were therefore reluctant to go see it as a result.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #441
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
But the problem was people kept calling it a remake not a reboot. The amount of people who I've heard dismiss the film before seeing it as a remake of the 90s Stallone film instead of a reboot was astounding.

Its like saying Batman Begins is a remake of Batman 89 when instead its a different take on the character with a completely different storyline.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #442
BatsDC
Tranktastic

This was great, loved it. Wish we were getting a sequel

Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #443
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
But the problem was people kept calling it a remake not a reboot. The amount of people who I've heard dismiss the film before seeing it as a remake of the 90s Stallone film instead of a reboot was astounding.

Its like saying Batman Begins is a remake of Batman 89 when instead its a different take on the character with a completely different storyline.
That wasn't the only problem. More like the tip of the iceberg.

I just wanted to post this because it's awesome:

Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #444
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

Simon Bisley on Dredd:

What did you think about the "Dredd" movie?
I loved it. It was very cool. It was very loyal to the essence of the character and to "2000 AD." It was even more hardcore than the "Batman" movies have been so far. I was thinking, "Crikey, I wish Karl Urban could make a 'Batman' movie!"
I was very surprised because I had no real interest in watching it. I didn't see how it was going to be done well, but they did do very well. I really liked the approach. The economy of scenes. It was clever in all the senses, you know? Dredd came across as you'd imagine.
How did it go down in America?

It did very well among critics but underperformed at the box office. They didn't it market it well at all.
That's the problem. I think it could have had the same impact as "Mad Max." It was that kind of movie. Who is Judge Dredd, anyways? American people don't even know who he is. It'll be a cult film, eventually. People will catch on to it. Hopefully a sequel will have better marketing.
They should do a Judge Dredd and Batman crossover, shouldn't they? That would be ****ing kickass, man. That would be amazing. It'd be so hardcore, there'd be so much action! So many of these superhero movies just **** around talking and philosophizing about their day. Just get on with it!

I also agree with what Bisley said about the character of Judge Dredd:
"Judge Dredd is almost like Marv from Sin City, just impossible to kill."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42828

Last edited by rogue trooper; 01-16-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #445
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Quote:
Simon Bisley on Dredd:

What did you think about the "Dredd" movie?
I loved it. It was very cool. It was very loyal to the essence of the character and to "2000 AD." It was even more hardcore than the "Batman" movies have been so far. I was thinking, "Crikey, I wish Karl Urban could make a 'Batman' movie!"
I was very surprised because I had no real interest in watching it. I didn't see how it was going to be done well, but they did do very well. I really liked the approach. The economy of scenes. It was clever in all the senses, you know? Dredd came across as you'd imagine.
How did it go down in America?

It did very well among critics but underperformed at the box office. They didn't it market it well at all.
That's the problem. I think it could have had the same impact as "Mad Max." It was that kind of movie. Who is Judge Dredd, anyways? American people don't even know who he is. It'll be a cult film, eventually. People will catch on to it. Hopefully a sequel will have better marketing.
They should do a Judge Dredd and Batman crossover, shouldn't they? That would be ****ing kickass, man. That would be amazing. It'd be so hardcore, there'd be so much action! So many of these superhero movies just **** around talking and philosophizing about their day. Just get on with it!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42828

Nice.

But it's weird Bisley of all people should want to see a Dredd/Batman crossover... considering he already drew one way back in the day.

Dredd Beat Batman with his billyclub, unmasked him, then arrested him.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #446
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
Respectfully disagree - people love hyper-violent flicks now just as much as tHey did in the 80's IMO. At the time of release there where numerous examples posted on here of people assuming that Dredd wasnt a reboot; that it had a connection to the Stallone film and folk were therefore reluctant to go see it as a result.
Sure, but how many people? Obviously we can't get the statistics but it seems to me that straight action-for-the-sake-of-action movies just aren't as appealing to the general audience as they once were. If you took the percentage of movie goers who'd eagerly go and see Rambo or Charles Bronson shoot people for 90 minutes back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's I'd bet good money it'd be much higher than that percentage today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

Honestly, I didn't think there was a difference between 'remake' and 'reboot'. I'm still not entirely sure I see what separates them. Perhaps your average movie goer isn't even aware that Judge Dredd is a comic book, which I think would be a more realistic reason for them thinking the new film was related to the Stallone version.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #447
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
I loved the part where they minigun the hell out of that one level, then Dredd casually walk out and tosses that guy over the balcony. I mean we know how Dredd managed to survive that, but from Ma Ma's perspective he might as well have been the Terminator.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #448
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't think there was a difference between 'remake' and 'reboot'. I'm still not entirely sure I see what separates them.
Remake is redoing the same story with some differences sprinkled here and there (ie Psycho, Evil Dead, King Kong)

Reboot is only taking the core characters in a completely new story and direction (ie Casino Royale, Batman Begins, The Amazing Spider-Man)

DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #449
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
Nice.

But it's weird Bisley of all people should want to see a Dredd/Batman crossover... considering he already drew one way back in the day.

Dredd Beat Batman with his billyclub, unmasked him, then arrested him.

Batman gets his own back, though.

*Batman punches dredd in the face*

Dredd - 'Not just a technicality now, judge assusalt! Ten years!'

Batman (boots Dredd in the ribs) - 'Make it 20'

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #450
Valaquen
Alien Series Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForgotten View Post
I just wanna punch a wall right now. Dredd 3D sold out at Redbox, Fred Meyer, AND Costco. And at Costco they had the nerve to put out a few copies of the Stallone version because they literally had no Dredd. Now my Seahawks lost AND I can't find my 2nd favorite film of 2012.
That's good news, in a way. It means people are out there snapping it up Can't wait for sale information to be made available. I desperately want a sequel.

Valaquen is offline   Reply With Quote