Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #576
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Default Re: The Official Cell Phone Junkies Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I'm sorry and you're welcome. I haven't really tried the Xperia phones, I've seen them and they're gorgeous, but never actually tried the software and Timescape UI.
I've never played with Sony's UI, but they're Xperia line has had some great looking phones, and the Xperia Z is the best design yet.
Quote:
Don't start squeeing yet, my Dad will visit me next Wednesday then I will get the phone. Though, I'm not entirely sure if I want it since I will have an SIII and Lumia 920. I think it makes me seem very spoiled rather than lucky. But then I think f**k that I'm getting an SIII and now I can do that touchy NFC transfer with my brother's Galaxy Note II.
I wish I had an awesome backup phone. You could always ditch the Lumia 920 when you get tired of it, and give the SIII a whirl.
Quote:
I'm really jealous when I see Galaxy S and iPhone users have so many options compared to others. Maybe I would like to have a Mickey Mouse, Avengers, Superman rubber case for my phone.
I don't care for those cases, but I get why it could frustrate a lot of people when you have to hunt for something because your phone isn't popular.
Quote:
Well, at least it will be in good company with these other 5-inchers coming in 2013 (SGSIV). The battery life better be better than the DNA, though. And that camera (I have a thing for big camera sensors ).
Well, it's supposed to come equipped with a special battery saver mode that makes it last 400% longer, or some absurd number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
i've been waiting for a (high end flagship) phone that is waterproof.
My brother-in-law has been waiting for a waterproof smartphone of the high end variety as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
What do you guys think of the Xperia Z that was recently revealed at CES? Does it seem to be a good phone?
It's going to be a good phone that will last, IMO. It's spec'ed exactly the same as the Droid DNA, but has distinct advantages. Those are high MP camera (13 vs. 8), waterproof, made out of high quality materials, and SD slot will edge it out. I've read that the the phone at CES is an early version, and the camera is not up to par. I'm also reading that the screen doesn't look as good as the DNA, but that's really up to the user, IMO.

The only problem that the phone will have is competing against phones coming out in the next few months, such as SIV, LG Optimus something, etc. for Android. Those phones are supposed to be spec'ed a lot higher in the 5" form factor, so Sony needs to release it at the end of this month or early February to get a head start. I'm not sure about how much it's going to be with a contract, but they have the high-end Z and the cheaper ZL that will help a lot.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #577
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
The only problem that the phone will have is competing against phones coming out in the next few months, such as SIV, LG Optimus something, etc. for Android. Those phones are supposed to be spec'ed a lot higher in the 5" form factor, so Sony needs to release it at the end of this month or early February to get a head start. I'm not sure about how much it's going to be with a contract, but they have the high-end Z and the cheaper ZL that will help a lot.
yeah, sony needs to watch out for samsung's s4 and release the phone as soon as possible. i don't think sony really cares about lg's or even htc's latest offerings; their market share in the mobile sphere is unsubstantial.

i dropped my atrix in water last night and i had to dunk it in rice overnight to save it. i'm hoping the phone lasts until the new phones are released so i can upgrade without having to buy a stupid gophone.

while i'm curious as to what the s4 will be like, i don't think i would choose it over the xperia z. the specs on the xperia z are plenty enough for me, and even if the s4 has higher specs (very likely), it's very doubtful they can come close to sony's build quality. the xperia z to me is basically an iphone running android. even though i can't stand iOS, i have always admired the quality and premium feel of the iphone. i think sony will deliver a similar experience with the xperia z.

If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #578
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
yeah, sony needs to watch out for samsung's s4 and release the phone as soon as possible. i don't think sony really cares about lg's or even htc's latest offerings; their market share in the mobile sphere is unsubstantial.
HTC no, but Samsung, LG (to an extent), and Apple are who they want to compete with. They need to release now because the technology is already two months old, and in this day and age with the advancements of cellphones, that's already four months until it's specs are obsolete.
Quote:
i dropped my atrix in water last night and i had to dunk it in rice overnight to save it. i'm hoping the phone lasts until the new phones are released so i can upgrade without having to buy a stupid gophone.
How is it operating right now? I hate when that happens.
Quote:
while i'm curious as to what the s4 will be like, i don't think i would choose it over the xperia z. the specs on the xperia z are plenty enough for me, and even if the s4 has higher specs (very likely), it's very doubtful they can come close to sony's build quality. the xperia z to me is basically an iphone running android. even though i can't stand iOS, i have always admired the quality and premium feel of the iphone. i think sony will deliver a similar experience with the xperia z.
Specs will definitely be fine for the general public, and Sony's build quality has been great since separating from Ericsson. Sony really needs another department to start performing, and hacking away at the Android market will help them greatly.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #579
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So you can dry a phone using rice? Good to know.

As for the Xperia Z's battery saver mode, holy crap. If it's as good as Sony says it is then maybe I'll just sell one of my phones for it.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #580
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dmg View Post
How is it operating right now? I hate when that happens.
phone is actually working well again. last night the touch screen stopped working.

and loca, yeah, you can dry your phone with rice. take out the battery/sim, and then dunk the parts in uncooked rice overnight. rice apparently helps remove the moisture.

If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #581
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
So you can dry a phone using rice? Good to know.
Age old trick that has saved my phone many times. It's to help the quick dry process. Remove the battery and drop the phone in dry rice for a few hours (I usually do overnight to be safe), and you'll be good.
Quote:
As for the Xperia Z's battery saver mode, holy crap. If it's as good as Sony says it is then maybe I'll just sell one of my phones for it.
It's called "Stamina Mode."
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Stami...-video_id38521
Quote:
phone is actually working well again. last night the touch screen stopped working.
If you have a full touch screen phone, then damn.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #582
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Thanks dog man briscoe.

I finally tried a Sony Xperia S at my local AT&T, it was rather bittersweet.

The good, the design is gorgeous, love the the transparent led alert bar. Also the curved back and sharp edges really feel good in my hand. I love the screen and 12 mpx camera was pretty good. The software and UI is pretty amazing. Love the themes that can change the colors of their entire skin to your liking. My personal fav is Ruby. The music player was actually pretty cool and the control widgets worked well enough. The homescreen widgets are very beautiful, too. Hell even the lockscreen.

Now the bad, the build quality was underwhelming. I was expecting some super sturdy polycarbonate shell similar to the Lumia/One Series as I was told Sony's build quality being praised by some. The phone feels a little cheap with a creak here and there, it's reminiscent of the Galaxy S phones. The capacitive buttons can be unresponsive and are a little difficult to get used to. And I don't quite understand why it was given a removable back cover, but not a removable battery. Also I have a pet peeve about putting the power button on the top of the phone.

I like the phone and if I was still shopping for an upgrade from my Galaxy S, this would have been in my top 5 picks.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #583
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So teens love them some SIII and Surface...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Teens...ace-in_id38651

Google is blocking YouTube for some unlucky WP users...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Go...-Phone_id38638

BB10 gets demonstrated at CES...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...at-CES_id38627

And my personal favorite Xperia phone would have to be the Xperia P. If that was what the S was then (with a 4.3 instead of 4.0) it would have shot up to an absolute Smitty Werben Jaegerman Jenson for me.

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 01-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #584
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Does anyone use the 2x Battery Saver app? if so does it really work from the get go or do you have to change some settings to get the best use of it?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #585
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
And my personal favorite Xperia phone would have to be the Xperia P. If that was what the S was then (with a 4.3 instead of 4.0) it would have shot up to an absolute Smitty Werben Jaegerman Jenson for me.

Damn that phone is sexy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Does anyone use the 2x Battery Saver app? if so does it really work from the get go or do you have to change some settings to get the best use of it?
I have no idea about that one, but I hear that Juice Defender from my friends all the time.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #586
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I always thought the Xperia P was really nice looking and I almost bought one a week ago, but instead I chose a Razr Maxx which just came with the mail I don't have a micro-sim yet though so I have to wait a few days until I can use it.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #587
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Cool let me know how you like it. My boss did a lecture for some criminal justice class at a college. I got to go with him and I couldn't believe how many of the students had Droid Razrs. Then again it was one of those small towns and Verizon could be the only carrier service that's any good.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #588
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Cool let me know how you like it. My boss did a lecture for some criminal justice class at a college. I got to go with him and I couldn't believe how many of the students had Droid Razrs. Then again it was one of those small towns and Verizon could be the only carrier service that's any good.
I have been playing around with it a little, without the sim-card though but the wi-fi works like a charm. I really like it so far but this is my first android and it's the biggest phone I've had so it's gonna take a while to get used to it.
Motocast is a fun feature as well.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #589
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Glad you're enjoying it.

I may actually decide to return to Android. My Lumia 920 is great and I love Windows Phone, but the doom and gloom surrounding it about lack of dev support and Lumia sales being disappointing leave me skittish. I pray something happens in the next few months that will give me hope that I didn't invest in a dying platform. Also, according to mobile tech blogs BB10 is looking very good and may help RIM regain some lost marketshare.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #590
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Yeah it's sad about Windows Phone. I was really interested in the 920 and almost bought it when it came out but I decided it was just to pricey. I really hope that WP can make it through and not die out.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #591
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it.

I may actually decide to return to Android. My Lumia 920 is great and I love Windows Phone, but the doom and gloom surrounding it about lack of dev support and Lumia sales being disappointing leave me skittish. I pray something happens in the next few months that will give me hope that I didn't invest in a dying platform.
They did gain in the smart phone market though. They are very serious about synergy between all devices, and I can see that becoming something that people will want in the next few years.
Quote:
Also, according to mobile tech blogs BB10 is looking very good and may help RIM regain some lost marketshare.
It's looking nice for people that want to stick with RIM, but it's severely underspec'ed.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #592
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Thanks for trying to make me feel better DogManBriscoe (that's my nickname for you and I'm sticking to it), but the rise in marketshare doesn't matter when there is no support for it. And I do appreciate Microsoft's efforts to create a full working ecosystem. I will stay with WP until I get the "DANGER! DANGER! Will Robinson" signal.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #593
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

Quote:
Thanks for trying to make me feel better DogManBriscoe (that's my nickname for you and I'm sticking to it),
Haha...
Quote:
but the rise in marketshare doesn't matter when there is no support for it. And I do appreciate Microsoft's efforts to create a full working ecosystem. I will stay with WP until I get the "DANGER! DANGER! Will Robinson" signal.
Early support from devs is a good sign, but you have to remember that if the phone is gaining a larger and larger user base, devs will come to the platform. I think the same thing is going to happen with RIM and their BB10 when it comes to apps.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #594
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

BlackBerry Z10 A Serious Contender for Apple iPhone 5

Very impressed with BB10 here. Although, I think iOS, even though its a glorified app launcher, is probably the most aesthetically pleasing mobile OS.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #595
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

RIM to Introduce BBZ10 and X10 Next Week

Says the contract price will be below, $199.99.

Rumor: Three New iPhone Variants, 4.8-inch Model

I will never believe Apple will make an iPhone that size and call it as something stupid as the iPhone Math.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #596
Kane52630
Nightcall User

iPhone derp is more like it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #597
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

4.8 inches will be 500 with an upgrade.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #598
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Samsung Galaxy S IV Image On Picasa for Nearly a Month?

If true, then it looks like they simply made some tweaks to SIII. Looks nice to me.

Also according to some shipping reports, it may come in April.

Apple iPhone 5S is Coming this June, with a Big Brother Next Year?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #599
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Nokia to Max Screen Size at 4.7 for New Lumia Flagship

It may be for the new EOS (Lumia with Pureview Phase 1 and possible 41 mpx sensor) or Catwalk (Lumia 920-like with aluminum unibody) flagship.

As a Lumia fan and user, I'm very excited to see what Nokia does with this.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #600
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

The SIV is rumored to be called the SV. The reason for this is that in Asian culture, the number four is unlucky. Apparently, Samsung and other Korean manufacturers skip the number all together.