The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #51
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Yeah, I too was never a fan of Doc Ock, but I really love how they made him so relatable for Peter. At first, he was looked at as the scientist who was living the dream, by doing the work that he loves with the woman that he loves. And then after the accident, he was so off the case of what could've happened to Peter had he used his power for selfish reasons, and how broken he was with his wife's death. It was just a great use of a villain that didn't necessarily dominate the movie.
Ock's tragic loss of his wife and Peter's willingness to sacrifice being with MJ were such a wonderful parallel / counterpoint to one another. There are lots of parallels between the characters, really. Its subtle at points but well done.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #52
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Default Re: The Official "I Loved Raimi's Spider-Man' Thread - Part 1 of 99 Luft - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Ock's tragic loss of his wife and Peter's willingness to sacrifice being with MJ were such a wonderful parallel / counterpoint to one another. There are lots of parallels between the characters, really. Its subtle at points but well done.
Exactly, and to go back to what was being said earlier about the possibility of Ock and Goblin being together in the first film, I think it was a great decision to separate them because it allowed for both characters to be fleshed out, especially in terms of their motives. Doc Ock was not the traditional "evil" villain, but he did a lot of bad things and caused a lot of damage all for the sake of his work. It was really sad to see him dead at the end, even though he went out in a noble way.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #53
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

There is a great parallel. Peter is being irresponsible by giving up being Spider-Man so he can live his dream of a normal life. Ock is being irresponsible by doing evil things to make his dream happen. By the end of the movie they both come full circle and accept responsibility.

It's why Peter was able to repeat Aunt May's speech to Ock. It was applicable to both of them. Doing what's right by giving up the thing you want the most.

- The Joker
Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #54
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
There is a great parallel. Peter is being irresponsible by giving up being Spider-Man so he can live his dream of a normal life. Ock is being irresponsible by doing evil things to make his dream happen. By the end of the movie they both come full circle and accept responsibility.

It's why Peter was able to repeat Aunt May's speech to Ock. It was applicable to both of them. Doing what's right by giving up the thing you want the most.
Even your dreams.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #55
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Yeah, and honestly, it's part of the reason why I feel like the outcast with most of the people that I used to hang around with all the time, because whenever I try to explain why SM2 is my favorite comic movie, I get weird looks not because it's my top choice, but because a high choice above movies like The Avengers and The Dark Knight. But like I always try to explain, there are a lot of personal reasons why I look highly at SM2. Obviously superheroes movies have evolved in the past decade, and what people look for now has changed, but I can always go back and watch the Raimi film and not just enjoy them, but also wish they would have done more.

But to be fair, it does go either way, because some people look at what came first as the best, and anything after is never as good, like those who prefer Burton's Batman films over Nolan's.
Personally speaking, I would put TDK and Avengers above Spidey 2, but Spidey 2 and for that matter X-Men 2 are still in my top 6 CBM's. I cant see it ever going out of the top ten because, as you say, time has not damaged the magic the movie offers, its just a brilliant movie and brilliant movies just dont age and they certainly dont get worse as time goes by.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #56
Picard Sisko

I'd take Spider-Man 2 over TDK and Avengers. But all of these movies are so brilliant, and I'm so happy we have them.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #57
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Top 5 favorite scenes from Spider-Man 2?
1)The end and turn to good of Doc Ock in the end with him slowly going into the depths of the river along with the fusion reactor. Its just chilling to me.

2)The "ghost" of Norman Osborn and Harry Discovering the Green Goblin equipment in the end. Another chilling moment!

3)The reveal of the tentacles and them being used on the fusion reactor, it looked so cool! This scene ends with the death if Rosie, a third very chilling moment!

4)Peter ditching the suit in a very "Spider-Man No More" way.

5)My fifth scene is difficult but it probably is the elevator scene "Cool Spidey outfit" and the discussion that follows. Gives me chuckes

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #58
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Personally speaking, I would put TDK and Avengers above Spidey 2, but Spidey 2 and for that matter X-Men 2 are still in my top 6 CBM's.
Agree except for X2.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #59
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Agree except for X2.
Really? Its still the best X-Men movie for me, and the 2nd best CBM ever just behind The Dark Knight, Avengers would be 3rd.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #60
Picard Sisko

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Avengers
4. X2: X-Men United
5. Iron Man
6. Spider-Man

X2 is 4th on my list of top comic book films.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #61
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

My list is similar, except I would probably place The Punisher (2004) in there somewhere. I feel like that is a very underrated comic book film and one that deserved a better sequel.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #62
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

1. Marvel's The Avengers
2. Spider-man 2
3. Iron Man
4. Batman Begins
5. Thor/Captain America/X2/Hellboy (I love all these the same way)
6. The Incredible Hulk
7. Batman (1989)
8. ASM
9. TDK/TDKR I know ranking ASM higher than TDK/TDKR is blasphemy, but I'm ranking based on how many times I could watch it over and over again, and after a sitdown with the one of the Nolan films I'm fine for one night.
10.FF
11:FF:ROTSS
12. Hulk

I need to see good ol' Spider-man again before I make my ranking. Haven't sat down and watched it in a while.

Last edited by spidermanJLA!~; 01-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #63
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I think the first Spider-Man movie tends to be underrated. Sure the CGI doesn't hold up so well, but the story is quite good and Dafoe has so much fun playing Norman / Green Goblin that it is contagious.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #64
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Really? Its still the best X-Men movie for me, and the 2nd best CBM ever just behind The Dark Knight, Avengers would be 3rd.
I actually wasn't a real huge fan of any X-Men film until First Class, so that would be in my top ten most definitely, but my top five is in my sig.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #65
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I think the first Spider-Man movie tends to be underrated. Sure the CGI doesn't hold up so well, but the story is quite good and Dafoe has so much fun playing Norman / Green Goblin that it is contagious.
It got a lot of love back in 2002, but now people look at it and turn the other way. It deserves higher than 65% from audiences on RT.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #66
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
It got a lot of love back in 2002, but now people look at it and turn the other way. It deserves higher than 65% from audiences on RT.
Part of me has to wonder just how much of that score is composed of "haters" and ASM fanboys.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #67
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It goes the other way too. You can only imagine how many TAS-M fanboys shoots down the '02 film as Raimi fanboys shoots down TAS-M.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #68
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, that's why I don't like to put too much stock in scores like that that rely on fan-ratings. Especially after that whole Call of Duty incident.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #69
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I don't like to put too much stock in scores like that that rely on fan-ratings. Especially after that whole Call of Duty incident.

I kind of like being in the middle of the road. I love both SM1 and TASM. I'm neither a Raimi or Webb fanboy... I just love Spider-Man and support both. The Raimi trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart (especially the first movie), but I welcome the new franchise and hope for the best!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #70
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I'm a little disappointed that I neither love nor hate TASM. I despised it's conception, but there was a real chance to make something great with it. Outside of the new leads (whom I love), the rest of the film fell short and it ended up just being meh for me. Not feeling positive about the sequel either.

Thank santa for Avengers otherwise 2012 would have been a pretty dull year for comic book movies.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #71
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I'm a little disappointed that I neither love nor hate TASM. I despised it's conception, but there was a real chance to make something great with it. Outside of the new leads (whom I love), the rest of the film fell short and it ended up just being meh for me. Not feeling positive about the sequel either.

Thank santa for Avengers otherwise 2012 would have been a pretty dull year for comic book movies.
I disagree entirely. I love the setup this film made for the franchise, and think it has a lot of potential. While its not GREAT, I found it really enjoyable and rather entertaining. Love the depiction of Spider-Man, Gwen, etc., and can't wait for the sequel.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #72
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:

I kind of like being in the middle of the road. I love both SM1 and TASM. I'm neither a Raimi or Webb fanboy... I just love Spider-Man and support both. The Raimi trilogy will always hold a special place in my heart (especially the first movie), but I welcome the new franchise and hope for the best!
I have no problem admitting that I'm a Raimi fanboy, and I hated on ASM a lot when I first heard about the news of a reboot. But after seeing the film, I learned to accept it, and am interested to see where they go from here, since I believe they have trilogy in mind from the start, which is something I'm pretty sure Raimi did not have his mind on at all while the films were being made. It's actually how I'm starting to feel about Man of Steel too. I was a Smallville fanboy, and I hated Superman Returns because I wanted to see Welling in a movie, but with Man of Steel, I was upset because I knew that was the nail in the coffin. But I'm starting to come around to the film and I'm actually excited to see if we finally get a great Superman film since the first Reeve one.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #73
Picard Sisko

Quote:
I have no problem admitting that I'm a Raimi fanboy, and I hated on ASM a lot when I first heard about the news of a reboot. But after seeing the film, I learned to accept it, and am interested to see where they go from here, since I believe they have trilogy in mind from the start, which is something I'm pretty sure Raimi did not have his mind on at all while the films were being made. It's actually how I'm starting to feel about Man of Steel too. I was a Smallville fanboy, and I hated Superman Returns because I wanted to see Welling in a movie, but with Man of Steel, I was upset because I knew that was the nail in the coffin. But I'm starting to come around to the film and I'm actually excited to see if we finally get a great Superman film since the first Reeve one.
When I first heard Spider-Man 4 was cancelled, and a reboot was announced, I wanted to punch my computer screen. I was so pissed off, and was still depressed over how disappointed Spider-Man 3 was. I was hoping that a fourth film would redeem the franchise and make up for it, but after hearing what the plans were for the film, it probably would have gotten worse. I applaud Raimi for knowing when to stop and walk away.

The Amazing Spider-Man keeps sequels in mind, where Spider-Man 1 felt like it could have been a film on its own, and there seemed to be very little planning for the future. I like that we don't know everything right away, and that there are mysteries that will get resolved over the next few films.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #74
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
When I first heard Spider-Man 4 was cancelled, and a reboot was announced, I wanted to punch my computer screen. I was so pissed off, and was still depressed over how disappointed Spider-Man 3 was. I was hoping that a fourth film would redeem the franchise and make up for it, but after hearing what the plans were for the film, it probably would have gotten worse. I applaud Raimi for knowing when to stop and walk away.

The Amazing Spider-Man keeps sequels in mind, where Spider-Man 1 felt like it could have been a film on its own, and there seemed to be very little planning for the future. I like that we don't know everything right away, and that there are mysteries that will get resolved over the next few films.
Yeah, what upset me most about the reboot was the fact that it felt like it was too soon. Meaning in the span of a few weeks/months, there were plans for SM4 to start filming, and then news of a reboot being written and cast, all to meet the May 2012 date. I just felt like they had rushed everything.

And yeah, Raimi didn't really seem to think about sequels, which I have no problem with since that wasn't really the mindset at the time when it came to CBMs. If SM1 tanked, we definitely would not have gotten a SM2, even though Tobey and others signed on for three films. Franchises weren't guaranteed, which is why Avengers could never have happened in the past. Now, actors don't mind signing up to play a character in three movies because there's a good chance that a sequel will already be in the works before the first is even done shooting. The business has changed and expanded in the past decade, which is why I don't like to judge films like SM1 or SM2 to films like TDK or The Avengers.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #75
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO

Yeah, that stinks because they had no idea of making a franchise, so they made it a standalone film. It's almost as if Spidey had learned all his primary lessons in one film. I do like how ASM, they know they're making a franchise, so they made more room for growth.Man how far we've come.

Closed Thread