The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #526
Rainer7
Side-Kick

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

I finally caught Green Lantern for the first time today (on HBO), and it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The worst parts were Parallax and the special effects (the CGI suit is fine on the CGI characters but doesn't look convincing enough on Hal). I thought the acting wasn't bad and was convincing for its tone. I'll agree with the guy that said that some moments look and feel like a CW show, but Arrow/Supernatural CW as opposed to say, Heart of Dixie CW.

Overall, I say let them make a sequel (or use Reynolds for Hal in JL). I'd rather rewatch Green Lantern over Dark Knight Rises, so that's something.

Rainer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #527
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

You're not the only one who likes it. I liked it a lot sure it wasn't as bad as people have made out.

Also its one of the few superhero films that actually delivers in its final fight. Hal vs Parallax was pretty awesome.

I still say if this film had come out 10 years ago it would have been better received.

Its a shame it didn't manage to turn a profit in cause far worse movies have. I really think a sequel would've ironed out any problems.

And totally agree on keeping Ryan Reynolds as GL.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #528
super85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Green Lantern s not as ad as the two Ghost Rider movies and it doesn't deserve to be put with pure garbage like Batman & Robin. I swear if this had come out like 10 years go it would've been better received.
I agree. I think GL is a averege comic book movie. Its biggest problem being that superhero movies have stepped up quite a lot with the Nolan Batman films, Avengers, Iron Man etc. I prefer GL to FF, GR 1&2,DD and even fairly recent stuff like the third X-men movie or Wolverine.

I don't get the hatred, its an averege comicbook movie, the extended cut being an ok one at that. I'm not saying it's flawless or great. But nowhere near as bad as people say.

super85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #529
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by super85 View Post
I agree. I think GL is a averege comic book movie. Its biggest problem being that superhero movies have stepped up quite a lot with the Nolan Batman films, Avengers, Iron Man etc. I prefer GL to FF, GR 1&2,DD and even fairly recent stuff like the third X-men movie or Wolverine.

I don't get the hatred, its an averege comicbook movie, the extended cut being an ok one at that. I'm not saying it's flawless or great. But nowhere near as bad as people say.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #530
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Even though Ryan Reynolds is only a few months younger than me, I consider John Cusack to be a better actor. His timing in Con Air is entertaining.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #531
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by super85 View Post

Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #532
moviedoors
Side-Kick

I watched about half of it on cable not long ago. It's just as terrible as it was at the midnight screening. It flat out sucks.

Green Lantern will have to be the Hulk of the JLA flick if the character is ever going to get a sequel. I wouldn't want to see a sequel until he goes through a JLA cleansing anyway. Where the first film left him at the end is so ****** and unearned.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #533
K'Prime
Beast mode

I didn't Like green lantern at all.Besides The wasted performance of Mark strong Sinestro.This movie falls flat all over the place.its not Cat women bad but thats not saying much.Outside a JL movie i wouldn't expect to see hal take off for any live action space adventures anytime soon

K'Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #534
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

The 'Green Lantern' movie fell a little flat, sure, but it wasn't completely terrible.

I think they should just do a soft reboot, not ignoring the first movie, but just continuing on with a different tone and better script.

They don't have to acknowledge every little detail from the first one.

I think Reynolds et al deserve a second shot at this.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #535
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

A sequel reboot?

Like Punisher WZ and TIH

Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #536
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
A sequel reboot?

Like Punisher WZ and TIH
that's what i hope they go for

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #537
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

But not Punisher Warzone that was awful, I don't want a reboot but I guess that's the best we can hope for. Tbh I think the only Green Lantern we're gonna see in live-action is in JL unless he has an epic Hulk like impact in Avengers and starts shifting merchandise then it's gonna be a very long time if ever we get a Green Lantern movie again.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #538
Airwings
Waves of air

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #539
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

...who is it?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #540
Airwings
Waves of air

Kevin Zegers

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #541
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Kevin Zegers
Who?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #542
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Who?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #543
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Yeah...what?

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #544
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

LOL!

I love this place. I really do.

Wesley Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #545
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

I think he might be trying communicate with images, like that Artie kid from x men.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #546
the last son
Side-Kick

There was nothing average about GL. Even if it went straight to sci-fi(like it should have) I would have thought it was terrible. The only reason I think it's not getting a lot of hate is because of Ryan Reynolds fans. At least some bad movies are comical at how bad they are this movie is just hard to watch for more than a minute. I mean watching a 1 minute clip on youtube is even hard to do.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #547
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Then...I don't know...don't?

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #548
super85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
There was nothing average about GL. Even if it went straight to sci-fi(like it should have) I would have thought it was terrible. The only reason I think it's not getting a lot of hate is because of Ryan Reynolds fans. At least some bad movies are comical at how bad they are this movie is just hard to watch for more than a minute. I mean watching a 1 minute clip on youtube is even hard to do.
Nah. I think you just have an odd way of seeing things. It's a rushed Hollywood production, with most things being around averege. If you think Mark Strong is "terrible" in it, or the End Fight with Parallax looks like something on the SyFy channel, and is "painful to watch", then I guess your cable provider offers a different SyFy channel than what I have watched.

Regarding Reynolds. Never really followed him or his career, thought he was ok. Nothing fantastic there (that type of production) but he did ok with what he had.

super85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #549
The Guard
Side-Kick

I don't think GREEN LANTERN was really all that rushed as a project.

It took years to gestate, and even after a script was finished, it wasn't exactly fast tracked.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #550
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

What they need to do with the GL movies is what Marvel did with the Hulk films. Just keep going and adjust along the way. 1st Hulk film, bombed and isn't liked by most. So the second starred a new guy as Banner, new Ross and Betty, and better looking Hulk. They changed a lot but never retold the origin. Just sort of talked about it and fixed things that didn't work. Then they kept that going with Hulk in the Avengers. With a new Banner and a slightly different concept for How and Why he becomes the Hulk. Now we finally have a Hulk that seems to work for everyone.
So the next GL films could do the same. Different guy playing Hal, different woman playing Carol. Adjust the origin as needed. Maybe This time Hal just go out of GL training with Kilowag and is now partners with Sinestro who isn't a yellow lantern.
This film is like Training Day, with changes because you don't want it to seem like a copy even though the concept was in the comic first. But keep the idea started in the 1st film about the corps and the wring and everything. Maybe even keep the costume similar enough.
So it was established in GL 1 that there is an alien police force with rings that can create green energy things from the wearers imagination. There are characters named Hal, Sinestro, Carol, Kilowag, Tomar Ray, the Guardians, a place called Oa, etc. If the next film doesn't work just keep it going like the Hulk then too.

Last edited by Artistsean; 01-23-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote