The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #176
JP
Smelly

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

Quote:
As the man who rebooted X-Men comics with Ultimate X-Men – inspired by the look and stripped down vibe of Bryan Singer’s 2000 X-Men movie – it’s fairly serendipitous that Mark Millar is contributing to the franchise that he was initially inspired by as creative consultant on 20th Century Fox’s crop of Marvel superhero movies, especially now Singer is back as director for the second prequel, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, which follows on from 2011′s X-Men: First Class and is due in cinemas 18 July 2014.

“It’s incredibly exciting,” said Miller, speaking exclusively to SciFiNow. “Even just as a fan. The first X-Men really launched the wave of superhero movies we’ve been loving for the past decade after some horrific stuff in the Nineties so having him back in the world he started just feels right.

X2, I think, is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. The idea of this guy being back in the fold and planning something as ambitious as this picture can only be good news.”

It’s certainly ambitious, the comic-book story arc the movie is based on involves a dark future where mutants are hunted by giant robot sentinels and imprisoned in gulags – many favorite characters meet their end, and one X-Man, Kitty Pryde, travels back in time to the ‘present’ to prevent the chain of events that kicks this whole thing off.

“I think as long as it’s done right…” said Millar of the dangers in such mythology heavy material. “I know how it’s done, so I’m not worried. I’ve been in all these meetings and talked about it at length with everyone, and everything I hear sounds incredibly mainstream. It’s no more difficult than The Terminator, or whatever, there’s one element of time jump in it, but other than that it’s absolutely fine.

“It’s hard for me to say without actually spoiling the movie but [producer Matthew] Vaughn – the guy who made the $28 million Kick-Ass look like a $78 million movie, you know? – I completely trust him when it comes to stuff like that – he knows exactly what he’s doing, and Simon Kinberg [X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes writer] has actually done a phenomenal job on the screenplay with him so it’s worked out really well.”

The complex mythology isn’t the only Achilles heel of the X-Men franchise, though; it’s the glut of characters that seem to be brought in with each successive installment, each one running the risk of detracting from the core cast and cluttering up the story.

“It can be,” agreed Millar. “I remember when I was writing Ultimate X-Men and people were saying ‘I want to see Gambit, I want to see Rogue, I want to see…’ Everybody has a list, and at first you think ‘I’m going to please everyone’ and then you realize you’re pleasing no-one by just throwing in ten second cameos, you know.

“I think that was the major problem with that first Wolverine movie and X-Men 3. Bryan Singer did such an incredible job with that original movie – it’s quite like Star Wars in that there’s Episodes IV, V and VI, and we’ve got the Matthew Vaughn prequels, and I love that – I love the fact that it simplifies so well. X-Men in the Nineties was so convoluted in comic-book terms, and Bryan drove a knife through it and make it work and simplified the whole thing.

“I’d like to have that same approach and if we are bringing in a character then it shouldn’t just be for a trailer or to get a picture up online, get people excited, it should actually have a point in the story.

“The trick with that is to try and keep the cast relatively small so that you actually care about them.”

Pick up X-Men: The Ultimate Collection, containing all five films so far, on Blu-ray for £19.75 and DVD for £15.29 from Amazon.co.uk. X-Men: Days Of Future Past is due in cinemas 18 July 2014.
http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/33950...s-mark-millar/

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #177
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

A bit of Intresting things here.As some might forgotten the first X-Men Inspired his work on Ultimate X-men.

I totally agree will his comments on first X-men setting stage for comic book films of tday and X2 as one of greatest comic book films ever

His comment of one time jump hints at just one character going to past.

He's also hinting at Matthew vaughn as producer Isn't a case of him dropping out as director and he gets a producer credit.He seems to be active producer.What's more It appears he and Simon Kinberg wrote screenplay.The assumation was he wrote the treatment and Kinberg has been writing the screenplay.That kinda disproves the speculation Vaughn pulled out as Director because he didn't want to do Days of future past.

He Is also hinting at days of future Past will mostly be using the cast of first Class and earlier films.

He's right on the money on what part of probelm with wolverine and Last Stand were.

The other Intresting comment Is he describes first class and Days of future past as vaughn prequels.For starters we have settled any debate on First Class as reboot or prequel.But,It may be clue as to how the original films tie In.Original film actors may come from alternate timeline entirely that comes out of event originally happening that leads to sentinles and time travel helps prevent the event and future and helps bring the other films come Into being.Vaughn and Bryan Singer wouldn't have to even deal with events of last Stand which both are no fan of.Plus that gives Bryan the opotion of bringing back james Marsden or Famke Janssen or both If he wants.And he can have Xavier In future without dealing with what happened In Last Stand.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #178
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
“I’d like to have that same approach and if we are bringing in a character then it shouldn’t just be for a trailer or to get a picture up online, get people excited, it should actually have a point in the story.

“The trick with that is to try and keep the cast relatively small so that you actually care about them.”
I like the sound of that a lot. An overcrowded cast is one of my main worries about this movie.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #179
Project862006
Banned User

^that is exactly how singer approached new characters aswell like nightcrawler for example he wasn't just thrown in for cool factor he was very plot driven

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #180
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
I like the sound of that a lot. An overcrowded cast is one of my main worries about this movie.
It's going to be tricky because the film's story means bringing together the First Class and original trilogy casts. We already know there will be two versions of Xavier and two versions of Magneto. That's four people straight away, without any other characters.

How on earth are they going to do it? Will some of the First Class just be written out with no explanation? Will most of the original trilogy cast be dead?
It doesn't seem much of a crossover or a reunion if we just have Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine in the future.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #181
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

That Is why I have been saying It's unlikely there will be any new characters besides target of assassination.They have to service both first Class cast and characters from
Original trilogy In future scenes.And most likely we are looking at 6 characters In future.Maybe 7 If they push It.It defently won't be just Xavier,Magneto,and Wolverine
In future.

It would be nice to get more information on film but they will realse news when they want to.In mid to late february Bryan singer will be doing Interviews for Jack the Giant
Slayer.That Is likely when we could get news on film.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #182
Angamb
Banned User

Old Charles and Erik dont need a leading role on the future. they could make two/three appareances during the future scenes, and that would be enough.

The lead on the future should be the actual x-men team, not the proffesor.

Remember that on X3 Charles had a smaller role, so Bryan could easily use him a few times, and that would be enough for fans of old Xavier and to use his name on all the marketing stuff.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #183
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Don't forget the time travel could be Xavier changing mind with younger self

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #184
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

i have a feeling it will be Xavier changing mind with younger self because most the interviews that have mentioned it have called it a element of time travel

Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #185
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Xavier changing mind with younger self Is a strong possibilty.It keeps things somewhat In line with original comic story version.And It will keep Wolverine In future although
there Is always a possabilty of recruiting 1960's wolverine with bone claws to help stop Magneto's assassination plan.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #186
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
there Is always a possabilty of recruiting 1960's wolverine with bone claws to help stop Magneto's assassination plan.
then that will open up the whole why didn't charles ever tell wolverine anything in X1 if he met him before getting his metal claws

infact in first class they tried to make sure logan didn't see charles and eric and charles and eric didn't really get to see logans face properly, so im guessing they want to keep it that way

Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #187
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Not sure if The Wolverine would only get $30 to $45 million during its first weekend. Hugh Jackman just won Golden Globes and what if he wins Oscars too. I think The Wolverine is his only major movie that will be released this year, so a lot of people would want to see this Wolverine movie. Plus 3D prices would definitely boost its numbers.
Yeah well Halle Berry won one and how'd that go for her?

Let's be clear here, the first Wolverine film was bad. No Golden Globes were given...

People remember it and not like they do Dark Knight or Harry Potter so that mid July slot will not be as generous. The odds of people rushing out to see this film are subjected simply by how bored they are that weekend not because of how great the last one was. If Pacific Rim gets decent reviews and a huge box office during it's release then that will still be a factor. Hell R.I.P.D. might even be a sleeper hit.

That $30-$45M I'm speak of is solely you guys. You're all going to rush out and see this film winning that box office that week end. Smurfs 2 comes out that following Wednesday so that's where a lot of the kids will be and let there be a new and creative catch phrase or even a Leonidas cameo/flashback for that 300 sequel and Wolverine wont be a memory. "This is Sparta!" still is though.

So anything less than a 50% box office drop that following weekend and Wolverine won't even see $100M for a month.

Edit: Just saw the RED2 trailer coming out the following week of Wolverine and can't count that film out either especially if "A Good Day To Die Hard" is a successful as "Looper".

Bruce Willis >>>> Hugh Jackman

Last edited by YoungPrime; 01-17-2013 at 08:21 PM.
YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #188
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't forget the time travel could be Xavier changing mind with younger self
Doubt it. Interviews with McAvoy have suggested that the character will be dealing with his tragedy. Not a lot of room for McAvoy-as-Stewart, nor should there be. StewartCharles visiting McAvoy Charles would be nifty, however. But total mind takeover? Count me out. And count out all those people who actually came to like or even love Charles as a character thanks to First Class. We've seen him play the boring old fart in 3 movies already, thanks. Let's see him get dark and angsty in this one.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #189
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
Yeah well Halle Berry won one and how'd that go for her?

Let's be clear here, the first Wolverine film was bad. No Golden Globes were given...

People remember it and not like they do Dark Knight or Harry Potter so that mid July slot will not be as generous. The odds of people rushing out to see this film are subjected simply by how bored they are that weekend not because of how great the last one was. If Pacific Rim gets decent reviews and a huge box office during it's release then that will still be a factor. Hell R.I.P.D. might even be a sleeper hit.

That $30-$45M I'm speak of is solely you guys. You're all going to rush out and see this film winning that box office that week end. Smurfs 2 comes out that following Wednesday so that's where a lot of the kids will be and let there be a new and creative catch phrase or even a Leonidas cameo/flashback for that 300 sequel and Wolverine wont be a memory. "This is Sparta!" still is though.

So anything less than a 50% box office drop that following weekend and Wolverine won't even see $100M for a month.
Yeah keep up your antiFox crap.X-Men Is a franchise and brand now.After mised reaction to Last STand and It being leaked online X-Men Origins:Wolverine still grossed 179 Million domesticly and 193 Million overseas.
It has what first Class lacked.Hugh jackman as wolverine.Plus this time It has
3-d to help It.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #190
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Doubt it. Interviews with McAvoy have suggested that the character will be dealing with his tragedy. Not a lot of room for McAvoy-as-Stewart, nor should there be. StewartCharles visiting McAvoy Charles would be nifty, however. But total mind takeover? Count me out. And count out all those people who actually came to like or even love Charles as a character thanks to First Class. We've seen him play the boring old fart in 3 movies already, thanks. Let's see him get dark and angsty in this one.
Inless Days of future past picks up short time after first Class they won't be dealing with Xavier adjusting to being crippled.It could be a few years after
First Class.

You keep dismissing the older films.And a big part of this film will have Xavier
trying to stop Magneto to prevent an assassination.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #191
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
then that will open up the whole why didn't charles ever tell wolverine anything in X1 if he met him before getting his metal claws

infact in first class they tried to make sure logan didn't see charles and eric and charles and eric didn't really get to see logans face properly, so im guessing they want to keep it that way
Your forgetting that X2 hinted at past knowledge of Wolverine by both
Xavier and Magneto.Xavier keeping secret Isn't a crazy thing.It fits In with
comics and Xavier In Last Stand.

It's more an Issue of why Beast didn't know Wolverine In Last Stand.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #192
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i have a feeling it will be Xavier changing mind with younger self because most the interviews that have mentioned it have called it a element of time travel
I'm starting to believe that. I'd rather just good ol time travel.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #193
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
“It can be,” agreed Millar. “I remember when I was writing Ultimate X-Men and people were saying ‘I want to see Gambit, I want to see Rogue, I want to see…’ Everybody has a list, and at first you think ‘I’m going to please everyone’ and then you realize you’re pleasing no-one by just throwing in ten second cameos, you know.
Well that's funny because a lot of people seemed happy to see Woverine's 5 second cameo in First Class even though he served no purpose to the plot. So what are you really saying Mr Millar?

As for too many characters, there should not be a limit. Nobody is complaining about the number of characters in X1 & X2...oddly enough.

huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #194
JP
Smelly

Is it really that difficult to figure out? X3 and XO:W were loaded with character after character after character. Most of which did not service the plot and just made the film seem bloated. That is NOT the case with X1, X2, and First Class.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #195
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

Is it really that difficult to figure out? X3 and XO:W were loaded with character after character after character. Most of which did not service the plot and just made the film seem bloated. That is NOT the case with X1, X2, and First Class.
Yeh right

If Wolverine wasn't in First Class would the film's plot change? Was he essential to the plot? No!

X1 had at least 10 main mutants plus other cameo characters. XO: Wolverine had approximately 7 mutants plus other characters. How many were in First Class? Whats your point!? What is Millars point? I dont see any limitation on the numbers of characters you can have as long as theyre well written.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #196
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Wolverine's cameo was mostly surprise thing for fans.

In X-Men and X2 they throw In characters as students at school.It wasn't a case of look people see who's In film.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #197
huzzah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine's cameo was mostly surprise thing for fans.

In X-Men and X2 they throw In characters as students at school.It wasn't a case of look people see who's In film.
X1: Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Xavier, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Magneto, Toad, Mystique, Sabretooth (I didn't include normal humans and the other students)

X2: X1 + Collussus, Nightcrawler, Pyro, Deathstrike.

That's a pretty big list already.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #198
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzah View Post
Yeh right

If Wolverine wasn't in First Class would the film's plot change? Was he essential to the plot? No!
It's called a cameo.
Quote:
[
X1 had at least 10 main mutants plus other cameo characters. XO: Wolverine had approximately 7 mutants plus other characters. How many were in First Class? Whats your point!? What is Millars point? I dont see any limitation on the numbers of characters you can have as long as theyre well written.
Yes, X1 had a hand full of character who serviced the plot in one way or another.

In XO:W? Not so much. They just added a **** ton of well known character who had no place in the film just for the sake of it. Gambit? Blob? Emma? Cyclops? Deadpool?

Same in X3. The 3 big new names (compared to only one big new name in X2, Nightcrawler) were Beast, Angel, and Kitty. But only Beast really serviced the story and had any impact on the audience. Angel and Kitty were just... there. And don't get me started on Psylocke, Callisto, Juggernaut, etc.

With both X3 and Wolverine it seemed the idea was to cram as many well known mutants as they possibly could into one film. You're delusional if you think that was the case with the other 3 films.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #199
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I agree it's all down to the writing.

Stuffing characters into films doesn't work because they start to feel random and meangingless and because fans start to realise they're being pandered to.

Avengers did very well without cameos of Ant-Man, Vision, etc, and Dark Knight Rises didn't have multiple cameos among the prisoners so that fans could say 'Oooh, was that Calendar Man, was that a glimpse of Dr Phosphorus?!'

You have to be careful with cameos in these films and all characters should have a meaning and purpose.

With Wolverine in First Class, we did already know who he was so it was a cameo from a known actor/character to give the film a sense of humour and familiarity for the mainstream. I could have done without it, to be honest, but I can see why it was there.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #200
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Did Tony Stark's cameo at end of Increidble Hulk have any reason?No especilly since virtully nothing In that film was carried over to Avengers.

Wolverine's cameo was a secret pretty much till press screenings.everyone knew about the Stark cameo.

Basiclly Bryan Singer has said he wanted the mansion to not be just the few X-Men but feel like a school.And basiclly have the X-men teaching varation of the New mutants.
Iceman,Pyro,Kitty,and Jubilee were In X-Men as small touches not to say to audence look who's In film.That allowed Iceman and Pyro's roles to expand In X2 and last Stand.
and for them to do more with Kitty In Last Stand.

There was far too much In last Stand of just throwing In characters for hell of It.Beast was only one with an Important role.Angel's entire role was done in 3 scenes.What you saw In trailer,showing up at school,and saving father.Kitty's role was to cover up fact they were only able to use Anna Paquin for a short amount of time.

Psylocke and multiple man served no purpose.Callistro was just there to give storm an advarsary.Juggernaut was selected to be new Sabretooth/Deathstrike.

In origins they were just throwing In bunch of characters who had no place In film.

If Bryan Singer was trying to cram In characters Pyro would have been member of brotherhood not student In X-Men.Beast or Angel would have been In X2.Sunspot would have been In first Class as member of hellfire club.