View Poll Results: Re-cast Hal?
Yes 128 58.45%
No 91 41.55%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #76
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

I'd rather keep him on Supernatural. Also, given his constant use of "Batgrowl" on Supernatural, I don't think he should have the role, it wouldn't exactly boost my confidence.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #77
batlovescatDC
Tragic Love

I look at it from two viewpoints.

I want Reynolds back. I think that Reynolds is very talented actor and given the right material he can give us a very good Hal Jordan. His performance was definitely the best part about GL. So I really hope that they give him a second chance in JL. Also it would be nice to have at least two familiar faces... Cavill and Reynolds, because we all know that Christian Bale isn't coming back as Bats/Bruce.

However, I do realize that if they are trying to reboot the Green Lantern franchise and start anew because of the failure of the first movie then it usually needs to be completely brand new when it comes to all aspects. And that includes casting. So I wouldn't be completely negative towards the idea of a recast.

But if it was up to me, I would bring Reynolds back.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #78
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

I would say keep Ryan as Hal but make a darker reboot of Green Lantern and called it the Emerald Knight..

Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #79
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

i say keep him or replace him with pine if you want to replace him.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #80
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Don't recast Hal just go with John stewart instead. Adds diversity and lets you keep your distance from the john carter of 2011.

Two birds with one stone.
Ditto

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #81
Lalbiel

Hell No. It would be like copying Marvel (Hulk). Just hope its a different Lantern!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #82
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Marvel didnt recast because the movie wasnt big, they only recasted because they couldnt come to a deal with the orig. actor. So it would be a little different. But Ryan isnt the reason the movie failed.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #83
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I say no for recasting. I don't think Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern would ruin the movie. They just need to get the story right. Plus the Green Lantern is still new, it just came out in 2011 and its still fresh in the mind. So keep Ryan Reynolds and I don't want WB to reboot Green Lantern so early.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #84
Hound55
Byfar The Most Evil Thing

Bring Ryan back, make him Wally and do away with Hal altogether for another GL who doesn't suck.

16,18, not much difference mentally or physically. It's a number over there. Here however it's the difference between mid life crisis with hot chicks with daddy issues and pound me in the ass prison. - Anubis

More Anubis' greatest hits:
"Families are Gods way of teaching us to get along with people we don't particularly like."
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #85
B
[insert witty comment]

Yes.

Ryan Reynolds in my opinion would have been far more fitting to The Flash than Green Lantern.. or Deadpool.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #86
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I just visited a thread in the Marvel forums where some poster said that Justice League movie would be cast with no name actors, it is true to some extent.

Cavill is a new face, Batman, Flash and WW would be someone who is young and has had little experience of big budget movies, relatively new actor.

JL needs some well known, talented actors, Ryan Reynolds is one such actor, so keep him.

And I don't think that WB are in any hurry to reboot GL, last GL movie happened 16 months ago.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #87
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

They should be in a hurry to distance themselves from that godawful mess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound55 View Post
do away with Hal altogether for another GL who doesn't suck.
Ditto. Hal's the most easily replaced member. GA wouldn't miss him one bit

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!

Last edited by brainchild81; 01-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #88
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

The thing I think people are confusing here is that distancing yourself from Ryan isn't necessarily a dig at his performance or at him as an actor. It's a smart business move, trying to distance themselves from the face of arguably the biggest bomb in their company's history.

It's the same reason you won't see a lot of John Carter actors popping up in Disney films in the future.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #89
az824
Side-Kick

So I voted yes, but I actually really like Blake as Carol, even if not many did. So much I would be okay with keeping Reynolds

Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #90
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
The thing I think people are confusing here is that distancing yourself from Ryan isn't necessarily a dig at his performance or at him as an actor. It's a smart business move, trying to distance themselves from the face of arguably the biggest bomb in their company's history.

It's the same reason you won't see a lot of John Carter actors popping up in Disney films in the future.
Thank you

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #91
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
I am not sure... X-Men Origins:Wolverine was a moderate success financially but failed critically, yet Hugh Jack man is still going to appear in another wolverine movie from Fox Studios.

Terminator Salvation was a failure but still, WB cast Sam Worthington in the sequel to Clash of the Titans.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #92
greenlantern248
Side-Kick

I voted No, keep Ryan as Hal.
Like other people have said it wasn't his acting it was a poor script.
I personally like the Green Lantern movie, and I'm one of the biggest Green Lantern fans in the state that I live in. I thought they did a decent job with the movie. I like the cgi suit and the performances for the cast.

So in a JL movie I want Reynolds to be Hal.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #93
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Tie in the film... sort of.

Reference Hal Jordon and the Corps, etc etc... but move on to John Stewart.

My buddy and I were discussing this yesterday and came up with an idea for all of the characters with the JL... a short film miniseries prequel to JL. For the months leading up to the film, release these episodes online as quick backgrounds for the characters. They would be set up much like Mortal Kombat Legacy. Each character has an 8-10 minute short film to link them to the JL film.

For Green Lantern, show the ring finding John Stewart, him being summoned to the Guardians, they explain what happened with Hal Jordan (whatever path the writers decide), reference to John replacing him and his training beginning. Maybe even toss in a reference to some bigger threat coming to Earth (Darkseid).

Do something similar for Flash and Wonder Woman. Maybe a quick glance of their backstories and a quick battle with a lesser known villain. Even do one with Superman, but have his tie in with Bruce Wayne, them discussing a threat coming and talking about needing Batman (Christian Bale optional).

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #94
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I am not sure... X-Men Origins:Wolverine was a moderate success financially but failed critically, yet Hugh Jack man is still going to appear in another wolverine movie from Fox Studios.

Terminator Salvation was a failure but still, WB cast Sam Worthington in the sequel to Clash of the Titans.
Green Lantern was a critical and commercial disaster, asking him to reprise the role would be foolish, as it would bring baggage to the film.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #95
super85
Side-Kick

Either bring back Reynolds, or cast a John Stewart GL. I really don't find the GL movie to be that horribly bad either, I thought it was a typical "averege" comicbook film(yeah averege isn't great in this genre), and I enjoyed it a lot more than for example Daredevil, Ghost Rider(ugh), Ghostrider 2,Elektra, Wolverine, Blade Trinity, Fantastic Four etc. Maybe that was the biggest problem, that it wasn't anything special. I don't get the hatred over it though. It is a flawed film, that had studio interference, but I still don't understand all the hatred from a big part of the fanboys.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #96
Crazymaverick
Obsessed with the \S/

I say recast the part with Gyllenhaal or Gosling if they want to go the big movie star way.

Or with Ackles if they want someone less known.

Last edited by Crazymaverick; 01-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #97
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by super85 View Post
Either bring back Reynolds, or cast a John Stewart GL. I really don't find the GL movie to be that horribly bad either, I thought it was a typical "averege" comicbook film(yeah averege isn't great in this genre), and I enjoyed it a lot more than for example Daredevil, Ghost Rider(ugh), Ghostrider 2,Elektra, Wolverine, Blade Trinity, Fantastic Four etc. Maybe that was the biggest problem, that it wasn't anything special. I don't get the hatred over it though. It is a flawed film, that had studio interference, but I still don't understand all the hatred from a big part of the fanboys.
Even if you don't think it's that bad, you can't deny that the reaction was highly negative. Critics, fans, and the general public were nearly at total consensus.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #98
SlamAdams
Side-Kick

I voted yes, but I'm more of a sure. I am confident that Ryan Reynolds can be a good Hal even though everything about the movie is pretty underwhelming. I'd also be interested in a sequel to that movie. Wouldnt lose sleep if neither comes to pass though

Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #99
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

It would be tough to sit through another GL origin again so soon. Maybe Reynold's GL could be like Bana's Hulk, and the JL movie is the opportunity to introduce a new take on Hal without going through an origin movie all over again.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #100
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
It would be tough to sit through another GL origin again so soon. Maybe Reynold's GL could be like Bana's Hulk, and the JL movie is the opportunity to introduce a new take on Hal without going through an origin movie all over again.
There have been 3 Hulk actors in the last 10 years, and they never repeated his origins. Replacing Reynolds doesn't mean ditching the origin.

Closed Thread