The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

View Poll Results: Beyond or Returns?
Batman Beyond 21 53.85%
Dark Knight Returns 17 43.59%
Other Future 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #26
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,235
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Calm it down before I get my thread closed, please.

__________________
SPIDER-MAN, Favorite Hero
JLA, Favorite Team(Well, really the X-MEN, but my name is sticking)

spidermanJLA!~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
BatmanFanboy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 150
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Mwahahahaa

BatmanFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Okaaaay...

Anyways, a number of things set BB out in front here for me. One is that the characterization of old Wayne is simply better here than in DKR. In BB he is grumpy, cynical, weighed down by his past... but still ultimately heroic, still holding onto his ideals and beliefs, not surrendering his philosophy just because he is tired of fighting the darkness. There's a consistency and strength there despite the fact that he's a darker Bruce.

Then there is the fact that the story is a lot more fun. It isn't as self-absorbed. DKR is at points pretentious - BB is able to confront dark themes at points without letting them bog the story down. BB has its fair share of overly cheesy episodes, but by and large the story, setting, and cast of characters are more enjoyable.

Which story do I find myself returning to time and time again? Beyond, not DKR.

That's not to say that someone who likes DKR doesn't have a valid opinion. It was influential and important as a work, especially when first released. Ultimately to me it is not as enjoyable. But I understand if others disagree.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
Mwahahahaa
If this isn't trolling I don't know what is

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,235
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Okaaaay...

Anyways, a number of things set BB out in front here for me. One is that the characterization of old Wayne is simply better here than in DKR. In BB he is grumpy, cynical, weighed down by his past... but still ultimately heroic, still holding onto his ideals and beliefs, not surrendering his philosophy just because he is tired of fighting the darkness. There's a consistency and strength there despite the fact that he's a darker Bruce.

Then there is the fact that the story is a lot more fun. It isn't as self-absorbed. DKR is at points pretentious - BB is able to confront dark themes at points without letting them bog the story down. BB has its fair share of overly cheesy episodes, but by and large the story, setting, and cast of characters are more enjoyable.



Which story do I find myself returning to time and time again? Beyond, not DKR.

That's not to say that someone who likes DKR doesn't have a valid opinion. It was influential and important as a work, especially when first released. Ultimately to me it is not as enjoyable. But I understand if others disagree.

At first I really didn't like the fact that Bruce wasn't Batman but Terry really grew on me. Plus don't forget one of the best theme songs ever.
niiianna!!, na! Nuaaaa, naaa!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
SPIDER-MAN, Favorite Hero
JLA, Favorite Team(Well, really the X-MEN, but my name is sticking)

spidermanJLA!~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #31
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

To be honest, there is one thing I'm not fond of in the Beyond-verse: the fact that Terry turns out to be Bruce's clone / son. I kinda felt that was unnecessary really.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #32
spidermanJLA!~
SUPERHERO
 
spidermanJLA!~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swingin' around NYC
Posts: 1,235
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I didn't really like how the JL turned out that much.

__________________
SPIDER-MAN, Favorite Hero
JLA, Favorite Team(Well, really the X-MEN, but my name is sticking)

spidermanJLA!~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
To be honest, there is one thing I'm not fond of in the Beyond-verse: the fact that Terry turns out to be Bruce's clone / son. I kinda felt that was unnecessary really.
Yeah but at least that was a product of JLU. I have to say my favourite episode(s) of the series was The Call knowing that in the DCAU that Superman is still around at that time is fantastic.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
BatmanFanboy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 150
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Even though I love that episode, the premise is a bit flimsy. The execution of everything in that episode, and even the concept of bookending BB in the JLU universe was really cool. I mean, chronologically isn't it kind of a bookend to the DC animated universe, is there any stories that would take place AFTER the point in time where Terry is a full fledged adult?

I also agree that The Call is the best episode of the series, even though it's a two parter it had the most intrigue to me. It had some cool twists and turns that it almost could have been expanded into an animated feature. Beyond that my second favorite episode is the one with Talia, that episode was just heavy for a lot of reasons.

I think DKR was a product of its time, which is why some of the elements of the story don't hold up as well for some of you. Personally, I always looked at it as sort of an elseworlds story and not the definitive vision of an elderly Batman. All I have to say is, reading it for the first time as a 13 year old it effected me pretty deeply. I had never really read anything like it and by the time that dialogue between Bruce and Clark kicks in("I want you to remember, in all your private moments") I was practically shaking. I don't think anything in Batman Beyond is as exciting as the storytelling in the DKR. I do love me some Return Of The Joker though, that was a rather excellent movie.

BatmanFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #35
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
To be honest, there is one thing I'm not fond of in the Beyond-verse: the fact that Terry turns out to be Bruce's clone / son. I kinda felt that was unnecessary really.
I agree here.

Actually, I've agreed with your analysis completely so far.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,011
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
Haha oh man I forgot this forum is populated by 12 year olds. Well enjoy guys. DKR sucks.. I forgot, that's fact in this thread apparently.
Well....I'm actually 56 years old....so that shoots a hole in that theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
Mwahahahaa
You have received a warning for your behavior....please post more civilly or you will graduate to infractions or worse.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #37
Visceral
Side-Kick
 
Visceral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,131
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I really don't think Bruce Timm would have created the Beyond if not for Miller's Batman. Some of the story tropes come straight from the novel.

I'm not saying batmanfanboy wasn't trolling a bit, but I do find that TDKR is very deep and I love it very much so saying its crap when it is critically renowned would come as a bit of a surprise to most who love what miller has done.

__________________

Before we begin does anyone want to get out?
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,237
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I love the concept of Batman Beyond more than the series/movies themselves. Some of it is too cartoony or ridiculous (cloning) but it's still friggin cool as hell. Very creative i thought.

Im also not a fan of the artwork for TDKReturns. The animation turned it into something much more appealing to look at visually. It's very 80's. Much like how i think Year One seems to be very 70's. Therefore Beyond comes off as more fascinating.

But DKReturns wins for me. Because of what it stands for, what it influenced. It's a single story versus a series (+ film) and because of that it's more strong and compact. It's more mature and definately not tailor made for the kids..which is more up my alley. Miller-Joker wins as well.

As of right now, Returns has my vote. But that could change. The new animated films for Dark Knight Returns and the parts of Nolans films that are inspired by it are making me appreciate it so much more. But ill give it some time to wear off. Beyond is kick-ass and there's no denying that.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #39
the5timechamp
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 172
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Batman Beyond easily..
the action in TDKR animated is amazing but batman to me comes off as unlikeable..i am aware that batman can be interpreted in various ways, this just happens to be one i dont enjoy as much.

The Bruce of Batman Beyond is more how i envisioned him to be like, that plus the dna of the animated series is all over the beyond series which makes it that much more enjoyable (well interesting at least, there was nothing enjoyable about what happened to poor talia)

All things considered even Bruce in Kingdom Come is preferable to Dark Knight Returns.


Last edited by the5timechamp; 01-17-2013 at 11:55 PM.
the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #40
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,853
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
But DKReturns wins for me. Because of what it stands for, what it influenced. It's a single story versus a series (+ film) and because of that it's more strong and compact. It's more mature and definately not tailor made for the kids..which is more up my alley. Miller-Joker wins as well.

As of right now, Returns has my vote. But that could change. The new animated films for Dark Knight Returns and the parts of Nolans films that are inspired by it are making me appreciate it so much more. But ill give it some time to wear off. Beyond is kick-ass and there's no denying that.
I share your sentiment.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #41
BatmanFanboy
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 150
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

People, don't you see the hypocrisy here? Saying TDKR sucks as if its a fact on a freakin Batman forum is insulting and trolling in itself. So the Killing Joke sucks now because Its not an animated series? I'm just getting singled out cause this thread is populated by Beyond fans who made a point to be rude about it in the first place. Just like everyone turned on Burton, then Nolan, and now Frank Millers take on Batman. It's just sad and unfair

BatmanFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #42
Drakepool
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 472
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Well forgive me for having a different opinion. -_-

Drakepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #43
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
People, don't you see the hypocrisy here? Saying TDKR sucks as if its a fact on a freakin Batman forum is insulting and trolling in itself. So the Killing Joke sucks now because Its not an animated series? I'm just getting singled out cause this thread is populated by Beyond fans who made a point to be rude about it in the first place. Just like everyone turned on Burton, then Nolan, and now Frank Millers take on Batman. It's just sad and unfair
There's no hypocrisy at all, people can have whatever opinion they like. You are the one whose acting like your opinion is the only one that matters. You're also the one whose trolling cause you can't let it go.

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #44
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,428
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
People, don't you see the hypocrisy here? Saying TDKR sucks as if its a fact on a freakin Batman forum is insulting and trolling in itself. So the Killing Joke sucks now because Its not an animated series? I'm just getting singled out cause this thread is populated by Beyond fans who made a point to be rude about it in the first place. Just like everyone turned on Burton, then Nolan, and now Frank Millers take on Batman. It's just sad and unfair
Please, people turned on Frank Miller when he went insane and started writing his contrived crap like Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder.

Anyway, my vote goes to neither. In order, my preference of Batman futures goes:

Batman #700
Kingdom Come
Earth-Two
Batman Beyond
Dark Knight Returns

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #45
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Batman Beyond no doubt.

I have a loose adaptation via The Dark Knight Rises and I will have the entire adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns in animated form once I get Part 2, so I wouldn't mind if we never see a live action film of Dark Knight Returns tbh.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #46
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanFanboy View Post
People, don't you see the hypocrisy here? Saying TDKR sucks as if its a fact on a freakin Batman forum is insulting and trolling in itself.
Where's the hypocrisy except for your posts exclaiming what you say is fact?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #47
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Where's the hypocrisy except for your posts exclaiming what you say is fact?
that's what I said

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

I think it's a very keen observation to point out that Returns did influence Beyond to a degree.

Here's a question for everybody: Have you all read the Batman Beyond comics? Or did you stop at the cartoon?

Just curious what the consensus is on the comics.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #49
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I think it's a very keen observation to point out that Returns did influence Beyond to a degree.

Here's a question for everybody: Have you all read the Batman Beyond comics? Or did you stop at the cartoon?

Just curious what the consensus is on the comics.
I read it

__________________
MAN OF STEEL


THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #50
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,011
Default Re: Batman Beyond or Dark Knight Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I read it
Well, how much did you read, and what did you think? That's what I'm curious about.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.